IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th March 2021, 06:18 AM   #1
Armitage72
Philosopher

Weird and Pointless Conspiracy Theories

Sometimes you encounter conspiracy theories that leave you wondering why anyone would bother.

During the most recent season of "Holiday Baking Championship" on Food Network, my mother disagreed with several decisions by the judges, including who ultimately won. She is now convinced that the competitions are rigged, with the producers deciding ahead of time who will win and instructing the judges to ignore any mistakes that person makes during the competition.
Her opinion is obviously the correct one. Three professional bakers who see and taste the items firsthand have a different opinion than a 75 year old woman who occasionally makes cakes and cookies and is only watching on TV, therefore all of the competitions are rigged.

There have been competitions where the producers clearly favored one of the competitors and gave them more attention. For example, Lenny McNab* the "gourmet chuckwagon cook" on Season Ten of "Next Food Network Star". In that case, the winner would have their own show and attract viewers and advertisers, so the network would have a vested interest in the winner, but that's not the case here. There's no reason to rig the results. It's just a matter of "I don't like the results, so it's fake."

What "trivial conspiracies" have people encountered?

*He ultimately didn't get a show, after racist and sexist blog posts were discovered, including attacks against a well established and very profitable Food Network chef. Oops.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2021, 07:24 AM   #2
Modified
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Sometimes you encounter conspiracy theories that leave you wondering why anyone would bother.

During the most recent season of "Holiday Baking Championship" on Food Network, my mother disagreed with several decisions by the judges, including who ultimately won. She is now convinced that the competitions are rigged, with the producers deciding ahead of time who will win and instructing the judges to ignore any mistakes that person makes during the competition.
Her opinion is obviously the correct one. Three professional bakers who see and taste the items firsthand have a different opinion than a 75 year old woman who occasionally makes cakes and cookies and is only watching on TV, therefore all of the competitions are rigged.

I don't know about that particular show, but in many cooking competition shows decisions are influenced by the producers, and this possibility is stated in a (text) disclaimer at the end of the show.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2021, 07:45 AM   #3
Armitage72
Philosopher

In the case of the episode that set her off, the person who eventually won made a cake that was underbaked, while the person who was eliminated made something that wasn't recognizable as a cake, being described by one judge as "a dessert pizza". It would be a tough decision between them.
Plus, she's now convinced that it's rigged from the start. Twelve competitors enter the kitchen and the producers tell the judges "We want Competitor #3 to win. Make sure it happens."

Last edited by Armitage72; 25th March 2021 at 07:58 AM.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2021, 09:17 AM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Honestly I think her theory is probably closer to the truth than the claimed competition process.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2021, 09:38 AM   #5
TheSupermeerkat
Muse

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Honestly I think her theory is probably closer to the truth than the claimed competition process.
Yes, in any live reality show I certainly think there is pressure to keep fan favourites in the show.
TheSupermeerkat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2021, 09:52 AM   #6
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
Yes, in any live reality show I certainly think there is pressure to keep fan favourites in the show.
I even think it's plausible that contestants are selected for the show with that in mind.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2021, 10:20 AM   #7
bknight
Master Poster

There have been competitions where the producers clearly favored one of the competitors and gave them more attention. For example, Lenny McNab* the "gourmet chuckwagon cook" on Season Ten of "Next Food Network Star". In that case, the winner would have their own show and attract viewers and advertisers, so the network would have a vested interest in the winner, but that's not the case here. There's no reason to rig the results. It's just a matter of "I don't like the results, so it's fake."

What "trivial conspiracies" have people encountered?

*He ultimately didn't get a show, after racist and sexist blog posts were discovered, including attacks against a well established and very profitable Food Network chef. Oops.
I would put in a vote for all CTs.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2021, 12:21 PM   #8
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not saying that Robert Menard being a Russian agent is a weird and pointless conspiracy theory. I'm just saying.
Old 25th March 2021, 02:25 PM   #9
Modified
Philosopher

Favorites and the most hated.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2021, 02:56 PM   #10
Galaxie
Muse

And if all the contestants are nice and get along, they will edit it in such a way as to create a villain
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2021, 02:24 AM   #11
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

"Paul is dead" and "Elvis is alive" have always struck me as particularly pointless. But, really, I'm struggling to think of any normal and productive conspiracy theories.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2021, 03:56 AM   #12
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

There have been game shows on TV that were rigged. So your mother may have a point.

Quote:
The American quiz show scandals of the 1950s were a series of revelations that contestants of several popular television quiz shows were secretly given assistance by show producers, to prearrange the outcome of ostensibly fair competitions. The 1950s quiz show scandals were driven by a variety of reasons, including greed, willing contestants, and the lack of regulations prohibiting such conspiracy in game show productions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1950s_quiz_show_scandals
Old 27th March 2021, 07:26 AM   #13
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

There are shows on TV that "help" people select and, maybe, buy a new home. Every single one (to the best of my knowledge) shows the people three houses. My wife and I were at the Toronto Home Show a couple of years ago where one of these shows had a booth. My wife asked, "Do you actually show the contestants more than three houses?" The answer was, "Yes".

It's called "Reality TV" because it isn't.
Old 27th March 2021, 08:53 AM   #14
arayder
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
There have been game shows on TV that were rigged. So your mother may have a point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1950s_quiz_show_scandals
I'm thinking if all the boxing matches that many claimed were fixed or rigged to advance ticket sales by maintaining a champion or keeping a popular contender in the ranks.

Some said Ali won a lot of decisions late in his career because he'd become a beloved champion the people (and the judges) wanted to see fight time and time again.

I've always thought Butterbean had no business in the ranks.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2021, 09:57 AM   #15
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
There are shows on TV that "help" people select and, maybe, buy a new home. Every single one (to the best of my knowledge) shows the people three houses. My wife and I were at the Toronto Home Show a couple of years ago where one of these shows had a booth. My wife asked, "Do you actually show the contestants more than three houses?" The answer was, "Yes".

It's well known that a firm requirement for appearing on "House Hunters" is that you already bought the house.
Old 27th March 2021, 10:41 AM   #16
arayder
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
It's well known that a firm requirement for appearing on "House Hunters" is that you already bought the house.
My wife follows these shows and she says the talk in the industry is that HGTV needs to refresh the brand. It's become a predictable formula of making an open space, putting in a kitchen island, pendant lighting and sticking a wire basket with a dozen lemons on the counter.

The New Yorker has an article on the subject in its March 29 issue.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2021, 01:31 PM   #17
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by arayder View Post
My wife follows these shows and she says the talk in the industry is that HGTV needs to refresh the brand. It's become a predictable formula of making an open space, putting in a kitchen island, pendant lighting and sticking a wire basket with a dozen lemons on the counter.

Iíve been in the hospital much of the last 3 months and watched way too much of those shows. Itís true.
Old 27th March 2021, 01:48 PM   #18
Steve
Philosopher

We keep a basket of lemons on our kitchen counter just in case a tv crew shows up. My wife calls it "being prepared".
Old 27th March 2021, 05:02 PM   #19
arayder
Graduate Poster

This genre started out as "This Old House". if I recall the shows were about all sorts of things from bad plumbing to weakly roofs to kitchen re-dos.

Ya' seen one HGTV show ya' see 'em all.
Old 27th March 2021, 05:44 PM   #20
arayder
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by gabeygoat View Post
Iíve been in the hospital much of the last 3 months and watched way too much of those shows. Itís true.
Hope and pray you are better now, gabeygoat.
Old 27th March 2021, 06:28 PM   #21
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

Hope and pray you are better now, gabeygoat.
Thank you! Getting better and better!
Old 27th March 2021, 07:10 PM   #22
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

This genre started out as "This Old House". if I recall the shows were about all sorts of things from bad plumbing to weakly roofs to kitchen re-dos.

I think the word we are looking for is formulaic.
Old 28th March 2021, 02:45 PM   #23
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

I think the weirdest conspiracy theory was that Elton John totally ripped off REO Speedwagon with "Candle in the Wind(ow)."
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2021, 10:54 AM   #24
arayder
Graduate Poster

I think the word we are looking for is formulaic.
This reminds me of all the old "Dog the Bounty Hunter" episodes that ended up with each apprehended bail jumper in the back of the suv having the same crying jag during which he cries out that he "can't go on like this" and then has a come to Jesus moment with Dog and his wife.
Old 5th April 2021, 10:31 AM   #25
Allen773
Graduate Poster

Courtney Love bumped off her husband.

Why, you ask? Good question!
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2021, 10:32 AM   #26
Allen773
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
I think the weirdest conspiracy theory was that Elton John totally ripped off REO Speedwagon with "Candle in the Wind(ow)."
And we know thatís wrong because no one would ever bother ripping off REO Speedwagon.
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2021, 10:53 AM   #27
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

American Idol is one which is commonly accused of being rigged. Speculators talk about vote rigging (less likely by my reckoning) and judges told who to praise (maybe--I've certainly seen my share of wondering if they saw the same performance I did). But one area not talked about much is manipulating by song choice.

The example that made me think hard about it was one where there was a nicely marketable young lady (and indeed talented--not taking anything away from her) who found herself in the last rounds challenged by a surprise audience favorite, a plus-sized, late-20s R&B singer who squeaked through the auditions, but then showed dramatic improvement and dedication, to where she was a top tier contender nearing the end. All of a sudden for two weeks in a row she performed trite R&B standards that everyone's heard a thousand times by a thousand singers... not much of a chance to stand out at all, though she nailed them as best as they could be nailed. Her vote totals faded and the more marketable performer took the win.

I can't say that I know for sure, but it seemed like a way to nudge the results without coaching the judges or playing with the vote counts.

gnome is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2021, 12:52 PM   #28
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

This is sort at the crossroads of "A Conspiracy Theory" and "The Mandela Effect" and but every so often some corner of the internet will get obsessed with identifying where the line "I wanted Sixteen Candles Molly Ringwald, not Pretty in Pink Molly Ringwald" comes from which a bunch of swearing they have heard the line in a movie or TV show but never figuring out where it came from.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2021, 01:01 PM   #29
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

I follow a Mandela Effect reddit because of my interest in urban legends, how a shared story (usually with no truth) will coalesce into something very specific. It's a little weird running into people that think secret organizations are manipulating reality, only to use that godlike power to troll people by erasing minor details of corporate logos from history.

So resistant to question a popular misconception, mis-recollection, they assume it's reality that's gone wrong.

gnome is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2021, 02:50 PM   #30
threadworm
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
I follow a Mandela Effect reddit because of my interest in urban legends, how a shared story (usually with no truth) will coalesce into something very specific. It's a little weird running into people that think secret organizations are manipulating reality, only to use that godlike power to troll people by erasing minor details of corporate logos from history.

So resistant to question a popular misconception, mis-recollection, they assume it's reality that's gone wrong.
They'd rather believe that there is a massive conspiracy capable of manipulating time and/or able to break into houses and rewrite books and edit DVDs than admit their memory is somewhat flaky. Apparently your the stupid gullible one when you can produce evidence that proves them wromg because, duh, 'they' changed it.

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2021, 04:53 AM   #31
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Also having a strong emotional attachment to the anomalous memory makes it even more unimpeachable. Because nothing ensures memory accuracy like strong emotions.

Old 6th April 2021, 04:57 AM   #32
SteveAitch
Thinker

I know someone who, as well as believing in chem-trails, believes that all Hollywood actresses (and Michelle Obama) are either transvestites or transexuals. I've not spoken to her about it, but that probably also covers Meghan Markle too.

All children of same are obviously adopted.
Old 6th April 2021, 05:36 AM   #33
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by SteveAitch View Post
I know someone who, as well as believing in chem-trails, believes that all Hollywood actresses (and Michelle Obama) are either transvestites or transexuals. I've not spoken to her about it, but that probably also covers Meghan Markle too.
I've seen that one pop up here and there too, the obsession that government/Hollywood is full of transvestites.

Didn't we have one of those on the board a long while back? I definitely remember a link to someone's YouTube page that was just video "proof" that "Hemingway was a transvestite! Charlie Chaplin was a transsexual!"
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 12:40 AM   #34
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Modified View Post
Favorites and the most hated.
Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
And if all the contestants are nice and get along, they will edit it in such a way as to create a villain
Shows like the one the OP is describing don't have dynamics like this. In these shows the only persistent personalities, if any, are the host and/or the judges; the competitors (however many there are) in each episode only appear for that one episode and the entire competition is contained to that episode. I believe most of Food Network's competition-type programs are like this; "Chopped" and "Cake Wars" are two other examples.

In shows of this format, OP is right - the producers have no incentive to favor one competitor over another; the contestants generally don't "come back" so there's no meaningful way of predicting a fan favorite, and no "good guy" versus "villain" dynamics.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 03:21 AM   #35
whoanellie
Muse

Here are 2 of the silliest conspiracy theories I've heard of:
1) According to the 'Conspiracy Theory' conspiracy theory, the CIA invented or at least promoted the idea that there were conspiracy theories to discredit those who believed that Oswald did not act alone to kill Kennedy.
2) According to the toucan hoax, there is really no such bird as the toucan - the bird on the Fruit Loops box. Toucans are a man-made hoax.
whoanellie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 03:58 AM   #36
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Shows like the one the OP is describing don't have dynamics like this. In these shows the only persistent personalities, if any, are the host and/or the judges; the competitors (however many there are) in each episode only appear for that one episode and the entire competition is contained to that episode. I believe most of Food Network's competition-type programs are like this; "Chopped" and "Cake Wars" are two other examples.

These shows have 8-10 competitors, with one being eliminated each episode until the final three face off in the final episode. There's no live audience and the episodes are taped long before they air, so there's no way to determine an audience favorite. There's no backstage interaction, like there is on shows like Top Chef, so the competitors only interact while actually working. There aren't a lot of chances to act like a jerk to each other. Competitors on Food Network shows seem to act a lot more professional than the ones on shows like Top Chef, polite and willing to help each other, despite it being a competition. Sometimes on team-based competitions like Halloween Wars, the stress will cause team members to get mad and yell at each other, but that's about it.
Old 7th April 2021, 05:47 AM   #37
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Originally Posted by Allen773 View Post
And we know thatís wrong because no one would ever bother ripping off REO Speedwagon.
And yet long ago the assertion produced a thread that lasted for years.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 05:49 AM   #38
Belz...
Fiend God

I always wondered why the government replaced Paul McCartney with Faul. Apparently it was vital that the band continue to... aaaaannnd they broke up.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 05:53 AM   #39
Belz...
Fiend God

I'm thinking if all the boxing matches that many claimed were fixed or rigged to advance ticket sales by maintaining a champion or keeping a popular contender in the ranks.
One of my uncles thinks NHL playoffs are rigged, in the case of a recent one because the NHL wants to give a specific player a Stanley cup. Why they'd do this is a mystery.

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 05:59 AM   #40
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I've seen that one pop up here and there too, the obsession that government/Hollywood is full of transvestites.
I have no idea where the Michael Obama nonsense comes from.... but I suspect that it comes from a racist place.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories