ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th August 2020, 10:10 AM   #1
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Mississippi city terrorized by bowls of mashed potatoes

Originally Posted by NationalPost
Randomly placed bowls of mashed potatoes are terrorizing residents in a Jackson, Miss., neighbourhood after several locals found bowls of the white goop nestled in mailboxes and cars.
What ever happened to the good old days when citizens could go about their boring little lives without the fear of unprovoked random acts of mashed potatoes manifesting themselves in public?

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/...ashed-potatoes
Old 17th August 2020, 10:17 AM   #2
Myriad
Hyperthetical

"The question is, who put them here?"

"No. The real question is..." (puts on sunglasses) "...who dicksed them?"

YYYEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!
Old 17th August 2020, 10:21 AM   #3
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Quote:
“Some people were thinking maybe the mashed potatoes were poisoned to kill animals,” said resident Sebastian Bjernegard, who discovered his own potatoe’d porch when scurrying out for work at 7 a.m.
A Scandinavian name if I ever saw one.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2020, 10:24 AM   #4
Belz...
Fiend God

Mississipissity?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2020, 10:30 AM   #5
Wolrab
Illuminator

No potatoes of color? Obvious white supremacy.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2020, 10:41 AM   #6
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, whoever is doing it should get Peruvian purple potatoes to show it's not a race thing. Unless of course, there is some racial point this person is making.
Old 17th August 2020, 01:29 PM   #7
carlitos
"más divertido"

carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2020, 01:56 PM   #8
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

What? No bangers!!!!

"Chocks away" old chap!!

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2020, 02:00 PM   #9
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Reminds me of the plot of the first Doc Martin TV movie, only with spuds instead of jellies!
Old 17th August 2020, 02:39 PM   #10
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

[quote=Craig4;13192301...... Unless of course, there is some racial point this person is making.[/QUOTE]

That is my guess.Somebody is telling folks that they are White? As in Un-Woke to racial prejudice?
Old 17th August 2020, 02:40 PM   #11
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Without gravy it not just a free sample.
Old 17th August 2020, 02:44 PM   #12
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
That is my guess.Somebody is telling folks that they are White? As in Un-Woke to racial prejudice?
Brown skin white interior? Some kind of "Oreo" jibe?
Old 17th August 2020, 03:13 PM   #13
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
"The question is, who put them here?"

"No. The real question is..." (puts on sunglasses) "...who dicksedthem?"

YYYEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!
A better question would be who Dixied their potatoes
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald

Last edited by EHocking; 17th August 2020 at 03:16 PM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2020, 03:29 PM   #14
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

Thank goodness we get potato news, and boy is this rich. Can we take a few moments to appreciate the work that went into this? The peeling, the boiling, the mashing, and even perhaps the above-mentioned dicksing? Good on you, prankster. Bravo.

*Parrot Mason's mask courtesy of alfaniner*
MoeFaux is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2020, 03:35 PM   #15
catsmate
No longer the 1

Well it could be worse, it could be roving penguins....
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2020, 04:01 PM   #16
Cat Not Included
Thinker

Oh dear...isn't this disturbingly reminiscent of how Attack of the Killer Tomatoes started?
Cat Not Included is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2020, 04:56 PM   #17
whoanellie
Muse

I'm not sure what the "National Post" is or why this is just now appearing on their site, but this story is 16 months old.
whoanellie is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2020, 06:14 PM   #18
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by whoanellie View Post
I'm not sure what the "National Post" is or why this is just now appearing on their site, but this story is 16 months old.
The National Post is a Toronto based Canadian paper newspaper. Slightly to the right politically. A quick Google shows that they are not the only one that picked up this article at this time (though most seem to be in the same newspaper chain). This period of the year used to be called the Silly_SeasonWP in the newspaper business. So maybe someone just had some space ti fill.

The source appears to be this: https://www.wlbt.com/2019/04/11/mash...neighborhoods/

Old 17th August 2020, 06:16 PM   #19
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Don't be mean... Mike! is a little slow.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2020, 06:28 PM   #20
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Don't be mean... Mike! is a little slow.
I don't check dates on stories, I save that trouble for food stuffs that could turn against me with time.
And speaking of food and the ISF, hey, how could I resist posting any story involving Mystery Mashed Potatoes?
I have to guess, given the lack of a follow up in the past sixteen months, that the Mystery Masher is still at large.

Honestly.
So what if I'm slow? Somebody has to set the low bar so others here can look smarter.
And I'm just the man for that job!

Last edited by Mike!; 17th August 2020 at 06:33 PM. Reason: eighteen, sixteen, seriously, who's really counting?
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2020, 07:08 PM   #21
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
I don't check dates on stories, I save that trouble for food stuffs that could turn against me with time.
And speaking of food and the ISF, hey, how could I resist posting any story involving Mystery Mashed Potatoes?
I have to guess, given the lack of a follow up in the past sixteen months, that the Mystery Masher is still at large.

Honestly.
So what if I'm slow? Somebody has to set the low bar so others here can look smarter.
And I'm just the man for that job!
If you've got it, flaunt it! (Moms Mabley?)
Old 17th August 2020, 08:06 PM   #22
Wolrab
Illuminator

If anyone should set the bar low it's me.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2020, 09:03 PM   #23
Sherman Bay
Master Poster

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
If you've got it, flaunt it! (Moms Mabley?)
Zero Mostel.
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2020, 10:00 PM   #24
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

Okay, old news, but WHO LEFT THE POTATOES?!

*Parrot Mason's mask courtesy of alfaniner*
MoeFaux is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2020, 10:03 PM   #25
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

It's Mysteee-eee-eeerious.

You have to wiggle your fingers when you say that.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2020, 10:15 PM   #26
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Second wave?

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2020, 10:56 PM   #27
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cat Not Included View Post
Oh dear...isn't this disturbingly reminiscent of how Attack of the Killer Tomatoes started?

Oh, wait... that wasn't tomatoes was it?

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2020, 01:01 AM   #28
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Warning! White middle-aged people dancing!
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events