ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags US-Israel relations

Old 25th April 2010, 07:44 AM   #121
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Originally Posted by Uncle Tupelo totally copying Creedence Clearwater Revival
Last night I saw a fire burnin'
On the palace lawn
O'er the land, the humble subjects watched
In mixed emotion

Who is burnin'? Who is burnin'?
Effigy
Effigy

Last night I saw the fire spreadin'
To the palace door
Silent majority weren't keepin'
Quiet anymore

Effigy
Effigy

Last night I saw the fire spreadin'
To the country side
In the mornin' few were left
To watch the ashes die

Effigy
Effigy

Why? Why? Why?
Effigy
Old 25th April 2010, 09:34 AM   #122
Thunder
Banned

Ok fine. you guys win.

let the Israelis burn effigys of our President. Let them devote an entire day to burning effigys of Obama. Let them name all of their monkeys at the zoo "Barack".

let them call President Obama "President Kufi". let them call all black cats "Barry Soetero"

and we in the USA will react in kind. freedom of speech followed by the freedom of reaction.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2010, 09:43 AM   #123
mortimer
NWO Janitor

Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
Ok fine. you guys win.

let the Israelis burn effigys of our President. Let them devote an entire day to burning effigys of Obama. Let them name all of their monkeys at the zoo "Barack".

let them call President Obama "President Kufi". let them call all black cats "Barry Soetero"

and we in the USA will react in kind. freedom of speech followed by the freedom of reaction.
Thanks to Freedom of Speech, the freedom you wish to deny to others, you are welcome to say anything you want in response. Irony can be pretty ironic, sometimes.
Old 25th April 2010, 09:58 AM   #124
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
It's actually my quote, not McHrozni's.

The point about parky/Thunder's lack of reading comprehension stands though.
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Irony can be pretty ironic, sometimes.
LOL.

Parky, do you yet understand that you asked a question, got an answer, and went off on a tangent assuming that the answer was the opposite of what the answer really was? Do I have to post red text again?

Here are your options, as I see them:
  • Oops, my bad
  • No carlitos, you are wrong and here's why
  • Please click the ignore button, I won't engage honestly
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2010, 10:23 AM   #125
Thunder
Banned

Thanks to Freedom of Speech, the freedom you wish to deny to others, you are welcome to say anything you want in response. Irony can be pretty ironic, sometimes.
fine. burn our President in effigy. but we have the right to respond in kind.

Freedom of speech does not include freedom from being hated and criticized and penalized for what you say. its a two way street buddy.

so like I said, burn our President in effigy. have a national holiday for it. but don't expect me to like it or reward it.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2010, 10:40 AM   #126
mortimer
NWO Janitor

fine. burn our President in effigy. but we have the right to respond in kind.

Freedom of speech does not include freedom from being hated and criticized and penalized for what you say. its a two way street buddy.
Of course you can hate Israel all you want. Criticize all you want. And I'm not your buddy, pal.

so like I said, burn our President in effigy. have a national holiday for it. but don't expect me to like it or reward it.
Nobody was asking you to.
Old 25th April 2010, 11:08 AM   #127
Thunder
Banned

Nobody was asking you to.
ah...but when the American TV networks broadcast video of Israelis burning effigys of Obama, and our people start questioning the wisdom of generously giving $2 billion a year to a nation where our leaders are highly disrespected with no consequences, the accusations of "anti-Semitism" will be loud and long.

so go ahead, burn Obama in effigy. Burn all of our leaders in effigy. But don't cry to us when we respond. and don't cry if someone decides to burn your **** ing flag on the Washington Mall in response. and don't cry if someone decides to burn Netanyahu, Perez, Barak, and all your other leaders in effigy on the Capital steps in response.

just brush it away...as "free speech". im sure you will.

Last edited by Thunder; 25th April 2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 25th April 2010, 11:24 AM   #128
Tailgater
Illuminator

ah...but when the American TV networks broadcast video of Israelis burning effigys of Obama, and our people start questioning the wisdom of generously giving $2 billion a year to a nation where our leaders are highly disrespected with no consequences, the accusations of "anti-Semitism" will be loud and long.

so go ahead, burn Obama in effigy. Burn all of our leaders in effigy. But don't cry to us when we respond. and don't cry if someone decides to burn your **** ing flag on the Washington Mall in response. and don't cry if someone decides to burn Netanyahu, Perez, Barak, and all your other leaders in effigy on the Capital steps in response.

I think you got it.
Tailgater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2010, 11:25 AM   #129
carlitos
"más divertido"

So it's option #3 then?
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2010, 11:26 AM   #130
Thunder
Banned

I wonder how folks here would feel about Neo-Nazis marching through a Jewish neighborhood, while burning Israeli flags, and burning American Jewish leaders in effigy.

Oh, I am sure they would totally support it. Its just free speech, after all.
Old 25th April 2010, 11:31 AM   #131
KingMerv00
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder how folks here would feel about Neo-Nazis marching through a Jewish neighborhood, while burning Israeli flags, and burning American Jewish leaders in effigy.

Support? No. Allow? Yes.
KingMerv00 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2010, 11:33 AM   #132
carlitos
"más divertido"

Quote:
We had that in Skokie, Illinois. Didn't you see the Blues Brothers?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Are you going to answer the question in this post or not? You ranted and name-called based on your mis-reading of the answer to your question. I mean, I'm not looking for a huge mea culpa, just mere acknowledgement of your error. "My bad" or some such. Are you so dishonest that you can't even do this?
Old 25th April 2010, 11:45 AM   #133
Skeptic
Banned

Clearly the point of this thread is to try and create some sort of moral equivalency between Israel and Hamas vis-a-vis their view of the USA.

So, let's see: looking for the most anti-American action one could find in this attempt to smear Israel -- which, incidentally, is probably the most pro-American country in the world (apart from the USA itself), whatever Israelies think about Obama -- and this is what one finds? A few folks thinking of burning Obama in effigy as political protest?

I mean, that's it?

Not exactly the same as, say, the PLO and Hamas killing American citizens whose only crime was being Jewish in terrorist attacks, Hizbullah killing hundreds of Marines, Al Quaeda's 9/11 attacks, etc., now is it?

This thread is the opposite of "damnation by faint praise" -- it's "unintentional praise by faint blame". When you look for the most anti-American action you could find and this is the best (or the worst) you can do, it merely proves how pro-USA Israel is.
Skeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2010, 11:50 AM   #134
Skeptic
Banned

Something else: when Bush was burned in effigy and Israeli flags burned all over the place, that was the USA and Israel's fault, because they made the burners angry. Suddenly, when a few clowns are planning to burn Obama in effigy, Obama is, naturally, blameless -- it's their extremism and hatred of the USA and of Obama that causes them to do it.

Hallelujah! Finally, at long last, we have found somebody in the middle east who is a real extremist, who does nasty things because he's a nasty person, and not because he's a poor innocent pushed to blowing up buses or beheading hostages because of "the occupation" or "the invasion of Iraq" or whatever.

Naturally, it's the Jew.

Last edited by Skeptic; 25th April 2010 at 11:55 AM.
Skeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2010, 12:01 PM   #135
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
We had that in Skokie, Illinois. Didn't you see the Blues Brothers?

I AGREE

Are you going to answer the question in this post or not? You ranted and name-called based on your mis-reading of the answer to your question. I mean, I'm not looking for a huge mea culpa, just mere acknowledgement of your error. "My bad" or some such. Are you so dishonest that you can't even do this?
Yepper.
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2010, 12:17 PM   #136
Tailgater
Illuminator

http://www.esquilax.com/flag/history.html

Or what if jews do it?

http://www.nkusa.org/activities/Recent/flag031803.cfm

A good shot at a Bush burning a ways down.

http://zombietime.com/hall_of_shame/

I think this last one should be posted in the new threads about crazy right wing CTers and teabaggers just to remind everyone both wings are freakin nuts.

Eta: It's all disturbing, but it should be legal.

Last edited by Tailgater; 25th April 2010 at 12:32 PM.
Tailgater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2010, 12:50 PM   #137
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Tailgater View Post
It's all disturbing, but it should be legal.
Indeed.

(totally not as cool as Uncle Tupelo, but I have a soft spot for this album)
I AGREE
Old 25th April 2010, 12:52 PM   #138
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Ok fine. you guys win.

Old 25th April 2010, 12:53 PM   #139
carlitos
"más divertido"

"Freedom of Reaction"
I AGREE
Old 25th April 2010, 01:10 PM   #140
KingMerv00
Penultimate Amazing

I usually think the laughing dog is overused.

Not this time.
KingMerv00 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2010, 01:18 PM   #141
KingMerv00
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
"Freedom of Reaction"
I AGREE
That wasn't nearly as epic as it is made out to be. They weren't setting a baby on fire.
Old 25th April 2010, 02:11 PM   #142
Thunder
Banned

I can't wait for the fires to start. When is Lag B'Omer anyways?
Old 25th April 2010, 02:18 PM   #143
mortimer
NWO Janitor

I can't wait for the fires to start. When is Lag B'Omer anyways?
I suppose you want this celebration banned as well. Starting a fire in public, and all. You are against that, right?
Old 25th April 2010, 02:21 PM   #144
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
Yepper.
Guess so. It's disappointing.
Old 25th April 2010, 02:25 PM   #145
Thunder
Banned

I suppose you want this celebration banned as well. Starting a fire in public, and all. You are against that, right?
um...if Israelis are silly enough to have a Holiday where they burn pictures of the enemies of the Jews, that is their issue. I find it a bit backwards and barbaric, personally.
Old 25th April 2010, 02:39 PM   #146
mortimer
NWO Janitor

um...if Israelis are silly enough to have a Holiday where they burn pictures of the enemies of the Jews, that is their issue. I find it a bit backwards and barbaric, personally.
Is that what Lag BaOmer is all about? I'm not Israeli, nor Jew, but what I've read about it, that's not at all what it's about.

So you are abandoning your claim that burning Obama in effigy by Israelis in Israel should be stopped by the US because burning things in public is illegal? Or are you willing to allow the burning images of some things in public but not images of other things? What makes burning one image "their issue", while burning another image "illegal"?
Old 25th April 2010, 03:40 PM   #147
Thunder
Banned

So you are abandoning your claim that burning Obama in effigy by Israelis in Israel should be stopped by the US because burning things in public is illegal?
The USA should not stop anything that Israel does. We are not its mommy.

But we have the right to react to Israeli actions.
Old 25th April 2010, 07:39 PM   #148
mortimer
NWO Janitor

The USA should not stop anything that Israel does. We are not its mommy.

But we have the right to react to Israeli actions.
What do you think the US ought to do because of this?
Old 25th April 2010, 08:21 PM   #149
Thunder
Banned

What do you think the US ought to do because of this?
ive already said in previous posts.
Old 25th April 2010, 08:37 PM   #150
Skeptic
Banned

Quote:
Is that what Lag BaOmer is all about? I'm not Israeli, nor Jew, but what I've read about it, that's not at all what it's about.
Lag BaOmer commemorates the end of plague that killed many of Rabbi Akiva's students 2000 years ago. Lighting bonfires to do so is a custom that goes back, I am pretty sure, hundreds of years.

Since the establishment of the state of Israel, and earlier, at least during the time of the pre-state yishuv [Jewish community in pre-state Palestine], it has been a tradition to burn in effigy on that day whatever political leader the makers of the bonfire dislike. It is, for this reason, probably hard to find any significant political leader, foreign or domestic, which WASN'T burned in effigy by SOMEONE on Lag Ba'Omer due to unpopular policies in the eyes of the bonfire maker -- but that hardly means, of course, the state of Israel hates everybody in the world and wants all other country leaders dead.

The original OP is the equivalent of someone who has no idea of British history or culture looking at the celebrations on Guy Fawkes' day and screaming that he's just seen something terrible happen in Britain, that it is a barbaric nation on the point of bringing back burning at the stake into law, that Catholics are at the point of being massacred there, and that the USA must immediately use its right to react to this barbarism by stopping all cooperation with this evil country.

Can't say I'm surprised. This sort of bone-headed misunderstanding is bound to happen, and frequently, when one is obsessed with hatred of a country and constantly posts "horrible truths" about it, yet -- never have been there and not knowing anything about it -- not having the least idea what the country is actually like.

Last edited by Skeptic; 25th April 2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 25th April 2010, 09:52 PM   #151
Newtons Bit
Penultimate Amazing

The op says that "extremists" are doing it. That implies that it is a tiny minority. Why even care that there are extremists who say stupid things?
"Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to understand forces we cannot really assess in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our own ignorance." James E Amrhein
Newtons Bit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2010, 10:44 PM   #152
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

I AGREE

Uncle Tupelo totally copying Creedence Clearwater Revival
Where's Tupelo?
Old 25th April 2010, 10:57 PM   #153
KingMerv00
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Newtons Bit View Post
The op says that "extremists" are doing it. That implies that it is a tiny minority. Why even care that there are extremists who say stupid things?
Don't you even care that monkeys in other countries will named after our president? My God! Think of the chaos!

Last edited by KingMerv00; 25th April 2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 26th April 2010, 03:54 AM   #154
Skeptic
Banned

Quote:
But don't cry to us when we respond. and don't cry if someone decides to burn your **** ing flag on the Washington Mall
It's a good thing that parky is a zionist, so he is only calling for burning of the "[rule 10] Israeli flag" on the Washington Mall in "retaliation".

One shudders to think what he would call on the US to do in retaliation for the dirty Jews extremists burning Obama in effigy if he were an anti-zionist.

As Freud said when he heard his books were being burned in Germany, "What progress! 500 years ago they would have burned me!".

As it turned out, he was wrong.
Old 26th April 2010, 03:58 AM   #155
Skeptic
Banned

As a rule, when one's raison d'etre is to be a constant witness to how awful and disgusting country X is, it helps to actually know something about country X.

Otherwise, one will quickly make a fool of oneself.

Once one does do that, it will not help to turn the outrage scale up to 11 and scream and holler in an attempt to cover up one's screwup and ignorance of the country one hates so much.

It just makes one look like an outraged fool, which is another name for a lunatic.

Last edited by Skeptic; 26th April 2010 at 04:03 AM.
Old 26th April 2010, 04:59 AM   #156
mortimer
NWO Janitor

ive already said in previous posts.
So you're in favor of the US strongarming other countries into limiting their citizens' free-speech rights. Nice.
Old 26th April 2010, 07:37 AM   #157
Thunder
Banned

So you're in favor of the US strongarming other countries into limiting their citizens' free-speech rights. Nice.
yes. the ADL and I have a lot in common.
Old 26th April 2010, 09:47 AM   #158
KingMerv00
Penultimate Amazing

yes. the ADL and I have a lot in common.
Thread goes this way -------------->

<-------------Thunder goes that way
Old 26th April 2010, 11:35 AM   #159
Bill Thompson
Banned

I was told that the right of Isrealis to burn Obama in effigy has nothing to do with them being right to do it.
Bill Thompson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2010, 01:07 PM   #160
Thunder
Banned

if these extremist Israelis burn Obama in effigy, I will respond by posting pictures of Neo-Nazis burning Elie Weisel in effigy.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics