ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » International Skeptics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 22nd September 2019, 01:15 AM   #1
BDBoop
Modest Goddess

Search not successful

I am trying to find the earliest Amanda Knox thread, but I think the furthest back I saw was number 13. Is there a search term I can use to go back to the very beginning? Iíve always been curious, but never followed through to find out what was going on.

Any help offered would be sincerely appreciated.
Old 22nd September 2019, 04:40 AM   #2
dann
Philosopher

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=288439
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=176868
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=161229
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 22nd September 2019 at 04:42 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 06:07 PM   #3
BDBoop
Modest Goddess

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Thank you so much.
Old 23rd September 2019, 10:02 AM   #4
Nova Land
/
Tagger

Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
I am trying to find the earliest Amanda Knox thread, but I think the furthest back I saw was number 13. Is there a search term I can use to go back to the very beginning? Iíve always been curious, but never followed through to find out what was going on.

One way to find the earliest thread on a topic is to do a tag search. In this case, for example, you could do a tag search for Amanda Knox. That turns up 52 different threads about Amanda Knox, going as far back as one from 2007 Social Issues and Current Events, and it includes all 29 installments of the Trials and Errors series.

One simple way to do a tag search is to find a thread on the topic you're interested in (such as any installment of the Amanda Knox series in Trials and Errors,), look at it's tags (found at the top of each page of the thread), and click one you think will be on other threads you're interested (such as the Amanda Knox tag, which should be included on any thread where she's a focus on the discussion).

The other way to do it is to click on the Tags button (on the menu line at the top of each page when you're logged in) and enter the term you want to search for.

If you're looking for threads about a particular person, the tag would be the person's full name -- first name and last name, not simply their last name -- so in this case you'd enter Amanda Knox, and then click to search. That, again, will turn up the list of 52 threads about Amanda Knox.

Obviously, this only works if the threads you are looking for (a) have been tagged and (b) have been tagged correctly. So it's not a perfect method. Still, it often will help you find what you're looking for -- and, in the case of Amanda Knox threads, it works pretty well.
Nova Land is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 01:52 PM   #5
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Interesting fact about search results. The default result set is limited to 275 results ordered by most recent first.

However, one can chose "earliest first" as an option in "Advanced Search" which results in the oldest 275 matches.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 04:31 AM   #6
RoseMontague
Published Author

I see you were already helped on this one and that cartwheel thread is a good starting point. That's some serious word count to read. I wonder how many thousands of posts have been moved to AAH over the years. Probably a plethora in places like FM as well.
RoseMontague is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 12:51 PM   #7
BDBoop
Modest Goddess

Thanks, all!

The thing is, there's a book out which I've just purchased, Trial by Fury. So once I read it, I want to see what they are talking about. I'd seen the threads always at the top every time I swing through - so I figured this was a logical place to start.
Old 24th September 2019, 11:48 PM   #8
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by RoseMontague View Post
I see you were already helped on this one and that cartwheel thread is a good starting point. That's some serious word count to read. I wonder how many thousands of posts have been moved to AAH over the years. Probably a plethora in places like FM as well.
I cannot find many threads on the topic in AAH. However did find this
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ag=Amanda+Knox

It gives all (read most of) the threads on the topic.
Old 25th September 2019, 01:41 AM   #9
RoseMontague
Published Author

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
I cannot find many threads on the topic in AAH. However did find this
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ag=Amanda+Knox

It gives all (read most of) the threads on the topic.
Many of the AAH threads are here....
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...=4942730&pp=25
RoseMontague is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 01:45 AM   #10
RoseMontague
Published Author

Thanks, all!

The thing is, there's a book out which I've just purchased, Trial by Fury. So once I read it, I want to see what they are talking about. I'd seen the threads always at the top every time I swing through - so I figured this was a logical place to start.
I've read the Monster of Florence book which is related (by nature of the prosecutor) to the Knox case but not that one. The discussion here was just part of the internet wide flame wars. Many of the websites hosting the discussions are now long gone.
Old 25th September 2019, 06:31 AM   #11
Nova Land
/
Tagger

No, that link won't help others see what your search turned up. In order to see the list of AAH threads they'll need to do the search themselves.

To do that:

(1) Click the Search button in the menu line which appears along the top of the page when one is logged in to ISF.

(2) A search box pop-up will appear. Inside it, about midway down, one of the options it gives is Advanced Search. Click on that.

(3) That opens the advanced search page. In the keyword box at top left, enter Amanda (or Knox). Directly below, click to select search entire posts (rather than search titles only) In the Search in Forums section on the right, go down the list until you find Abandon All Hope (directly below Sports) and click to select it. And in the Show Results As box at the very bottom left, select Threads.

(4) All right, now you're all set. Click on Search Now. That should turn up 213 AAH threads in which the word Amanda appears (or 212 in which the word Knox appears).

(Some of these are threads about other topics in which Amanda Knox got mentioned, such as the thread about Elizabeth Warren's ancestry, but most of these are splits from Amanda Knox threads.)
Nova Land is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 08:47 AM   #12
RoseMontague
Published Author

Originally Posted by Nova Land View Post
No, that link won't help others see what your search turned up. In order to see the list of AAH threads they'll need to do the search themselves.

To do that:

(1) Click the Search button in the menu line which appears along the top of the page when one is logged in to ISF.

(2) A search box pop-up will appear. Inside it, about midway down, one of the options it gives is Advanced Search. Click on that.

(3) That opens the advanced search page. In the keyword box at top left, enter Amanda (or Knox). Directly below, click to select search entire posts (rather than search titles only) In the Search in Forums section on the right, go down the list until you find Abandon All Hope (directly below Sports) and click to select it. And in the Show Results As box at the very bottom left, select Threads.

(4) All right, now you're all set. Click on Search Now. That should turn up 213 AAH threads in which the word Amanda appears (or 212 in which the word Knox appears).

(Some of these are threads about other topics in which Amanda Knox got mentioned, such as the thread about Elizabeth Warren's ancestry, but most of these are splits from Amanda Knox threads.)
Hey, thanks ⬆
Old 25th September 2019, 09:09 AM   #13
Myriad
Hyperthetical

When I went looking for those early Knox threads a few months ago, I remembered that a cartwheel figured prominently in the early discussion. "Cartwheel" made a good search term.

Finding a word that's likely to occur in the target but rarely used generally, to narrow down the search, is the soul of search fu. In the early days of online retail I once wanted to find instructional video tapes for playing pool. But "pool video" was useless for searching because both words apply to a wide variety of things, and things like "instructional" and "game" and "how to play" weren't any help. The key to finding what I wanted was "billiards." Lesson learned, and well applied in the years since.
Old 25th September 2019, 03:26 PM   #14
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

In my search I can find only three threads, which only one is split from the mega thread. I did search only the titles in AAH, so any posts where she was only mentioned would not appear.
Old 25th September 2019, 05:52 PM   #15
Nova Land
/
Tagger

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
In my search I can find only three threads, which only one is split from the mega thread. I did search only the titles in AAH, so any posts where she was only mentioned would not appear.

Yes, if you select the search title only option, only 3 of the many AAH threads turn up. I don't know why the search does not work properly for search by title, but it doesn't.

Here are some of the AAH Amanda Knox threads which do not show up if one selects the search titles only option, even though (as you can see) the word Amanda definitely is part of these thread titles. (Some of these threads have the same title -- since they were split off the same thread -- so I've included the posting date to help make it clear that these are all different AAH threads.)

... and many many more!

In addition to not turning up these AAH threads which were split off the Amanda Knox-titled threads and thus have Amanda in the AAH titles, a search on titles only also omits a number of Amanda Knox threads which don't have her name in the title. For example:

As I noted before, there are more than 200 AAH threads which will turn up in the search. Some contain only a passing reference to Amanda Knox (as a way to mock or insult regarding some other topic) but the large majority of these are threads which were split off of discussions about the Amanda Knox case.

Last edited by Nova Land; 25th September 2019 at 05:56 PM.
Old 26th September 2019, 12:30 AM   #16
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Nova Land View Post
Yes, if you select the search title only option, only 3 of the many AAH threads turn up. I don't know why the search does not work properly for search by title, but it doesn't.
<snip>

As I noted before, there are more than 200 AAH threads which will turn up in the search. Some contain only a passing reference to Amanda Knox (as a way to mock or insult regarding some other topic) but the large majority of these are threads which were split off of discussions about the Amanda Knox case.
That is real strange. I can do a search on the title in all forums and get all the parts, but not the splits in AAH. I can also find heaps of threads by searching for the name in the posts in AAH.
Old 20th November 2019, 07:28 AM   #17
Lothian
should be banned

If you have an urge to go back through all the Amanda Knox threads you will really need professional help from a psychiatrist as opposed to from amateurs on a web forum.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » International Skeptics