ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Congressional hearings , donald trump , impeachment , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 1st October 2019, 02:03 PM   #521
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
How does he suck so much at speaking?
Spirochetes.
Left-over brain syphilis from his own personal Viet Nam.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 02:05 PM   #522
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Speaking engagements. Book deals.

There's also reputation, legacy, and professional networks to think about, at this stage in her career. All of these interests can and should still be advanced, to whatever degree they are interests for her.
You really are pushing the button hard. Pelosi is already wealthy. Maybe, just maybe she doesnt have that you can never have enough money mindset that seems to pervade the Republican party.
Old 1st October 2019, 02:22 PM   #523
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
You really are pushing the button hard. Pelosi is already wealthy. Maybe, just maybe she doesnt have that you can never have enough money mindset that seems to pervade the Republican party.
I assume she's further up Maslow's hierarchy of needs than mere concern for funds. You may have noticed my mention of higher-level rewards like reputation and legacy.

That said, it seems to me that for a lot of the really wealthy, money becomes a way of keeping score for their achievements. So at the lower levels of Maslow's pyramid, money is about meeting those low-level needs of food, shelter, etc. But at the higher levels, money is still relevant as a measure of personal success and satisfaction.

I don't know what exactly is Pelosi's relationship with her money, but unlike you I'm not prepared to rule it out as a motivator. In any case, I think it's clear that Pelosi still has a career, and still has a future that will be affected by how she handles the impeachment process, and I still think it's highly likely that she's charting a course with her future firmly in mind.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 02:26 PM   #524
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You really are pushing the button hard.
Let me say this about that: After my initial post on the subject, the only times I've returned to it have been when other people have brought it up. If you think the button doesn't need any more pushing, I think you know what you need to do.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 02:39 PM   #525
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I assume she's further up Maslow's hierarchy of needs than mere concern for funds. You may have noticed my mention of higher-level rewards like reputation and legacy.

That said, it seems to me that for a lot of the really wealthy, money becomes a way of keeping score for their achievements. So at the lower levels of Maslow's pyramid, money is about meeting those low-level needs of food, shelter, etc. But at the higher levels, money is still relevant as a measure of personal success and satisfaction.

I don't know what exactly is Pelosi's relationship with her money, but unlike you I'm not prepared to rule it out as a motivator. In any case, I think it's clear that Pelosi still has a career, and still has a future that will be affected by how she handles the impeachment process, and I still think it's highly likely that she's charting a course with her future firmly in mind.
I do think her reputation is important to her. Character, integrity and public service do count to some people.
Old 1st October 2019, 02:45 PM   #526
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I do think her reputation is important to her. Character, integrity and public service do count to some people.
I think that once we get past the quibbling about what "career advancement" really means, we actually agree more than one might expect.
Old 1st October 2019, 02:59 PM   #527
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
How does he suck so much at speaking?

That's the amazing thing. For his rusted on supporters, he is the epitome of eloquence and straight talking.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 03:14 PM   #528
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I think that once we get past the quibbling about what "career advancement" really means, we actually agree more than one might expect.
Calling it "career advancement" I believe does not fairly characterize her actions. Does she have motivation to do her job as best she can? I would think so. Your choice of words suggest that she puts her own wants above what she believes the right thing to do.
Old 1st October 2019, 03:14 PM   #529
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
That's the amazing thing. For his rusted on supporters, he is the epitome of eloquence and straight talking.
Straight talking? Maybe. The conventional wisdom seems to be that there's a demographic of Trump voters who appreciate his idiom. But I think that the lack of eloquence is part of the appeal, there. Most people aren't polished public speakers. Most people tend to fumble a bit, or rework what they're saying as they go, or flail about from time to time looking for the right words.

Talking like a regular guy, instead of a practiced politician or academic, may in fact be one of his major sources of electoral appeal.
Old 1st October 2019, 03:17 PM   #530
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Not everyone is good at public speaking. It's a skill.

Also having a stupid brain infected with insanity and racked with nutritional deficit while shrinking in old age and increasing senility can't exactly help.
You should be ashamed of yourself. Not mentioning the deleterious effects of consorting with elder gods...
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 03:18 PM   #531
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Straight talking? Maybe. The conventional wisdom seems to be that there's a demographic of Trump voters who appreciate his idiom. But I think that the lack of eloquence is part of the appeal, there. Most people aren't polished public speakers. Most people tend to fumble a bit, or rework what they're saying as they go, or flail about from time to time looking for the right words.

Talking like a regular guy, instead of a practiced politician or academic, may in fact be one of his major sources of electoral appeal.
That's probably true. Many people are poorly educated and are intimidated by people that are. They're more comfortable with a moron leading the country.
Old 1st October 2019, 03:21 PM   #532
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Calling it "career advancement" I believe does not fairly characterize her actions. Does she have motivation to do her job as best she can? I would think so. Your choice of words suggest that she puts her own wants above what she believes the right thing to do.
Given everything we know about career politicians, and career humans in general, I think that's a reasonable suggestion. I understand that if you believe the Democrat establishment is all public service, doing the right thing without regard for personal benefit, this suggestion might rankle. For my part, I'm content to stop pushing the button whenever you are. Maybe we should just tag this one "unproven" and move on?
Old 1st October 2019, 03:24 PM   #533
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

That's probably true. Many people are poorly educated and are intimidated by people that are. They're more comfortable with a moron leading the country.
That's a pretty hateful thing to say about millions of real people, with real lives and concerns. I think you should reconsider selling your fellow citizens so short.
Old 1st October 2019, 03:29 PM   #534
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

That's a pretty hateful thing to say about millions of real people, with real lives and concerns. I think you should reconsider selling your fellow citizens so short.
I'm not saying anything you basically didn't say in your post. You suggested that a moron who can barely put two sentences together appeals to the masses. Didn't you? Or did I misunderstand your post?
Old 1st October 2019, 04:21 PM   #535
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not saying anything you basically didn't say in your post. You suggested that a moron who can barely put two sentences together appeals to the masses. Didn't you? Or did I misunderstand your post?
Hard pass. We were having a conversation there, for a moment. Now it's turned into yet another episode of Two Minutes Hate. Being your foil for this kind of thing doesn't work for me at all. If that's how you want to see me, I'm out.
Old 1st October 2019, 04:36 PM   #536
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Hard pass. We were having a conversation there, for a moment. Now it's turned into yet another episode of Two Minutes Hate. Being your foil for this kind of thing doesn't work for me at all. If that's how you want to see me, I'm out.
You just said that I made a hateful comment about the masses.

You said that they appreciated Trump's nonsensical way of speaking. That this was his appeal. I think you were absolutely right. A lot of people are intimidated by smart people. There's a reason no one likes the smartest person in the room and are more comfortable around the class clown making fart noises.

And if you don't think Trump is a moron, I challenge you to read his speeches. It's a morass of bad grammar and ridiculous statements. It's downright embarrassing.

Every single one of your posts whether I agree or disagree with them demonstrates far more intellectual power than 65 percent of Trump's tweets. I have to assume that someone else writes the ones that make sense.
Old 1st October 2019, 04:49 PM   #537
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Oh, you mean the people that like to parade in shirts that say "******* Your Feelings", "Trump that Bitch" and "Better Russian than Democrat". Those people? Yeah, I think we've given them every opportunity they've ever deserved to be taken seriously. Enough. Holla at me when they decide to give the rest of us some respect for a change.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 05:17 PM   #538
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

I wonder if we could get back to topic: House Impeachment Inquiry.
Old 1st October 2019, 05:57 PM   #539
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

There's nothing wrong with hating people who deserve hatred. It's good for the country, Trump supporters being a lesser, hated other.
Old 1st October 2019, 06:14 PM   #540
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
There's nothing wrong with hating people who deserve hatred. It's good for the country, Trump supporters being a lesser, hated other.
I don't hate them. Not even close. I'm disappointed that they take the lazy way. Critical thinking means you challenge everything including your self. They just refuse to do it because they are afraid of change.

Its like this Waco Kid quote.

What did you expect? "Welcome, sonny"? "Make yourself at home"? "Marry my daughter"? You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West.

You know......... morons.
Old 1st October 2019, 07:39 PM   #541
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Care to show which part is hateful and why?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 07:44 PM   #542
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Some people prefer not to have to think too hard.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 08:50 PM   #543
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Here are just some of Trump's staff, appointees and associates who have said or suggested Trump is stupd.

Sam Nunberg describes his ignorance. Nunberg, was sent to “explain the Constitution” to Trump when he was a candidate. “I got as far as the Fourth Amendment,” Nunberg recalled, “before his finger is pulling down on his lip and his eyes are rolling back in his head.”

Steve Bannon " like an 11 year old child"
White House deputy chief of staff Katie Walsh "Working with Trump is “like trying to figure out what a child wants”—

Rupert Murdoch "a ******* idiot"
Roger Ailes. 'a moron"
Rex Tillerson Secretary of State "a ******* moron"
Gary Cohen Economic advisor "dumb as ****"
H R McMaster National security advisor "a dope"
John Kelly Chief of staff "an idiot"
Steve Mnuchin Secretary of Treasury "an idiot"
Reince Preibus Chief of staff "an idiot"
Sam Nunberg "he's an idiot"

There are lots more. But as I said before. Read his speeches. They really are stupid. And yet people voted for this moron.

You should also note that Trump has threatened legal action against every school he's attended. If Trump is really "a stable genius" why is he frightened of evidence?

Last edited by acbytesla; 1st October 2019 at 09:08 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 08:59 PM   #544
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Sen. Lindsey Graham: Donald Trump is a jackass
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 09:08 PM   #545
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Michele Bachmann: In My Lifetime, I Have Never Seen A More Biblical President
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 09:14 PM   #546
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
...he does remind me of the Pit Locusts ..
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 09:18 PM   #547
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
“I want you all to stonewall it, let them plead the Fifth Amendment, cover up, or anything else.”

--Richard M. Nixon
Courtesy link for you.

NYT: Jury Hears Tape of Nixon Urging Aides to ‘Stonewall’
Quote:
WASHINGTON, Oct. 21 —Over the heated objections of defense counsel, the jury in the Watergate case heard today the tape recording in which Richard M. Nixon said he wanted his aides to “stonewall it ... plead the Fifth Amendment, cover up or anything else, if it'll save it—save the plan.”...

“I want you all to stonewall it, let them plead the Fifth Amendment, cover up or anything else, if it'll save it—save the plan,” Mr. Nixon said, according to the transcript of the conversation prepared by the prosecution. “That's the whole point.”

Mr. Nixon immediately adds that he would, however, “prefer” that “you do it the other way,” revealing the truth.

“And I would particularly prefer to do it that other way if it's going to come out that way anyway,” he said.

Mr. Nixon makes a few more remarks about the likelihood of the story coming out. Mr. Mitchell says, “Well—”

“I don't know,” Mr. Nixon interjects, “but that's, uh, you know, up to this point the whole theory has been containment, as you know, John.”
Old 1st October 2019, 09:20 PM   #548
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
And now Trump has apparently asked Australia for oranges.
Originally Posted by fishbob View Post
Spirochetes.
Left-over brain syphilis from his own personal Viet Nam.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 1st October 2019 at 09:22 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 09:28 PM   #549
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
I wonder if we could get back to topic: House Impeachment Inquiry.
I'm with you. Fortunately after skimming and skimming this thread, a bunch of stuff in the impeachment investigation is coming up this week and next.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 1st October 2019 at 09:33 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 09:29 PM   #550
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

That woman is sicker than Pence.... maybe.
Old 1st October 2019, 11:55 PM   #551
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
She's right. Sure, killing all brown first-borns would be frowned upon in our godless era, but locking them in cages is the next best thing.
Old 2nd October 2019, 02:36 AM   #552
Belz...
Fiend God

Quibbling? You used the word wrong. It doesn't mean that at all. That's not quibbling, because it scrambles your entire point.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 02:38 AM   #553
Belz...
Fiend God

In the sense that, like God, he's deceptive, vain, vindictive and quick to anger.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 03:36 AM   #554
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Millions of people voted for Trump, and it was a moronic decision to vote that way. Those that still support him are morons.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 03:52 AM   #555
Tero
Graduate Poster

Likely it's a very real assessment. In addition, Republicans will vote for their candidate no matter what. If a candidate is running say at 30%, vs the democrat at over 50%, a red state will vote for the lousy candidate. Merely to show they do not want anything the democrat has to offer. "We don't need that socialist healthcare."
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 04:04 AM   #556
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
In the sense that, like God, he's deceptive, vain, vindictive and quick to anger.
You left out jealous. Definitely jealous.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 05:53 AM   #557
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
You left out jealous. Definitely jealous.

And by most accounts relatively bloodthirsty.

A fitting deity for nomadic goatherds with a penchant for tribal warfare.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 06:57 AM   #558
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Quibbling? You used the word wrong. It doesn't mean that at all. That's not quibbling, because it scrambles your entire point.
Why are you still stuck on that? I explained my point to you. Acbytesla tesla grasped it right away, in spite of my terminology. He and I even had a conversation about it. But you're still stuck back there. Is my point still scrambled, for you?
Old 2nd October 2019, 07:14 AM   #559
Belz...
Fiend God

Why are you still stuck on that? I explained my point to you.
And I addressed your explanation as nonsense. That's why I'm still stuck on that. You can resolve this issue my admitting that you misspoke.

Old 2nd October 2019, 02:08 PM   #560
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

And I addressed your explanation as nonsense. That's why I'm still stuck on that. You can resolve this issue my admitting that you misspoke.
I didn't misspeak, though. I said exactly what I wanted to say, in exactly the way I wanted to say it.

I'd say that you misunderstand, but even that's no longer true.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics