ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 6th November 2019, 10:37 AM   #401
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

President Trump: “Based on the things I’ve seen, the Democrats have no case, or a weak case, at best.”

When it comes to impeachment cases in general, I’m having a hard time thinking of people less qualified to judge the strength of a case. When it comes to his own case, there is without a doubt no one less qualified to judge a case’s strength.
Old 6th November 2019, 10:44 AM   #402
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweeted

“Based on the things I’ve seen, the Democrats have no case, or a weak case, at best. I don’t think there are, or will be, well founded articles of Impeachment here.” Robert Wray, respected former prosecutor. It is a phony scam by the Do Nothing Dems!
@foxandfriends

I don't know if it's the same guy, but searching for "Robert Wray prosecutor" only comes up with Trump's Tweet and Robert Wray PLLC, a "boutique international law firm" that appears to specialize in international trade and finance. Their website says that Wray was appointed by Nixon to serve as General Counsel of the U.S. Agency for International Development. No mention of being a prosecutor.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 10:45 AM   #403
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
President Trump: “Based on the things I’ve seen, the Democrats have no case, or a weak case, at best.”

When it comes to impeachment cases in general, I’m having a hard time thinking of people less qualified to judge the strength of a case. When it comes to his own case, there is without a doubt no one less qualified to judge a case’s strength.
Where is it where it was something like, you are in the unique position of having a defendant who says they didn't do it. It was a movie, but I don't know which one (maybe My Cousin Vinny?)

But, yeah, ok, we have established that the accused doesn't think the the prosecution has much of a case.

(but notice, he is now admitting that there could be a case, but it is "weak." So much for the "perfect" phone call)

How many Trumpets would put any significance in such a thing if it were a black man accused of a crime?
Old 6th November 2019, 10:48 AM   #404
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Why are the final Kentucky votes so slow coming in? Remote Scottish islands get their votes counted quicker than this
Old 6th November 2019, 10:50 AM   #405
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

So if there were some type of civil war, who would be shooting at whom.

I mean, there won’t be uniforms, will there? Do the Trumpsters just shoot at people driving cars with Bernie stickers? do they go down to the state legislature? do they go to the county clerk’s office and write down the names of the folks that voted in the Democratic primary?

ETA
I was thinking maybe there could be a shibboleth.
Then I realized that the test might be to assume that people who use whom correctly do not support President Trump.

Wait, I’ve got it. At the risk of being overly meta, people who know what the word shibboleth means probably correlate pretty well with the never-Trumpers.

Last edited by Ladewig; 6th November 2019 at 10:57 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 10:50 AM   #406
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
How many Trumpets would put any significance in such a thing if it were a black man accused of a crime?
To answer that question, I direct you to a black man saluting his subordinate with a coffee cup in his hands.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 11:07 AM   #407
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
You start by arming up and getting ready for when they try to start Civil War II. When they've exhausted all legal options, they'll turn upon the nonbelievers. They answer only to a god of vengeance. Prepare to defend yourself and your family against them.
/semi-hyperbole

ETA: completely ninja'ed by the argument about what to call the war that destroys American democracy

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell

Last edited by Paul2; 6th November 2019 at 11:09 AM.
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 11:10 AM   #408
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Why are the final Kentucky votes so slow coming in? Remote Scottish islands get their votes counted quicker than this
these things take time to fiddle
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 11:13 AM   #409
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

The people doing the fiddling have to be taught to read first.
Old 6th November 2019, 11:22 AM   #410
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

I mean, there won’t be uniforms, will there? Do the Trumpsters just shoot at people driving cars with Bernie stickers? do they go down to the state legislature? do they go to the county clerk’s office and write down the names of the folks that voted in the Democratic primary?

Yeah, it will probably be something like that. Yugoslavian civil war type ethnic cleansing. Local militia groups deciding to "finally do something about those people". In some places the police will try to stop it, in other places, they'll ignore it, or even be part of the militia. Whenever the military shows up, they'll stomp the **** out of anyone stupid enough not to fade into the shadows, but once they're gone, the militias will come back out.
Old 6th November 2019, 11:30 AM   #411
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Yeah, it will probably be something like that. Yugoslavian civil war type ethnic cleansing. Local militia groups deciding to "finally do something about those people". In some places the police will try to stop it, in other places, they'll ignore it, or even be part of the militia. Whenever the military shows up, they'll stomp the **** out of anyone stupid enough not to fade into the shadows, but once they're gone, the militias will come back out.
Simply poison the nation's supply of chewing tobacco. We'll be more liberal than Canada within a week.
Old 6th November 2019, 11:34 AM   #412
The Shrike
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Simply poison the nation's supply of chewing tobacco. We'll be more liberal than Canada within a week.
You're not wrong.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 11:38 AM   #413
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I thought it was understood that Trump is a plant to identify seditious elements in the population by selling them Red Hats - the next Democrat President can have them all rounded up and send to FEMA re-education camps.
Old 6th November 2019, 11:51 AM   #414
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I thought it was understood that Trump is a plant to identify seditious elements in the population by selling them Red Hats - the next Democrat President can have them all rounded up and send to FEMA re-education camps.
The wearing of baseball caps when not playing baseball deserves punishment.
Old 6th November 2019, 12:26 PM   #415
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Well in 2016 my wife was threatened at a gas station for having a bernie sticker.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 12:27 PM   #416
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweeted

Just had a meeting with top representatives from Egypt, Ethiopia, and Sudan to help solve their long running dispute on the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam, one of the largest in the world, currently being built. The meeting went well and discussions will continue during the day!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 12:30 PM   #417
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Trump Tweeted

Just had a meeting with top representatives from Egypt, Ethiopia, and Sudan to help solve their long running dispute on the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam, one of the largest in the world, currently being built. The meeting went well and discussions will continue during the day!

So, are we taking odds on the dam never being built, vs. being built incredibly shoddily because Trump encourages them all to shaft their contractors?
Old 6th November 2019, 12:38 PM   #418
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
The Republican hasn't conceded yet, and it was mentioned in the 2019 election thread that there's a small chance of the Republican legislators actually deciding the winner.

He might mean there will be a lot of winning, if they do things right.
I thought I had read somewhere that if they tried having the legislator's decide the election that it's possible that violates there is grounds for a lawsuit. I'm trying to find the article now.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 12:39 PM   #419
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

So, are we taking odds on the dam never being built, vs. being built incredibly shoddily because Trump encourages them all to shaft their contractors?
It's all a misunderstanding. Trump announced he planned to meet with them and they responded "big damn deal!" Now he thinks he's doing a construction project.
Old 6th November 2019, 12:46 PM   #420
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump Tweets

A lot of winning in Kentucky. Check out the numbers.

Our big Kentucky Rally on Monday night had a massive impact on all of the races. The increase in Governors race was at least 15 points, and maybe 20! Will be in Louisiana for
@EddieRispone on Wednesday night. Big Rally!
Does he know what the results are? It's a blue sweep.
Old 6th November 2019, 12:47 PM   #421
Armitage72
Illuminator

I'm betting that at some point he'll talk about cooperative international funding, ignorant of the fact that Ethiopia wants to build it entirely on their own specifically so Egypt can't pressure foreign backers to withdraw support.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 12:48 PM   #422
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Well, the swamp is deeper than we thought.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Yeah, you bet he doesn't want us to see his finances.
She takes too long to get to the point. Can you summarize or tell us where to skip ahead to?
Old 6th November 2019, 12:49 PM   #423
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I have said this before and say it again: it's really hard to find a middle ground when people live in such very different realities.

The best example is the survey that showed that a majority of Trump supporters believe that white Christian men are the most discriminated against group in the US. This survey came out literally at the time when Trump was trying to ban Muslims from entering the US on the fact that they were Muslim. And still, the real victims were white men.

It's a completely different reality. White Christian men are the most discriminated against group in the US and Trump is extremely popular abroad. Where do you even start?
Well... This might be a way to start?

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
This reminds me of a complaint from the 2016 election. Really short version, though, is that the rules and equipment are not fully standardized when it comes to voting and counting the votes. Some places will naturally take longer to submit a final count than others, given the local rules and equipment. Sometimes, it can even take days.
Old 6th November 2019, 12:52 PM   #424
Aridas

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
She takes too long to get to the point. Can you summarize or tell us where to skip ahead to?
2017 episode that pokes at that Trump Tower in Azerbaijan and that that alone would likely be grounds for locking Trump up under foreign corrupt practices law.
Old 6th November 2019, 12:52 PM   #425
Belz...
Fiend God

Yeah sorry about linking to a video. It's about shady dealings in Azerbaijan, in part by the Trump clan. You can read a New Yorker article on the topic from 2017 if you want:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...mps-worst-deal

But seriously, it's usually worth waiting for Maddow to get to her point. Plus, the Tacoma Narrows Bridge is always a fun topic.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 01:00 PM   #426
Paul2
Philosopher

I love Rachel, she does stuff no one else comes close to, but she can circle a topic and say the same thing again and again and it drives me crazy. I get why she does that technique (people don't hear much the first time), but she does it a bit too much.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 01:01 PM   #427
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I don't think refusing to provide online access to the Times for a few thousand dollars violates the First Amendment.
Really? Seriously?

Wow!
Old 6th November 2019, 01:03 PM   #428
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
This reminds me of a complaint from the 2016 election. Really short version, though, is that the rules and equipment are not fully standardized when it comes to voting and counting the votes. Some places will naturally take longer to submit a final count than others, given the local rules and equipment. Sometimes, it can even take days.
John Oliver had a pretty good breakdown, as he always does, on the voting machines. I think a lot of people, outside the tech industry, don't realize how extremely terrible and insecure those machines are designed.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 01:07 PM   #429
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Doesn't matter, Donald Trump has a government job:
It's a product and Donald Jr is a relative.
It's illegal the same way Kellyann Conway endorsing Ivanka's jewelry was.* Both violations are drowned out in a sea of another outrageous thing.

*Unless the POTUS is exempted.
Old 6th November 2019, 01:21 PM   #430
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
I love Rachel, she does stuff no one else comes close to, but she can circle a topic and say the same thing again and again and it drives me crazy. I get why she does that technique (people don't hear much the first time), but she does it a bit too much.
[Sidenote] She started out telling us how Seatac Airport got its name. How was that related to the end (I skipped to it myself) where she says Ivanka and Trump are doing deals with a gangster? [/sidenote]

And I had seen that episode before, I was expecting something new.
Old 6th November 2019, 01:53 PM   #431
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I prefer the word diddle. Fiddle can be a positive thing e.g. please fiddle with the knobs until the signal is clear.

Diddle can mean to cheat or swindle. It can also mean to deliberately falsify something. It can also me to **** someone.
Old 6th November 2019, 01:54 PM   #432
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Cripes. I don’t ever want to get on the wrong side of you.

Old 6th November 2019, 01:58 PM   #433
Paul2
Philosopher

[Sidenote] She started out telling us how Seatac Airport got its name.
Either she's the type of person who, when writing fiction, would spend a lot of time in description and atmosphere, as opposed to moving the plot along, or she's padding her time.

Old 6th November 2019, 02:12 PM   #434
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Isn't he still being questioned about why he had to go to Rick Perry to to get his story straight? I think he was asked, and all he said was to jog his memory.
I don't know.

But I did find interesting Rachel Maddow going over the texts back and forth to Sondland where it clearly shows he lied during the inquiry when they deposed him and actually lied when he revised his statement. Sondland was still couching the facts pretending he didn't know who or why military aid was suspended.

The texts show he definitely did know who and why the aid was suspended because he himself told Ukrainian leaders that military aid was suspended until they publicly announced an investigation into Burisma and Joe/Hunter Biden.

https://youtu.be/qPL-HBdnBy0
Old 6th November 2019, 02:50 PM   #435
Aridas

Republicans so concerned about access to impeachment hearings, that they're not bothering to come

Shock! Such shock!

Also, looks like the Blue Wave hasn't really diminished even in these off-year elections. Looks like we're up to 9 state legislatures flipped since 2016, all to Democrats, and serious losses just about across the board for Republicans in numbers that help make Trump's removal more feasible politically.
Old 6th November 2019, 03:00 PM   #436
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Just had a very good call with President @RTErdogan of Turkey. He informed me that they have captured numerous ISIS fighters that were reported to have escaped during the conflict – including a wife and sister of terrorist killer al Baghdadi….

....Also talked about their Border with Syria, the eradication of terrorism, the ending of hostilities with the Kurds, and many other topics. Look forward to seeing President Erdogan next Wednesday, November 13th at the @WhiteHouse!
Old 6th November 2019, 03:05 PM   #437
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Just had a very good call with President @RTErdogan of Turkey. He informed me that they have captured numerous ISIS fighters that were reported to have escaped during the conflict – including a wife and sister of terrorist killer al Baghdadi….
You mean the ones that escaped because you withdrew American forces and allowed Turkey to engage in open conflict with the Kurds (you know, the ones that had been American allies and were the ones holding the prisoners.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 03:06 PM   #438
Aridas

Trump Tweets

....Also talked about their Border with Syria, the eradication of terrorism, the ending of hostilities with the Kurds, and many other topics. Look forward to seeing President Erdogan next Wednesday, November 13th at the @WhiteHouse!
A very good call with a guy who's claiming that he cleaned up a little bit of the mess that he made after engaging in a little spot of very illegal ethnic cleansing of American allies on territory that he doesn't have jurisdiction over? Yes, let's entertain that guy magnificently in the White House now!

Last edited by Aridas; 6th November 2019 at 03:07 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 03:30 PM   #439
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump went to the World Series and got booed.

Trump went to a UFC fight and got booed.

Trump went to Kentucky and the next day the state elected a Democrat.

I see a pattern emerging.
Old 6th November 2019, 03:34 PM   #440
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

[Sidenote] She started out telling us how Seatac Airport got its name. How was that related to the end (I skipped to it myself) where she says Ivanka and Trump are doing deals with a gangster? [/sidenote]

And I had seen that episode before, I was expecting something new.
Have to agree. Perhaps she should do a weekly show that is the actual substance of the story from the nightly show.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics