ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags fox news , Karen McDougal , lawsuits , media criticism , tucker carlson

Old 5th December 2019, 03:10 PM   #1
plague311
Great minds think...

Tucker Carlson acted with reckless disregard for the truth

You're shocked, I know. It was announced that Karen McDougal is suing Fox. I hope she wins and they're forced to ante up for some of their ******** reporting.

Quote:
In the lawsuit, which was filed in a New York state court, McDougal accused host Tucker Carlson of acting with a "reckless disregard for the truth" when he suggested on a December 2018 episode of his show that she extorted Trump.

In a statement provided by a Fox News spokesperson, the network said it would "vigorously defend Tucker Carlson against these meritless claims."
I tried to think of a thread that this should go in but it really didn't fall in anywhere. I seriously hate Tucker and I hope he gets what's coming to him. He's easily the biggest douche that's on national television, maybe second to Hannity.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 03:33 PM   #2
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

This is news???????

Carlson is a definent contender for the Baron Maunchausen award, though his great hero Trumpy is the heavy favorite...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 03:34 PM   #3
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

There's another way to parse this:
Quote:
"vigorously defend Tucker Carlson against these meritless claims."
"These": is that McDougal's or Carlson's?

"vigorously defend Tucker Carlson against these meritless claims [he made]"
Old 5th December 2019, 03:55 PM   #4
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently there is going to be a trial to determine whether the OP title is true or not. Some people have already made up their minds.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 04:59 PM   #5
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Apparently there is going to be a trial to determine whether the OP title is true or not. Some people have already made up their minds.
...because some people are already familiar with the BS Tucker likes to spew.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 06:17 PM   #6
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The defense will be: "Your honor, Mr. Carlson is always talking such utter nonsense that it should have been obvious that in this case, too, he was being mere satirical and not reporting any facts."
Old 5th December 2019, 06:20 PM   #7
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Yes,based on Carlson's past history.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 06:30 PM   #8
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Well when it comes to meritless claims, FOX News would be considered experts.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 08:35 PM   #9
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
You're shocked, I know. It was announced that Karen McDougal is suing Fox. I hope she wins and they're forced to ante up for some of their ******** reporting.

I tried to think of a thread that this should go in but it really didn't fall in anywhere. I seriously hate Tucker and I hope he gets what's coming to him. He's easily the biggest douche that's on national television, maybe second to Hannity.
Well, at least she's not suing a cow!

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The defense will be: "Your honor, Mr. Carlson is always talking such utter nonsense that it should have been obvious that in this case, too, he was being mere satirical and not reporting any facts."
The "I was taking bollocks" defence doesn't seem to have worked out well for Alex Jones!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 09:11 PM   #10
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Well when it comes to meritless claims, FOX News would be considered experts.

"The migrant caravan is bringing smallpox!"
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2019, 04:51 AM   #11
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
"The migrant caravan is bringing smallpox!"
I love when he said his love life was like a Neutron Bomb.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2019, 05:03 AM   #12
3point14
Pi

This is the bloke who hopes Russia wins, right?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2019, 05:16 AM   #13
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
This is the bloke who hopes Russia wins, right?
Yes.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2019, 11:23 AM   #14
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Ken White of Popehat was saying that this is honest-to-God a good defense for Trump, and it's worked. I can't remember where he said it would work, or maybe that it was that it's a defense he was going to use, but it boils down to the man being so full of **** nothing he says is taken seriously.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2019, 11:42 AM   #15
crescent
Illuminator

Ken White of Popehat was saying that this is honest-to-God a good defense for Trump, and it's worked. I can't remember where he said it would work, or maybe that it was that it's a defense he was going to use, but it boils down to the man being so full of **** nothing he says is taken seriously.
I think that same defense was also used by Beck and other right-wing hosts that were sued for defamation and slander. When they get sued, they fall back on the "its only entertainment!" defense.

Last edited by crescent; 6th December 2019 at 12:01 PM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2019, 11:49 AM   #16
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
I think that same defense was also used by Beck and other right-wing hosts that were sued for defamation and slander. When they get sued, the fall back on the "its only entertainment!" defense.
Sounds like something Jacob Wohl would say. I just can't believe it works, or that someone would use that defense.

"Your Honor, I can't be guilty. I'm a loose-lipped moron. How could I possibly mean the things I say?"

Perhaps I have just enough respect for myself to not let this happen.

Old 6th December 2019, 12:02 PM   #17
crescent
Illuminator

Sounds like something Jacob Wohl would say. I just can't believe it works, or that someone would use that defense.

"Your Honor, I can't be guilty. I'm a loose-lipped moron. How could I possibly mean the things I say?"

So much for your career in right-wing talk radio.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2019, 12:10 PM   #18
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
So much for your career in right-wing talk radio.
*snaps fingers* aw shucks!

Old 9th December 2019, 07:56 AM   #19
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Yes people know better than to take the president seriously when he says things is how he won the Stormy Daniels defamation suit. No one would ever take Trump seriously on such things so it fails to be defamation.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 04:10 PM   #20
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

IIRC trump has already used that defence.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 04:18 PM   #21
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
IIRC trump has already used that defence.
Not only that, *Tucker* has used that defense for Trump.

IIRC.

ETA: And it's actually a reasonable defense in a court of law. "Reasonable" meaning potentially effective, not morally correct.

Last edited by Minoosh; 9th December 2019 at 04:20 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2019, 07:38 AM   #22
Donal
Illuminator

Does No Mens Rea really hold up if it is literally your job to understand the harm you can potentially do? There is no way a multi billion dollar media outlet, no matter how stupid the on air talent happens to be, does not have a legal department that advises them about this sort of thing.
Old 10th December 2019, 07:41 AM   #23
Donal
Illuminator

Tucky used to say the same thing. Includes censored profanity.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by Donal; 10th December 2019 at 07:45 AM.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics