ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 7th November 2019, 08:13 AM   #481
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Just the other day, I for some reason thought about The Apprentice. I watched the first three seasons, and to my recollection it was never brought up that Trump is Old Money. So, given that he even then exhibited all of the New Money insecurities to a cartoonish degree, I assumed he was self-made.
In part because he was never accepted as old money, just as the obnoxious kid of a slum lord like he is.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 08:23 AM   #482
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

It was just explained to me that for next weeks Fake Hearing (trial) in the House, as they interview Never Trumpers and others, I get NO LAWYER & NO DUE PROCESS. It is a Pelosi, Schiff, Scam against the Republican Party and me. This Witch Hunt should not be allowed to proceed!
Sounds like an impeachable offense just to say that.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 08:24 AM   #483
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
There has been some response but only after several news organization reported this story and it became clear that the Trump campaign was probably breaking campaign law.

I predict this story won't faze Donnie's supporters. They'll just think, 'Okay he was too busy to have breakfast with someone. So what?' Anyway, if you can support someone like Donald Trump this is probably what you expect of him anyway. Most of his supporters strike me as Big Man Followers. Trump's a Big Man. You don't question him! Where is Lewis Carroll when we really need him?

MAGA!!!
Have you ever read Trump's schedule? There is almost nothing ever on it.
Old 7th November 2019, 08:27 AM   #484
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Trump Tweets

Years ago, when Media was legitimate, people known as “Fact Checkers” would always call to check and see if a story was accurate. Nowadays they don’t use “Fact Checkers” anymore, they just write whatever they want!
Yes. Years ago. And way back then when the office of the White House Press Secretary was legitimate, these fact checkers would call the White House and employees would answer their questions and would explain where the president got the numbers he used in speeches.
Old 7th November 2019, 08:28 AM   #485
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
There has been some response but only after several news organization reported this story and it became clear that the Trump campaign was probably breaking campaign law.

I predict this story won't faze Donnie's supporters. They'll just think, 'Okay he was too busy to have breakfast with someone. So what?' Anyway, if you can support someone like Donald Trump this is probably what you expect of him anyway. Most of his supporters strike me as Big Man Followers. Trump's a Big Man. You don't question him! Where is Lewis Carroll when we really need him?

MAGA!!!
The truth, which is that Trump has nothing but contempt for his supporters, is not something the MAGA chuds would like to confront. Easier to believe that the God-Emperor is too busy with Important Work to meet for a 20 minute breakfast.
Old 7th November 2019, 08:29 AM   #486
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

It was just explained to me that for next weeks Fake Hearing (trial) in the House, as they interview Never Trumpers and others, I get NO LAWYER & NO DUE PROCESS. It is a Pelosi, Schiff, Scam against the Republican Party and me. This Witch Hunt should not be allowed to proceed!
Yes, that's how impeachment works. Welcome to the party, Donald.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 08:33 AM   #487
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
In part because he was never accepted as old money, just as the obnoxious kid of a slum lord like he is.
He wasn't accepted as old money because he's NOT old money, just the son of new money.
Old 7th November 2019, 08:33 AM   #488
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
The truth, which is that Trump has nothing but contempt for his supporters, is not something the MAGA chuds would like to confront. Easier to believe that the God-Emperor is too busy with Important Work to meet for a 20 minute breakfast.
Well, to be fair, it seems his supporters are not the only people the Trumpster has contempt for.
Old 7th November 2019, 08:41 AM   #489
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Trump Tweets

I'm fairly certain Trump's lawyer can go sit in the pews and watch like anyone else.

Even if Trump's lawyer were given a seat at the bench a few seats down from where the witnesses address the committee, they'd sit there quietly unless called on because they would want to keep their credentials.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 08:52 AM   #490
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
He's getting closer and closer to ranting about strawberries and duplicate keys, isn't he?
I find that most unsettling.
Mainly because it will not have even the slightest impact on his approval numbers. He could say, all those stories about obstruction were fabricated by 11-fingered Zanzibari albino disinformation agents and the ******* GOP and their base would say “damn those 11-fingered Zanzibari albino disinformation agents, they are always doing stuff like that”
Old 7th November 2019, 09:26 AM   #491
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The Amazon Washington Post and three lowlife reporters, Matt Zapotosky, Josh Dawsey, and Carol Leonnig, wrote another Fake News story, without any sources (pure fiction), about Bill Barr & myself. We both deny this story, which they knew before they wrote it. A garbage newspaper!

The Radical Left Dems and LameStream Media are just trying to make it hard for Republicans and me to win in 2020. The new Impeachment Hoax is already turning against them!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 09:33 AM   #492
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Yes. Years ago. And way back then when the office of the White House Press Secretary was legitimate, these fact checkers would call the White House and employees would answer their questions and would explain where the president got the numbers he used in speeches.
How about about when they actually have press briefings?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 09:41 AM   #493
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I had a weird thought about the Trump presidency last night.

In fiction there are generally two types of time travel stories: fragile timelines and robust timelines. In the fragile timeline stories, like Back to the Future, any little change can have massive impacts on the future. In robust timeline stories, like Travelers, even with concerted efforts to impact the future it is difficult to make substantial changes.

The further we go along in the Trump presidency the more I feel like someone is trying to stop a disaster by preventing the election of Trump, and then exposing every criminal aspect of the Trump presidency. But the timeline is just too robust. The pending disaster will happen, even if you expose things that would have tanked any other candidate or president, the momentum is just too great.

In Travelers there was a quote about time being like a river, and their changes being like stones thrown in the river. Sure the water has to go around them, but it still end up in about the same place.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 10:19 AM   #494
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
I'm fairly certain Trump's lawyer can go sit in the pews and watch like anyone else.

Even if Trump's lawyer were given a seat at the bench a few seats down from where the witnesses address the committee, they'd sit there quietly unless called on because they would want to keep their credentials.
Not to mention, of course, that Trump's complaining about due process is somewhat at odds with his actions of obstruction that process at every turn.

If Trump wants due process, he can always volunteer to testify at the hearings and be questioned by professional staffers. Of course, he won't do that, because he knows he will be easily trapped into having to lie, and then tell more lies to try to cover the previous lies.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 10:20 AM   #495
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
In less significant, but still hilarious news: Trump was scamming his gullible base again.
Imagine a leopard eating a human face. Forever.
Old 7th November 2019, 10:24 AM   #496
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post

In fiction there are generally two types of time travel stories: fragile timelines and robust timelines. In the fragile timeline stories, like Back to the Future, any little change can have massive impacts on the future. In robust timeline stories, like Travelers, even with concerted efforts to impact the future it is difficult to make substantial changes.

The further we go along in the Trump presidency the more I feel like someone is trying to stop a disaster by preventing the election of Trump, and then exposing every criminal aspect of the Trump presidency. But the timeline is just too robust. The pending disaster will happen, even if you expose things that would have tanked any other candidate or president, the momentum is just too great.

In Travelers there was a quote about time being like a river, and their changes being like stones thrown in the river. Sure the water has to go around them, but it still end up in about the same place.
So is Trump the disaster? Or is it something else? I never saw the Travelers, but that idea was tossed about in the movie Deja Vu starring Denzel Washington.

Me, I believe the answer is both. One small change can have a massive ripple effect on us and the the water molecules around us but eventually the water dumps in the oceans and continues through the water cycle. Eventually man will disappear from the planet as well as all life.
Old 7th November 2019, 10:33 AM   #497
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

In the case of his first election, it was like the flap of a butterfly's wings. Somehow he managed to get through the cracks and that opened up a whole new timeline that's difficult to steer back to the original one.
Old 7th November 2019, 10:39 AM   #498
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Imagine a leopard eating a human face. Forever.
If there is ever a contest for an 8-word horror story, then you really need to enter.
Old 7th November 2019, 11:18 AM   #499
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

Except, Orange Foolius, it ain’t a trial.

Waddle along now, there’s a good lad.
Old 7th November 2019, 11:59 AM   #500
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
In for a penny to de-rail this thread over to Rachel, in for a pound:

There are two different things with Rachel: one is short-term repetition, where she is apparently trying to make sure the listener has heard the subject, her point, or whatever; two is her mid-level narrative structure in which she circles the topic, or starts at A and moves to B, which is the main topic. The first drives me a little crazy, and I tolerate the second, although the second is great when she gives the historical context to her main topic, something no one else does.
My conservative brother, who has stopped saying anything about Trump, still trolls me at least once per visit with conservative talking points. He asked me recently if I liked Maddow. I responded "a little bit goes a long way" without thinking much. The truth is I've only watched her a handful of times. I too go a little nuts listening to people stretch information. But I've found that "a little goes a long way" is a very politic phrase. You're not saying anything bad, but you're not saying anything all that positive either. It's good for sidestepping an argument.

But her style is well-written as a kind of opening statement/closing argument delivery. Often something will strike me as self-evident, but a trial attorney can't think like that. They have to deliver a whole narrative that ties everything together. They have to tell the jury a compelling story. Which is why even a seemingly open-and-shut case may warrant an hour-long closing argument. Because few cases are that simple. I think that's what Maddow does.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 12:00 PM   #501
Cain
Straussian

That's an interesting way of framing it. A lot of history has the distinct feeling of inevitability. After Trump's improbable victory, many supporters insisted they "knew" he would prevail (which also meant that neither Russian meddling nor an FBI inquiry could have possibly altered the outcome).

It's possible the "Resistance" and various investigations have meaningfully altered the course of history and allowed us to avoid some major disaster. It's also unlikely. Out of all the possibly multi-verses, we're probably not an outlier.
Old 7th November 2019, 12:07 PM   #502
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
The wearing of baseball caps when not playing baseball deserves punishment.

Should there be a dispensation for bald men? Asking for a friend.
Old 7th November 2019, 12:23 PM   #503
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

NY Attorney General Tweeted

NY AG James
@NewYorkStateAG
BREAKING: We’ve secured a court order forcing President Trump to pay $2M in damages after admitting to illegally using the Trump Foundation to help him intervene in the 2016 presidential election and further his own political interests.
No one is above the law.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 12:53 PM   #504
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Brilliant.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 01:21 PM   #505
Bob001
Philosopher

Dear Leader is talking to Mark Burnett about "The Apprentice: White House."
Quote:
According to three people with knowledge of the situation and another source close to Trump, Apprentice creator Mark Burnett and the president have sporadically kept in touch, mostly over the phone, since Trump won the election. The pair remain friends, these sources say, and have discussed reviving their creative partnership, pitching each other details on potential TV projects to be filmed after the Trump presidency.

One of the ideas kicked around by Burnett and the president was shooting a new version of the Trump-branded Apprentice, tentatively titled The Apprentice: White House, and to produce it shortly after the president leaves office. This time, however, the TV program would be explicitly politics-themed and take full advantage of Trump’s status as a former president of the United States and a newfound Republican kingmaker.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-...r-next-tv-show
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 01:26 PM   #506
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Dear Leader is talking to Mark Burnett about "The Apprentice: White House."

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-...r-next-tv-show
At first glance this is a horrific prospect. At second glance maybe it suggests he has (to him) an attractive plan for when he's beaten in 2020 or impeached before that?

Was Baldric involved in the making of this plan?
Old 7th November 2019, 01:29 PM   #507
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

NY AG James
@NewYorkStateAG
BREAKING: We’ve secured a court order forcing President Trump to pay $2M in damages after admitting to illegally using the Trump Foundation to help him intervene in the 2016 presidential election and further his own political interests.
No one is above the law.
Good luck collecting that.
Old 7th November 2019, 01:33 PM   #508
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
They could slap a lien on his Trump Tower penthouse.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 01:33 PM   #509
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I don't think the government as a plaintiff has the problems individuals do collecting judgements (or fines).
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 01:35 PM   #510
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
The wearing of baseball caps when not playing baseball deserves punishment.
The wearing of baseball caps backwards deserves even harsher punishment.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 01:37 PM   #511
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
At first glance this is a horrific prospect. At second glance maybe it suggests he has (to him) an attractive plan for when he's beaten in 2020 or impeached before that?

Was Baldric involved in the making of this plan?

I for one wholly support this new plan for Trump's post-presidential career. Get enough MAGA idiots voting on this show for whoever he annoints as the next great politician, and maybe they'll forget to actually vote for them in the real election. "Why we gots ta vote fer him agin? Ain't he alreddy won? Trump said so!"
Old 7th November 2019, 01:39 PM   #512
Stacyhs
Philosopher

NY AG James
@NewYorkStateAG
No one is above the law.
Excellent news. May this only be the beginning...
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 01:42 PM   #513
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Did anyone watch The View this morning with Donnie Jr. and his fiancee as guests?

Donnie did not fare well.
Old 7th November 2019, 01:45 PM   #514
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Not backwards, but a few days ago it was cold enough I had my camo baseball cap perched on top of a stocking cap.

My wife said the only thing missing was some blacked-out teeth!
Old 7th November 2019, 01:51 PM   #515
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Okay, okay, I'll stay off your lawn.

Carroll Shelby
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 01:54 PM   #516
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Not backwards, but a few days ago it was cold enough I had my camo baseball cap perched on top of a stocking cap.

My wife said the only thing missing was some blacked-out teeth!
Stocking cap goes over the baseball cap. Chewing tobacco can replace blacked out teeth.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 02:06 PM   #517
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Okay, okay, I'll stay off your lawn.
Damn straight!
Old 7th November 2019, 02:21 PM   #518
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Not to mention, of course, that Trump's complaining about due process is somewhat at odds with his actions of obstruction that process at every turn.

If Trump wants due process, he can always volunteer to testify at the hearings and be questioned by professional staffers. Of course, he won't do that, because he knows he will be easily trapped into having to lie, and then tell more lies to try to cover the previous lies.
Au contraire When one believes that one is the cleverest man in the world all of history, then one cannot imagine a situation that he cannot talk his way out of.

One of the tell-all books reported a conversation early in the presidency in which Pres Trump adamantly and loudly insisted that he would make a great witness if he were called to testify.

Last edited by Ladewig; 7th November 2019 at 02:22 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 02:25 PM   #519
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I think the guys who wear baseball caps backwards would not enjoy hearing a common theory on what that signals. It has to do with rendering a particular activity easier.
Old 7th November 2019, 03:17 PM   #520
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

NY AG James
@NewYorkStateAG
No one is above the law.
Watch Trump, after stalling it in court, pay this out of his campaign donation funds.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics