ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , 2020 elections , democratic party , presidential candidates

Old 2nd November 2019, 09:00 AM   #2201
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
What does Trump have against dogs?
What do progressives have against English?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 09:05 AM   #2202
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
C'mon Prestige. Trump uses that moronic description constantly. Out of curiosity, do you think it is right for the President to act like a dumb ass school yard bully? What purpose does his remark serve?
Old 2nd November 2019, 09:12 AM   #2203
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
C'mon Prestige. Trump uses that moronic description constantly.
It's a figure of speech. Seriously, what's your problem with the English language as it is commonly used?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:03 AM   #2204
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

It's a figure of speech. Seriously, what's your problem with the English language as it is commonly used?
My problem isn't with the English language. It's with a moronic bully. Do you think that kind of language is appropriate for a President? Do you think talking like a **** head is right for a President? How about for a human being?
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:15 AM   #2205
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

My problem isn't with the English language. It's with a moronic bully. Do you think that kind of language is appropriate for a President? Do you think talking like a **** head is right for a President? How about for a human being?
Let's back up a moment. Do you agree that "like a dog" as a pejorative does not actually signal a personal dislike of dogs?
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:27 AM   #2206
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Let's back up a moment. Do you agree that "like a dog" as a pejorative does not actually signal a personal dislike of dogs?
That wasn't the point and you should be able to figure that out. Seems like he constantly compares people he dislikes to a dog. So maybe he doesn't like dogs. Have you ever heard of him owning a dog?
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:29 AM   #2207
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I could explain it to you, but I would have to use an metaphor or analogy and that would set you off.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:45 AM   #2208
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

So resolved, the stupid bitch doesn't like dogs. We can hang that on him without regard to what he actually meant. It's not like it will destroy his presidency but when you're taking down Caesar every cut helps.
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:48 AM   #2209
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

If he talked like a **** head it would be an improvement.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 11:01 AM   #2210
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
What does Trump have against dogs?
It's a new shiny phrase (to him for the moment).

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 2nd November 2019 at 11:03 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 02:06 PM   #2211
Belz...
Fiend God

What does that have to do with the discussion, and why are you asking me, of all people?

If you're using the a word as a pejorative it sure seems to indicate that you think the thing it describes is negative.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Last edited by Belz...; 2nd November 2019 at 02:08 PM.
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 09:35 AM   #2212
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It's a new shiny phrase (to him for the moment).
I heard he invented it. Like "prime the pump".

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 03:22 PM   #2213
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps the best thing about election years is Bad Lip Reading.

So it begins.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 03:32 PM   #2214
Giz
Philosopher

That wasn't the point and you should be able to figure that out. Seems like he constantly compares people he dislikes to a dog. So maybe he doesn't like dogs. Have you ever heard of him owning a dog?
To be fair, a lot of his speeches sound better in the original Russian
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 04:51 PM   #2215
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
To be fair, a lot of his speeches sound better in the original Russian
If so, he needs a better translator.
Old 3rd November 2019, 06:56 PM   #2216
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Perhaps the best thing about election years is Bad Lip Reading.

So it begins.
This one is funnier.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 3rd November 2019, 09:12 PM   #2217
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Meanwhile, Kamala Harris has qualified for the stage in the December debate.

Sean Trende of RCP made an interesting point the other day. Kamala and Buttigieg are now jockeying for position as the moderate candidate in the event that Joe Biden completely falls apart. He is flirting with fourth place in Iowa and seems a likely third in New Hampshire. It's not impossible to imagine him imploding. And that's a lot of his voters up for grabs. Expect everyone who credibly can (including such seldom-mentioned but not terribly out of it candidates like Amy Klobuchar) to stick around.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 10:24 PM   #2218
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Buttigieg was badmouthing Warren's Medicare plan today. I was hoping not to see that. If you have a better plan, show it. You don't need to point out flaws in other candidate's campaigns.

Honestly, it's as ignorant as Donnie thinking he needed Zelenski to push a CT about Biden when all Donnie had to do was point out Hunter had a cush job in the Ukraine.
Old 4th November 2019, 04:09 AM   #2219
Arcade22
Philosopher

Quote:
A high-profile book tour. Countless TV interviews. Political combat with a Democratic primary candidate and Donald Trump. A year before the US presidential election, it looks like a campaign and it sounds like a campaign but it isn’t a campaign. At least, not as far anyone knows.

Yet a recent surge of activity by Hillary Clinton, combined with reports and columns suggesting the Democrats have not found the right candidate, have made a 2016 rematch a fun, speculative and potentially intriguing topic of Washington conversation.

The sense that something strange is going on began a few weeks ago. A book is a traditional vehicle for a candidate. The former secretary of state launched The Book of Gutsy Women, co-written with daughter Chelsea, and embarked on a tour that included events, speeches and late-night TV appearances.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...hite-house-run

Hillary Clinton can't just accept she lost to Trump, the worst major Presidential Candidate (and President) in living memory. Besides, if people complain about there not being a new JFK, why do they look towards Hillary? She's about as uncharismatic and unlovable as they come.
Old 4th November 2019, 04:30 AM   #2220
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

If Trump gets to rewrite history, why not HRC?
She has a lot more facts on her side of the story.
Old 4th November 2019, 05:47 AM   #2221
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
If you're rewriting history, why should facts matter at all?
Old 4th November 2019, 06:18 AM   #2222
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Let's not let the fact she lost get in the way of another run for president!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 06:41 AM   #2223
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
they matter if you are a lazy storyteller.
Old 4th November 2019, 05:26 PM   #2224
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

The New York Times has a poll out today with some rather shocking results.

In the six states that Trump won by the smallest margin in 2016 (Michigan, Pennsylvania, Florida, Wisconsin, Arizona and North Carolina), Trump is very close to Joe Biden; Biden leads in five of the states, but all are within 2 percentage points.

Against Bernie, Trump leads in four of the states, losing only in Michigan and tied in Wisconsin. Again, the margins are not large but they are larger than they were for Biden, with Trump winning by 4 in AZ and NC, and Bernie taking his lone state by 3.

Against Warren? Trump leads in five states, and one is tied. He has a four point lead on Warren in NC, FL, and MI. Oddly, AZ is the tied state.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 06:13 PM   #2225
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
The New York Times has a [url="https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/04/upshot/one-year-from-election-trump-trails-biden-but-leads-warren-in-battlegrounds.html"]
Against Warren? Trump leads in five states, and one is tied. He has a four point lead on Warren in NC, FL, and MI. Oddly, AZ is the tied state.
It's Mark Kelly.

He's the only one standing in the way of Trump!

A true patriot and hero in the fight against global warming.

Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 06:16 PM   #2226
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

C'mon Prestige. Trump uses that moronic description constantly.
Constantly? I don't think I've heard it mentioned at all, prior to the last week or so. Do you think maybe he's just riffing on a recent theme?
Old 4th November 2019, 06:35 PM   #2227
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Constantly? I don't think I've heard it mentioned at all, prior to the last week or so. Do you think maybe he's just riffing on a recent theme?
You haven't been listening apparently.

Trump has referred to countless people as dogs including White House aide and Apprentice contestant Omarosa, TV host David Gregory, Trump critic Erick Erickson, Trump supporter and confidant Steve Bannon, Ted Cruz's director, Glenn Beck, Chuck Todd, George Will, Bill Maher, Reverend Jeremiah Wright, Mitt Romney, Kristen Stewart, Laura Goldman, David Axelrod, Brent Bozell, Mac Miller. And that is the tip of the iceberg.
Old 4th November 2019, 06:49 PM   #2228
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...hite-house-run

Hillary Clinton can't just accept she lost to Trump, the worst major Presidential Candidate (and President) in living memory. Besides, if people complain about there not being a new JFK, why do they look towards Hillary? She's about as uncharismatic and unlovable as they come.
I lose track. Is this your opinion or are you paraphrasing someone else's?

Hillary is not suggesting she'd run again and that (your) description has been refuted ad nauseum. Talk about not being able to accept the facts.
Old 4th November 2019, 08:29 PM   #2229
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Let's not let the fact she lost get in the way of another run for president!
She lost against someone who's campaign was a scandal factory, producing something unacceptable every day (he has yet to stop). Someone who was busy scoring own-goal after own-goal. Someone who was just begging for her (or anyone, honestly) to tell him to shut the **** up and stop lying.

She couldn't put him in his place, even when they shared a stage where he misbehaved. She could have told him to sit down and stop standing over her shoulder like a creep. Ultimately she lacked the ability to assert herself in the face of someone who broke all conventions and notions of decency.

If Trump is breaking the rules and getting away with it, because the journalists and debate moderators want appear "impartial", then his opponent has to do it and do it hard.
Old 4th November 2019, 09:14 PM   #2230
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

She lost against someone who's campaign was a scandal factory, producing something unacceptable every day (he has yet to stop). Someone who was busy scoring own-goal after own-goal. Someone who was just begging for her (or anyone, honestly) to tell him to shut the **** up and stop lying.

She couldn't put him in his place, even when they shared a stage where he misbehaved. She could have told him to sit down and stop standing over her shoulder like a creep. Ultimately she lacked the ability to assert herself in the face of someone who broke all conventions and notions of decency.

If Trump is breaking the rules and getting away with it, because the journalists and debate moderators want appear "impartial", then his opponent has to do it and do it hard.
If you look at the polling today almost every single Democrat could lose the exact same states and also win the popular vote.

My issue is your argument makes a lot of assumptions that other Democrats wouldn't have had similar problems beating Trump.
Old 4th November 2019, 09:25 PM   #2231
Mumbles
Philosopher

The obvious problem here is that this is exactly what she did, many times, both in campaign speeches, and in debates. And sometimes, reporters brought this up as well. Which is why Dolt 45 voters either were not paying attention to this, convinced that "both sides are the same" (aka: "But her emails!" - or the related "He's not a liar like the politicians!"), or really liked his open bigotry.

And her attempts are likely why, according to polls, Hillary won every debate easily, and had a post-convention bounce that Dolt 45 did not get.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 10:35 PM   #2232
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

He quit like a dog? That is certainly not a common saying, and actually, dogs are known for their doggedness. "Died like a dog" is kind of weird too. How do dogs die? I suppose he could have meant cringing back. Probably not put to sleep with a shot of sodium pentothal.

I think he used it against Rosie McDonnell and once he said someone was sweating "like a dog." Dogs of course don't sweat. Every time he uses the word dog, it's a perjorative. But not only that. To the extent that these phrases are common sayings, they are clichés that have been stale for decades. IMO, that suggests lazy thinking.

you might enjoy a George Orwell essay called "Politics and the English Language." I haven't learned how to link on this tablet, but it can be found by Googling the title.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 10:48 PM   #2233
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
It's Mark Kelly.

He's the only one standing in the way of Trump!

A true patriot and hero in the fight against global warming.

I'm trying but I can't think of any way Mark Kelly is relevant.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 02:18 AM   #2234
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I'm trying but I can't think of any way Mark Kelly is relevant.
This. Kelly has an awesome resume. But his candidacy is really single-issue (gun control), and he's up against another awesome resume in McSalley. I don't see how he overcomes the gun control label in AZ.
Old 5th November 2019, 02:21 AM   #2235
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Nobody wants to talk about the NY Times poll that shows Trump's path to victory even in today's hostile environment?

(beat)

Ok, I get it.

Last edited by Brainster; 5th November 2019 at 02:24 AM.
Old 5th November 2019, 03:31 AM   #2236
Belz...
Fiend God

She lost against someone who's campaign was a scandal factory, producing something unacceptable every day (he has yet to stop). Someone who was busy scoring own-goal after own-goal.
I don't know. I think his base actually enjoyed that and was energised by it. Doesn't sound like an own goal to me.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 04:18 AM   #2237
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
He quit like a dog? That is certainly not a common saying, and actually, dogs are known for their doggedness. "Died like a dog" is kind of weird too. How do dogs die? I suppose he could have meant cringing back. Probably not put to sleep with a shot of sodium pentothal.
If anything, "work like a dog" is an expression for working tirelessly for little reward.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 05:58 AM   #2238
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

A billionaire cries over Liz Warren.
"We are enjoined, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, to consider ourselves and our cultural institutions scientifically — not to accept uncritically whatever we’re told; to surmount as best we can our hopes, conceits, and unexamined beliefs; to view ourselves as we really are." - Carl Sagan
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 06:04 AM   #2239
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Can we bottle his tears? I think they'd taste delicious!
Old 5th November 2019, 08:02 AM   #2240
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You haven't been listening apparently.

Trump has referred to countless people as dogs including White House aide and Apprentice contestant Omarosa, TV host David Gregory, Trump critic Erick Erickson, Trump supporter and confidant Steve Bannon, Ted Cruz's director, Glenn Beck, Chuck Todd, George Will, Bill Maher, Reverend Jeremiah Wright, Mitt Romney, Kristen Stewart, Laura Goldman, David Axelrod, Brent Bozell, Mac Miller. And that is the tip of the iceberg.
Oh, okay. Thanks for keeping track of this.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics