ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Congressional hearings , donald trump , impeachment , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 2nd November 2019, 08:44 PM   #1201
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Defending Trump is no easy task. Even pretzels have a breaking point.

Growing number of GOP senators consider acknowledging Trump’s quid pro quo on Ukraine

As if The Godfather is actually about a good deed doer who is generous with his compliments and concerns.
And strokes, not grabs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A0F1FD27-3C42-4FD7-8DE6-219DB902F108.jpeg (56.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 2nd November 2019, 09:29 PM   #1202
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Defending Trump is no easy task. Even pretzels have a breaking point.

Growing number of GOP senators consider acknowledging Trump’s quid pro quo on Ukraine

As if The Godfather is actually about a good deed doer who is generous with his compliments and concerns.
These people are insane. All of them. I would find it hilarious how thoroughly they're destroying their party except that they're trying to take down the rule of law as well.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 09:43 PM   #1203
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

This would be great: half the GOP goes off with one excuse and the other half choses a different, contradictory excuse.
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:22 PM   #1204
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
This would be great: half the GOP goes off with one excuse and the other half choses a different, contradictory excuse.

That isn't all that unusual for them. Nor will it be if when they switch back and forth.

And certainly not very surprising. Their supporters can believe a nearly infinite number of impossible things before breakfast. They expect this. They depend on it.

And they're right. Those supporters do not disappoint them.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 2nd November 2019 at 10:24 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 06:14 AM   #1205
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

There is a message they've all embraced at one time or another -- one which appeals to their simple-minded base of drooling inbreds: no you're the puppet. Put that on a t-shirt along with MAGA and you'll make a fortune.
Old 4th November 2019, 07:53 AM   #1206
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

what I find amazing is the degree to which Trump and the Republicans are crying "foul play" over a process that is clearly not.
If they are worried that a rather transparent, judicial process will cause them trouble, what do they think will happen if Democrats ever decide to play truly dirty?
Old 4th November 2019, 12:17 PM   #1207
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump spelunker Rep Jim Jordan is now claiming that the whistleblower's offer to provide written answers, under oath, to the GOPers is not acceptable.
Quote:
Written answers will not provide a sufficient opportunity to probe all the relevant facts and cross examine the so-called Whistleblower.
Hmmmm...this coming after Trump refused to be interviewed by Mueller in person and only supplied written answers. I guess it's OK for Trump, but not for the whistleblower?

ETA: Unsurprisingly, Trump is also claiming written answers are not good enough. Such blatant hypocrisy should be shocking, but with Trump, it's par for the course.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 4th November 2019 at 12:30 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 12:25 PM   #1208
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Trump spelunker Rep Jim Jordan is now claiming that the whistleblower's offer to provide written answers, under oath, to the GOPers is not acceptable.

Hmmmm...this coming after Trump refused to be interviewed by Mueller in person and only supplied written answers. I guess it's OK for Trump, but not for the whistleblower?
Dear Leader causes the Sun to shine.

They are cultists
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 12:31 PM   #1209
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Dear Leader causes the Sun to shine.

They are cultists
His cultists can't see the sun from their location up his ***.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 05:09 PM   #1210
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

What's interesting here is a whole lot more career employees work in the State Department than I ever imagined. And they are singing because they aren't appointed Trump cultists. The latest ones contradicted Pompeo and Solomon in their testimony according to the transcripts.
Old 4th November 2019, 08:23 PM   #1211
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Remember when Republicans were whining that the process wasn't fair because it wasn't voted on? That was only a few days ago.......
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 10:29 AM   #1212
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Idiots at the latest Trump rally are wearing sweatshirts that say, "read the transcript". They were probably given out to the people behind Trump. It's obvious, they are zombies that will repeat anything.

In other news, Ron Paul announces he knows the whistleblower's name and says the media has an obligation to print it.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 5th November 2019 at 10:35 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 10:32 AM   #1213
Belz...
Fiend God

Idiots at the latest Trump rally are wearing sweatshirts that say, "read the transcript". They were probably given out to the people behind Trump. It's obvious, they are zombies that will repeat anything.
I'd bet that most of them haven't read it, so trusting they are of what the Annoying Annointed One has told them.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 11:08 AM   #1214
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Here's the original:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Read-the-Transcript-LIMITED-Edition-Trump-Tee.jpg (62.9 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by alfaniner; 5th November 2019 at 11:11 AM.
alfaniner is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 11:22 AM   #1215
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I doubt many Trump supporters can read Sanskrit - it's a bit cruel to ask them to learn how to.
Old 5th November 2019, 12:05 PM   #1216
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

According to the transcripts released today, Sondland changed his testimony yesterday to say there was quid-pro-quo.

Quote:
In the revision, Sdland said he recalled a Sept. 1 meeting with Andriy Yermak, a top aide to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, in which the aid was contingent on a public statement from Zelensky regarding launching probes that would benefit Trump politically.

“After a large meeting, I now recall speaking individually with Mr. Yermak, where I said that resumption of U.S. aid would likely not occur until Ukraine provided the public anti-corruption statement that we had been discussing for many weeks,” Sondland said.
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...clear-quid-pro
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 12:59 PM   #1217
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
If they are worried that a rather transparent, judicial process will cause them trouble, what do they think will happen if Democrats ever decide to play truly dirty?
I kind of hope the Dems are *already* playing dirty on the down-low. As long as they're not breaking the law. Since bribing and extorting GOP senators is A-OK, perhaps the Democrats can outbid the White House. After all, Trump has a history of reneging on deals, and there's a good chance those senators won't get paid. There's no law that I know of that says you can't just give a million dollars to someone. Forget about donating to the campaign, just give it straight to the person. Perfectly legal AFAIK. A small good-faith gesture signaling that the time for bipartisanship is now.

In other news, Ron Paul announces he knows the whistleblower's name and says the media has an obligation to print it.
Times like these, I'd love to see billboards cycling through daily messages. For example, WHAT TRANSCRIPT? Change up daily like a marquee or a scoreboard. Billboards are kind of hard to not see, unlike social media where the user sets up the parameters. For the most part, the message doesn't have to be especially anti-Trump. Just a reminder that the White House has never released an actual transcript.

Re: Ron Paul. Did anyone ask him why the media has an obligation to print the whistleblower's name? Libertarians are endorsing forced speech? Why doesn't he just tweet it out himself?

Last edited by Minoosh; 5th November 2019 at 01:01 PM. Reason: typos
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 01:02 PM   #1218
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
According to the transcripts released today, Sondland changed his testimony yesterday to say there was quid-pro-quo.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...clear-quid-pro
Yeah, funny dat.
Old 5th November 2019, 01:05 PM   #1219
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Dup.

ETA: So which time was Sondland lying?

Last edited by Minoosh; 5th November 2019 at 01:14 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 01:34 PM   #1220
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Dup.

ETA: So which time was Sondland lying?
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he was lying before the testimonies contradicting him came out. Crazy, I know, but I live on the edge.
Old 5th November 2019, 01:47 PM   #1221
plague311
Great minds think...

What kind of messed up ******** is that? You can just go back and say, "Sorry, I was jk lol. There actually was a quid pro quo" without any circumstances. I hope this ******* stubs his toe every day for a week.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 01:47 PM   #1222
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Here's the original:
Is that a joke? A Poe?
Old 5th November 2019, 02:02 PM   #1223
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
What kind of messed up ******** is that? You can just go back and say, "Sorry, I was jk lol. There actually was a quid pro quo" without any circumstances. I hope this ******* stubs his toe every day for a week.
It's been so long and the amount of executive wrongdoing so staggering that I can't remember the details, but Trump appointees were pulling this **** in literally the first month of his presidency.

In any other administration this would probably be the last straw resulting in resignation.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 02:19 PM   #1224
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
Well...

No ****.

Is that a joke? A Poe?
Just a quickly Photoshopped picture. (and yes, a joke.)
Old 5th November 2019, 02:26 PM   #1225
AnonyMoose
Muse

Looks like Sondland isn't willing to fall on his sword for His Royal High-ness-ness afterall.

Such disloyalties ought to be punished....

.... time for a new name!

Sweaty Sondland?
Slippery Sondland?
Abscondland?
Grasping Gordon?
Old 5th November 2019, 02:49 PM   #1226
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
He had time to think about it and apparently was granted an opportunity to come clean. I suppose that under those circumstances the investigating body would be somewhat magnanimous. You’d rather have the truth come out. Better late than never. I imagine his lawyer got something in writing from the House committee saying he would face no penalty for revising his testimony.

Stubbing a toe can be very painful!

ETA: Why did Sondland testify at all? Many of his colleagues are just blowing off subpoenas. Who is this guy? Someone who wants there to be life after Trump?

Last edited by Minoosh; 5th November 2019 at 03:02 PM.
Old 5th November 2019, 02:56 PM   #1227
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Just a quickly Photoshopped picture. (and yes, a joke.)
Alas, too good to be true. Although in Trumpland there are probably more-egregious goofs IRL.

Last edited by Minoosh; 5th November 2019 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Garble
Old 5th November 2019, 03:10 PM   #1228
BrooklynBaby
Muse

Another stupid hoax by the Democrats and corrupt fake news. This time it is going to cost them the House and Trump will be easily reelected.
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 03:15 PM   #1229
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
He had time to think about it and apparently was granted an opportunity to come clean. ...
Or Vinland incriminated him.
Old 5th November 2019, 03:19 PM   #1230
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Another stupid hoax by the Democrats and corrupt fake news. This time it is going to cost them the House and Trump will be easily reelected.
Do you believe that it is acceptable for any future President to attempt to use money assigned to a help a foreign Government by Congress, as a method of extracting a favour, that personally benefits that President, from that Government?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 03:23 PM   #1231
BrooklynBaby
Muse

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Do you believe that it is acceptable for any future President to attempt to use money assigned to a help a foreign Government by Congress, as a method of extracting a favour, that personally benefits that President, from that Government?
You're thinking about what Veep Joe Biden actually did and confessed to doing, yet he's a Democrat candidate for POTUS. Trump did no such thing and all one has to do is read the transcript of the call and Zelensky's confirmation that he felt no pressure. No amount of lies will change these indisputable facts.
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 03:40 PM   #1232
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

You're thinking about what Veep Joe Biden actually did and confessed to doing, yet he's a Democrat candidate for POTUS. Trump did no such thing and all one has to do is read the transcript of the call and Zelensky's confirmation that he felt no pressure. No amount of lies will change these indisputable facts.
Where are you getting this from?

Did you read the transcript? Where Trump says he needs a favor?

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-conten...ied09.2019.pdf
Quote:
I would like you to do us a favor though because our country has been through a lot and Ukraine knows a lot about it. I would like you to find out what happened with this whole situation with Ukraine, they say Crowdstrike ...

... The other thing, There's a lot of. talk about Biden's son,. that Eiden stopped the prosecution and a lot of people want to find out about that so whatever you can do with the Attorney General would be great. Biden went around bragging that he stopped the prosecution so if you ·can look into it ... It sounds horrible to me.
For the record, Joe Biden bragged that he got a corrupt prosecutor removed who was stalling a UK investigation. Hunter Biden wasn't then and never was under any investigation.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 5th November 2019 at 03:42 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 03:41 PM   #1233
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

<<Chef kiss>> It is pure distilled Trump grade BS. There is no finer BS in the world, and it is completely immune to facts and reason. That every part is wrong is part of what makes it so pure.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 03:42 PM   #1234
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

When hostages read prepared statements while their captors hold guns to their heads, do you also take that at face value?
Old 5th November 2019, 03:51 PM   #1235
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

When hostages read prepared statements while their captors hold guns to their heads, do you also take that at face value?
Or when a head of state declines to admit that they felt intimidated by another head of state? There is literally no upside for President Zelensky to make any statement that might project weakness or cause him to be even more involved in the process by which Trump might be removed.
Old 5th November 2019, 03:55 PM   #1236
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Wow! What an absolutely big toilet bowl full of Trump turds.

1. Biden didn't confess to anything.
2. Trump OTOH withheld US military aid in an attempt to get Zelensky to tell the world that they were investigating Biden.
3. It doesn't help Ukraine to get involved in US politics given that it needs US aid in its fight against Russia. So it's probably smart to take whatever the Ukrainian President says with a grain of salt.

Read the transcript...which isn't a transcript though. It sounds like a shakedown. Here we've been good to Ukraine. We need you to do a favor though.

Maybe you believe it's right for the President to use military aid in an attempt to get a foreign government to smear a political opponent. I DON'T.
Old 5th November 2019, 03:58 PM   #1237
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

If this was being prosecuted in a actual trial, with a unbiased journey, I think the DA would be looking at a slam dunk about now.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 03:59 PM   #1238
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Wow! What an absolutely big toilet bowl full of Trump turds.

1. Biden didn't confess to anything.
2. Trump OTOH withheld US military aid in an attempt to get Zelensky to tell the world that they were investigating Biden.
3. It doesn't help Ukraine to get involved in US politics given that it needs US aid in its fight against Russia. So it's probably smart to take whatever the Ukrainian President says with a grain of salt.

Read the transcript...which isn't a transcript though. It sounds like a shakedown. Here we've been good to Ukraine. We need you to do a favor though.

Maybe you believe it's right for the President to use military aid in an attempt to get a foreign government to smear a political opponent. I DON'T.
What is amazing is they don't see that even if the accusation aginst Biden have some validiaity, it does not get Trump off the hook.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 04:03 PM   #1239
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
If this was being prosecuted in a actual trial, with a unbiased journey, I think the DA would be looking at a slam dunk about now.
If only we could hang onto that feeling.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 04:16 PM   #1240
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
What is amazing is they don't see that even if the accusation aginst Biden have some validiaity, it does not get Trump off the hook.
Exactly! I could care less about Biden. He's not my pick anyway. But what Biden did had absolutely nothing to do with his son. In fact, if anything, it would have had a negative effect on Hunter Biden.

It's such a joke that Trump keeps telling us to "read the transcript". It was the damn transcript that launched the impeachment inquiry. It was the one thing that convinced me that there was no choice but to impeach Trump.

Now, there are a hundred other things Trump has done that he should be impeached over most importantly Obstruction of Justice. In my mind, this is worse than his military extortion scheme.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics