IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Closed Thread
Old 13th June 2020, 09:38 PM   #3441
SezMe
post-pre-born

dup

Last edited by SezMe; 13th June 2020 at 09:39 PM.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th June 2020, 11:16 PM   #3442
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
We're abut half-way from February first and December 31. Is there a summary piece anywhere on where the negotiations stand? Is there mandatory, regular reporting so that UKers can know how it's going? Does the EU do any reporting on progress from their perspective?

Brexit just doesn't get much coverage here in the colonies lately. I just wonder how things are proceeding.
Negotiations are stalled. The UK is happy with a no deal so aren't really trying. There are rumours in the right wing media that the UK's hard line is just about to trigger a raft of unilateral concessions from the EU. Then again, they've been saying the same thing all along.

The only definitive statement from the UK government is that the transition period will not be extended under any circumstances.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th June 2020, 11:22 PM   #3443
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Is there mandatory, regular reporting so that UKers can know how it's going?
As I recall one of the first things this government did when it was returned with a decent majority was remove the requirement to report progress regularly to Parliament.
Old 13th June 2020, 11:35 PM   #3444
Explorer
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Negotiations are stalled. The UK is happy with a no deal so aren't really trying. There are rumours in the right wing media that the UK's hard line is just about to trigger a raft of unilateral concessions from the EU. Then again, they've been saying the same thing all along.

The only definitive statement from the UK government is that the transition period will not be extended under any circumstances.
Great approach by the UK. Treat our future trading partners as adversaries, be stubborn and arrogant, time limit the negotiations in the middle of a pandemic. I just wonder at what point soon Barnier will say just do one.
Explorer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 07:33 AM   #3445
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
Great approach by the UK. Treat our future trading partners as adversaries, be stubborn and arrogant, time limit the negotiations in the middle of a pandemic. I just wonder at what point soon Barnier will say just do one.
That's exactly what the UK government wants. That way they can have the no-deal the architects of Brexit want but can blame all negative consequences on Barnier's intransigence.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 09:05 AM   #3446
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
That's exactly what the UK government wants. That way they can have the no-deal the architects of Brexit want but can blame all negative consequences on Barnier's intransigence.
Isn't that exactly what people were being called paranoid or scaremongers for predicting over the last three years? Project Fear indeed.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 09:48 AM   #3447
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

We're abut half-way from February first and December 31. Is there a summary piece anywhere on where the negotiations stand? Is there mandatory, regular reporting so that UKers can know how it's going? Does the EU do any reporting on progress from their perspective?

Brexit just doesn't get much coverage here in the colonies lately. I just wonder how things are proceeding.

As planned.

Unfortunately.
Old 14th June 2020, 11:51 AM   #3448
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
Deputy Admin

Mod InfoPlease go here for the next instalment of this thread
Posted By:Agatha

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics