IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , political speculation

Old 15th December 2016, 05:51 AM   #1041
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Maybe "technicality" isn't the right word, but I think you get the point...
Nice explanation/clarification.

Now we're back to 100% agreement!

Enjoy it while you can!

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 15th December 2016 at 05:53 AM.
Fast Eddie B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2016, 05:54 AM   #1042
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Yeah, the push to have the EC override the vote actually worries me. I believe there would be substantial civil unrest, and potentially violence, if the EC did so.
Exactly which is why we need to get rid of it. It can no longer do the purpose it was intended for so what purpose does it serve?
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2016, 06:01 AM   #1043
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, the push to have the EC override the vote actually worries me. I believe there would be substantial civil unrest, and potentially violence, if the EC did so.
I think there are enough calm people like us that can rationally explain the rules to any agitated to defuse any tension.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 15th December 2016 at 06:04 AM.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 03:23 PM   #1044
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Exactly which is why we need to get rid of it. It can no longer do the purpose it was intended for so what purpose does it serve?
It has ill served us for a very long time. As have the state reaping undeserved power and influence from it. I am for them withering since they are the heart of the religion they makes so much trouble here.

I know good Christians and like them, but the conservative ones who want to rule like Sharia - and I mean the xtians who want the US to be that way -- are useless and evil.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 03:40 PM   #1045
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Override what vote? Clinton won the popular vote by over 2 million votes; the largest margin in history for any candidate who did not win the EC vote. Is that the vote you're talking about overriding? Because that is what would happen if the EC votes to elect Trump.

But the EC has yet to vote, so that may change. A slim chance, but far from an impossible one.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 04:06 PM   #1046
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe "technicality" isn't the right word, but I think you get the point.

He barely won the election. In fact, he didn't even have as many votes as his opponent. He didn't have a majority of votes. His electoral margin was quite low compared to the historical average.

So I was calling his Electoral College victory a "technicality" in the sense that it follows the letter of the law, but when you think about winning elections, you usually think about getting more votes than the other guy. Trump didn't. Maybe there's a better word than "technicality".

The real point is that it is in no sense a landslide, but Trump is calling it a landslide. As with so many Trumpisms, I have to wonder. Is it marketing/propaganda/lying, or is he delusional and thinks he really got a mandate from the American people?
Trump carried 30 out of 50 states, winning the popular vote in each of them. And even though our election system is heavily weighted in favor of the more populous states, and even though some the most populous states went for Hillary, she couldn't win the popular votes in enough states to get elected.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 04:09 PM   #1047
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Then we should get rid of it before the next election, not after the previous one. It's not right to change the rules after the game has been scored.
Old 16th December 2016, 04:44 PM   #1048
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Trump carried 30 out of 50 states, winning the popular vote in each of them. And even though our election system is heavily weighted in favor of the more populous states, and even though some the most populous states went for Hillary, she couldn't win the popular votes in enough states to get elected.
Yes and he won lots of counties and blah, blah, blah.

1. It was not, by any definition, a landslide.
2. Donald Trump says it was a landslide.

Are Trump's statements marketing/propaganda/lies, or are they delusions? The jury is still out.
Old 16th December 2016, 04:48 PM   #1049
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

In terms of each human being's weighted share of influence, it's the other way around, actually.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 16th December 2016 at 04:49 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 05:25 PM   #1050
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

But that's the problem with the EC system. Anything over what's needed to win a state's electoral votes are "wasted" because they don't have any effect. Clinton won heavily populated states by a wide margin, and those are the people not represented by the Boy King's win -- effectively disenfranchised by the undemocratic nature of the EC.

(ETA: This: "And even though our election system is heavily weighted in favor of the more populous states..." is simply backwards.)

Last edited by WilliamSeger; 16th December 2016 at 05:29 PM.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 06:14 PM   #1051
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

I'd like to think Trump won't be so bad. But I'm pretty sure he will be.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 07:08 PM   #1052
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

I've got one of his "Thank You" Rallies right now - Orlando - streaming in a window while I play some online chess.

Any forced optimism I was trying to nurture is really on its last legs.

Really.

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 16th December 2016 at 07:10 PM.
Fast Eddie B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 07:36 PM   #1053
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I've got one of his "Thank You" Rallies right now - Orlando - streaming in a window while I play some online chess.

Any forced optimism I was trying to nurture is really on its last legs.

Really.
This "thank you tour" kind of creeps me out.

Is there anything remotely like it in US history?

There have been a couple of kind of over the top coronation inauguration preparation things. I remember there was some sort of January 19th thing where Bill Clinton was on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. I thought that was kind of creepy, but at least that was all part of stretching a ceremony into a two or three day party. That's not too bad.

Of course candidates, including sitting presidents running for reelection, hold rallies, and sometimes a president will go on a tour that includes things that are suspiciously like rallies when they are trying to push some sort of "centerpiece" legislation. They make big speeches to large halls, or hold a town hall with lots of press coverage, or something like that.

But, this sort of rally? I can't think of anything like it.

Well, if I thought real hard I might be able to come up with something a tiny little bit like it, but I don't think it would be a comforting thought.
Old 16th December 2016, 08:13 PM   #1054
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I'd like to think Trump won't be so bad. But I'm pretty sure he will be.
Yes - he has already shown it!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 08:14 PM   #1055
fuelair
Banned

and blown it. Just for some Putin rootin' as he bends over and takes it in the end!!!!!
Old 17th December 2016, 01:13 AM   #1056
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
It has ill served us for a very long time. As have the states reaping undeserved power and influence from it. I am for them withering since they are the heart of the religion they makes so much trouble here.

I know good Christians and like them, but the conservative ones who want to rule like Sharia - and I mean the xtians who want the US to be that way -- are useless and evil.
Edited to fix state to states.
Old 17th December 2016, 08:53 AM   #1057
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Then we should get rid of it before the next election, not after the previous one. It's not right to change the rules after the game has been scored.
That's one way to look at it.

Another is to say that we have an Electoral College. Of what purpose is it if not as a safeguard against extraordinary circumstances, such as when a foreign power interferes with our elections?
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2016, 09:49 AM   #1058
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Well, if I thought real hard I might be able to come up with something a tiny little bit like it, but I don't think it would be a comforting thought.
Something like this?
Old 17th December 2016, 10:49 AM   #1059
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

The Boy King spent nearly a half-hour of his latest "**** You Tour" speech reliving election night, talking about himself in the third person by mocking the reporters' announcements of the results. A half-hour. Anyone who doesn't expect his Narcissistic Personality Disorder to be the defining characteristic of his administration is betting against heavy odds.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2016, 11:15 AM   #1060
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Some people noted that Trump's constant repetition was a form of hypnotism. So this bit from the victory rally is interesting:

Originally Posted by Donald J. Trump
"You people were vicious, violent, screaming, 'Where's the wall? We want the wall!' Screaming, 'Prison! Prison! Lock her up!' I mean you are going crazy. I mean, you were nasty and mean and vicious and you wanted to win, right? But now, you're mellow and you're cool and you're not nearly as vicious or violent, right? Because we won, right?"
Then again:
Originally Posted by Donald J. Trump
"Now you're laid back, you're cool, you're mellow, you're basking in the glory of victory ...
To which they responded, "Lock her up." Then someone threw an empty water bottle at a reporter.

The cadences here sound a bit like guided imagery - like he's trying to calm them down. Will he be able to? I didn't watch the rally so I don't know how these lines were delivered. I think of those people he's met with - Paul Ryan and Mitt Romney come to mind - who ended up gushing after talking to Trump. He's able to charm them into a pliant state, but it doesn't last forever. For example, I'm sure Romney is pretty much over it ...
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2016, 12:33 PM   #1061
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
The Boy King spent nearly a half-hour of his latest "**** You Tour" speech reliving election night, talking about himself in the third person by mocking the reporters' announcements of the results. A half-hour. Anyone who doesn't expect his Narcissistic Personality Disorder to be the defining characteristic of his administration is betting against heavy odds.
I took note of that.

Bending over backwards, I was almost ready to forgive him all his words and actions leading up to the election, on the basis that it was all just tactics to achieve a specific goal.

But if that was the case, the goal has been achieved. It would seem to be time to shift gears, now that the dog has caught the car, so to speak.

But no. That half hour was nothing but bombastic and sarcastic boasting, to no real end - not even the "thank you" that the tour was supposed to be themed upon.

Like I said, quite disheartening.
Old 17th December 2016, 08:58 PM   #1062
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
In terms of each human being's weighted share of influence, it's the other way around, actually.
It's supposed to be one person, one vote, not one acre, one vote.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2016, 09:40 PM   #1063
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

And now there's the "We should tell China to keep the drone" tweet.

Words could not do justice to the stupidity of this idiot that 46% of the American people voted for.

ETA: And the scary thing is, he's not actually stupid, in the literal sense of the word. He has brains. He's just so incredibly childish.

He may indeed be a centrist, as the OP speculated about, and the US is so much bigger than one man, even if that one man is President, but still I wish that we had someone in power who actually paid attention to the consequences of ill conceived actions. If he is indeed a centrist it will be because he bounces around all over the place, so he has to spend some time in the center.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 18th December 2016 at 09:46 PM.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2016, 09:46 AM   #1064
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Some people noted that Trump's constant repetition was a form of hypnotism. So this bit from the victory rally is interesting:
It just shows how shocked Trump is that anyone believed what he was saying. They took his Lock Her Up and Drain the Swamp as if they meant anything, when they meant no more than the calls for Russia to hack the state department or second amendment supporters to kill clinton.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2016, 09:38 PM   #1065
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

It just shows how shocked Trump is that anyone believed what he was saying. They took his Lock Her Up and Drain the Swamp as if they meant anything, when they meant no more than the calls for Russia to hack the state department or second amendment supporters to kill clinton.
Trump even admitted to his supporters, during his victory tour, that the "lock her up" line was nothing but a campaign slogan.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2016, 04:07 AM   #1066
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Trump even admitted to his supporters, during his victory tour, that the "lock her up" line was nothing but a campaign slogan.
And Drain the Swamp. They are all the same, be it asking the russians to hack, calling for the arrest or murder of his opponent, fighting corruption and building the wall. They are thrown out initially and he will repeat them if they get a good response. He doesn't mean any of them any more than any of the others.
Old 20th December 2016, 07:23 AM   #1067
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Aren't most all presidents like that. Our current president likes to use the word "I" an awful lot also.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2016, 07:28 AM   #1068
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
Aren't most all presidents like that. Our current president likes to use the word "I" an awful lot also.
No most presidents aren't.

Never noticed that Obama was using "I" an awful lot.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2016, 04:35 PM   #1069
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Words could not do justice to the stupidity of this idiot that 46% of the American people voted for.
No. 46% of the people who voted. Big difference.

Quote:
If he is indeed a centrist it will be because he bounces around all over the place, so he has to spend some time in the center.
"Centrists" don't pick a Cabinet full of neo-Nazis, science Deniers, and Big Business elites and Social Darwinists. Just sayin'...

Words fail in describing how incredibly stupid a person must be to spend an entire adult lifetime using the techniques of advertising to not understand how powerful they are...
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2016, 05:04 PM   #1070
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
now that the dog has caught the car
But the car ain't stopping, so the dog has 3 choices:-

1. Let go of the car, and be content with just barking at it.

2. Get in the car and be taken for a ride (to a place it doesn't want to go).

3. Keep hanging on and hope its doggy parts don't get scraped off on the road.

I'm hoping it chooses option 3...
Old 20th December 2016, 06:30 PM   #1071
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
If you didn't see the speech, you should try to find it and you'll see what I mean. No, this was the most unpresidential, undignified, excruciatingly long, pathetically self-aggrandizing "thank me" speech I have ever seen, guaranteed. NPD is not just having a big ego; he has needs that must be fullfilled, e.g. to be the center of attention and bask in the chanting adoration of the crowd. That's one reason why he's going to keep having rallies (although there is an obvious and more sinister reason).
Old 31st December 2020, 12:14 AM   #1072
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Mycroft, you frankly owe the forum an apology for that OP.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 12:24 AM   #1073
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Mycroft, you frankly owe the forum an apology for that OP.
An apology? Hell, he owes the forum his first born, the deed to his house, and his IRA.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 12:30 AM   #1074
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

The things we said to console ourselves. "Maybe it won't be so bad", the desperate rationalization of someone who knows they're in for something horrible.

I'm just incredibly grateful we didn't have to deal with another such shock in 2020. Thank heavens America voted him out.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 12:36 AM   #1075
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

To review:
Originally Posted by Mycroft
Maybe Trump will not be such a terrible president.
He used to be a Democrat, the Republican establishment fought against him, and just because he draws the racist vote doesn't mean he will be a racist president.

He may turn out to be a centrist who can get things done.
I don't think that calls for an apology, just a "my bad" or something equivalent.

Mycroft is around. He's bound to see we bumped the thread.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 31st December 2020 at 12:38 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 12:41 AM   #1076
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I still got some of my limbs, soooo...

could have been worse?!?
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 12:49 AM   #1077
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
An apology? Hell, he owes the forum his first born, the deed to his house, and his IRA.
Mycroft is actually Irish?!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 12:55 AM   #1078
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
The things we said to console ourselves. "Maybe it won't be so bad", the desperate rationalization of someone who knows they're in for something horrible.

I'm just incredibly grateful we didn't have to deal with another such shock in 2020. Thank heavens America voted him out.
Yes, tbf, I gave him (Trump) the benefit of the doubt for about half a day. And that was during the inauguration.

Also, at that point there wasn't a whole lot we could do about it.

Last edited by Elagabalus; 31st December 2020 at 12:59 AM.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 03:02 AM   #1079
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Why, of all places on earth, would you move to New Zealand? Seriously, besides the fact that people speak English, the country is very developed and rich it's really like moving to the moon.

It's in the middle of nowhere and there's nothing interesting going on there at all.
Two good reasons...

Quote:
Might as well move to Europe where at least something interesting happens
Anything 'interesting' happening in Sweden right now?
Old 31st December 2020, 08:37 AM   #1080
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

I don't blame Mycroft for wishful thinking, even though it was painfully obvious that Trump was a train wreck in the making.

If you look at posts from 2016, I doubt there was anyone here more alarmed by Trump than me. And whaddya know, he was far worse than I imagined. Its hard not to be numbed at this point, but this has been a truly demented, surreal, four year nightmare, revealing Hilary's basket of deplorables as a significant understatement.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics