ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , hillary clinton , presidential candidates , Russia conspiracies , Tulsi Gabbard

Old 18th October 2019, 09:18 AM   #1
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Hillary Clinton says Tulsi Gabbard is a 'Russian asset'

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...tion?_amp=true

Hillary Clinton said that Rep. Tulsi Gabbard is being groomed by Moscow to run as a third-party spoiler candidate in 2020 to help President Trump win reelection.

The former secretary of state pushed the theory on the Campaign HQ podcast hosted by David Plouffe, President Barack Obama’s campaign manager in 2008.
Old 18th October 2019, 09:20 AM   #2
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

she is correct.

/thread closed
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 10:03 AM   #3
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

She's polling at 1% among democratic primary voters. I don't really see how she is going to be viable as a 3rd party spoiler when she doesn't really have much support from Democratic voters.
Old 18th October 2019, 10:04 AM   #4
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
She's polling at 1% among democratic primary voters. I don't really see how she is going to be viable as a 3rd party spoiler when she doesn't really have much support from Democratic voters.
she does if you believe the twitter bots and RT reports.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 10:08 AM   #5
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Just look at the 2016 presidential election.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 10:24 AM   #6
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

No circular firing squad.

Normal firing squads still perfectly acceptable.

This just feeds progressive resentment that once again the objection was to firing back.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 10:31 AM   #7
Venom
Illuminator

Clinton is wrong for that.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 10:36 AM   #8
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

The last election was extremely close, and the republicans won by only a few thousand votes in a few key states. If we get a repeat of the 2016 election, then marginal votes like that may be important.

Remember, Nader polled with under 3% in 2000, and many democrats think that had he not run, his voters would have shifted to the Democrats and they might have won Florida (and thus the presidency).

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 10:39 AM   #9
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post

Hillary Clinton said that Rep. Tulsi Gabbard is being groomed by Moscow to run as a third-party spoiler candidate in 2020 to help President Trump win reelection.

The former secretary of state pushed the theory on the Campaign HQ podcast hosted by David Plouffe, President Barack Obama’s campaign manager in 2008.
Wouldn't you rather talk about her emails?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 11:00 AM   #10
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

She also said that Green Party presidential candidate in 2012 and 2016, Jill Stein, is "totally" a Russian asset.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 11:03 AM   #11
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

It's 2019, does anybody care what Hillary Clinton says about anything?
Old 18th October 2019, 11:05 AM   #12
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I'd like to know how Bill convinced her that getting blow jobs from the intern at work was totally not a big deal. You know, for research.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 11:09 AM   #13
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
She also said that Green Party presidential candidate in 2012 and 2016, Jill Stein, is "totally" a Russian asset.
Hanlon's Razor, v2.0: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by useful idiocy.
Old 18th October 2019, 11:11 AM   #14
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Hanlon's Razor, v2.0: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by useful idiocy.
The word "asset" does not imply that they are knowingly working for the Russians.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 11:12 AM   #15
llwyd
Muse

Well, correct.
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 11:14 AM   #16
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I'd like to know how Bill convinced her that getting blow jobs from the intern at work was totally not a big deal. You know, for research.
From my observer's insight into straight people's relationships I'd guess it could easily be accomplished by asking "well, will you do it?" Delegation is a skill politicians must master.
Old 18th October 2019, 11:30 AM   #17
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

From my observer's insight into straight people's relationships I'd guess it could easily be accomplished by asking "well, will you do it?" Delegation is a skill politicians must master.
So good. Thank you.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 11:34 AM   #18
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post

Wait, seriously?

I thought it was going to be something benign like "Gabbard's spoiling effect on the race is playing right into Putin's hands". Not literally "trained Russian agent".

ETA: From the link. The wording is a bit ambiguous, and doesn't actually mention training. Just "grooming":
"They are also going to do third party again," Clinton, 71, said. "I'm not making any predictions, but I think they’ve got their eye on somebody who is currently in the Democratic primary and are grooming her to be the third-party candidate," Clinton said, referring to Gabbard, without mentioning the Hawaii representative by name.

"She is a favorite of the Russians. They have a bunch of sites and bots and other ways of supporting her so far. That's assuming Jill Stein will give it up, which she might not because she is also a Russian asset.

"They know they can't win without a third-party candidate, and so I do not know who it's going to be, but I can guarantee you they will have a vigorous third-party challenge in the key states that they most need it."
So it could very well be simply "Gabbard is effectively a Russian asset (but not literally their agent)".

On the other hand, things like "grooming" and "they will have a vigorous third-party challenge in the key states that they most need it" kind of suggests a higher level of cooperation between Gabbard and Russia than actually exists.

Either way, it's a ****** thing to say. And if one of Russia's goals is to undermine American faith in its system of government, then Hillary is playing right into Putin's hands by pushing this narrative.

Last edited by theprestige; 18th October 2019 at 11:39 AM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 11:36 AM   #19
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Seriously. The next relevant Hillary Clinton headline will be her obituary in a decade or two.
Old 18th October 2019, 11:42 AM   #20
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I thought it was going to be something benign like "Gabbard's spoiling effect on the race is playing right into Putin's hands". Not literally "trained Russian agent".
Did you listen to the clip? She described the Russians supporting someone, presumably Gabbard, to be a spoiling effect. She did not say Gabbard was a trained Russian agent.

Also, who cares what Clinton says? She’s out of the picture.
Old 18th October 2019, 11:43 AM   #21
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Seriously. The next relevant Hillary Clinton headline will be her obituary in a decade or two.
Well, maybe she could pivot to becoming an Instagram or YouTube celebrity. I gather tutorials on how to do makeup are a popular thing now, and has made stars of all sorts of odd people. I admit that despite my dislike of Clinton I'd watch a video if she made one about how to put on sparkly cosmetics to look like an alien. Or if she compiled cute puppy videos.
Old 18th October 2019, 11:46 AM   #22
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Smartest thing Gabbard could do is state under no circumstnaces would she run as a third party candidate.I suspect there might be some bad blood between Hilary and Tulsi. Catfight time.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 11:49 AM   #23
Giz
Philosopher

if one of Russia's goals is to undermine American faith in its system of government, then Hillary is playing right into Putin's hands by pushing this narrative.
She's hardly the only one that's spent 3 years trying to undermine American faith in it's system of government.

Putin's never had so many 'assets'.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 11:53 AM   #24
Venom
Illuminator

A fair number of Tulsi zealots want her to run third party.

But Tulsi has been a Democrat for 18 years and I doubt that'll change.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 11:54 AM   #25
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey
Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post

"Awww, come on, Hillary. I'm the most powerful man on the planet and all history. It'd be wrong not to!"

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 12:14 PM   #26
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Caitlin Johnstone had a funny piece on this (gone finally too far?) idiocy yesterday, dunno if it was before or after Killary opened her ugly mouth.

Truth is a Kremlin Talking Point

Originally Posted by Caitlin Johnstone
[...] So the establishment narrative managers now have an official three-word debunk of any criticism of the establishment which employs them, which applies even when that criticism is fully based in facts and reality. Facts are a Kremlin talking point, and anyone who believes them is Russian. Facts are Russian. Truth is Russian. Skepticism is Russian. Asking questions is Russian. Dissent is Russian. Revolution is Russian.

So let’s all get Russian then, baby. Let’s all fill our heads with objectively true Kremlin talking points and Cossack dance our way to a fact-based relationship with reality. Get as Russian as possible. Get aggressively Russian. Get offensively Russian. Get so Russian it hurts. Get so Russian it curls Louise Mensch’s hair. If they are going to start telling us that truth is Russian, then the only appropriate thing to say in response is dasvidaniya.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 18th October 2019, 12:16 PM   #27
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Whenever I hear about this kind of intrigue I wonder if the Democrats ever think along the same lines. I'm undecided if they *should*, because (if true) it's a sneaky, underhanded maneuver, but I do like the idea of them at least being able to think that way.

I'd love it if some reasonable conservative ran as a third party (or fourth, or fifth) candidate to split the conservative vote. Or conceivably there could be a challenge from the extreme right though I'm not sure how that would go. The white supremacist faction is probably OK with Trump.

Dems need all the insurance they can get, so I hope there's a concerted effort nationwide to register voters and check if they have adequate ID.

Hillary either has very strong evidence or she's flipped her lid.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 12:17 PM   #28
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Killary
Gods, you're so one-note.

Old 18th October 2019, 12:24 PM   #29
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Smartest thing Gabbard could do is state under no circumstnaces would she run as a third party candidate.I suspect there might be some bad blood between Hilary and Tulsi. Catfight time.
Why would she do that? The smartest thing to do is probably to keep her mouth shut until it's time to make the announcement.

Catfight? Would you use that word of the pols involved were men?
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 12:26 PM   #30
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Did you listen to the clip? She described the Russians supporting someone, presumably Gabbard, to be a spoiling effect. She did not say Gabbard was a trained Russian agent.
I read the linked article and updated my post with more detailed information.

Quote:
Also, who cares what Clinton says? She’s out of the picture.
I get that Hillary Clinton will never be president, but what's the deal with putting her on a political ice floe? Do you really believe that now she's lost her last presidential election, her opinions and insights on politics in America no longer matter? That she no longer has anything of value or significance to say on that subject?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 12:28 PM   #31
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I mean if I had to rank Democrats on some sort of "importance" meter I'd put the former Secretary of State and the person who actually won the last election in any sane world above some random junior Representative who just one of 3 trillion Democrats running in the Primary.

Not saying Hillary shouldn't go away but I don't know if that's the same thing as "unimportant."
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 12:35 PM   #32
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I mean if I had to rank Democrats on some sort of "importance" meter I'd put the former Secretary of State and the person who actually won the last election in any sane world above some random junior Representative who just one of 3 trillion Democrats running in the Primary.

Not saying Hillary shouldn't go away but I don't know if that's the same thing as "unimportant."
Used to be important < currently not very important.

That's just my $0.02, however.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 12:36 PM   #33
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Caitlin Johnstone

....Killary.....
and....that's about as far as most people can get into your post.
Old 18th October 2019, 12:38 PM   #34
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm impressed Hillary has time to out Russian spies, what with the work that running a child sex dungeon in a pizza parlor must be. I mean I've never worked in the industry but I imagine there's a lot of paperwork and it must make the health inspections a nightmare. I mean do you take the child sex slaves through the kitchen to the basement? That can't be sanitary.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 12:42 PM   #35
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I admit that despite my dislike of Clinton I'd watch a video if she made one about how to put on sparkly cosmetics to look like an alien.
She should make tutorial videos of how to put on makeup to look human.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 12:43 PM   #36
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I'm impressed Hillary has time to out Russian spies, what with the work that running a child sex dungeon in a pizza parlor must be. I mean I've never worked in the industry but I imagine there's a lot of paperwork and it must make the health inspections a nightmare. I mean do you take the child sex slaves through the kitchen to the basement? That can't be sanitary.
And killing people! What a hypocrite!

Out of the hundreds if not thousands of friends and associates it's amazing how many of these folks are dying suddenly or getting shot in a country with only 300M+ firearms and 500 billion cheeseburgers.
Old 18th October 2019, 01:06 PM   #37
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
she is correct.

/thread closed
au contraire mon ami напротив, мой друг, mate.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 01:11 PM   #38
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
au contraire mon ami напротив, мой друг, mate.
Tovarisch*
Old 18th October 2019, 01:12 PM   #39
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I read the linked article and updated my post with more detailed information.
Which is better, but still inferring more than anything she actually said.

I get that Hillary Clinton will never be president, but what's the deal with putting her on a political ice floe? Do you really believe that now she's lost her last presidential election, her opinions and insights on politics in America no longer matter? That she no longer has anything of value or significance to say on that subject?
Her opinion matters no more than any other retired politician and quite a bit less than others. Hell, Newt Gingrich is actively hawing his party line on Fox News on a semi-regular basis. He's more influential these days than Clinton, if by volume alone.
Old 18th October 2019, 01:33 PM   #40
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Which is better, but still inferring more than anything she actually said.
Yep. Got a little carried away there.

I still think it's a ****** thing to say, and that it serves Putin's agenda. But that's probably a damned-either-way kind of thing.

Quote:
Her opinion matters no more than any other retired politician and quite a bit less than others. Hell, Newt Gingrich is actively hawing his party line on Fox News on a semi-regular basis. He's more influential these days than Clinton, if by volume alone.
In that case I don't feel so bad about getting carried away with my inferences. It's not like it matters either way.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics