ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags hypocrisy charges , Ohio politics , sex scandals , Wes Goodman

Old 18th November 2017, 12:36 AM   #1
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Anti-LGBT state rep resigns after getting caught having gay sex...in his office

Ohio state rep Wes Goodman has stepped down - officially for undefined "inappropriate behavior in his office". Story here.

Quote:
House Speaker Cliff Rosenberger said he was alerted Tuesday afternoon to Goodman's involvement in "inappropriate behavior related to his state office." Rosenberger met with Goodman later Tuesday, and the representative confirmed the allegations.

"It became clear that his resignation was the most appropriate course of action for him, his family, the constituents of the 87th House District and this institution," Rosenberger said in a statement Wednesday.

In an interview later Wednesday morning, Rosenberger told cleveland.com there had been an inappropriate interaction in Goodman's Riffe Center office between the married lawmaker and a person not employed by the legislature. Rosenberger wouldn't provide any more details.

Rosenberger spokesman Brad Miller said the interaction was consensual and happened several months ago. Miller said it did not constitute sexual harassment and no complaints of harassment by Goodman were made during his time in the House.
According to the Columbus Dispatch, which it would be pointless to link because the site is paywalled, the "person" Goodman had his consensual interaction with was a dude. Wes Goodman is staunchly anti-LGBT, and a highly outspoken advocate of Christian conservative family values. His wife is an assistant director of a prominent anti-abortion group.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 01:23 AM   #2
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Surprised? Nyet! Just another in a long string of hypocritical 'Christian values' loud-mouthed shnooks. It really makes you wonder if many of the loudest bible thumpers are rump humpers.

I'm completely supportive of all sexual orientations. Hypocrisy I utterly despise.
Lurch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 01:53 AM   #3
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Exactly. I don't care that he had sex in his office (with a consenting legal adult) but blatant hypocrisy really pisses me off.
Old 18th November 2017, 02:16 AM   #4
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
His wife is an assistant director of a prominent anti-abortion group.
Maybe he had his wife's permission. More gay sex -> less need for abortions.
Old 18th November 2017, 02:23 AM   #5
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Exactly. I don't care that he had sex in his office (with a consenting legal adult) but blatant hypocrisy really pisses me off.
As long as he wasn't on the clock so to speak and he didn't cause additional work for the cleaners who cares?
Old 18th November 2017, 02:35 AM   #6
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Beware the crusader. It's funny how often such people turn out to be having public battles with private demons.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 02:46 AM   #7
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Beware the crusader. It's funny how often such people turn out to be having public battles with private demons.
What's the saying? When you point with your finger 3 fingers are pointing back at you.
Old 18th November 2017, 04:36 AM   #8
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
As long as he wasn't on the clock so to speak and he didn't cause additional work for the cleaners who cares?
Please don't use the terms "long" and "on the clock" in a thread about illicit gay sex. My eyes aren't what they once were and for a moment I thought your post rather more interesting than it turned out to be.
Old 18th November 2017, 04:38 AM   #9
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Also I hate when these sort of news stories happen and they don't have a photo of the secret shame lover. Perhaps the public would be more forgiving if they saw what they looked like. "Well, gay sex is sinful against Republican Jesus, for sure, but that is a very good-looking fellow. Let's give him a pass this time!"
Old 18th November 2017, 05:32 AM   #10
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Surprised? Nyet! Just another in a long string of hypocritical 'Christian values' loud-mouthed shnooks. It really makes you wonder if many of the loudest bible thumpers are rump humpers.

I'm completely supportive of all sexual orientations. Hypocrisy I utterly despise.
How is it hypocritical? A tenet of Christianity is they strive for perfection and that we will all fail at it.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 18th November 2017 at 06:00 AM.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 05:44 AM   #11
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
How is it hypocritical? A tenant of Christianity is they strive for perfection and that we will all fail at it.
Because he is admonishing others for behavior he himself engages in.
It would not be a story if he kept him judgmental mouth shut.
Have all the gay sex you want. But don't stand on your ivory tower and judge others for doing the same.

Strive for 'perfection', in yourself, not in others.
The Sparrow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 05:50 AM   #12
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Sparrow View Post
Because he is admonishing others for behavior he himself engages in.
It would not be a story if he kept him judgmental mouth shut.
Have all the gay sex you want. But don't stand on your ivory tower and judge others for doing the same.

Strive for 'perfection', in yourself, not in others.
He admonishes himself for the same behavior. He never claims his behavior is acceptable.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 05:50 AM   #13
logger
Banned

Christianity many times attracts horrible, hurting, helpless people. It would seem to the atheist that the whole religion is like this, but some people do slip back into their old lives while claiming to be walking with the lord. None of these stories are ever going to change and neither will the atheist continue to criticize the religion for it. Instead of criticizing the real problem, sinful man.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 05:54 AM   #14
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

The whole tenet of the faith is everyone is imperfect and everyone has demons.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 18th November 2017 at 06:00 AM.
Old 18th November 2017, 05:58 AM   #15
angrysoba
Philosophile

How is it hypocritical? A tenant of Christianity is they strive for perfection and that we will all fail at it.
The whole tenant of the faith is everyone is imperfect and everyone has demons.
tenet, not tenant!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 06:00 AM   #16
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
tenet, not tenant!
Thank you. Updated.
Old 18th November 2017, 06:00 AM   #17
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

He admonishes himself for the same behavior. He never claims his behavior is acceptable.
Say what? I see no public apology nor such "admonishment".

Oh, and a tenant of Christianity is the guy living in the basement at First Baptist. You mean tenet.

Ninja'd

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 18th November 2017 at 06:14 AM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 06:01 AM   #18
fuelair
Banned

That!!!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 06:02 AM   #19
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post

Oh, and a tenant of Christianity is the guy living in the basement at First Baptist. You mean tenet.
Well noted!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 06:03 AM   #20
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

He issued a statement saying "We all bring our own struggles and our own trials into public life,"
Old 18th November 2017, 06:15 AM   #21
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

He issued a statement saying "We all bring our own struggles and our own trials into public life,"
That's admonishing himself. Link?

ETA: Here's the statement:

“Serving as the state representative for the 87th Ohio House District has been one of the great honors of my life. We all bring our own struggles and our own trials into public life. That has been true for me, and I sincerely regret that my actions and choices have kept me from serving my constituents and our state in a way that reflects the best ideals of public service. For those whom I have let down, I’m sorry. As I move onto the next chapter of my life, I sincerely ask for privacy for myself, my family, and my friends.”

Doesn't sound in the least like he's admonishing himself. It's a half-assed apology with a lot of generic crap that could go into a daily Horoscope column; it could apply to anybody.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 18th November 2017 at 06:20 AM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 06:17 AM   #22
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

That's admonishing himself. Link?
https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxne...-male.amp.html
Old 18th November 2017, 06:28 AM   #23
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

And how often their biggest boosters have known for years.

Quote:
On a fall evening two years ago, donors gathered during a conference at a Ritz-Carlton hotel near Washington to raise funds for a 31-year-old candidate for the Ohio legislature who was a rising star in evangelical politics.

Hours later, upstairs in a hotel guest room, an 18-year-old college student who had come to the event with his parents said the candidate unzipped his pants and fondled him in the middle of the night. The frightened teenager fled the room and told his mother and stepfather, who demanded action from the head of the organization hosting the conference.

“If we endorse these types of individuals, then it would seem our whole weekend together was nothing more than a charade,” the stepfather wrote to Tony Perkins, president of the Council for National Policy.

“Trust me . . . this will not be ignored nor swept aside,” replied Perkins, who also heads the Family Research Council, a prominent evangelical activist group. “It will be dealt with swiftly, but with prudence.”

The incident, described in emails and documents obtained by The Washington Post, never became public, nor did unspecified prior “similar incidents” Perkins referred to in a letter to candidate Wesley Goodman. The correspondence shows Perkins privately asked Goodman to drop out of the race and suspended him from the council, but Goodman continued his campaign and went on to defeat two fellow Republicans in a hotly contested primary before winning his seat last November.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 06:34 AM   #24
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Christianity many times attracts horrible, hurting, helpless people. It would seem to the atheist that the whole religion is like this, but some people do slip back into their old lives while claiming to be walking with the lord. None of these stories are ever going to change and neither will the atheist continue to criticize the religion for it. Instead of criticizing the real problem, sinful man.
Ah yes because Jesus can forgive him after his gay S&M weekend.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 06:37 AM   #25
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Matthew 7:1-5
Luke 6:37-42

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 18th November 2017 at 06:38 AM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 07:25 AM   #26
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

There is more to it, even.

This guy has a history that has been hidden and ignored. Apparently, before he ran he was at some "holier than thou" morals event run by Tony Perkins and fondled some 18 yo guy's ding dong. The guy told his folks, who complained to Perkins. Ultimately, Perkins soured on the guy and booted him off the inner circle, and tried to talk him out of running. He ran anyway and won, vowing to Perkins that he would change (probably did conversion therapy)

They kept it all quiet, of course, because they didn't want to risk his chances of winning.

So whether or not this current situation was consensual or not I do not know. However, he has a history of non-consensual behavior
Old 18th November 2017, 07:49 AM   #27
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

The funny thing is, assuming all parties involved were consensual participants, I claim it IS acceptable.
The whole Idea that being gay falls short of 'perfection' is the problem. And this dude crusades against gays. He already is a jerk. But then he ads to his own jerkness by engaging in the very behavior he crusades against.

If you're going to attempt to dictate how others should behave in the bedroom, yet engage in those very same behaviors, you are a hypocrite. If you are allowing for personal failures (as if being gay is a failure LOL) then you better allow them in others, or you are a hypocrite.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/hypocrite
The Sparrow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 07:53 AM   #28
logger
Banned

Ah yes because Jesus can forgive him after his gay S&M weekend.
Did you expect him to be condemned?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 07:55 AM   #29
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Matthew 7:1-5
Luke 6:37-42
Agreed, but that doesn’t mean we can’t make judgements on what he did. He’s another hurting human being who is going to spend a lifetime dealing with this issue.
Old 18th November 2017, 07:56 AM   #30
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

The funny thing is, assuming all parties involved were consensual participants, I claim it IS acceptable.
The whole Idea that being gay falls short of 'perfection' is the problem. And this dude crusades against gays. He already is a jerk. But then he ads to his own jerkness by engaging in the very behavior he crusades against.

If you're going to attempt to dictate how others should behave in the bedroom, yet engage in those very same behaviors, you are a hypocrite. If you are allowing for personal failures (as if being gay is a failure LOL) then you better allow them in others, or you are a hypocrite.

Let's take that definition

Quote:
a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
The stated beliefs of Christianity is that everyone will fail to meet the standard and will have to seek repentance. That sounds like it would not be hypocrisy as he admits he sins and has to work on it like every other Christian.
Old 18th November 2017, 07:57 AM   #31
logger
Banned

Surprise, another human being who’s a hypocrite.
Old 18th November 2017, 08:00 AM   #32
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Let's take that definition

The stated beliefs of Christianity is that everyone will fail to meet the standard and will have to seek repentance. That sounds like it would not be hypocrisy as he admits he sins and has to work on it like every other Christian.
You keep dropping the part where he is dictating how others should behave.

If he wasn't doing that part, if he was just a self proclaimed christian who was having gay sex, I wouldn't give a crap.

He's not saying "I should behave a certain way", he is saying "everyone should behave a certain way".
Old 18th November 2017, 08:01 AM   #33
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Did you expect him to be condemned?
I was unclear. Jesus had a gay S&M weekend and now can forgive all sins.
Old 18th November 2017, 08:03 AM   #34
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

You keep dropping the part where he is dictating how others should behave.

If he wasn't doing that part, if he was just a self proclaimed christian who was having gay sex, I wouldn't give a crap.

He's not saying "I should behave a certain way", he is saying "everyone should behave a certain way".
He does think everyone, including him, should behave that way. He doesn't think his behavior is okay. He is actually in possession of the principles he claims to have.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 18th November 2017 at 08:04 AM.
Old 18th November 2017, 08:06 AM   #35
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

He is actually in possession of the principles he claims to have.
How do you know that? Based on what?
Old 18th November 2017, 08:10 AM   #36
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

How do you know that? Based on what?
He advocates that position. He is part of a group that advocates that position. He has taken no actions that suggest he doesn't.

It helps that Christian principles are an incredibly low bar that covers nearly everything.
Old 18th November 2017, 08:25 AM   #37
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

He advocates that position. He is part of a group that advocates that position.
So what? King Leopold of Belgium claimed he wanted to help the Africans while at the same time he was raping the country dry. Did Leopold really want to help the Africans because his words said so?

He has taken no actions that suggest he doesn't.
Except for having gay extramarital sex in his office. LOL.

If he can be 'overcome by his desires' but be forgiven for it. Why can't the LGBT people he condemns. What gives him the moral high ground to dictate others behaviors? He needs to stay the hell out of other peoples rights. The fact that he won't, yet allows himself a different set of standards, betrays his hipocrisy.
Old 18th November 2017, 08:25 AM   #38
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

That would be the same as criticising the religion as sin as you use it is a Christian concept.
Old 18th November 2017, 08:32 AM   #39
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Except for having gay extramarital sex in his office. LOL.

If he can be 'overcome by his desires' but be forgiven for it. Why can't the LGBT people he condemns. What gives him the moral high ground to dictate others behaviors? He needs to stay the hell out of other peoples rights. The fact that he won't, yet allows himself a different set of standards, betrays his hipocrisy.
Extramarital gay sex is consistent with his christian principles.

I doubt he has ever said they cannot receive God's forgiveness after repent. As a Christian he is implementing the dictates of God who would have the moral high ground. He isn't implementing his own dictates.
Old 18th November 2017, 08:39 AM   #40
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Extramarital gay sex is consistent with his christian principles.
Apparently - LOL

I doubt he has ever said they cannot receive God's forgiveness after repent. As a Christian he is implementing the dictates of God who would have the moral high ground. He isn't implementing his own dictates.
He lacks the moral authority to:
-implementing the dictates of God
-determine what God's "dictates" actually are.

He never had that authority in the first place. He has it even less now, in that he permits for himself behavior that he wants to prevent others from engaging in.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics