ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 1st November 2019, 07:43 PM   #3561
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Not really, because he doesn't have to give them anything. He's just going to give them the money if they promise to predetermine their vote.

It's a bribe
It appears it is literally felony bribery. Or so says a GOP ethics lawyer.

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
It will be difficult for his biggest supporters, like Nunes and McCarthy, to say that with a straight face. Maybe Graham can get away with that, but just barely.
I know you are aware of this on an intellectual level, but you have to incorporate it into your mental model of reality that they don't have the same values that you do, nor the values they claim to have.

It wouldn't be difficult for them in the least. Their base likewise would accept it completely.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 07:44 PM   #3562
Cain
Straussian

The latest argument from Trump apologists:

The tireless, Deep State reacted so swiftly to the President's "unfortunate mistake" (i.e., corrupt quid pro quo) that the crime was merely attempted and not completed; therefore, it does not "rise to the level of an impeachable offense."

The president used taxpayer money and the authority of his office to enlist a foreign power to subvert a national election for his own benefit. If that's not impeachable, then what is? If Donald "I love Wikileaks" Trump's campaign had hacked Biden's e-mails, then would THAT be considered impeachable? (First they'd deny they did it (maybe it was Ukraine!), then they'd say Trump didn't know, then they'd say politics is "dirty" and "everyone does it.")
Old 1st November 2019, 07:52 PM   #3563
SezMe
post-pre-born

The only thing that worries me is this: if we didn't know anything about the new head, Trump's response would be to publicly claim we know all about him. The main consolation is that if we knew stuff, Trump's response would also be to publicly claim we know all about him.
The big worry is that Dump would blab some information about him that would reveal important information about our intelligence operation.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 08:01 PM   #3564
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

And Trump has all that campaign money to spend because he continues to stiff contractors including cities that provided security for his rallies.

Trump threatens to sue Minneapolis for demanding he pay for rally security in advance
Quote:
Trump's campaign has stiffed at least 10 cities, going back to the 2016 campaign. Minneapolis won't stand for that
Old 1st November 2019, 08:02 PM   #3565
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Perhaps ironically, could he not remain in office even if there is evidence of fraud in his favor?

If there is evidence of election fraud of any kind, would it not be easily argued that the sitting president should remain until the fraud is completely uncovered and new elections can be held without the possibility of the fraud recurring?
That argument could give the Republicans cover to get behind a refusal to step down by Trump.
There's no provision in the Constitution for a redo. Ain't gonna happen.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 08:16 PM   #3566
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
The Republicans have shown nothing but contempt for the Constitution, and thanks to Mitch the Turtle, have the Supreme Court in their pocket
Old 1st November 2019, 08:40 PM   #3567
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
And, lo, there was great rejoicing in the land of the Yankees.

Local adage;
What scares a Southern Man?

A Yankee with a YouHaul.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 08:44 PM   #3568
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
And Trump has all that campaign money to spend because he continues to stiff contractors including cities that provided security for his rallies.
Can the political parties collect interest on their war chests? I assume they do, and that's one reason Trump does not disperse these funds (the other reason is he's a grifter and would probably like to skip out on paying the costs altogether).

This leads to an interesting question that I've never seen answered: How quickly does the Trump campaign payoff Trump-related businesses for using their facilities (e.g., renting Mar-a-Lago)?
Old 1st November 2019, 08:45 PM   #3569
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

I love New York, but New York can never be great again under the current leadership of Governor Andrew Cuomo (the brother of Fredo), or Mayor Bill DeBlasio. Cuomo has weaponized the prosecutors to do his dirty work (and to keep him out of jams), a reason some don’t want to be...

And instead of trying to make things better Trump chooses to run away. Typical Trump.

Quote:

....in New York, and another reason they are leaving. Taxes and energy costs are way too high, Upstate is being allowed to die as other nearby states frack & drill for Gold (oil) while reducing taxes & creating jobs by the thousands. NYC is getting dirty & unsafe again, as....

Run away, Trump. Run away.

Quote:

....our great police are being disrespected, even with water dumped on them, because a Mayor and Governor just don’t “have their backs.” New York’s Finest must be cherished, respected and loved. Too many prople are leaving our special New York. Great leaders would work....

So the thing to do is to run away with them.

Quote:

.....with a President and Federal Government that wants our wonerful City and State to flourish and thrive. I Love New York!

But not enough to stay and try to fix anything.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 1st November 2019 at 08:46 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 08:50 PM   #3570
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I'm pretty sure that if Trump loses, then the Republicans will turn on him.

Of course they will. And Republicans don't just eat their dead. They don't wait that long.

They devour them, gleefully, while they are still alive and kicking.

And smile at the camera with bloodstained mouths, proclaiming their sincerity and morality.

Old 1st November 2019, 08:51 PM   #3571
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
And instead of trying to make things better Trump chooses to run away. Typical Trump.

Run away, Trump. Run away.

So the thing to do is to run away with them.

But not enough to stay and try to fix anything.

He's a lot like Sir Robin.
Old 1st November 2019, 09:14 PM   #3572
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Can the political parties collect interest on their war chests? I assume they do, and that's one reason Trump does not disperse these funds (the other reason is he's a grifter and would probably like to skip out on paying the costs altogether).
Yep.
I think he’s reached the point that it is a matter of pride for him to not pay debts. It’s a game and paying a debt when you don’t have to means you’re a loser. The man has no idea what honor is.
Old 1st November 2019, 11:29 PM   #3573
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

I'm a lot less certain than you, but I hope you're right.
Same here.

Pretense to fight against audit/release of tax returns, maybe?

Anyways... random news!

Michigan Republicans advance ‘dangerous,’ ‘negligent’ gun laws out of committee

It continues.

Reporter visits Trump's Doral resort, finds a sh*thole

Very high prices for... a fine view of garbage dumps! Mold easily visible! Feces-caked toilets!

Plenty more, apparently, but... ugh.

Perfect place for world leaders to gather to do important things, eh?

GOP Senators admit reality: Quid pro Quo is real, Trump committed extortion

But not actually admitting crime occurred yet, of course, as they keep getting ruthlessly driven back by the obvious truth.

Justice Department Tells Judge That Courts Are Powerless Over Trump

Checks and Balances? What's that? Can you eat it
Old 2nd November 2019, 04:33 AM   #3574
Distracted1
Illuminator

The response , then, is to seat the fraudulently elected candidate?

Didn't they just run through something like that in North Carolina?
Old 2nd November 2019, 06:24 AM   #3575
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Local adage;
What scares a Southern Man?

A Yankee with a YouHaul.
My right wing brother was complaining about all the Californians moving to Oklahoma and bringing their liberal politics. They should go back where the came from.

I don't think that he understood Steinbeck.

(And I have no idea if that's a real trend or not. )

Last edited by phiwum; 2nd November 2019 at 07:40 AM.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 07:12 AM   #3576
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I'm pretty sure that if Trump loses, then the Republicans will turn on him.
I think (hope) that is true, to a great degree. There must be many who are old-style dignified conservatives, with deep-rooted personal values. And he must be loosing friends in the military at an alarming rate. Trump's antics must make them cringe. But they are stuck between a rock and a hard place:

The ingrown bipartisan thinking makes it impossible for them to support the DEMs, so any republican is better than no republican. Nobody wants to be the one to break out and show their true colors, because they will be be scorned as the one who made the GOP loose.

So they bide their time in hope somebody else cries "he has no clothes", or wait for Trump to defeat himself. Then they will come out of the wood-work.

Hans
Old 2nd November 2019, 07:19 AM   #3577
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Sadly and ironically the one good thing is that if the Republicans want to turn on Trump they can just... like lie and pretend they never supported him in the first place.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 07:24 AM   #3578
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Smugglers are using $100 power tools to cut through Trump's border wall in a matter of minutes

The way the slats are attached only at the top means that it only requires one cut to allow the slat to be pushed out of the way enough for a person to get through the gap. It's difficult to detect once done, because the slat just hangs there.
Old 2nd November 2019, 07:25 AM   #3579
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Sadly and ironically the one good thing is that if the Republicans want to turn on Trump they can just... like lie and pretend they never supported him in the first place.
Well, as long as the stop supporting him, I for one am willing to let them get away with that.

There is also the more likely position that they supported him in the start, but at some point he stepped over some line. That may also happen if he pushes his luck too far. Remember that his attempts to seize more and more power is not going to please deep conservatives who really view government power as an evil.

Hans
Old 2nd November 2019, 07:26 AM   #3580
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Smugglers are using $100 power tools to cut through Trump's border wall in a matter of minutes

The way the slats are attached only at the top means that it only requires one cut to allow the slat to be pushed out of the way enough for a person to get through the gap. It's difficult to detect once done, because the slat just hangs there.
Old 2nd November 2019, 07:27 AM   #3581
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I think the strategy for the more principled Republicans is to metaphorically "hide in a corner", trying to walk a line between not supporting him yet not actively working against him.

Not necessarily laudable behavior, yet not as bad as trying to make his behavior seem acceptable either.
Old 2nd November 2019, 07:31 AM   #3582
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

My right wing brother was complaining about all the Californians moving to Oklahoma and bringing their literal politics. They should go back where the came from.

I don't think that he understood Steinbeck.

(And I have no idea if that's a real trend or not. )
Obviously you meant "liberal" but I kind of like "literal"!

I'd expect some degree of migration because of housing prices. Many folks could sell a modest home in CA and get a mansion in OK.
Old 2nd November 2019, 07:41 AM   #3583
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Obviously you meant "liberal" but I kind of like "literal"!

I'd expect some degree of migration because of housing prices. Many folks could sell a modest home in CA and get a mansion in OK.
Yes, but then you'd be in Oklahoma.

Fixed the typo, thanks.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 08:28 AM   #3584
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

...our wonerful City and State...
Anyone else old enough to be reminded of Lawrence Welk?
Old 2nd November 2019, 08:31 AM   #3585
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post

But it's impregnable! Nobody can defeat it!

Except with a saw, a ladder, a rope, tunneling, or just sheer climbing ability. I suppose one could even use a crane to lift someone or a package over, but there's no need to get that expensive about it. For small packages, drones will do.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will

Last edited by shemp; 2nd November 2019 at 08:32 AM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 09:29 AM   #3586
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Catapults, too.
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:10 AM   #3587
autumn1971
Illuminator

Catapults, too.
Trebuchets, you heathen!
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:15 AM   #3588
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Catapults, too.
In this Forum, we say "Trebuchet".

(eta) We also say "ninja'd!"
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:25 AM   #3589
Cain
Straussian

Power tools do not cut through walls. People cut through walls.

Last edited by Cain; 2nd November 2019 at 11:48 AM.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:32 AM   #3590
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

The big worry is that Dump would blab some information about him that
would reveal important information about our intelligence operation.

Like what? A spy satellite selfie?
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:43 AM   #3591
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
I think (hope) that is true, to a great degree. There must be many who are old-style dignified conservatives, with deep-rooted personal values.

<snip>

Mebbe so. Shame that none of them are able to win elections and get into office.

Old 2nd November 2019, 02:11 PM   #3592
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Mod Info Due to the length of this thread I've opened a continuation here: Part 18.
Posted By:Agatha

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics