ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 26th May 2014, 06:51 AM   #1
Praktik
Philosopher

Should we get a thread ready for inevitable UC Santa Barbara conspiracy claims?

Got a sinking feeling after Sandy Hook that each new school shooting will be fodder for the same conspiracy matrix to interpret as a hoax with crisis actors and all the rest.

For those who think this is just the province of those paranoid about guns (the common refrain being that the Sandy Hook hoax was perpetrated to pass a gun control agenda in congress), up here in Canada where people don't fetishize firearms the Conspiracy Massiv has glommed onto the Sandy Hook conspiracy more as a matter of media control and "distraction", which I think increases the propensity of these theories to spread around the Tinfoil Universe.

So, which grieving father didn't grieve the way someone expected him to?

Which media outlet(s) misreported an early fact?

There must be SOMETHING pointing to the conspiracy, just give me a moment or three to look real hard and find it!
“ it has become my conviction that things mean pretty much what we want them to mean. We’ll pluck significance from the least consequential happenstance if it suits us and happily ignore the most flagrantly obvious symmetry between separate aspects of our lives if it threatens some cherished prejudice or cosily comforting belief"
-Iain Banks
Praktik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2014, 06:52 AM   #2
Praktik
Philosopher

Infowars on the case early: http://www.infowars.com/california-s...and-feminists/

"Elliot Rodger’s psychosis will feed the ongoing effort to disarm and render helpless millions of Americans who are not complicit in his crime and do not pose a threat."
“ it has become my conviction that things mean pretty much what we want them to mean. We’ll pluck significance from the least consequential happenstance if it suits us and happily ignore the most flagrantly obvious symmetry between separate aspects of our lives if it threatens some cherished prejudice or cosily comforting belief"
-Iain Banks
Praktik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2014, 06:57 AM   #3
Tomtomkent
Philosopher

The Daily Mail has already named him the "Hunger Games Killer", because of some connection his dad has to the franchise. And of course if you see that headline you wont at all be mislead into thinking the HG was the cause...

Never look up an E-book because this signature line told you. Especially not Dead Lament (ASIN: B00JEN1MWY). Or A Little Trouble (ASIN: B00GQFZZQW).
Tomtomkent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2014, 08:36 AM   #4
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Not to worry- the geniuses at CluesForum are on the case:
Quote:
I've just watched the first minute or so of the [Rodger's] video and it has an eerily bizarre feel to it, possibly a simulated entity.
Quote:
Notice the palm trees waving in the wind outside his window, which is opened a few inches. One tree's fronds look like they should be showing up above the opened window line when the wind blows, yet they never do.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2014, 09:00 AM   #5
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Lordy. Those little detectives really need some better and more constructive hobbies. Preferably the sort which don't involve a computer in any form.

"Simulated entity," my foot. People - take your meds.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2014, 09:00 AM   #6
Praktik
Philosopher

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Not to worry- the geniuses at CluesForum are on the case:
Thank goodness we have someone investigating so closely! I wonder if law enforcement should consider engaging this forum for an assist??
-Iain Banks
Old 26th May 2014, 11:01 AM   #7
Praktik
Philosopher

Mike Adams lends his brand of crazy to the UC Santa Barbara theorizing:

http://www.naturalnews.com/045286_el...s_society.html
-Iain Banks
Old 26th May 2014, 11:11 AM   #8
Redwood
Graduate Poster

YouTubes already up from the usual suspects:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

He's a Sandy Hooker, also. Especially obnoxious, even though he's turned against Wolfgang Halbig, after initially supporting him.

Last edited by Redwood; 26th May 2014 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Furthermore....
Redwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2014, 11:32 AM   #9
Praktik
Philosopher

re: "turned against Wolfgang", They really eat their own don't they??
-Iain Banks
Old 26th May 2014, 11:51 AM   #10
Chaos
Penultimate Amazing

While I do not wish any of their relatives any harm, I do wonder how a hardcore CTer would react if someone they are close to was a victim of one of these events.

What if, for example, the niece or nephew of one of these people dies in a school shooting? Do they accuse their sibling of being in on it? Do they tell them to their face that their kid never existed?

Or do they act insane and sociopathics only when strangers are involved?
Chaos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2014, 11:53 AM   #11
Chaos
Penultimate Amazing

While I do not wish any of their relatives any harm, I do wonder how a hardcore CTer would react if someone they are close to was a victim of one of these events.

What if, for example, the niece or nephew of one of these people dies in a school shooting? Do they accuse their sibling of being in on it? Do they tell them to their face that their kid never existed?

Chaos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2014, 01:08 PM   #12
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Okay how many mass shootings have we had in the US and how many gun control bills have even made it out of committee since 1994? Even the whackados at Info Wars must notice that nothing ever comes of these shootings.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2014, 01:33 PM   #13
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

You kidding me? All the whackados need to hear is "Obummer wants yer gunz".

Does critical thinking ever come to play at their level of discourse?

Might as well remind Truthers that the AQ hijackers were not Iraqi.
Old 26th May 2014, 06:08 PM   #14
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
You kidding me? All the whackados need to hear is "Obummer wants yer gunz".

Does critical thinking ever come to play at their level of discourse?

Might as well remind Truthers that the AQ hijackers were not Iraqi.
I'm still pissed off about the fact that Alex Jones was touted as representative of gun owners, and used to make them all seem like they were going "Obummer wants yer gunz". That's just dirty pool.
000063 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2014, 07:15 PM   #15
Howie Felterbush
Bow Tie Daddy

I don't want to poop in anyone's oatmeal, but this wasn't a school shooting.

Or has the conspiracy already begun and this is the dis-info phase?

*cue ominous music*
"...wing collars are like an ocular violation."-TubbaBlubba
Howie Felterbush is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2014, 11:49 PM   #16
Playing Games
Thinker

Get ready now! It was another false flag to take away our gun rights.

https://www.facebook.com/ASheepNoMore

Scroll down to, Santa Barbara Hoax Pathetic Actor Father EXPOSED FAKE CRYING.

Last edited by Playing Games; 26th May 2014 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Forgot FYI
Playing Games is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2014, 07:45 AM   #17
Bishop
Critical Thinker

There are no tears in his eyes during the interview, therefore he's not really grieving! Logic!
Bishop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2014, 07:52 AM   #18
Praktik
Philosopher

Yep! So I think now we could consider a new principle of conspiracy thinking: The Conspiracy Accretion principle. I just knew the "crisis actors" meme was going to become a recurring one!

This is the product of some existing dynamics in the CT world:

1) CTers can't walk back a claim without diluting their CT bonafides
  • This is how CTers are more fundamentalist than fundamentalists like the Taliban, who reversed course on polio vaccination in a move western anti-vaxers could never emulate. Recall the Taliban had the courage of their convictions and were engaged in assassination of polio vaccine health workers - they walked back from THAT!
  • Moving the goalposts, ad homs - we all know the tricks. These are all employed rather than updating a claim based on new evidence. Other examples include the mindless repetition of easily debunked claims, such as "the towers falling at freefall speed" and "that was certainly a magic bullet!"
  • This could be named the Law of Conspiracy Infallibility - and violations of this law could mean revocation of your CT bona fides, or perhaps even more insidiously, be the mark of an active disinfo agent provacateur!

2) The NWO has a "bag of tricks" - and the game of CT thinking is simply trying to find out how a previously employed NWO "trick" could apply to the phenomenon you are analysing
  • CTers are nothing if not fans of precedent. Frequent responses to skeptical challenges of their claims include references to other examples from history. "What, you don't believe they can do it? Do your research on OKC, the Gulf of Tonkin, and you will understand that they've done this before!"
  • Call this Conspirata Stare Decisis, if you want to dress it up in legalese...

End result?

The Conspiracy Accretion Principle - Once a new conspiracy element is identified it is permanently added to the Meta-Conspiracy and never removed. Related to the Law of Conspiracy Infallibility, whereby accretion of new ideas is guaranteed through their inability to be updated/corrected/removed. There is no upper limit on the number of conspiracy ideas which may accrete, potentially (one day) bringing this Principle in fundamental conflict with the Laws of Physics. This day will be called The Conspiracy Singularity and may harken the implosion of the known Universe or other apocalyptic outcome (see: Idiocracy)
-Iain Banks

Last edited by Praktik; 27th May 2014 at 07:58 AM.
Old 27th May 2014, 12:51 PM   #19
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Okay how many mass shootings have we had in the US and how many gun control bills have even made it out of committee since 1994? Even the whackados at Info Wars must notice that nothing ever comes of these shootings.
Nah! They are banking on the idea that eventually the utter insanity that is these mass shootings , will result in at least some small measure of controlling access to firearms. Things like requiring detailed firearms safety courses and certificates before being able to purchase. Oh THEN they will be vindicated!! It may not be under Obama's term, it may not be his successor, or the one after that, but that's of no consequence. Being utterly wrong never deters a CT from simply substituting the next politician's name.
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2014, 12:56 PM   #20
Azrael 5
Philosopher

Im amazed at the amount of CT nuts(YouTube is rife with this one already!)but as with SandYhook I ask them:what are you going to do about it,if its all fake ,a false flag etc?

There's enough of them to gather some funds together to hire a lawyer and do whatever legal thing it is to "blow the case wide open". Yet all they can do is whine on youtube. 13 years since 9/11 and no one has been subpoenaed,what a waste of all those architects and engineers!!
Old 27th May 2014, 01:00 PM   #21
Azrael 5
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
There are no tears in his eyes during the interview, therefore he's not really grieving! Logic!
Yet when there are tears(eg:Obama Sandhook) they are fake!
Old 27th May 2014, 03:00 PM   #22
freud
Scholar

Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
YouTubes already up from the usual suspects:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

He's a Sandy Hooker, also. Especially obnoxious, even though he's turned against Wolfgang Halbig, after initially supporting him.
I'm familiar with this guy's work. He's an arrogant little twit. For the anniversary of Sandy Hook, he encouraged his viewers to copy his videos and reupload them with misleading titles like "Sandy Hook Tribute," in an effort to trick normal people into watching his conspiracy BS.

In his latest video, he claims that the government is not only watching his Youtube channel, but actively changing their plans based on his videos. He takes full credit for exposing the hoax and stopping the hoaxers' agenda. ReviewManify, a legend in his own mind.
freud is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2014, 03:59 PM   #23
Redwood
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Chaos View Post

The odds are in their favor as very few people die in such events. Most young people who die by murder are not killed in murder rampages, and after that, the biggest cause of death is accidents.
Redwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2014, 05:18 PM   #24
Redwood
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Playing Games View Post
Get ready now! It was another false flag to take away our gun rights.

https://www.facebook.com/ASheepNoMore

Scroll down to, Santa Barbara Hoax Pathetic Actor Father EXPOSED FAKE CRYING.
There are some seriously crazy people on that thread and on that FB page.
Old 27th May 2014, 05:26 PM   #25
Matthew Cline
Muse

Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
What if, for example, the niece or nephew of one of these people dies in a school shooting? Do they accuse their sibling of being in on it?
Assuming that they really, truly believe that mass shootings are all false-flags, some things they might say:

1) That the "alleged killer" was framed, and the victims were actually killed by a government agent.

2) The killer was brainwashed into doing it, like a Manchurian Candidate.

3) The victim they were related to actually existed and was actually killed, but all the other victims were faked.

Quote:
Do they tell them to their face that their kid never existed?
I think the most paranoid fringe of the True Believers might say the Conspiracy implanted false memories within the sibling's mind of having a kid that never existed. I can even imagine them thinking the Conpiracy gave them false memories, and then going over their memories of the nephew/neice looking for inconsitencies like they usually do for videos.
Matthew Cline is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2014, 09:02 PM   #26
Redwood
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Howie Felterbush View Post
I don't want to poop in anyone's oatmeal, but this wasn't a school shooting.

Or has the conspiracy already begun and this is the dis-info phase?

*cue ominous music*
If you want to get technical, it wasn't at the school, it was in an area near the school with a large student population. At least 5 of the 6 victims were students.
Old 27th May 2014, 11:16 PM   #27
Playing Games
Thinker

Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
There are some seriously crazy people on that thread and on that FB page.
Most CT'ers are seriously crazy people.
Playing Games is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2014, 01:40 AM   #28
Liam
Thinker

Originally Posted by Praktik View Post
Mike Adams lends his brand of crazy to the UC Santa Barbara theorizing:

http://www.naturalnews.com/045286_el...s_society.html

That's actually relatively sane for a CTist. At least he doesn't deny the killings took place and maybe Elliot Rodger was influenced by the media in some ways. I know it's easy to blame the media for everything though.
Liam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2014, 06:48 AM   #29
Azrael 5
Philosopher

I dont understand this particular hoax,there's plenty CCTV(usual request of truthers)pictures and video of the shooter(another cry of truthers) and what is the general reason for the CIA/FBI/Illuminati to create this one?
Old 28th May 2014, 07:33 AM   #30
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by Azrael 5 View Post
I dont understand this particular hoax,there's plenty CCTV(usual request of truthers)pictures and video of the shooter(another cry of truthers) and what is the general reason for the CIA/FBI/Illuminati to create this one?
I don't know about forums like InfoWars and AboveTopSecret, but CluesForum, at least, is a purist CT site; they're fundamentalists in the sense that they don't question why their chosen conspiracy exists- it's enough for them that, like a deity, it just does. Since they don't have to deal with sensible questions about motive, that's one less prop to be kicked out from under their beliefs.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2014, 09:44 AM   #31
Praktik
Philosopher

Look Azrael, they're just asking questions!!
-Iain Banks
Old 28th May 2014, 12:53 PM   #32
wollclark
Critical Thinker

Title translation: "We've decided before researching what's happened that it's not a conspiracy."

That's logical thinking.
wollclark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2014, 01:05 PM   #33
LaurelHS
Muse

Originally Posted by wollclark View Post
Title translation: "We've decided before researching what's happened that it's not a conspiracy."

That's logical thinking.
I think it's more like: "People making outrageous claims should include evidence, otherwise they're just being stupid and offensive."
LaurelHS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2014, 01:33 PM   #34
Praktik
Philosopher

That's logical thinking.
Of course I leave open the possibility to be corrected on this implicit claim in my OP title, just not expecting any evidence from the Usual Suspects who have turned recent tragedies into CTs (Sandy Hook, Boston Marathon, now this)
-Iain Banks
Old 29th May 2014, 01:00 AM   #35
Tolls
Illuminator

That's logical thinking.
Track record and all that.
Assuming every murder is a conspiracy by the powers that be is just plain silly.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2014, 03:15 AM   #36
Azrael 5
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
Track record and all that.
Assuming every murder is a conspiracy by the powers that be is just plain silly.
Surely the title is a case Occams Razor?

Has there ever been a murder proven that was a conspiracy ?
Old 29th May 2014, 08:23 AM   #37
MaxHardcore
Scholar

Elliot Rodger's grandfather faked the Holocaust

http://forum.codoh.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&p=65475

and Youtube has some concentrated insanity on it.
MaxHardcore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2014, 01:49 PM   #38
Redwood
Graduate Poster

A burnt-out 1980s punk-rocker joins the conspiracists:

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/heardmenta...ng_rampage.php

And more Argumenta Youtubea:

I AGREE

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories