IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Capitol riot , donald trump , protest incidents , Trump controversies , Washington DC incidents

Reply
Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM   #2761
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Port Townsend, Washington
Posts: 30,637
My wife played his monologue from last night while I was exercising. Tolkien indeed showed up!
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM   #2762
No Other
Muse
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 643
Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
So, is it your supposition that military and former military are less likely to have been equally represented among those who were not charged? Is that an assertion to support the military? Have you thought that through?
No, I never said anything close to that. I was correcting an obvious error in the summation that the Poster gave about the article.
No Other is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM   #2763
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 12,844
Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
What I think I like most about this is the statement in the footnote that "The rightful King of Gondor had abandoned the throne." Not only did they cite Tolkein as a legal precedent, they got the precedent wrong.

Dave
OTOH Aragorn's ancestors, being the descendants of the first King of Gondor's brother, had a legitimate claim to the throne for centuries after the last King died and chose not to pursue it. So it's sort of true.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM   #2764
rdaneel
Illuminator
 
rdaneel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: I'M IN THE PHONEBOOK! I'M SOMEBODY!!!
Posts: 4,213
Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Another emergency lawsuit requesting the US governement be placed in "stewardship" citing as legal precedent <checks notes> Lord Of The Rings.


https://twitter.com/questauthority/s...27169109762048
You know, there's this webcomic I read called PvP, and there's a minor character named Oliver Smoot. A complete parody of a lawyer, and I always thought no real lawyer could be that stupid.

The past three months have been an incredible eye opener.
__________________
"Let me guess, my theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor
"I heard some things I can't prove from someone I don't know, and God dammit, that's enough for me." - Penny Arcade
"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!" - Agatha Heterodyne
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM   #2765
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster
 
cosmicaug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,461
Originally Posted by No Other View Post
No, I never said anything close to that. I was correcting an obvious error in the summation that the Poster gave about the article.
So as presumably those in who accessed the Capitol building were the most serious about seditioning, we can say that folk with a military history are overrepresented when looking at the more serious population?

The ones outside, we do not know.
__________________
--
August Pamplona
cosmicaug is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM   #2766
Cavemonster
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,252
Originally Posted by rdaneel View Post
You know, there's this webcomic I read called PvP, and there's a minor character named Oliver Smoot. A complete parody of a lawyer, and I always thought no real lawyer could be that stupid.

The past three months have been an incredible eye opener.
Pvp is still going?
__________________
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:22 PM   #2767
TJM
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger
 
TJM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 21,596
Today's dimwit traitor first made a national ass of himself for defying covid restrictions:

https://finance.yahoo.com/finance/ne...215227602.html

And today he's looking at a serious timeout:

https://www.justice.gov/opa/page/file/1359221/download

Just keeps getting better and better. Go feds!
__________________


Laughing my ass off as Trump's brown shirts are rounded up, one by one.
TJM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM   #2768
rdaneel
Illuminator
 
rdaneel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: I'M IN THE PHONEBOOK! I'M SOMEBODY!!!
Posts: 4,213
Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
Pvp is still going?
Yep, he did a reboot last May, jumped it forward a little over a decade and made Brent's daughter Katie the central character.

http://pvponline.com/comic
__________________
"Let me guess, my theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor
"I heard some things I can't prove from someone I don't know, and God dammit, that's enough for me." - Penny Arcade
"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!" - Agatha Heterodyne
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:26 PM   #2769
marting
Master Poster
 
marting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,047
You can't make this stuff up.

Dr. Simone Gold, one of the "America's Front Line Doctors" of HCQ "fame" was one of the Capitol stormers and was arrested shortly after giving this speech:

https://www.facebook.com/Covid19trut...n=1&glossary=1

Interesting mix of a few facts, a lot of distortions, and some outright drivel. It was, however, delivered with passion to an audience that wants to believe her.

Gold, who founded America’s Frontline Doctors last spring with help from the Tea Party Patriots organization, was arrested on Monday in Beverly Hills, where she lives, and faces charges of entering a restricted building, violent entry and disorderly conduct.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ntline-doctors

“She and her organization show a wilful ignorance of science and the scientific method, as well as a disrespect for accomplished scientific institutions and brilliant scientists,” said Dr Jeffrey Koplan, an epidemiologist and vice president for Global Health at Emory University who used to head the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
__________________
Flying's easy. Walking on water, now that's cool.
marting is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:20 AM   #2770
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 85,842
Originally Posted by marting View Post
You can't make this stuff up.

Dr. Simone Gold, one of the "America's Front Line Doctors" of HCQ "fame" was one of the Capitol stormers and was arrested shortly after giving this speech:

https://www.facebook.com/Covid19trut...n=1&glossary=1

Interesting mix of a few facts, a lot of distortions, and some outright drivel. It was, however, delivered with passion to an audience that wants to believe her.

Gold, who founded America’s Frontline Doctors last spring with help from the Tea Party Patriots organization, was arrested on Monday in Beverly Hills, where she lives, and faces charges of entering a restricted building, violent entry and disorderly conduct.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ntline-doctors

“She and her organization show a wilful ignorance of science and the scientific method, as well as a disrespect for accomplished scientific institutions and brilliant scientists,” said Dr Jeffrey Koplan, an epidemiologist and vice president for Global Health at Emory University who used to head the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Simone Gold, MD, JD

Another one of these people who you wonder how they possibly got their degrees.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:48 AM   #2771
timhau
NWO Litter Technician
 
timhau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Posts: 14,368
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Simone Gold, MD, JD

Another one of these people who you wonder how they possibly got their degrees.
A friend of mine is a full professor at the local university. What he hates most in his job are dumb, hard-working grad students. Smart, hard-working ones go on to do great things, smart lazy ones generally do ok but the wasted potential is a shame. Dumb and lazy ones just disappear eventually without csusing trouble, but the dumb hard-working ones cause a huge amount of work that you know will not lead anywhere.

So maybe they just gave the degrees to get rid of her.
__________________
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord, in his wisdom, doesn't work that way. I just stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
- Emo Philips
timhau is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:02 AM   #2772
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 30,990
There's a meme going around which, loosely paraphrased, reads: "Trump didn't pardon a single Trump supporter who invaded the Capitol. He did pardon Steve Bannon, who stole money from Trump supporters. Do you get it now?"
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:15 AM   #2773
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 22,689
Originally Posted by timhau View Post
A friend of mine is a full professor at the local university. What he hates most in his job are dumb, hard-working grad students. Smart, hard-working ones go on to do great things, smart lazy ones generally do ok but the wasted potential is a shame. Dumb and lazy ones just disappear eventually without csusing trouble, but the dumb hard-working ones cause a huge amount of work that you know will not lead anywhere.

So maybe they just gave the degrees to get rid of her.
https://twitter.com/garius/status/11...421760512?s=20

good twitter thread about this

https://twitter.com/garius/status/11...474366978?s=20

Quote:
John Bull
@garius
Replying to
@garius
Anyway, there's not really a point to this thread. I just find it weirdly appropriate (given the time we live in) that the best description of Theresa May's leadership style is by Hammerstein, the FIRST General to spot the insidious rise of fascism, and what it would cost Germany

5:22 PM · Apr 2, 2019·Twitter Web Client
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Expenditure on healthcare
http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/health-data.htm
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:47 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.