ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 19th November 2019, 10:11 AM   #1321
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Ambassadors being donors and cronies isn't new with Trump. The problem with Trump's iteration of this age-old madness is that previous ambassadors of that stripe stayed out of the way of the actual work, which is done by actual State dept employees. Eat fancy dinners, attend cultural events, try not to accidentally cause an international incident. That's all these ambassadors are supposed to do. They are not supposed to be running errands for presidents' personal conspiracy lawyers.
Old 19th November 2019, 10:12 AM   #1322
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
The only thing they did not do was to print and distribute price lists describing how much each ambassadorship, cabinet position, policy position, etc. would cost. Or perhaps they did??
Sounds like a great boon for draining the swamp and transparency, I hope to see this coming out from the Trump campaign for the next election.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 10:13 AM   #1323
Venom
Illuminator

Prez Trump is a 73 year old man. We should expect such health problems.

But then again his doctors say he is quite healthy. Perhaps he just has good genes and can afford to be obese more than the average joe.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 10:19 AM   #1324
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Prez Trump is a 73 year old man. We should expect such health problems.

But then again his doctors say he is quite healthy. Perhaps he just has good genes and can afford to be obese more than the average joe.
On one episode of Bakeoff a baker kept her game pie's contents moist by surrounding the meaty interior with a protective layer of fat. She was then able to get a deep orange color on the outside while not drying out the inside. I think Trump is basically a heap of dead meats surrounded in fat and then overcooked. Thirty minutes in a bain-marie would do wonders to improve him.
Old 19th November 2019, 10:32 AM   #1325
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

So, Trump had another loss in court:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/19/polit...ase/index.html
Judge denies Trump's request to dismiss Summer Zervos defamation case
Trump's legal team had argued that a stay is necessary "given the novel and important Constitutional issues involved"...New York state Supreme Court Justice Jennifer Schecter on Monday, however, rejected the request, allowing for the case to move forward.

Now, granted, its a fairly minor victory... Trump hasn't yet lost the final case, and given the nature of defamation laws and the particulars of the case, Trump may eventually win at the end. But, I do like the idea of seeing Trump put under more and more stress with these sorts of loses. He deserves it.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 10:34 AM   #1326
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

Trump's legal team had argued that a stay is necessary "given the novel and important Constitutional issues involved"...New York state Supreme Court Justice Jennifer Schecter on Monday, however, rejected the request, allowing for the case to move forward.

Now, granted, its a fairly minor victory... Trump hasn't yet lost the final case, and given the nature of defamation laws and the particulars of the case, Trump may eventually win at the end. But, I do like the idea of seeing Trump put under more and more stress with these sorts of loses. He deserves it.
I just saw something on that saying that the ruling cleared the way for Trump to be deposed. I like the sound of that.
Old 19th November 2019, 12:05 PM   #1327
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Quote:
I just saw something on that saying that the ruling cleared the way for Trump to be deposed. I like the sound of that.
Yeah. I wonder if he has the ability to "Plead the 5th" and just not respond. Otherwise, it could result in a few perjury charges (assuming Trump stays true to form).

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 12:13 PM   #1328
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

No tweets at all from Trump today. Just a barrage of retweets from various supporters
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 12:16 PM   #1329
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
No tweets at all from Trump today. Just a barrage of retweets from various supporters
Maybe Trump has decided to become a hard working, dedicated public servant trying to benefit the public good, and finds that twitter is a distraction towards that goal.

Or maybe one of his aides hid his phone.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 19th November 2019, 12:18 PM   #1330
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe Trump has decided to become a hard working, dedicated public servant trying to benefit the public good, and finds that twitter is a distraction towards that goal.

Or maybe one of his aides hid his phone.
Maybe he died at Walter Reed and Steven Miller figures he can take over.
Old 19th November 2019, 12:20 PM   #1331
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
No way, it'll be Ivanka in a fat suit. Like The Clumps, except not as sophisticated.
Old 19th November 2019, 12:21 PM   #1332
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Good one.
Old 19th November 2019, 12:24 PM   #1333
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe Miller is wearing Trump's skin, like Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs. Or the tauntaun that Luke got stuffed into in Empire Strikes Back.

Whether that is an improvement in Miller's appearance is a philosophical question.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 19th November 2019, 12:29 PM   #1334
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe Miller is wearing Trump's skin, like Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs. Or the tauntaun that Luke got stuffed into in Empire Strikes Back.

Whether that is an improvement in Miller's appearance is a philosophical question.
He does look like Lord Voldemort.
Old 19th November 2019, 12:37 PM   #1335
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

The only thing they did not do was to print and distribute price lists describing how much each ambassadorship, cabinet position, policy position, etc. would cost. Or perhaps they did??
Not that I've heard of. The Florida GOP, on the other hand...

Anyways, other news time.

South Korea signs defense agreement with China after Trump's negotiators walk out on US-Korea talks

I can't say that I'm surprised.

Not one Republican has joined the 80 Democrats so far calling for Stephen Miller's resignation

Shows where they stand on white supremacists.

And... what's this?

Quote:
Paul Erickson, the infamous “boyfriend” of Russian agent Maria Butina (who is now going to work for ...www.themoscowtimes.com/... the Russian Parliament), entered his guilty plea on 2 criminal counts yesterday.
I would prefer better substantiation, of course, before treating this as true, but...
Old 19th November 2019, 12:49 PM   #1336
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, and pigs can fly.

Hans
Old 19th November 2019, 01:01 PM   #1337
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Yeah, the Trump inaugural was something special. Their committee raised an insane amount of money and most of the festivities were held at Trump's hotels which charged attendees 4 to 5 times normal costs, sometimes more. They overcharged for everything. It's a great way to funnel money into your own pocket.
Exposure of this belongs in a Democratic commercial along with Trump's conviction of misusing donations to his foundation. And they should start playing it soon, preferably before the impeachment hearing in the Senate.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 19th November 2019 at 01:03 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 01:05 PM   #1338
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

No no, you don't tell anyone what someone else paid and you don't want them to compare notes.
Old 19th November 2019, 01:15 PM   #1339
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

He does look like Lord Voldemort.
I think Miller looks more like Nosferatu.
Old 19th November 2019, 01:21 PM   #1340
Armitage72
Illuminator

Ever see the movie "Dave"? The President is incapacitated by a stroke and replaced by a lookalike, who does a much better job than the corrupt womanizer he's replacing once he starts turning on his equally corrupt handler.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 01:22 PM   #1341
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by @surlyZ on Twitter
Instead of mocking Stephen Miller's spray-on hair, we should be working to stop his vile policies.

Whoa. Just saw the hair. We can multitask.
Source.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 01:27 PM   #1342
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Congress is expected to pass a short term budget that will keep the government running until at least Dec 20, so at least we aren't going to have a shutdown for at least a month and some change.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 01:32 PM   #1343
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Instead of mocking Stephen Miller's spray-on hair, we should be working to stop his vile policies.

Whoa. Just saw the hair. We can multitask.

Source.
I think the hair is actually quite valuable...

Notice how it sort of makes a pattern pointing down. So you can say "Where's the racist", and the hair shows "Here he is!"

(Joke stolen from the Daily Show, I think.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg miller.jpg (5.6 KB, 173 views)

We are Groot - Groot
Old 19th November 2019, 01:34 PM   #1344
plague311
Great minds think...

Devin Nunes has the oddest pauses for dramatic effect. I wonder if he thinks it's doing any good.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 01:41 PM   #1345
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Devin Nunes has the oddest pauses for dramatic effect. I wonder if he thinks it's doing any good.
I wonder if he thinks

it's doing any good.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 01:53 PM   #1346
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Ever see the movie "Dave"? The President is incapacitated by a stroke and replaced by a lookalike, who does a much better job than the corrupt womanizer he's replacing once he starts turning on his equally corrupt handler.
Great movie. Definitely one of Gary Ross's finest
Old 19th November 2019, 01:53 PM   #1347
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The Syria withdrawal is really working great:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/mideast...-says-n1085721

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 02:27 PM   #1348
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Dave is one of my favorite movies ever.

"Hail to the Chief, he's the one we all say hail to
We all say hail because he keeps himself so clean
He's got the power, that's why he's in the shower..."
Old 19th November 2019, 03:18 PM   #1349
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Ambassadors being donors and cronies isn't new with Trump. The problem with Trump's iteration of this age-old madness is that previous ambassadors of that stripe stayed out of the way of the actual work, which is done by actual State dept employees. Eat fancy dinners, attend cultural events, try not to accidentally cause an international incident. That's all these ambassadors are supposed to do. They are not supposed to be running errands for presidents' personal conspiracy lawyers.
This,
Also, usually the "reward" ambassadorships are to countries like the UK, Germany and France, the US has good relationships with and there really is not all that much for the ambassador to do except PR functions.
Trump apparently givine reward ambassadorships to countries where relatationships to the US are pretty dicey and you really need a knowledgable ambassador.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 03:28 PM   #1350
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Dave is one of my favorite movies ever.

"Hail to the Chief, he's the one we all say hail to
We all say hail because he keeps himself so clean
He's got the power, that's why he's in the shower..."
That scene was great. Gary Ross is a genius. Dave, Big, Pleasantville, Seabiscuit
Old 19th November 2019, 03:37 PM   #1351
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Which is not to say they won't, of course. One can see how it might be a thrill. Sondland surely did not sign up for what he's now experiencing, and I think his fondest desire is to get back to his previous simple life as a very wealthy man far from the limelight. Eating his breakfasts in one of his own sumptuous residences, not in a prison-hall with hairy-arsed cons looking over his shoulder and farting.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 03:40 PM   #1352
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

On one episode of Bakeoff a baker kept her game pie's contents moist by surrounding the meaty interior with a protective layer of fat. She was then able to get a deep orange color on the outside while not drying out the inside. I think Trump is basically a heap of dead meats surrounded in fat and then overcooked. Thirty minutes in a bain-marie would do wonders to improve him.
I doubt Mr. Trump has ever heard of a bain-marie, as indeed I never have. Is it some kind of blender?

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 03:43 PM   #1353
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

And once again it's women who are giving him grief. How he must hate that.

Old 19th November 2019, 03:44 PM   #1354
Armitage72
Illuminator

That scene was great. Gary Ross is a genius. Dave, Big, Pleasantville, Seabiscuit

The speech at the end should be issued to every President at the start of their term. Or tattooed somewhere on their body.

"I forgot that I was hired to do a job for you and that it was just a temp job at that. I forgot that I had two hundred and fifty million people who were paying me to make their lives a little better and I didn't live up to my part of the bargain. See, there are certain things you should expect from a President. I ought to care more about you than I do about me... I ought to care more about what's right than I do about what's popular. I ought to be willing to give this whole thing up for something I believe in."
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 03:52 PM   #1355
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Yeah. I wonder if he has the ability to "Plead the 5th" and just not respond. Otherwise, it could result in a few perjury charges (assuming Trump stays true to form).
Ability? No. He hasn’t.

Obviously I am speculating, but I suspect that when President Trump is asked a question, the little voice in his head says, “Man, I got this. I’m going to give an answer so devastating that my questioners are going to say, ‘Sir, we apologize for even asking the question, please excuse us while we go and impeach every sitting Democrat.’”

Of course, I could be wrong.
Old 19th November 2019, 04:52 PM   #1356
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

In real life, President Wilson had a stroke and was replaced by his wife.

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I wonder if he thinks
it's doing any good.
You're talking about a guy who is suing a fake cow.
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
This,
Also, usually the "reward" ambassadorships are to countries like the UK, Germany and France, the US has good relationships with and there really is not all that much for the ambassador to do except PR functions.
Trump apparently givine reward ambassadorships to countries where relatationships to the US are pretty dicey and you really need a knowledgable ambassador.
Sondland's ambassadorship is to the EU, of which Ukraine is not a member. He paid a million bucks for a cushy "job" in Brussels, with free travel all over Europe. His mistake was not expecting to be dragged into the TrumpSwamp.
Old 19th November 2019, 04:54 PM   #1357
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
I doubt Mr. Trump has ever heard of a bain-marie, as indeed I never have. Is it some kind of blender?
It sounds French, and therefore Communist or worse, Obamunist. He'd probably have some Russian hookers pee in it.
Old 19th November 2019, 06:16 PM   #1358
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

It sounds French, and therefore Communist or worse, Obamunist. He'd probably have some Russian hookers pee in it.
I have to wonder if Paul and Prue would "get the flavor" of that in the bake. Prue would dislike it, but Paul would be fine with it so long as the layers of pastry showed lamination.
Old 19th November 2019, 06:22 PM   #1359
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Sondland's ambassadorship is to the EU, of which Ukraine is not a member. He paid a million bucks for a cushy "job" in Brussels, with free travel all over Europe. His mistake was not expecting to be dragged into the TrumpSwamp.
Trump's apparent impunity up to now (courtesy of corrupt Republicans) probably means he gave no thought to possible consequences if the scheme came out - or, indeed, how likely it was that it would come out. I imagine possible consequences (and the avoidance of them) are very much on his mind now, with a perjury charge and conviction front and centre.

Old 19th November 2019, 06:37 PM   #1360
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

I beg to differ on that last one. Very much miscast (and the invention of the Bill Macy sportswriter was awful). Laura Hillenbrand’s book was a Secretariat-winning-distance better telling of the story.

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 19th November 2019 at 06:38 PM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics