ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags border walls , donald trump , immigration issues , Trump controversies

Old 17th March 2019, 05:51 PM   #563
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I would be cautious quoting anything the NYT, Time, Newsweek, NPR or anything from the left media. Their agenda is to turn America brown again. But a wall along the border won't do anything unless the United States is willing to enforce the immigration laws that are already on the books. We should try that first. If that doesn't work then we can try the Israeli option.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2019, 05:55 PM   #564
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
I would be cautious quoting anything the NYT, Time, Newsweek, NPR or anything from the left media. Their agenda is to turn America brown again. But a wall along the border won't do anything unless the United States is willing to enforce the immigration laws that are already on the books. We should try that first. If that doesn't work then we can try the Israeli option.
Can't have that, can we.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2019, 06:22 PM   #565
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Can't have that, can we.

Certainly not again. It took us a couple of centuries to put them all down the first time.

Don't want to waste all that hard work.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2019, 08:28 PM   #566
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Pretty literal NIMBY for borderland owners. Not that I disagree with them.
The term "NIMBY" is usually used for something that will benefit others while potentially harming you if you are close to it. Doesn't really apply here.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2019, 08:35 PM   #567
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Do you think that there needs to be some sort of border security for the US?

Chris B.
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2019, 08:50 PM   #568
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Do you think that there needs to be some sort of border security for the US?

Chris B.
Are you suggesting the Dems think there should not be? And is this a purely binary situation for you? (a) Trump's beautiful 40-foot concrete wall, or (b) Nothing at all except a welcome sign?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2019, 08:59 PM   #569
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Are you suggesting the Dems think there should not be? And is this a purely binary situation for you? (a) Trump's beautiful 40-foot concrete wall, or (b) Nothing at all except a welcome sign?
That's exactly how Trump loyalists are framing it. Trumpanzees want a wall. Democrats want open borders. They don't care if it's a lie, they will still say it.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2019, 09:04 PM   #570
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

To Trump loyalists, there is an invasion happening. It's been happening for decades. They see their white privileged, culture threatened by a multicultural society that accepts people of all sizes, races, cultures, genders, and sexual orientation. This is what their wall is about, this is their national emergency.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2019, 09:07 PM   #571
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
To Trump loyalists, there is an invasion happening. It's been happening for decades. They see their white privileged, culture threatened by a multicultural society that accepts people of all sizes, races, cultures, genders, and sexual orientation. This is what their wall is about, this is their national emergency.
They are trying to make the whole USA into their own gated community? Seriously??
Old 17th March 2019, 09:24 PM   #572
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Pretty literal NIMBY for borderland owners. Not that I disagree with them.
So you think the rest of us need said wall and these guys just don't like it?

Couldn't possibly be they have a front row seat to the faux emergency?
Old 17th March 2019, 09:25 PM   #573
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I strongly suggest you stop drinking that koolaid before you get a toxic dose. You're already exhibiting symptoms.
Old 18th March 2019, 12:04 AM   #574
Lurch
Muse

I'm at times ashamed to be white. The fearful members of my tribe here in North America need to have it pounded into their skulls that they are the progeny of an invading horde of illegal immigrants who displaced and slaughtered the indigenous peoples on an almost genocidal scale.

Now they have the hypocritical temerity to claim that they are under seige. Even though the current crop of immigrants are demonstrably *at least* as peaceful as they.

The unmitigated gall of that lot of privileged, hateful, selfish, un-Christian (for that is what most *claim* to be) ingrates disgusts me. To the point that I derive some joy from their futile alarm at the browning of the white lands.

Last edited by Lurch; 18th March 2019 at 12:05 AM.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 12:17 AM   #575
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
I'm at times ashamed to be white. ...
I'm not. Those white supremacists don't represent me.
Old 18th March 2019, 12:24 AM   #576
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Yes...only trust FOX News, Breitbart, and Infowars because they've earned the reputation for being fair and balanced. All else is Fake News. Their agenda is to Make America White Again...well...except for the brown people needed to pick our produce, clean our homes and mow our lawns.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 03:26 AM   #577
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
The term "NIMBY" is usually used for something that will benefit others while potentially harming you if you are close to it. Doesn't really apply here.
I'm not criticizing the objections of the landowners. I'm just pointing out that it's a literal application of "Not In My Back Yard". It's an ever so slightly humorous aside, not anything more.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 03:28 AM   #578
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

So you think the rest of us need said wall and these guys just don't like it?

Couldn't possibly be they have a front row seat to the faux emergency?
I said I don't disagree with the expressed sentiment. Geez Louise.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 06:11 AM   #579
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

I'm not. Those white supremacists don't represent me.
Exactly
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 06:16 AM   #580
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

I was just asking Ginger if she thought we should have some border security. Some think the borders should be removed.

Chris B.
Old 18th March 2019, 07:03 AM   #581
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post

There was a comic strip I saw recently, using crude stick figures. I'll see if I can reproduce it with Alt-Codes.

☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺-Acceptable
☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☻-Forced diversity
☺☺☺☺☺☺☻☻-White genocide
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 07:35 AM   #582
sackett
Philosopher

It's hard to express anything simply enough on this forum to avoid having it twisted -- "screwed up" is a telling Britishism -- into a monkey's head knot by one or more of our career objectors.

Trumb's wall? A crude boondoggle, meant only to shovel money into his pals' pockets, and his. They won't even bother with laundering it.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 09:11 AM   #583
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post

Eminent Domain property seizure could certainly be viewed as a form of harm, especially when the one whose property is being seized is doing the viewing.

I don't think NIMBY is all that far fetched.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 18th March 2019 at 09:15 AM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 09:12 AM   #584
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

They are trying to make the whole USA into their own gated community? Seriously??

They're going to need a lot more wall.

Old 18th March 2019, 09:15 AM   #585
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Most (at least 3/4ths from eyeballing the map, I didn't bother to count) border counties went Blue in the Presidential election of 2018 and of the border states one is going to go Democratic outside of some outside the even most insane realm of speculation and the other is going to go Republican outside of some outside the even most insane realm of speculation so basically from Trump's perspective the only political capital that isn't pure "talking point" being put at risk by "The Wall" are a few low population counties in Arizona and New Mexico.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 09:45 AM   #586
beren
Graduate Poster

I was just asking Ginger if she thought we should have some border security. Some think the borders should be removed.

Chris B.
Who thinks that? Please be specific.
Old 18th March 2019, 09:58 AM   #587
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by beren View Post
I believe I've seen a couple of posts to the effect that open borders are a good thing here on ISF, but I couldn't produce links to them or remember who the poster was. It's a very minority view, supported by no national politician I could name, and I've no reason to think that Skeptic Ginger is in that camp.

Perhaps Chris is asking an innocent question to clarify SG's position. It does seem like a leap, given the post which prompted the question (she merely pointed out that those on the Texas/Mexico border are opposed to the wall and it seems she is too), but it's harmless enough on its own. Better to ask such a question than to presume anyone opposed to the wall is opposed to all border security, I suppose.
Old 18th March 2019, 10:03 AM   #588
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Since the Schegan is a thing I think we can safely assume the "Somebody somewhere thinks open borders are a thing that probably exists" variable.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 10:10 AM   #589
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Since the Schegan is a thing I think we can safely assume the "Somebody somewhere thinks open borders are a thing that probably exists" variable.
"Schengen"?
Old 18th March 2019, 10:11 AM   #590
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by beren View Post
These People: https://noborderwalls.org/

Chris B.
Old 18th March 2019, 10:16 AM   #591
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"Schengen"?
Yeah forgot an N, sorry.
Old 18th March 2019, 10:16 AM   #592
beren
Graduate Poster

Chris B.
At a quick glance, I see no evidence on that site that supports your claim that "Some think the borders should be removed."

Opposing the building of a wall does not equate to removing the border itself.

1. Stopping something from happening is not removing it.
2. Borders and walls are not the same thing anyway.
Old 18th March 2019, 10:17 AM   #593
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Wrong.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 10:18 AM   #594
beren
Graduate Poster

I believe I've seen a couple of posts to the effect that open borders are a good thing here on ISF, but I couldn't produce links to them or remember who the poster was. It's a very minority view, supported by no national politician I could name, and I've no reason to think that Skeptic Ginger is in that camp.

Perhaps Chris is asking an innocent question to clarify SG's position. It does seem like a leap, given the post which prompted the question (she merely pointed out that those on the Texas/Mexico border are opposed to the wall and it seems she is too), but it's harmless enough on its own. Better to ask such a question than to presume anyone opposed to the wall is opposed to all border security, I suppose.
Yeah, in fact, I have made posts that are close to what he describes. In a perfect world I see no purpose for borders, but I also realize we are not in a perfect world and they are a necessity.

That said, he has no idea what he is talking about, and your point about SG and National Politicians is exactly what I was hoping to get at.
Old 18th March 2019, 10:18 AM   #595
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Chris B.
That site seems to oppose a border wall. I didn't see any indication they are opposed to border security in toto.

Given this response, I guess I have to withdraw my previous semi-defense of Chris's question. He seems to think that there are two alternatives: Trump's wall or no border security at all. If you're opposed to the wall, then you're opposed to border security.

He's welcome to correct me, but that link sure does suggest this interpretation.
Old 18th March 2019, 10:18 AM   #596
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

You don't disagree but you still labeled it NIMBY.

I don't think NIMBY is the issue. That implies it is only the location that is the problem: yes we need a wall, just not here.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 18th March 2019 at 10:20 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 10:22 AM   #597
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

You don't disagree but you still labeled it NIMBY.

I don't think NIMBY is the issue. That implies it is only the location that is the problem.
Oh, for God's sake, I labeled it NIMBY because it is a literal case of "Not In My Back Yard". I was explicitly not using NIMBY in the traditional, pejorative sense.

Give it a rest. Save your righteous indignation for appropriate targets.

ETA: Of course location is not the only problem. Duh. There are many good reasons for opposing Trump's wall. I have said so repeatedly, though not in the post that pulled your hair trigger because that post was just a simple, innocent observation that land owners are objecting, in part, to the construction of a wall on their property, loosely, their back yards.

Last edited by phiwum; 18th March 2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 18th March 2019, 10:24 AM   #598
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
It's hard to express anything simply enough on this forum to avoid having it twisted -- "screwed up" is a telling Britishism -- into a monkey's head knot by one or more of our career objectors.
Am I supposed to be one of the career objectors?

I explained my objection, care to address the explanation rather than the "twisted" version of it?

Trumb's wall? A crude boondoggle, meant only to shovel money into his pals' pockets, and his. They won't even bother with laundering it.
I don't object to this, I think it's about right. I think we need to see who Trump is paying for said wall and make it public.
Old 18th March 2019, 10:27 AM   #599
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Indeed.
Old 18th March 2019, 10:34 AM   #600
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I was appalled that Democratic Representative Gutierrez was for open borders. I believe he is the only one I saw with that POV.

Obviously it is not the common view of the Democrats but the right-wing, including Trump, have been repeating the lie so often they believe it no matter how many times it is refuted.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics