ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th March 2020, 09:55 AM   #1
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Forum consensus, employee who refuses to close bathroom door .

While using the facilities?

I've got one I supervise. Given written notice 28th February of company policy, walk in on them yesterday afternoon.

Is this a new thing I've somehow missed out on? Individual in question is in my age group.

Progressive discipline as provided for in the union contract.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 09:58 AM   #2
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Insufficient info. Number 1 or Number 2? Are they hot? Are they doing this in a sexy way, or just a normal way? What is the decor of the bathroom?

Take a photo. They can hardly object in grounds of privacy if they're leaving the door open.
Old 10th March 2020, 09:59 AM   #3
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Is it an actual room with a toilet in it, giving out onto a corridor or similar space?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 10:00 AM   #4
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

r/deuceinview

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 10:12 AM   #5
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Immediate reaction: How is this even a thing????!!!? I've seen warning signs instructing employees not to stand on the toilet seat while defecating, but refusing to close the door? Ewwww.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 10:16 AM   #6
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Install a fake camera pointing at the bathroom stall door.
Old 10th March 2020, 10:17 AM   #7
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

"Notice: By leaving this door open the user agrees to assign all copyrights of their performance to the company, which will be live streaming them for profit on Poopcam."
Old 10th March 2020, 10:24 AM   #8
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Insufficient info. Number 1 or Number 2? Are they hot? Are they doing this in a sexy way, or just a normal way? What is the decor of the bathroom?

Take a photo. They can hardly object in grounds of privacy if they're leaving the door open.
Yeah, insufficient info.
Shared restroom for everyone, or unisex?
How many occupants can it accomodate?
Are we talking about an outer door or stall door?
Is it Coronavirus related?
Old 10th March 2020, 10:27 AM   #9
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

What have they been eating? There are people at my work who apparently eat curried farts and kimchee for breakfast, judging by the blistering fumes they emit in the bathroom in the afternoons. The tile on the walls cracks from the smell.
Old 10th March 2020, 10:42 AM   #10
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

To all - not hot, #1 so far, door wide open.

Other bathroom users can enter the bathroom exterior by key, including state of Ca. employees who are on site, LGBT individuals along with us boring types.

This issue started with the EIQ entering the BR through my office and leaving both doors open while they did their thing. Immediately informed them that they must close both doors while using other facilities - and the fight was on.

This person claims a 170 IQ - on their resume - and it's been a long running **** show since his hiring in 2016. I wanted to can them before the end of their probationary period, but the GM though they'ed straighten up. At some point I'll make a detailed post in Community detailing the carnival of idiocy this person drags along with them.

They're getting a formal warning letter this afternoon. I'll report later.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 10:46 AM   #11
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I think I speak for all reasonable people when I say that the situation definitely calls for murder. It's the sensible solution here. Let us know how it goes.
Old 10th March 2020, 10:52 AM   #12
Cavemonster
Philosopher

I'm still a bit unclear whether there's a stall involved here. And the last post makes me a little more confused, with reference to locks.

Is this an issue of no stall, and the person's bathroom activity is visible to passers by or potentially visible to those walking into the bathroom?

Is it an issue of sound transmission?

Is it an issue of bathroom security? You mentioned keyed access.

Is it a one at a time single user bathroom?

And when you say "refuses" how does the employee react to being told to close the door? Do they actually actively say "hell no!" or do you mean "refuses" just to characterize that they continue leaving the door open?

Weird either way whether the cause is willful defiance or bad memory/habit. But the latter is slightly less weird and more likely fixable.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 11:01 AM   #13
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
While using the facilities?

I've got one I supervise. Given written notice 28th February of company policy, walk in on them yesterday afternoon.

Is this a new thing I've somehow missed out on? Individual in question is in my age group.

Progressive discipline as provided for in the union contract.
Ah. Bathroom etiquette.

For reference, my company inhabits a facility shared/rented among many small businesses. Bathroom aplenty. All over. All single cubicles off common hallways.

The procedure is that one enters, does whatever, cleans up and leaves making sure to clean up, switch off the light, leave the lock on vacant and discretely depart.

Nevertheless, some people leave the light on, the fans running (who knows why), the door shut and the lock left ambiguously halfway between occupied and vacant.

This results in various persons wandering in search of a toilet one can be sure is not occupied. Nobody wants to bust in on someone doing anything deeply personal.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 11:12 AM   #14
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

It seems weird to react to seeing someone engaging in an activity nearly every lifeform on Earth engages in multiple times a day.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 11:12 AM   #15
kali1137
Graduate Poster

I have to agree with Tragic Monkey on this one. Clearly the untrainable animal needs to be put down. I vote murder or if you are on the squeamish side, I would assume this is an HR nightmare where the person clearly needs to be let go.
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 11:12 AM   #16
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

This is one of those behaviors that is so "off" I almost want to assume there's an ulterior motive, although I couldn't really hazard a guess as to what it could be. This is not the kind of faux pas one just makes accidently once, much less repeatedly.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 11:16 AM   #17
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Shades of Taylor Swift

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 11:17 AM   #18
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
It seems weird to react to seeing someone engaging in an activity nearly every lifeform on Earth engages in multiple times a day.
Peeing and pooping is special and should be private. Sharing should be reserved for special occasions like anniversaries or funerals or proms.
Old 10th March 2020, 11:19 AM   #19
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

To all - not hot, #1 so far, door wide open.

Other bathroom users can enter the bathroom exterior by key, including state of Ca. employees who are on site, LGBT individuals along with us boring types.

This issue started with the EIQ entering the BR through my office and leaving both doors open while they did their thing. Immediately informed them that they must close both doors while using other facilities - and the fight was on.

This person claims a 170 IQ - on their resume - and it's been a long running **** show since his hiring in 2016. I wanted to can them before the end of their probationary period, but the GM though they'ed straighten up. At some point I'll make a detailed post in Community detailing the carnival of idiocy this person drags along with them.

They're getting a formal warning letter this afternoon. I'll report later.
You hired someone who puts their supposed IQ on their CV and expect normal behaviour?
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 11:22 AM   #20
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
You hired someone who puts their supposed IQ on their CV and expect normal behaviour?
Perhaps it stood for Incontinence Quotient.
Old 10th March 2020, 11:25 AM   #21
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Perhaps it stood for Incontinence Quotient.
Old 10th March 2020, 11:28 AM   #22
carlitos
"más divertido"

Years ago, we had an employee that built a little nest out of toilet paper around the toilet bowl, then peed all over the place - the nest, the floor, the back of the toilet. We had a multi-stall men's bathroom and only figured it out by process of (ahem) elimination, ruling employees out one by one by checking the room after they walked out. The guy had mental problems, and ended up getting fired for faking signatures on purchase orders.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 11:32 AM   #23
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
That was my thought as well. I wouldn't put that resume in the "to be called" file.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 11:34 AM   #24
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
That was my thought as well. I wouldn't put that resume in the "to be called" file.
I blush to admit it but early on in my working life I included my GPA in the Education part of my resume.
Old 10th March 2020, 11:35 AM   #25
carlitos
"más divertido"

I roll my eyes when someone out of school for more than 10 years has their GPA on the resume, but early out of school I think that it's fine.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 11:36 AM   #26
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I roll my eyes when someone out of school for more than 10 years has their GPA on the resume.
I stopped doing it before that point. Not a total moron...or else how could I have a dazzling 3.98?
Old 10th March 2020, 11:56 AM   #27
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
This is one of those behaviors that is so "off" I almost want to assume there's an ulterior motive, although I couldn't really hazard a guess as to what it could be. This is not the kind of faux pas one just makes accidently once, much less repeatedly.
My speculation would be some sort of scam where getting fired for some non-work-related conduct is preferable to being fired for something like just not showing up. I have no idea what scam that might be but, as you say, the behavior is very weird, especially after being warned about it. Perhaps he'll claim claustrophobia at some point?
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 12:22 PM   #28
plague311
Great minds think...

Have you tried doing it in return? It worked for me to get my dogs to stop biting.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 12:28 PM   #29
xjx388
Philosopher

For me, after repeated warnings, I would let the person go. I guess you can't do that due to some union stuff. Have you contacted a union rep?
Old 10th March 2020, 12:50 PM   #30
DragonLady
Illuminator

I'd say this person is a control freak, who does this because it makes everyone else uncomfortable and angry.

Personally, I'd fire them.

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 01:31 PM   #31
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

First world/sjw/never been in a communal toilet situation? Never ever even seen a two-holer? None of you guys old enough to remember the looong troughs? Or the rows of Navy toilets built over a flowing "channel" of water? (light a hand full of TP on fire at the uphill end and drop it in, burn the hair off of everybody's asses on it's way down stream)

What's the difference between the OP and the common urinals with no or partial partitions?
Old 10th March 2020, 01:38 PM   #32
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
First world/sjw/never been in a communal toilet situation? Never ever even seen a two-holer? None of you guys old enough to remember the looong troughs? Or the rows of Navy toilets built over a flowing "channel" of water? (light a hand full of TP on fire at the uphill end and drop it in, burn the hair off of everybody's asses on it's way down stream)

What's the difference between the OP and the common urinals with no or partial partitions?
I'm sorry I have to explain this to you. Those toilets are designed that way, the bathroom is made to used in the way those people are using them.

The bathroom being referenced isn't designed to be used that way, and it's obviously making people uncomfortable. I go to the Sprint Car races up here and they have a trough. It's not a shock to me, but if I went into a private bathroom and some douche nozzle was standing with the door wide open, taking a piss, in an open stall bathroom I'd ask him what the **** he was doing. The same way I'd ask someone shaving their face with a ******* butter knife. That's not its designed purpose.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 01:53 PM   #33
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I'm sorry I have to explain this to you. Those toilets are designed that way, the bathroom is made to used in the way those people are using them.

The bathroom being referenced isn't designed to be used that way, and it's obviously making people uncomfortable. I go to the Sprint Car races up here and they have a trough. It's not a shock to me, but if I went into a private bathroom and some douche nozzle was standing with the door wide open, taking a piss, in an open stall bathroom I'd ask him what the **** he was doing. The same way I'd ask someone shaving their face with a ******* butter knife. That's not its designed purpose.
And, if I've read right up up until now, it's a written company policy to shut the door. That alone should be enough to ****can the unruly bastard.
Old 10th March 2020, 01:59 PM   #34
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
First world/sjw/
Get a grip.
Old 10th March 2020, 02:01 PM   #35
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Germophobe, who doesn't want to touch the knob? No, not that knob, the one on the door!
Old 10th March 2020, 02:06 PM   #36
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Have you tried doing it in return? It worked for me to get my dogs to stop biting.
Yes, I agree: have them bitten to death by dogs.

Wiener dogs would be most appropriate, in this situation.
Old 10th March 2020, 02:08 PM   #37
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
OK. If I eat something untoward which causes me to spray projectile feces everywhere due to whatever bug, you are quite comfortable to observe me spray painting the walls brown and, according to you, I should be quite comfortable having you watch me like some sort of fetishist.

That is deeply creepy.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 02:33 PM   #38
ahhell
Illuminator

This person claims a 170 IQ - on their resume -.
Wait, what? Who puts their IQ on a resume and why would you hire them if you saw that on a resume?

Aside from that, its weird, probably a power play but maybe exhibitionism. Start the process to of official warnings and what not to eventually lead to his termination.

I blush to admit it but early on in my working life I included my GPA in the Education part of my resume.
That's fine if you're fresh out of school and totally different from IQ.

Last edited by ahhell; 10th March 2020 at 02:36 PM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 02:42 PM   #39
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
OK. If I eat something untoward which causes me to spray projectile feces everywhere due to whatever bug, you are quite comfortable to observe me spray painting the walls brown
Brown? Brown?! Brown is a luxury. You should see what happens when people get really ill. There have been occasions where I'd have killed for it to just be brown.
Old 10th March 2020, 03:01 PM   #40
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

#Better things to worry about.

But thanks for the entertaining thread.
Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events