ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 4th November 2019, 03:36 PM   #201
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
To be blunt, I think it's pretty damn naive to even entertain the idea that next Democrat President isn't going to be at least targeted heavily for impeachment.
Mitigated by the partial correlation between winning the presidency and winning the House.

ETA: Oops, looks like the correlation goes better in the opposite direction, at least recently. So much for any glimmer of hope.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell

Last edited by Paul2; 4th November 2019 at 03:39 PM.
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 03:40 PM   #202
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
There are articles and books that say that Newt Gingrich was the tipping point. He’s the guy who suggested that name calling (e.g. “the loony left”) was an appropriate path. He suggested that Democrats and Republicans stop fraternizing on the weekends. He convinced legislators to look at politics as a zero-sum conflict.

ETA: Rush Limbaugh and his ilk helped a great deal.

MORE ETA: And once the internet ushered in the Misinformation Age (2009? 2010?) it was impossible to turn back.

The Great Experiment is over. It failed.
I use to be heavily involved in politics. I was a member of the Young Democrats for a decade. I worked for the Washington State Democratic Party. And yet I often attended Republican party events including their yearly barbecue. I had lots of Republican friends. And that all changed around 1990 but it wasn't an overnight thing.
Old 4th November 2019, 03:49 PM   #203
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
OK, if democracy is de facto dead, what is our next step and what do we replace it with?
I got a feeling that H.G. Wells idea of a small group of scientist taking over the world and producing Utopia will be popular.
I say we give feudalism another shot.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 04:03 PM   #204
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Missouri Official Admits to Tracking Women’s Periods

Quote:
During the second day of a weeklong state hearing that will decide whether Missouri’s last abortion clinic will be shut down, the state’s heath director, Dr. Randall Williams, admitted to keeping a spreadsheet that tracked the menstrual periods of its patients.
So far so good. It is the kind of thing a medical professional directly concerned with reproductive health should be doing for their patients.

According to the Kansas City Star, Williams said he had requested that the state’s primary investigator identify patients who had undergone “failed abortions” at the St. Louis Planned Parenthood facility.
But then we suddenly end up on Planet WTF out of side field. What is this bucket of crap? A failed abortion is a pregnancy, last I checked. Is it possible to test for a failed abortion? Sure, it's right there on the register of births. WTF are they even demanding here?

I'm not sure what to say beyond... This is a red flag.
It's a red herring. While my ex-wife bore two children with me, there was a first which sadly ended in spontaneous miscarriage. Sure, it was planned and all, and sure it was a bit tragic at the time, we named the poor sorry dude, it was a real person to us, but somehow it counts as an abortion? What crackpot came up with that crap?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 04:24 PM   #205
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Another legal situation for Trump to deal with:

From: https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/carrol...rump-1.5347019
E. Jean Carroll, a longtime Elle magazine advice columnist, said in a complaint filed in a New York state court in Manhattan that Trump lied about attacking her, and "smeared her integrity, honesty, and dignity"...

Sadly I don't really think this is going to go very far, due to the standards of libel/slander. Still, anything that causes Trump any sort of problems is welcome in my books.

However, there is this: From the same Article:

After the account was published, Trump made statements that he did not rape Carroll and had never met her....An undated photo was unearthed at the time that showed Trump, along with his former wife Ivana, speaking to Carroll and Caroll's then-husband, John Johnson, at an event.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 04:43 PM   #206
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Well... If the Republicans keep putting forward guys that brazenly break the law when they get someone in office and shamelessly impeach Democrats as a dirty political ploy to shield their guys when their guys commit crimes like crazy, it's not quite too far-fetched. "As a matter of course," though, isn't quite properly descriptive of that.

And it's just as evil and stupid as it was then.

In other things of some interest...

Yovanovitch / McKinley testimony transcripts released by House Intel. - Volker / Sondland tomorrow

Includes easy links to them and pokes at a few things in them.
The transcripts trickling out is the gift that keeps on giving.

Federal appeals court rejects Trump's immunity claim, orders tax returns turned over to grand jury

Things are bad when I'm actually letting out a sigh of relief at Judges actually doing their job. Trump will be appealing the unanimous decision against him, of course, by the sound of it, which means that this still isn't over, though.
All SCOTUS has to do is decline to take the case, it is a state matter.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 4th November 2019 at 04:46 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 04:56 PM   #207
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The transcripts trickling out is the gift that keeps on giving.

From your post to the Flying Spaghetti Monster's ear.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 05:34 PM   #208
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

OK, if democracy is de facto dead, what is our next step and what do we replace it with?
I got a feeling that H.G. Wells idea of a small group of scientist taking over the world and producing Utopia will be popular.
Yeah, I typed that when I was in a somewhat foul mood.

I suppose getting rid of winner-take-all electoral votes would be a good start.

Getting rid of the electoral college might be a good idea. What percentage of the population could correctly name another country or institution that uses anything similar? It really is an outdated kludge that allows a duopoly to run the country.

ETA teaching critical thinking in schools.

Or at least teaching kids that if you can’t correctly describe your opponent’s position, then you really don’t have much right to debate.

Last edited by Ladewig; 4th November 2019 at 05:36 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 05:36 PM   #209
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
From your post to the Flying Spaghetti Monster's ear.
It's not strictly a state matter once executive privilege is invoked, I'd think.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 06:05 PM   #210
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

And a book tour then becomes an option.
In the face of the usual right-wing death threats and harassment, on top of the **** that Trump would inevitably be sending in their direction.

The Great Experiment is over. It failed.
Not yet, much as it will be if we all take that attitude. There are serious challenges that we need to face and overcome for it to continue much longer, but it's not over yet. For a point of hope - as long as younger people grow up with better skill in discerning disinformation from valid information and the people who are more susceptible to being fooled are dying off, things will settle down naturally anyways, even without intervention.

Which doesn't mean that they actually will, especially with Kavanaugh drooling at the chance to declare Trump to be the Overlord.

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
It's not strictly a state matter once executive privilege is invoked, I'd think.
Meh. The Trump Administration's version of executive privilege is utter nonsense, though.

Anyways, other stuff time.

As Giuliani hunts for 'CrowdStrike' conspiracies, House Republicans .... keep hiring them?

That's an interesting twist. Pushing the claim that the people that you're hiring are the people who you claim hacked the DNC, in direct opposition to what the US intelligence agencies are saying with quite a bit of evidence?

That... might have broken my mind a little at the audacity and WTF-factor.

Moving on, Mueller's Investigation Records are out, by the look of it.

FBI arrested a white supremacist who was plotting to bomb a historic Colorado synagogue

Thank you, FBI, for preventing yet another white supremacist terrorist attack.
Old 4th November 2019, 06:05 PM   #211
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Yeah, I typed that when I was in a somewhat foul mood.

I suppose getting rid of winner-take-all electoral votes would be a good start.

Getting rid of the electoral college might be a good idea. What percentage of the population could correctly name another country or institution that uses anything similar? It really is an outdated kludge that allows a duopoly to run the country.

ETA teaching critical thinking in schools.

Or at least teaching kids that if you can’t correctly describe your opponent’s position, then you really don’t have much right to debate.
How about a consistent and relatively foolproof election methodology across the whole nation. Policed to ensure votes are not lost, misplaced, miscounted, or otherwise fouled up. Wherever you live, you will know that your vote will count and will be counted the same way.

And how about making voter registration consistent and simple as well. One method to register, nation-wide, available from "outlets" readily accessible to every citizen.

And lastly, official punishment for anybody trying to prevent citizens from voting, or in any way disenfranchising them.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 06:14 PM   #212
Armitage72
Illuminator

I remember AM radio raving lunatic Michael Savage playing a clip of Bill Maher complaining about the lack of scientific education among legislators and how it impacted their lawmaking. Savage's response was:

"You want scientists running the country? Hitler was a scientist. Is that the sort of person you want running the country?"

Leaving aside the Godwin, I'm not sure what reality he lives in in which Hitler was a scientist. In any case, "Science bad. Scientists evil." has become too widespread among parts of the population for a technocracy to be accepted.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 06:14 PM   #213
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

All precedence says it is.

Quote:
The Supreme Court has never ruled that sitting presidents are beyond the reach of criminal investigations, though. In 1974, the court ruled that President Richard Nixon was required to comply with a subpoena directing him to turn over tape recordings of conversations in the White House. In 1975, President Gerald Ford complied with an order to give a deposition in the trial of a woman charged with trying to shoot him. In 1996, President Bill Clinton gave videotaped testimony in two criminal trials.

....A further problem for Trump is that Vance is not seeking any material involving official presidential duties, even though some of it overlaps with the time he's been in office. For that reason, the president is not making any claim that the material sought by the grand jury is protected by executive privilege.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1076186
Old 4th November 2019, 06:18 PM   #214
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I remember AM radio raving lunatic Michael Savage playing a clip of Bill Maher complaining about the lack of scientific education among legislators and how it impacted their lawmaking. Savage's response was:

"You want scientists running the country? Hitler was a scientist. Is that the sort of person you want running the country?"

Leaving aside the Godwin, I'm not sure what reality he lives in in which Hitler was a scientist. In any case, "Science bad. Scientists evil." has become too widespread among parts of the population for a technocracy to be accepted.

Did Savage actually refer to Hitler as a "scientist"? On what planet was Hitler a scientist? Hitler was a failed artist with a gift for "bull ****." Just like Trump.
Old 4th November 2019, 06:26 PM   #215
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

I think if they try to exert Executive Privilege over tax returns from before he was president, the case will be laughed out of court.

As always, the rub is that these things take time.
Old 4th November 2019, 06:34 PM   #216
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Did Savage actually refer to Hitler as a "scientist"? On what planet was Hitler a scientist? Hitler was a failed artist with a gift for "bull ****." Just like Trump.

It was a while ago, some time in 2008 I think, but that's something that sticks in your memory. His exact words were "Hitler was a scientist."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 06:37 PM   #217
Venom
Illuminator

Savage is just comically misinformed and stupid.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 06:41 PM   #218
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

All of which strongly says that if the SCOTUS sides with Trump you know the SCOTUS is truly FUBAR.
Old 4th November 2019, 06:43 PM   #219
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I think if they try to exert Executive Privilege over tax returns from before he was president, the case will be laughed out of court.

As always, the rub is that these things take time.
It takes 4 justices to accept a case on appeal. And yes, they can delay almost for forever.
Old 4th November 2019, 06:45 PM   #220
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Any of you read the transcripts of the Michael McKinley and Maria Yovanovitch testimonies yet? I mean, Holy Snappin' Duckshit!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 06:45 PM   #221
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

All of which strongly says that if the SCOTUS sides with Trump you know the SCOTUS is truly FUBAR.
Exactly. Hell, even DOJ memos don't support Trump's lawyer's argument.
Old 4th November 2019, 07:16 PM   #222
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Meh. The Trump Administration's version of executive privilege is utter nonsense, though.
I'm not saying it isn't nonsense. The Supreme Court could refuse to hear it because the Appeals Court is obviously right (I doubt they will), but not because it's strictly a state matter, far as I can tell.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 07:17 PM   #223
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

“Read the Transcript,” Trump Berates Reporter Who Is Quoting Transcript

Not The Onion.
Old 4th November 2019, 07:21 PM   #224
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I wasn't commenting on the merits. Merely pointing out that the administration's arguments put it in ther jurisdiction of ther federal courts.

Previous federal rulings may make out an easy case, one which ther Supreme Court might refuse to hear and let the appellate ruling stand, though due to the importance of the case, I doubt it.
Old 4th November 2019, 07:22 PM   #225
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
This just underscores how his supporters are engaging in extreme willful blindness. They remind me of the 3 "no evil" monkeys, only for them it's "See no lies, hear no lies, he speaks no lies".
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 07:27 PM   #226
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

This just underscores how his supporters are engaging in extreme willful blindness. They remind me of the 3 "no evil" monkeys, only for them it's "See no lies, hear no lies, he speaks no lies".
It's the Life Of Brian president. If you completely ignore the fact he is a criminal, wilful, ignorant, juvenile, lying, mentally-deficient, narcissistic bully and wannabe Mafia don with insane delusions of grandeur and a rap-sheet two miles long and growing...he's a great president!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 07:34 PM   #227
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Savage is just comically misinformed and stupid.
As is Bill Maher, who is the latest high-profile moron to prop up anti-vax ********.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 07:38 PM   #228
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
As is Bill Maher, who is the latest high-profile moron to prop up anti-vax ********.
Wait, Maher anti-vax? Where?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 07:50 PM   #229
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Wait, Maher anti-vax? Where?

Babbylonian
is having a knee-jerk reaction to this...

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/bill-...kAKZsyd4LXAcWC

..and if you read through this, it is very difficult to come to the conclusion that Maher is an anti-vaxxer.

For a start, he acknowledges that vaccines do work, so that eliminates him from the antivax nut-jobs right there.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 08:31 PM   #230
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not saying it isn't nonsense. The Supreme Court could refuse to hear it because the Appeals Court is obviously right (I doubt they will), but not because it's strictly a state matter, far as I can tell.
Trump's lawyer didn't claim "Executive Privilege" but instead made an argument that no previous President has ever asserted which is "absolute Presidential immunity". Executive privilege covers internal White House communications and not all of them as was clear in US v Nixon.

It is hard to imagine what legal reasoning that SCOTUS could use to rule in Trump's favor. This was a NY State Grand Jury performing a criminal investigation on activities that predated Trump's election. And the subpoena required no action of President Trump since they were sent to third parties.
Old 4th November 2019, 08:33 PM   #231
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

Babbylonian
is having a knee-jerk reaction to this...

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/bill-...kAKZsyd4LXAcWC

..and if you read through this, it is very difficult to come to the conclusion that Maher is an anti-vaxxer.

For a start, he acknowledges that vaccines do work, so that eliminates him from the antivax nut-jobs right there.
No it isn't.

Quote:
Although Maher acknowledged that vaccines work, he told his audience, which appeared to largely support what he was saying, that the idea that they cause autism still merits debate.
Unless this is a decade old piece, Maher is still clinging to disproven science.

All of this is disproven bull ****:
Quote:
“You know, to call you this crazy person,” he told Gordon, “really, what you’re just saying is [a] slower [vaccination timetable], maybe less numbers, and also take into account individuals. People are different. Family history, stuff like that. I don’t think this is crazy.”
It's the faux science veneer of someone who wants to give anti-vaxxers a legit position instead of actually looking at the science.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 4th November 2019 at 08:39 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 08:38 PM   #232
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

No it isn't.

Unless this is a decade old piece, Maher is still clinging to disproven science.

All of this is disproven bull ****:
Exactly. I was careful with my words, too. I didn't call him an anti-vaxxer. I said he propped it up, and he absolutely did.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 08:59 PM   #233
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
CBS News reports, the whistleblower is reaching out to the GOP. Is this a planned end run around Donnie or something else?
I don't think the GOP wants to question him. He's more valuable as an unknown they can constantly yell about in order to distract from the real issue.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 09:01 PM   #234
SezMe
post-pre-born

No, he doesn't look genuinely black.....
Originally Posted by EvilBiker View Post
Well, considering these are all kids of the guy who initially posted the pic, I'd say he was white (aside from the makeup discrepancies).
Yeah, I was wrong. Isn't the first time and won't be the last.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 09:03 PM   #235
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
I don't think the GOP wants to question him. He's more valuable as an unknown they can constantly yell about in order to distract from the real issue.
Exactly.
Old 4th November 2019, 09:05 PM   #236
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

...House Republicans must have nothing to do with Shifty’s rendition of those interviews....
Dump didn't write that tweet.
Old 4th November 2019, 09:08 PM   #237
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Retweeted

Mark R. Levin
@marklevinshow
Elizabeth Warren would destroy jobs and the middle class. If elected she must be impeached.
That's rich in light of the fact that GOPers are complaining that the Dems were talking about impeachment the day after the election. Levin's talking impeachment more that a YEAR before the election.
Old 4th November 2019, 09:10 PM   #238
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Well, he was somewhat involved with chemistry.

What?

"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 09:22 PM   #239
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Anyway, where do you think that this deepening divide between the two parties/sides began? The civil rights movement? Nixon? Reagan? Clinton? Bush?

It's obviously been always there, even before confederation, but it's gotten worse.
Linked to the rise of the internet. Before that, the nutbars had their newsletter and a few followers and so their ideas didn't spread much. Now any crazy has a world wide platform and an associated megaphone (Fox) to amplify even the far-out ideas.

Obviously that's not the whole story but it's also not to be ignored.
Old 4th November 2019, 09:33 PM   #240
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

It takes 4 justices to accept a case on appeal. And yes, they can delay almost for forever.
I was half wrong about this. To begin with, Trump's appeal will go first to a single Supreme Court justice seeking a stay. That appeal for a stay will go to RBG. If she denies the stay, Trump's lawyers would have to appeal to the entire court which would require 4 Justices to agree.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics