ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 24th August 2019, 04:37 PM   #721
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I prefer jokes above the level of Beavis and Butt-head in 6th grade.

[Beavis] Hehehe hehehe he said penis. [/Beavis]
Which wouldbe fine if you had a president above the level of Beavis and Butthead
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 04:38 PM   #722
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

France and President @EmmanuelMacron have done a really great job thus far with a very important G-7. Lunch with Emmanuel was the best meeting we have yet had. Likewise, evening meeting with World Leaders went very well. Progress being made!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 04:39 PM   #723
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The Media is destroying the Free Press! Mark Levin. So True!
Old 24th August 2019, 04:53 PM   #724
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

"Destroying the free press"? Once again we have a tell-tale sign of tRump's attitudes towards the country and its foundational laws and customs which will be dutifully ignored by most.
Old 24th August 2019, 04:53 PM   #725
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Well now we know why Trump is pushing the Fed so hard to lower interest rates like they're ruining the country by not doing so, while simultaneously claiming that the country's economy is stronger than it's ever been. It turns out Trump has a lot to gain personally; he has several loans outstanding from his pre-president years, and his payments would drop by millions of dollars a year if interest rates dropped. Trump is essentially attempting to use the presidency to pressure the Federal Reserve to reduce his own interest payments.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 05:24 PM   #726
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

France and President @EmmanuelMacron have done a really great job thus far with a very important G-7. Lunch with Emmanuel was the best meeting we have yet had. Likewise, evening meeting with World Leaders went very well. Progress being made!
I'm mostly curious as to what they had for lunch. Did he get the same thing everyone else did, or insist on Les Hamberders? Or did he wait until getting back to his hotel room to scarf down on junk food?
Old 24th August 2019, 05:29 PM   #727
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Well now we know why Trump is pushing the Fed so hard to lower interest rates like they're ruining the country by not doing so, while simultaneously claiming that the country's economy is stronger than it's ever been. It turns out Trump has a lot to gain personally; he has several loans outstanding from his pre-president years, and his payments would drop by millions of dollars a year if interest rates dropped. Trump is essentially attempting to use the presidency to pressure the Federal Reserve to reduce his own interest payments.
He acts as if he has a pathological desire for money. An ordinary billionaire would not say, “my desire to increase my net worth by one-tenth of one percent is so great that I have to do things like attack the federal reserve and charge foreign leaders to stay at my property during meetings.”
Old 24th August 2019, 07:07 PM   #728
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
He acts as if he has a pathological desire for money. An ordinary billionaire would not say, “my desire to increase my net worth by one-tenth of one percent is so great that I have to do things like attack the federal reserve and charge foreign leaders to stay at my property during meetings.”
It would be entirely in character for him to have a pathological desire for money, but one must also remember that there's a very good chance he does not actually have nearly as much of it as he makes out.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 07:43 PM   #729
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
What makes you think his loans are tied to the discount rate?
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 07:43 PM   #730
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
It would be entirely in character for him to have a pathological desire for money, but one must also remember that there's a [certainty] very good chance he does not actually have nearly as much of it as he makes out.
ftfy

There's a very good chance he's actually underwater financially.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 24th August 2019 at 07:44 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 07:50 PM   #731
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
What makes you think his loans are tied to the discount rate?
From the article: "The payments on all four properties vary with interest rate changes, according to Trump’s official financial disclosures."
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 09:57 PM   #732
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
This sort of blanket reasoning seems to apply to almost any topic. The only way Republicans would work with Democrats is if the result affects minorities in a disproportionately negative way.
That's because, according to fairly recent history, that's exactly how the republicans have acted.

Besides, if the Dems support background checks and now the Repubs then it would be child's play to actually enact such laws. But they aren't. Taking some polls at face value it seems the general public support such laws as well.

I guess in order for something like that to happen we must consult the true constituents.

Quote:
It's not very useful reasoning, in my opinion. Your only argument that background checks would be onerous to minorities is that they'd have to be for them nasty Republicans to want them.
The only one I bothered to post, sure. Anyway, I decided to give one idea to answer angrysoba's question (unless it was meant to be rhetorical); it was never intended to be a formal thesis by any means.

So, how do you explain it then? Lay bare your sterling wisdom and demonstrate my inadequacies for all to see.
Old 25th August 2019, 01:34 AM   #733
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Before I arrived in France, the Fake and Disgusting News was saying that relations with the 6 others countries in the G-7 are very tense, and that the two days of meetings will be a disaster. Just like they are trying to force a Recession, they are trying to “will” America into..

....bad Economic times, the worse the better, anything to make my Election more difficult to win. Well, we are having very good meetings, the Leaders are getting along very well, and our Country, economically, is doing great - the talk of the world!
Old 25th August 2019, 01:36 AM   #734
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Such False and Inaccurate reporting thus far on the G-7. The Fake News knows this but they can’t help themselves! Leaving now to have breakfast with Boris J.

Great working breakfast this morning with Prime Minister @BorisJohnson at the Hôtel du Palais in Biarritz, France! #G7Biarritz
Old 25th August 2019, 01:45 AM   #735
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Trump Tweets

Before I arrived in France, the Fake and Disgusting News
So sayeth the Fake and Disgusting President.
Old 25th August 2019, 04:02 AM   #736
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Leaving now to have breakfast with Boris J.
What a meeting of the minds that will be.
Old 25th August 2019, 04:23 AM   #737
angrysoba
Philosophile

Which wouldbe fine if you had a president above the level of Beavis and Butthead
You mean President...Trump?!

Huh huh huh, I said “trump”! Huh huh huh! Huh huh!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 05:42 AM   #738
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

When I looked up to the sky and jokingly said “I am the chosen one,” at a press conference two days ago, referring to taking on Trade with China, little did I realize that the media would claim that I had a “Messiah complex.” They knew I was kidding, being sarcastic, and just....

....having fun. I was smiling as I looked up and around. The MANY reporters with me were smiling also. They knew the TRUTH...And yet when I saw the reporting, CNN, MSNBC and other Fake News outlets covered it as serious news & me thinking of myself as the Messiah. No more trust!
I have no problem with Trump being the Messiah. I'd love to see him politically crucified.
Old 25th August 2019, 06:05 AM   #739
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Trump Tweets

How...?

No, wait, let me guess. By fact-checking conservative news outlets, the “Media” is preventing the conservative media echo chamber from spewing whatever nonsense propaganda is good for the GOP?, this destroying “the Free Press”?
Old 25th August 2019, 06:48 AM   #740
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Nothing destroys the free press like freedom of the press. Those failing fakers forget that freedom is slavery and ignorance is strength. Sad.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 06:56 AM   #741
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

He's probably self-conscious again and projecting to feel better.
Old 25th August 2019, 07:01 AM   #742
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

When I looked up to the sky and jokingly said “I am the chosen one,” at a press conference two days ago, referring to taking on Trade with China, little did I realize that the media would claim that I had a “Messiah complex.” They knew I was kidding, being sarcastic, and just....

....having fun. I was smiling as I looked up and around. The MANY reporters with me were smiling also. They knew the TRUTH...And yet when I saw the reporting, CNN, MSNBC and other Fake News outlets covered it as serious news & me thinking of myself as the Messiah. No more trust!
The fact that he even bothers to comment and defend himself on this tells all.

Hans
Old 25th August 2019, 07:20 AM   #743
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
The only one I bothered to post, sure. Anyway, I decided to give one idea to answer angrysoba's question (unless it was meant to be rhetorical); it was never intended to be a formal thesis by any means.

So, how do you explain it then? Lay bare your sterling wisdom and demonstrate my inadequacies for all to see.
Soba's question was easy to answer. It was predicated on a false presumption that Trump is pursuing background checks, something that he reversed position on (again).

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I’m gonna play devil’s advocate for a second and ask what is wrong with Trump pursuing background checks on people purchasing firearms?
That he's not proposing background checks? I know he mentioned it right after El Paso, but recent reports are that he told the head of the NRA that expanded background checks are off the table.

Same thing he did after the Florida school shooting. Talk about background checks immediately after the shooting and then drop them a week or two later.

Now it turns out that the problem is mental health, regardless of the fact that most shooters are not diagnosed with mental health problems. Now, perhaps there are diagnoses that should have been made, but even that's not clear. One can have a terrible, violent political philosophy without being mentally ill.
Had Trump actually been pursuing background checks, I also pointed out that background checks were unlikely to have any significant impact on mass shootings, which is the problem that is prompting the policy change.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 07:24 AM   #744
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
The fact that he even bothers to comment and defend himself on this tells all.

Hans
I think it's not unreasonable to think looking to the heavens and saying he's the "Chosen One" was facetious.

Since it's Trump, it's also not unreasonable to think he meant it. Fits in with the views of many evangelists, who genuinely think that God chose Trump just as he chose Saul.

I'll count it as ambiguous whether he really meant he's the chosen one, it was a mere joke or it was a joke intended to be taken seriously by certain Christians.

Last edited by phiwum; 25th August 2019 at 07:25 AM.
Old 25th August 2019, 07:36 AM   #745
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I have no problem with Trump being the Messiah. I'd love to see him politically crucified.
I wouldn't mind physically crucified, either.
Old 25th August 2019, 07:51 AM   #746
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I think it's not unreasonable to think looking to the heavens and saying he's the "Chosen One" was facetious.

Since it's Trump, it's also not unreasonable to think he meant it. Fits in with the views of many evangelists, who genuinely think that God chose Trump just as he chose Saul.

I'll count it as ambiguous whether he really meant he's the chosen one, it was a mere joke or it was a joke intended to be taken seriously by certain Christians.
Im having a hard time thinking of a time when President Trump ever made a joke that did not involve making fun of someone he hates?
Old 25th August 2019, 07:59 AM   #747
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

"Many truths are said in jest."

Or, in this case "Many of his beliefs he claims are jests."
Old 25th August 2019, 08:09 AM   #748
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I wouldn't mind physically crucified, either.
Physically impossible in his case: those tiny hands could never support that kind of weight.
Old 25th August 2019, 08:23 AM   #749
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Soba's question was easy to answer. It was predicated on a false presumption that Trump is pursuing background checks, something that he reversed position on (again).
No, it wasn't predicated on a false presumption because he specifically excluded that by stating he was playing devil's advocate.

Quote:
Had Trump actually been pursuing background checks, I also pointed out that background checks were unlikely to have any significant impact on mass shootings, which is the problem that is prompting the policy change.
Your answer then is to ignore the question asked and answer something else and then act all dismissive when I answered as opponent to the devil's advocate which is what was requested.
Old 25th August 2019, 09:25 AM   #750
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Im having a hard time thinking of a time when President Trump ever made a joke that did not involve making fun of someone he hates?
When he says he's staying on ten or fourteen years, it is reasonable to think he's joking. It's also reasonable to think he's joking that way to introduce the notion, I suppose.

ETA: Just saw the clip again. Must admit that "I am the Chosen One" was not delivered like a joke at all.

Last edited by phiwum; 25th August 2019 at 09:59 AM.
Old 25th August 2019, 09:30 AM   #751
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
No, it wasn't predicated on a false presumption because he specifically excluded that by stating he was playing devil's advocate.
Playing devil's advocate doesn't mean "I know that this isn't happening, but let's pretend it is."

But we needn't guess what Soba meant. He can tell us whether he mistakenly thought Trump was pursuing universal background checks.

Quote:
Your answer then is to ignore the question asked and answer something else and then act all dismissive when I answered as opponent to the devil's advocate which is what was requested.
First, even if I ignored the question, your answer is a poor answer. I don't think it's a feather in your cap that your response is, "It must be bad for minorities if the Republicans go along with it."

Second, I gave a link to a fuller response to the question "Why not add universal background checks in order to decrease mass shooting events?" The answer is that there's no clear reason to think it would achieve that goal. They might decrease other shootings, though I'd like to see some statistical analysis to this effect. I'd think that individual sales not associated with gun shows are a bigger problem than gun shows themselves, but I don't have any statistics to back that up.
Old 25th August 2019, 10:15 AM   #752
wasapi
Philosopher

Does anyone know what the odds are on Trump doing a second term?
Old 25th August 2019, 10:30 AM   #753
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

TrumpTweets

Our great Economy is the talk of everyone!
Yeah, behind their hands.
Old 25th August 2019, 10:32 AM   #754
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Better than zero. So...worrying.

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 25th August 2019 at 10:34 AM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 10:37 AM   #755
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Depends how successful he's been in halting intelligence agencies' programmes to stop election interference.
Old 25th August 2019, 10:46 AM   #756
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

JUST NOW: President @realDonaldTrump and Prime Minister
@AbeShinzo announced a trade deal.

"This is a tremendous deal for the United States. It's a really tremendous deal for our farmers."

Rasmussen at 50%. @MediaBuzzFNC & @FoxNews are only getting worse! Now @donnabrazile & others on Fox. Not what it used to be!

So @donnabrazile gives Crooked Hillary the Questions, and now she’s on @FoxNews!
Old 25th August 2019, 10:47 AM   #757
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Big Trade Deal just agreed to with Prime Minister Abe of Japan. Will be great for our Farmers, Ranchers and more. Really big Corn purchase!
Old 25th August 2019, 10:48 AM   #758
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Jennifer Jacobs
@JenniferJJacobs
Who’s 1st leader POTUS chose to sit with for bilat here at #G7 in Biarritz? UK’s new prime minister Boris Johnson.

“He needs no advice” on Brexit, Trump told us. “He’s the right man for the job. I've been saying that for a long time. It didn't make your predecessor very happy."
Old 25th August 2019, 11:24 AM   #759
Apathia
Philosopher

He's the incumbent, 40% approve of him, the Democrats will have a pathetic nominee, Gerrymandering, and more media manipulation, so pretty good. [insert sad emoji here]

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown

Last edited by Apathia; 25th August 2019 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Edited to ad emoji, but emoji not availible in edit.
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 11:29 AM   #760
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
He's the incumbent, 40% approve of him, the Democrats will have a pathetic nominee, Gerrymandering, and more media manipulation, so pretty good. [insert sad emoji here]
2018 delivered the House to those still loyal to the nation. Don't give up hope yet. Remember, Trump won the electoral college by 88,000 votes in three states. Happily, they skewed older so some of them have died and more will die by November 2020.

Last edited by Craig4; 25th August 2019 at 11:30 AM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics