IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , political speculation

Old 6th December 2016, 06:04 PM   #1001
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I like President Pussy Grabber, it's catchier.
Except that it doesn't convey that he raped his first wife.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2016, 06:12 PM   #1002
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Nero?
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2016, 09:07 PM   #1003
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

In the spirit of the thread title, there are plenty of rumors flying about Donald and Ivanka Trump's meeting with Al Gore. The right wing radio yappers were very nervous about it.
Old 7th December 2016, 05:08 PM   #1004
Marcus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Do we automatically believe Ivana though? I'm not sure that I trust her any more than The Donald. She presented the story during a divorce deposition while asking for millions of dollars, and elaborated on it in a tell all book also designed to generate income. That doesn't necessarily mean it's false, just that I don't think we should assume that it's true.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2016, 11:55 AM   #1005
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Do we automatically believe Ivana though? I'm not sure that I trust her any more than The Donald. She presented the story during a divorce deposition while asking for millions of dollars, and elaborated on it in a tell all book also designed to generate income. That doesn't necessarily mean it's false, just that I don't think we should assume that it's true.
She also restated it as she was supporting him for president. She tried to couch it as not legal rape, just having sex with her against her will.

Which you might recognize as still legally rape.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2016, 12:22 PM   #1006
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Actually, as I understand it, she apparently told others of the incident before the divorce then later minimized it, presumably to get on with her life.

You can believe her or not. I do. Given the vile things we know he has said about women since, it's surprising that anyone would disbelieve her.

And it's not like she needed the extra oomph to get what she wanted out of the divorce, given that he was openly having an affair with the woman who would become his second wife.

Last edited by Babbylonian; 8th December 2016 at 12:26 PM.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2016, 12:24 PM   #1007
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
She also restated it as she was supporting him for president. She tried to couch it as not legal rape, just having sex with her against her will.

Which you might recognize as still legally rape.
More importantly, it would still morally be rape given any moral framework that does not regard wives as chattel.
Old 8th December 2016, 12:30 PM   #1008
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

More importantly, it would still morally be rape given any moral framework that does not regard wives as chattel.
Ergo, the alt-right does not consider it rape.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2016, 09:47 PM   #1009
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

I like President Pussy Grabber, it's catchier.
I like Unregistered Sex Offender at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2016, 04:46 AM   #1010
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

But was spousal rape legal at the time?
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2016, 06:23 AM   #1011
Tero
Master Poster

Medicare to be ruined as well as Obamacare:
http://www.salon.com/2016/12/12/obam...-possible-way/

When will they learn? Republicans never give you anything except tax breaks if you make enough. The "poor" may pay little tax but the loss in benefits denies any of their kids a brighter future.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2016, 07:02 AM   #1012
Marcus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
No, only before 1984, IIRC.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2016, 07:03 AM   #1013
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

No, only before 1984, IIRC.
The last state to exempt it was in 1993.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2016, 07:23 AM   #1014
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Whatever happened to presumption of innocence?

Or does that get waived if you don't like someone?
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2016, 07:31 AM   #1015
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Whatever happened to presumption of innocence? Or does that get waived if you don't like someone?
Yes, people can be so cruel!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Glenn Beck Crying.jpg (47.4 KB, 4 views)
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2016, 08:12 AM   #1016
Marcus
Illuminator

Marital rape was legal in New York until 1984. http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...ntil-1984.html
Old 12th December 2016, 08:14 AM   #1017
Marcus
Illuminator

Whatever happened to presumption of innocence?

Or does that get waived if you don't like someone?
Presumption of innocence is for a court of law. That said, I personally am not sure if he or Ivana is telling the truth.
Old 12th December 2016, 08:20 AM   #1018
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

That said, I personally am not sure if he or Ivana is telling the truth.
That's what makes "He said...She said..." cases so difficult to prosecute.

Plus, "We've role-played rape scenarios before, and I thought that's what this was" is not an unreasonable defense.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2016, 11:00 AM   #1019
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Why would Democrats have any reason to be polite to the party that elected someone as rude and nasty as Donsld Trump?
That's not what I'm asking. Did you read fuelair's post? He appears to be saying that republicans started the "nastiness" by referring to it as the "Democrat Party" instead of the "Democratic Party". He appears to be using that as justification for referring to them as "republickers". I'm asking if he sees those terms as being comparable insults.
Old 14th December 2016, 09:45 AM   #1020
kmortis
Biomechanoid
Director of IDIOCY (Region 13)
Administrator

Mod WarningThe discussion about the phrase "Democrat Party" has been moved to its own thread. Please discuss it there as it's off topic here.

thank you and have a nice day.
Posted By:kmortis
- Aberhaten's Apothegm™ - An Internet law that states that optimism is indistinguishable from sarcasm
kmortis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2016, 10:12 AM   #1021
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

When it comes to Trump and what sort of president he will be, he's starting out just like I would expect.

He has started an ill considered rift between the White House and intelligence agencies even before he took office.

He thinks he's "a smart guy", so he doesn't need no stinking intelligence briefings.

He is filling his cabinet with billionaire donors. Hardly a "swamp drainer" in sight.

He has sent out tweets without sufficient thought that affected, at least short term, the stock prices of Lockheed and Boeing.

During a period when most people think they really need to be working hard to get ready to take on a very difficult job, he has gone on an ego-stroking "victory tour".

He has claimed that his squeaking in on a technicality, with an electoral college margin that is in the bottom 1/4 of historical margins, a "landslide victory".

Who knows? Maybe this will all work out well. I guess we'll see. So far, though, he's acting exactly as I would have expected him to act. He is using his position to inflate his own ego. I really wish that guy didn't have an army at his command.
Old 14th December 2016, 10:38 AM   #1022
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

In agreement, up to...
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post

He has claimed that his squeaking in on a technicality...
Name said "technicality".
Old 14th December 2016, 10:42 AM   #1023
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

In agreement, up to...

The Electoral College.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2016, 10:47 AM   #1024
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
When it comes to Trump and what sort of president he will be, he's starting out just like I would expect.

He has started an ill considered rift between the White House and intelligence agencies even before he took office.

He thinks he's "a smart guy", so he doesn't need no stinking intelligence briefings.

He is filling his cabinet with billionaire donors. Hardly a "swamp drainer" in sight.
Exactly donors not lobbyists. He is cutting out the middlemen.
Quote:
He has sent out tweets without sufficient thought that affected, at least short term, the stock prices of Lockheed and Boeing.
Or thought it through and was able to make a killing on the drop.
Old 14th December 2016, 10:50 AM   #1025
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
The Electoral College.
Hardly a "technicality". It's the recognized system in place for determining the result of U.S. elections.

And Trump won that election. Like it or not*. And not due to some imagined "technicality".

*And I don't like it.
Old 14th December 2016, 12:41 PM   #1026
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

And Trump won that election. Like it or not*. And not due to some imagined "technicality".

Since the Electoral College vote has not actually taken place yet, do you have some sort of crystal ball or time machine that allows you to travel to the future to see the outcome of that election?
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2016, 12:58 PM   #1027
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
Since the Electoral College vote has not actually taken place yet, do you have some sort of crystal ball or time machine that allows you to travel to the future to see the outcome of that election?
Let's just say the odds of the EC voting against him are slim, not only historically, but also considering the possible consequences.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2016, 01:22 PM   #1028
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Let's just say the odds of the EC voting against him are slim, not only historically, but also considering the possible consequences.
Yeah, the push to have the EC override the vote actually worries me. I believe there would be substantial civil unrest, and potentially violence, if the EC did so.
Old 14th December 2016, 01:26 PM   #1029
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Yeah, the push to have the EC override the vote actually worries me. I believe there would be substantial civil unrest, and potentially violence, if the EC did so.
Yep. Trump supporters were gearing up for war prior to the election, after all.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2016, 01:52 PM   #1030
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

That said, I personally am not sure if he or Ivana is telling the truth.
Has he ever addressed the issue?

I've heard his attorney claiming that it was impossible for a husband to rape his wife. (He was wrong.)

Can someone point to trump addressing the issue?

Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2016, 02:13 PM   #1031
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

I've heard his attorney claiming that it was impossible for a husband to rape his wife. (He was wrong.)

Surely if it's not true, he must have sued anyone who repeated the accusation over the years. Given the many completely unjustifiable lawsuits he's threatened, it stands to reason that he would file [at least] one over this since such a cause of action would actually make sense...if it was a lie.
Old 14th December 2016, 02:26 PM   #1032
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
Different issue. I think it started with him "squeaking in on a technicality", which I assumed was past tense.

To say that technically he has not yet won the electoral vote is pedantic at best.
Old 14th December 2016, 02:41 PM   #1033
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Not only that, but what happens if a monster wins the popular vote? Without the EC, you have nothing to prevent him from taking office.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2016, 04:10 PM   #1034
Marcus
Illuminator

Trump has denied it numerous times, while Ivana recanted it saying she was not raped "in a literal or criminal sense"

https://theintercept.com/2016/06/30/...-what-rape-is/

http://gawker.com/the-time-donald-tr...lly-1721129617

http://fusion.net/story/328522/donal...exual-assault/
Old 14th December 2016, 04:27 PM   #1035
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
He used to be a Democrat, the Republican establishment fought against him, and just because he draws the racist vote doesn't mean he will be a racist president.

He may turn out to be a centrist who can get things done.
that could be true...

he is a tweeter bully - the guy who did not go far after high school, but still has a life - I can't believe anyone voted for someone who lies so much, but I guess we all love those BS artists we grew up with

I love the way he blasts companies, too bad I don't have the massive bucks to cash in on the tweets which lower stocks, and then they rise... Trump is a day traders dream, with lots of rain

I was going to tweet back to trump, but I don't want the FBI, IRS, et al coming to my door
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2016, 04:49 PM   #1036
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by beachnut View Post
that could be true...

he is a tweeter bully - the guy who did not go far after high school, but still has a life - I can't believe anyone voted for someone who lies so much, but I guess we all love those BS artists we grew up with

I love the way he blasts companies, too bad I don't have the massive bucks to cash in on the tweets which lower stocks, and then they rise... Trump is a day traders dream, with lots of rain

I was going to tweet back to trump, but I don't want the FBI, IRS, et al coming to my door
Hmm...

We could get a small group together and pool money for investment, then see if we could bait Trump into bashing/praising companies so we could profit. We could target companies with small stock values to maximize our profits from price changes.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2016, 04:55 PM   #1037
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Trump has denied it numerous times, while Ivana recanted it saying she was not raped "in a literal or criminal sense"

https://theintercept.com/2016/06/30/...-what-rape-is/

http://gawker.com/the-time-donald-tr...lly-1721129617

http://fusion.net/story/328522/donal...exual-assault/
Thanks. It is interesting that only one of those articles mentions that he denies it and even then it doesn't include his denial. I wonder if he has ever publicly denied it in his own words or only addressed it through his attorneys.

Also, Ivana's statement that Trump's attorneys required for the book still makes it clear that he violated her. So, does he deny it was rape or deny that the incident happened? His attorney denied it was rape, until he was corrected on the legal issue of marital rape. Was Ivana fed similar legal advice when she made that statement?

Old 14th December 2016, 05:00 PM   #1038
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Hmm...

We could get a small group together and pool money for investment, then see if we could bait Trump into bashing/praising companies so we could profit. We could target companies with small stock values to maximize our profits from price changes.
XOM made a bit of a jump based on Tillerson being considered for SoS. It is coming back down, but it was up more than 3% for most of yesterday compared to pre-announcement.

Old 14th December 2016, 07:20 PM   #1039
Marcus
Illuminator

Thanks. It is interesting that only one of those articles mentions that he denies it and even then it doesn't include his denial. I wonder if he has ever publicly denied it in his own words or only addressed it through his attorneys.

Also, Ivana's statement that Trump's attorneys required for the book still makes it clear that he violated her. So, does he deny it was rape or deny that the incident happened? His attorney denied it was rape, until he was corrected on the legal issue of marital rape. Was Ivana fed similar legal advice when she made that statement?
Here's a story of Ivana denying she accused him of rape http://www.politico.com/story/2015/0...y-beast-120721

Here is a report claiming he denied it:

Trump previously denied the allegation, including the scalp surgery. “It’s obviously false,” Donald Trump reportedly said in 1993. “It’s incorrect and done by a guy without much talent … He is a guy that is an unattractive guy who is a vindictive and jealous person.” Trump’s legal counsel told the Daily Beast that Ivana was talking about how “she felt raped emotionally … She was not referring to it [as] a criminal matter, and not in its literal sense, though there’s many literal senses to the word.” http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/10/all-...l-assault.html

Of course all these reports are reporting lots of other unsavory incidents, so the alleged rape of Ivana is only one problem in his past.
Old 14th December 2016, 08:17 PM   #1040
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

In agreement, up to...

Maybe "technicality" isn't the right word, but I think you get the point.

He barely won the election. In fact, he didn't even have as many votes as his opponent. He didn't have a majority of votes. His electoral margin was quite low compared to the historical average.

So I was calling his Electoral College victory a "technicality" in the sense that it follows the letter of the law, but when you think about winning elections, you usually think about getting more votes than the other guy. Trump didn't. Maybe there's a better word than "technicality".

The real point is that it is in no sense a landslide, but Trump is calling it a landslide. As with so many Trumpisms, I have to wonder. Is it marketing/propaganda/lying, or is he delusional and thinks he really got a mandate from the American people?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics