IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , partskeptic

Reply
Old 5th August 2020, 04:21 PM   #2121
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!
 
wollery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 10,993
Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
You might get more traction if you didn't swell out your posts with anecdotes and tangents that don't seem to be obviously relevant to the point at hand.

I was merely pointing out that someone with the exceptional intelligence you claim to have should have noticed when typing up the test for us to try for ourselves should have noticed that it was obviously neither an IQ test, nor a test where 50/50 was some sort of "impossible score".
Should have noticed when he first took the test.
__________________
"You're a sick SOB. You know that, Wollery?" - Roadtoad

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2020, 04:42 PM   #2122
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,243
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
The brain is incredible with it's memory capacity and it's reasoning ability.
Some people's brains are incredible with their memory capacity and reasoning ability, some are not so incredible with their reasoning abilities (think flat-earthers, 9/11 truthers, young earth creationists, Scientologists, believers in homeopathy, etc.). In my case, my short term memory is currently shot to ribbons because of my current depression. I have to carry a notebook at work to keep track of the tasks I'm currently dealing with, my memory capacity is not so incredible at the moment.
Quote:
I happen to have one that was rather unique. It should be reason to celebrate the possibilities of life if we humans could work together and not be so selfish.
You believe you have a unique brain with unique memory abilities, what you need to do is demonstrate your brain's abilities by your actions and words, not by telling us tedious anecdotes about how you fixed some machine that no-one else could fix or how you could troubleshoot electronic devices or whatever or how you were able to outsmart college professors after attending a single lecture on either relativity or quantum mechanics (your anecdote is unclear on that point).

Quote:
But we all have strengths and weaknesses. I was not very street smart when younger, and had no idea about women. I was incredibly naive and did not understand why people would lie. Even to get out of trouble. I avoided getting punished severely for doing wrong - by just admitting it. The person I had to account to could not believe I was being honest, and they let me off. I think they figured they could not punish someone so dumb.
Cool story bro. Fail to see the relevance to the thread, but anyway, same with most of your anecdotes.

Last edited by JesseCuster; 5th August 2020 at 04:43 PM.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2020, 04:58 PM   #2123
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 21,508
Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
You might get more traction if you didn't swell out your posts with anecdotes and tangents that don't seem to be obviously relevant to the point at hand.

I was merely pointing out that someone with the exceptional intelligence you claim to have should have noticed when typing up the test for us to try for ourselves should have noticed that it was obviously neither an IQ test, nor a test where 50/50 was some sort of "impossible score".

Your post seems to be just rambling to be honest. Try to stick the point without inserting in all these pointless anecdotes that go nowhere and don't seem to prove anything.
I am getting tired of the Abraham Simpson malarkey. Next thing you know, he tied an onion to his belt as was the style at the time.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2020, 05:36 PM   #2124
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,029
Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
Given that you consider yourself to have exceptionally high intelligence, did it not occur to you while typing up the test that this
1) wasn't an intelligence test,
2) that a score of 50/50 would be impossible?
3) that it asked a question about sorting American nickels, dimes and quarters because it was a USA Potential Employee cognitive test.
4) that you removed the copyright holder's (publisher's) name that indicated it was a USA Potential Employee cognitive test


Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2020, 11:39 PM   #2125
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,029
Good News everyone.
Partskeptic is experiencing headaches due to Histoplasmosis. He simply forgot that he already told us this in another thread.


Originally Posted by Partskeptic in 2016
The last few years of my life have given me quite a bit of pain and suffering. Most of it due to systemic histoplasmosis (a fungus from bats that got inside me).I agree it is most unpleasant, and saps a persons energy.I was declared legally blind a little before that happened. My sight was restored.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=151

Symptoms
The mildest forms of histoplasmosis cause no signs or symptoms, but severe infections can be life-threatening. When signs and symptoms occur, they usually appear three to 17 days after exposure and can include:......Headaches


https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20373495


(Alternatively, if we want to continue with the EMF test series, we will need to also need to check Partskeptic's lungs for active irritating bat droppings)
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2020, 12:11 AM   #2126
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 13,195
To be fair, he has told us in this thread that he has headaches from several different causes. He claims to be able to tell the difference between the ones supposedly caused by emf and the ones caused by his numerous ailments.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2020, 01:01 AM   #2127
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,029
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
The more important question is, "Given the constraints on the experiment we can do, what statistical model will work?"
Thankfully Partskeptic will be able to, exactly, set out what experimentation needs to undertaken, to obtain a 95% confidence level in his next post.

Originally Posted by Partskeptic in 2016
I went back to varsity to study for a business degree and statistics was one course. Nice refresher from my engineering studies in the early 70s.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=395
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2020, 01:04 AM   #2128
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,029
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
To be fair, he has told us in this thread that he has headaches from several different causes. He claims to be able to tell the difference between the ones supposedly caused by emf and the ones caused by his numerous ailments.
Isn't this simply a variation on Arrow's Impossibility Theorem? He can blame "bat poo" false positives for when the modem isn't even turned on.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2020, 02:47 AM   #2129
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9,110
I'm sure someone has brought it up before but is anyone else getting jabba flashbacks?
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2020, 03:23 AM   #2130
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 4,034
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post

In the last decade, I have had learn first hand about how devious and immoral and evil people can be. And society focuses on MeFirst. In 1992, I passed a gardener in a small village in Cape Town. He was an old greying man digging up one weed at a time. The family he worked for probably gave him food and lodging plus pay. Many good people I know would give such workers a pension and also take care of problems and illness. He stopped and so did I. We looked at each other and then at the garden. We nodded to each other - a silent exchange. He was content.
Has it occurred to you that it was actually his house?
Whole lot of assumption there for a moment of eye contact 20-odd years ago.
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2020, 03:50 AM   #2131
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 13,195
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Has it occurred to you that it was actually his house?
Whole lot of assumption there for a moment of eye contact 20-odd years ago.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the assumption was based on the colour of the old man's skin. Which wouldn't have justified it, of course, but we already know that PS's assumptions are rarely justified.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2020, 04:11 AM   #2132
Susheel
Graduate Poster
 
Susheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Hyderabad, India
Posts: 1,774
Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
I'm sure someone has brought it up before but is anyone else getting jabba flashbacks?
...and Bubba ... also I remember a poster from way back in the early 2000s. He used to claim extreme genius and how his parents were so impressed and proud and confidant about him that they gave him his own house to stay in alone, and brand new car while he was still in high school and that he had got the most advanced commercially manufactured lap top as a birthday gift from the aforementioned doting parents.
His stories of genius got more and more bizarre as people kept calling him out on it. Then one day, he claimed that all of it was just to test the skepticism of then forumites, and he then disappeared.
__________________
I've got to get to a library...fast Robert Langdon
Susheel is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2020, 09:44 AM   #2133
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 4,006
Today has been really rough health-wise. Not reading posts because I am somewhat fragile.

Just to let others know I plan (if all goes well) to do tests on the modem on Saturday. My wife will be at her office for maintenance and repairs. I can switch off and move devices. Hopefully I can get low "off" emfs and medium/high "on" emfs. If it works I will see how many tests I can run.

Note:
Covid affects old people badly but not young people. This is unusual. Spanish Flu did not affect young and old badly because their immune systems did not over-react and cause a cytokine storm. Often pandemics kill the old and young because their immune systems are less effective.

I do not recall seeing a good explanation for Covid's age differential. Could it be that older people have had longer exposure to EMFs, and that is part of the underlying existing health problems?

I see that one person lost both parents who were nurses at Milpark Mediclinic. That hospital is full of WiFi. The person almost died herself and was in the ICU. Otherwise, SA seems to have a 2% death rate. Many government hospitals are very under-equipped and WiFi would not be high at all.

Once more, there is such a dearth of detail. I would think that it would be very transparent. It seems various sectors are worried they might not look good.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**

Last edited by PartSkeptic; 6th August 2020 at 09:45 AM.
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2020, 10:32 AM   #2134
Joe Random
Master Poster
 
Joe Random's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,836
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
<...>
I do not recall seeing a good explanation for Covid's age differential. Could it be that older people have had longer exposure to EMFs, and that is part of the underlying existing health problems?
<...>
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2020, 10:57 AM   #2135
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,240
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Could it be that older people have had longer exposure to EMFs, and that is part of the underlying existing health problems?
Older people have been exposed to everything for longer than younger people. Older people have all manner of underlying health issues because that's what it means to get old. We're trying to help you determine for yourself whether wifi really has the effect on you that you claim. But you're evidently just going to cling desperately to the idea that electromagnetic field energy is some sort of universal boogey man.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2020, 06:11 PM   #2136
MBDK
New Blood
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 22
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Yes, and I corrected the original post, either before or after you noticed that. I originally worded it to give the number of segments in each half, found it confusing, reworded it, and forgot to fix the first number. I guess my IQ isn't as high as PartSkeptic's.
I know this is extremely late, but I just read it a minute ago. Well, a minute ten ago...now a minute 17...oh, you get my drift. Anyway, I just thought I would point out that each half of a normal orange COULD contain 10 segments, if it was halved across its "equator" rather than its "poles" (obviously I am NOT a botanist).
MBDK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2020, 07:21 PM   #2137
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 21,508
Originally Posted by MBDK View Post
I know this is extremely late, but I just read it a minute ago. Well, a minute ten ago...now a minute 17...oh, you get my drift. Anyway, I just thought I would point out that each half of a normal orange COULD contain 10 segments, if it was halved across its "equator" rather than its "poles" (obviously I am NOT a botanist).
Don't be foolish, clearly, the orange is a flat disc.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2020, 10:48 PM   #2138
EvilBiker
Spectral Challenger
 
EvilBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Berlin
Posts: 1,407
Originally Posted by MBDK View Post
I know this is extremely late, but I just read it a minute ago. Well, a minute ten ago...now a minute 17...oh, you get my drift. Anyway, I just thought I would point out that each half of a normal orange COULD contain 10 segments, if it was halved across its "equator" rather than its "poles" (obviously I am NOT a botanist).

Strictly speaking, you would have ten half-segments...
__________________
Flat Earth Theory:
The unfortunate result of ordering pizza to satisfy munchies after smoking way too much weed to bring you down from that hectic acid trip.
EvilBiker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2020, 11:02 PM   #2139
McAnny
New Blood
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by MBDK View Post
I know this is extremely late, but I just read it a minute ago. Well, a minute ten ago...now a minute 17...oh, you get my drift. Anyway, I just thought I would point out that each half of a normal orange COULD contain 10 segments, if it was halved across its "equator" rather than its "poles" (obviously I am NOT a botanist).
I‘m done with splitting hairs. Oranges only from now on.
McAnny is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2020, 11:17 PM   #2140
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 4,006
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the assumption was based on the colour of the old man's skin. Which wouldn't have justified it, of course, but we already know that PS's assumptions are rarely justified.
You are correct. I deliberately left out color as being discriminatory. The year was 1992. Apartheid law was still in effect. The man was legally not allowed to own the house. Do you still think my assumption is not justified?
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2020, 11:47 PM   #2141
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 13,195
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
You are correct. I deliberately left out color as being discriminatory. The year was 1992. Apartheid law was still in effect. The man was legally not allowed to own the house. Do you still think my assumption is not justified?
I'm appalled that was still the case in 1992 and yes, in that case your assumption was justified. I would note, however, that deliberately leaving out details which are vital to understanding what you are saying is not discriminatory, it is just silly.

So when can we expect you to post your detailed test protocol? I look forward to seeing how you have taken on board and addressed all the comments and queries which have been raised.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2020, 01:12 AM   #2142
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 21,508
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
You are correct. I deliberately left out color as being discriminatory. The year was 1992. Apartheid law was still in effect. The man was legally not allowed to own the house. Do you still think my assumption is not justified?
Yes. He could have been renting it.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2020, 01:24 AM   #2143
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,029
I just read Partskeptic's previous thread. "Evidence we live in a simulation"
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=316775

In that thread Partskeptic claims he has observed extremely rare coincidences and thus we live in a simulation. (Yep, that's his argument).

However, this current thread is claiming his headaches, that could be from his continuous bouts of flu, his Alzheimer's, or his bat fungus (Histoplasmosis), but he claims is caused by a specific Electromagnetic frequency and amplitude....although this relationship has never been tested.

But aren't we being taken for a ride? Isn't Partskeptic simply going to claim we are in a simulation again and thus nothing can be proved?
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2020, 01:28 AM   #2144
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,029
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Yes. He could have been renting it.
Hard to say. I read this.

South African History Online : Land and Labour : Apartheid
https://www.sahistory.org.za/article...-and-apartheid

What makes me wonder why someone, who is openly anti-Semitic and was 25 in 1975 emigrated from the USA to South Africa, while this was the regime.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2020, 01:33 AM   #2145
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 4,006
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I'm appalled that was still the case in 1992 and yes, in that case your assumption was justified. I would note, however, that deliberately leaving out details which are vital to understanding what you are saying is not discriminatory, it is just silly.

So when can we expect you to post your detailed test protocol? I look forward to seeing how you have taken on board and addressed all the comments and queries which have been raised.

It seems that every little detail I post is examined with regard to any mistake, error or deliberate falsehood.

In 1992 I had returned from the USA and I wrote a book (not published) about racism in the USA. There was far less personal racism among people in SA and so I was happy to come back. Since then the reverse racism has gotten so bad that racism here is being stoked by black politicians. It is now very bad on all sides.

Many ordinary workers (gardener and domestics) are much worse off. The black elite are quite harsh on their fellow blacks. Workers live off site, and only work 1 day a week and have multiple employers. Most travel long distances from squatter camps.

The biggest difference is the huge growth in corruption, but instead of a 10% price-tag (or mostly steering to a favored company of a fellow Afrikaner) it is now many hundreds of percent, and often there is no delivery of any service or goods. A white man quoted R36,000 to replace a broken city water pump. A black man got the tender for R360,000 - and subcontracted a white company to do the job. Guess where most of the (extra) money went.

It is unsustainable and change is inevitable.

Let me do another test run tomorrow. Then I will address the details.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2020, 01:50 AM   #2146
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 4,006
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Yes. He could have been renting it.

That was also illegal. In some places like Joburg it did happen with fake (white) tenants. This was a small town not far from Cape Town. No way. And any black man with money would hire a (black - because I know of no whites, yet, who would do gardening) gardener. The income inequality is massive and is part of what needs to be redressed.

A number of advocates (black and white) invoice for doing a days work for multiple clients (some up to 20) for the same day. They charge R50,000 a day. A domestic worker gets R250 a day (some only pay R180 a day), and a factory unskilled worker can start at R15 an hour. They often pay R30 a day for taxi travel.

The cost of a house in Soweto in 1970 was 50 cents a month including water electricity and sewerage. There was huge outcry when it was raised to R2 a month. Hospitals were for blacks were free and of a high standard. Petty apartheid was immoral and bad, but many people adjusted and the average black person saw a 40% annual increase in standard of living.

That was before they started burning schools and government buildings. Apartheid was not "right" but if a strategy of learning and achievement had been adopted many blacks would have simply earned their places and apartheid would have crumbled with a reasonable transition.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2020, 02:10 AM   #2147
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 4,006
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Hard to say. I read this.

South African History Online : Land and Labour : Apartheid
https://www.sahistory.org.za/article...-and-apartheid

What makes me wonder why someone, who is openly anti-Semitic and was 25 in 1975 emigrated from the USA to South Africa, while this was the regime.
I was there. With enough experience to know "historical opinion" from "historical fact" I had no problem sitting down with the black labors at lunch time and chatting with them. My father worked away for home for most of my childhood. My substitute father was the black domestic worker who lived full time on the property. Apartheid appalled me and so I emigrated.

Blacks then did not pay taxes because for many their income was below the threshold. Tribal chiefs were paid but it was not from taxes collected from black workers. The mines were run and controlled by Oppenheimer - not the government. Oppenheimer was responsible for establishing Soweto. Not an Afrikaner.

BTW - Apartheid was only established in 1948 when the British lost both India and South Africa as colonies. The Brits threw Ghandi off the train and the Afrikaner was a second class citizen. Other races were third class citizens. Some Homelands got really good land. One got all the platinum mines. Part of the rationale of Apartheid was because there was a problematic rise in prostitution by black women.

As for workers living away from home, that applies to many people. Including my father. Even today in many countries and many nationalities people work and send money home. Zimbabweans come to SA as do many from other African countries. It is no excuse for a lack of morality. Such a comment shows bias.

I am not anti-Semitic. I criticize all religions and groups equally where they deserve it. I was raised in Bulawayo and about a one third of my class mates were Jewish (being the best school). Two of my ex-wives are Jewish, and I have a Jewish son. Stop throwing mud. It is false and ethical.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**

Last edited by PartSkeptic; 7th August 2020 at 02:12 AM.
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2020, 02:33 AM   #2148
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nor Flanden
Posts: 33,893
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
In times of war there is often no mercy for the enemy whether within or without. The firebombing of Dresden was a war crime and when the English realized what they had done they quietly got rid of the lead officer in that scandal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Ar...s,_1st_Baronet
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2020, 05:28 AM   #2149
Joe Random
Master Poster
 
Joe Random's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,836
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I was there. With enough experience to know "historical opinion" from "historical fact" I had no problem sitting down with the black labors at lunch time and chatting with them. My father worked away for home for most of my childhood. My substitute father was the black domestic worker who lived full time on the property. Apartheid appalled me and so I emigrated.

Blacks then did not pay taxes because for many their income was below the threshold. Tribal chiefs were paid but it was not from taxes collected from black workers. The mines were run and controlled by Oppenheimer - not the government. Oppenheimer was responsible for establishing Soweto. Not an Afrikaner.

BTW - Apartheid was only established in 1948 when the British lost both India and South Africa as colonies. The Brits threw Ghandi off the train and the Afrikaner was a second class citizen. Other races were third class citizens. Some Homelands got really good land. One got all the platinum mines. Part of the rationale of Apartheid was because there was a problematic rise in prostitution by black women.

As for workers living away from home, that applies to many people. Including my father. Even today in many countries and many nationalities people work and send money home. Zimbabweans come to SA as do many from other African countries. It is no excuse for a lack of morality. Such a comment shows bias.

I am not anti-Semitic. I criticize all religions and groups equally where they deserve it. I was raised in Bulawayo and about a one third of my class mates were Jewish (being the best school). Two of my ex-wives are Jewish, and I have a Jewish son. Stop throwing mud. It is false and ethical.
"... which was the style at the time."
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2020, 06:24 AM   #2150
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,240
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
It seems that every little detail I post is examined with regard to any mistake, error or deliberate falsehood.p
You are posting in a skeptics forum. You know you are posting in a skeptics forum. You have considerable experience in the effects of posting claims in a skeptics forum. Stop trying to shame skeptics for being skeptics, when you clearly know what to expect from them and clearly seek their involvement. If you don't like the effects of posting your claims for skeptics to examine, simply don't do it.

The rest of your rambling anecdote I will ignore.

Quote:
Let me do another test run tomorrow. Then I will address the details.
Before you do another "test run," the details of how you're proposing to do the test are still -- after months of discussion -- murky and require further clarification on your part. No one is obliged to accept your data as evidence (regardless of what it looks like evidence for) without the assurance of a properly blinded protocol and a valid statistical model. Please provide those instead of your next contemplated anecdote.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2020, 06:42 AM   #2151
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 4,034
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
You are correct. I deliberately left out color as being discriminatory. The year was 1992. Apartheid law was still in effect. The man was legally not allowed to own the house. Do you still think my assumption is not justified?
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I'm appalled that was still the case in 1992 and yes, in that case your assumption was justified. I would note, however, that deliberately leaving out details which are vital to understanding what you are saying is not discriminatory, it is just silly.
This. ^
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2020, 03:03 PM   #2152
p0lka
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: near trees, houses and a lake.
Posts: 2,268
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Good News everyone.
Partskeptic is experiencing headaches due to Histoplasmosis. He simply forgot that he already told us this in another thread.




http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=151

Symptoms
The mildest forms of histoplasmosis cause no signs or symptoms, but severe infections can be life-threatening. When signs and symptoms occur, they usually appear three to 17 days after exposure and can include:......Headaches


https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20373495


(Alternatively, if we want to continue with the EMF test series, we will need to also need to check Partskeptic's lungs for active irritating bat droppings)
How is that good news?
****.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2020, 03:45 PM   #2153
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 21,508
Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
How is that good news?
****.
Ironic Futurama reference.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2020, 05:12 PM   #2154
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,029
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I was there. With enough experience to know "historical opinion" from "historical fact"
Nope. You were caught lying and making up anti-Jewish stories earlier in this thread. You lied and said Jews were moving into Berlin and deserved what Hitler did to them.

Can't you remember ten days ago?
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2020, 05:21 PM   #2155
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,029
are

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
How is that good news?****.
It means his headaches are more likely caused by his Histoplasmosis which scientifically does cause headaches rather than a specific electromagnetic wavelength and amplitude which has never been shown to cause headaches and he refuses to test.

Therefore, as his religious belief is that God told him that God is killing off immoral people, with disease, that he obviously knows it is he, Partskeptic, who God thinks is immoral.

Good News
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2020, 05:51 PM   #2156
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,029
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
- because I know of no whites, yet, who would do gardening)
Apart from all the famous white South African gardeners on TV, in magazines, and at outdoor shows, in South Africa'

(Look things up before you post such obvious lies. )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Die Tuinier magazine.jpg (14.0 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg Tanya Visser.jpg (59.3 KB, 102 views)
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2020, 07:33 PM   #2157
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 21,508
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
It means his headaches are more likely caused by his Histoplasmosis which scientifically does cause headaches rather than a specific electromagnetic wavelength and amplitude which has never been shown to cause headaches and he refuses to test.

Therefore, as his religious belief is that God told him that God is killing off immoral people, with disease, that he obviously knows it is he, Partskeptic, who God thinks is immoral.

Good News
Oh you should just standby. The claims will all be different tomorrow.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2020, 04:05 AM   #2158
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 4,006
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Apart from all the famous white South African gardeners on TV, in magazines, and at outdoor shows, in South Africa'

(Look things up before you post such obvious lies. )

A white (even a "poor white") paid gardeners working as a living at R250 per day (R17.50 = 1 US$)?

Even if people (whites/blacks/Indian/Colored/Asian) were approached by a poor white to something like gardening, they would not be hired because it would be assumed there is "something not right".

A friend of our works as a "garden consultant" to design, install and maintain gardens at homes and complexes. She hires and supervises day laborers.

You should educate yourself before falsely accusing someone of lying. If you know your facts are false, then rather being mistaken, you are yourself a liar.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2020, 04:09 AM   #2159
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 4,006
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Nope. You were caught lying and making up anti-Jewish stories earlier in this thread. You lied and said Jews were moving into Berlin and deserved what Hitler did to them.

Can't you remember ten days ago?

Your summary is in error. Once more. I made up no stories. I think I must just give a simple "Wrong. Fake News again" in response to your posts. They are annoying. I doubt you have much credibility on this thread. I am building a shed and refurbishing a jungle gym. Don't you have something useful to do?
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2020, 04:18 AM   #2160
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 4,006
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
I just read Partskeptic's previous thread. "Evidence we live in a simulation"
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=316775

In that thread Partskeptic claims he has observed extremely rare coincidences and thus we live in a simulation. (Yep, that's his argument).

However, this current thread is claiming his headaches, that could be from his continuous bouts of flu, his Alzheimer's, or his bat fungus (Histoplasmosis), but he claims is caused by a specific Electromagnetic frequency and amplitude....although this relationship has never been tested.

But aren't we being taken for a ride? Isn't Partskeptic simply going to claim we are in a simulation again and thus nothing can be proved?

So you are saying that when anyone has a headache, it is always due to a historical condition? And that if I got hit in the head, it is not cause and effect concussion but histoplasmosis?

I take antifungal medication almost daily (10 years now) to stop the fungus growing inside me. I thought that the harm caused by systemic bat fungus was due to the inflammation caused by extensive infection with the fungus. But you are telling us all that even when I have no internal fungal growths any headache is STILL caused by fungus.

Please tell us all that you do not work in the medical profession.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:41 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.