IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , diseases

Closed Thread
Old 18th November 2020, 01:24 PM   #2961
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,756
Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
I find that most of the people who think pandemic related restrictions are perfectly fine with police beating and potentially killing people for not immediately obeying whatever order the police choose to give them. This makes me doubt there is any real concern form freedom involved in the objections we see to these restrictions.
Good point.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 01:30 PM   #2962
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 28,563
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Question: Assume that you get the first FDA-approved vaccine available to you. If another vaccine is released later that may be better for some reason, is there any medical reason why you can't get the second one?
Good question, but I'm going to presume not unless evidence to the contrary turns up.

You'll just be doubly susceptible to the Gates/Soros mind control.
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 01:33 PM   #2963
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 47,150
Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Thanks.. We are overdue for a Trump reference..


Are you saying that the failure of the healthcare system and the political engine ( i.e. Trump ) is not responsible for the
extent of the pandemic?
No Iím not. Iím talking about Trump dismissing the fact that 250,000 in the US have died from the virus. A denial you are echoing.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 01:35 PM   #2964
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 28,563
This has been doing the rounds for a couple of days: Covid antibodies found in blood taken in September 2019.

I believe the idea that Covid was gestating unseen in the population since September last year is nonsense, and the Science response suggests that false positives may be the issue.

The thought occurred to me that maybe there's a very similar coronavirus which has produced the false positives. This might also explain why some people seem to have the ability to be infected and have no symptoms while others die.
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 01:36 PM   #2965
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 12,947
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Good question, but I'm going to presume not unless evidence to the contrary turns up.

You'll just be doubly susceptible to the Gates/Soros mind control.
I'll be sure to insist on the "no microchip" version.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 01:44 PM   #2966
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur
 
Skeptical Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Just past ' Resume Speed ' .
Posts: 16,994
Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
I addressed the part where I had issues/questions:



You provided no explanation of why we should “take the people with underlying health issues out of the mix", so I asked you if you were trying to imply that it wasn’t as important if these people died. You have had every opportunity to provide an alterative explanation of why we should ignore these deaths but you refuse to do so.
I did not suggest taking the people out of the mix, I clearly ( in my mind ) suggested taking the numbers out of the mix. The point being, if you address the comorbidities by treatment and prevention, you affect the outcome, and the reduce the number of deaths.

Apparently, I wasn't clear, but accusing me of advocating death panels and involuntary euthanasia, is ingenuous at best.
__________________
" The main problem I have with the idea of heaven, is the thought of
spending eternity with most of the people who claim to be going there. "

Last edited by Skeptical Greg; 18th November 2020 at 03:18 PM.
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 01:46 PM   #2967
Capsid
Graduate Poster
 
Capsid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,743
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Question: Assume that you get the first FDA-approved vaccine available to you. If another vaccine is released later that may be better for some reason, is there any medical reason why you can't get the second one?

Define better. The clinical trials show that the vaccine works. Subsequent vaccines are usually licensed on evidence that they are non- inferior.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Capsid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 02:23 PM   #2968
Lplus
Muse
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 652
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
This has been doing the rounds for a couple of days: Covid antibodies found in blood taken in September 2019.

I believe the idea that Covid was gestating unseen in the population since September last year is nonsense, and the Science response suggests that false positives may be the issue.

The thought occurred to me that maybe there's a very similar coronavirus which has produced the false positives. This might also explain why some people seem to have the ability to be infected and have no symptoms while others die.
May be relevant - SARS covid19 rective T cells found in persons without previous contact with SARS covid 19 - https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2550-z

and here - https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...b-global-en-GB
Lplus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 02:26 PM   #2969
Dr.Sid
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Olomouc, Czech Republic
Posts: 3,211
Originally Posted by Lplus View Post
May be relevant - SARS covid19 rective T cells found in persons without previous contact with SARS covid 19 - https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2550-z

and here - https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...b-global-en-GB
There is no such thing as SARS covid 19. There is a virus named SARS-CoV-2 and disease named COVID-19
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 02:46 PM   #2970
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ngunnawal Country
Posts: 70,919
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
No one is padding death certificates to make COVID look worse or to get more money from Medicare. It a Trump et al ruse, an excuse, looks good on paper but not in real life.
I wouldn't say that it has never happened, but I would deny that it happens routinely, as is being suggested. I'm sure someone will be able to cherry-pick an example or two, but to suggest that it is widespread is disingenuous.
__________________
Semantic ambiguity is how vampires get you.

Last edited by arthwollipot; 18th November 2020 at 02:48 PM.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 02:48 PM   #2971
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 12,947
Originally Posted by Capsid View Post
Define better. The clinical trials show that the vaccine works. Subsequent vaccines are usually licensed on evidence that they are non- inferior.
I dunno. Longer lasting immunity, more effective in some specific risk groups, whatever. People smarter than I am are contending that the first vaccine may not necessarily be the "best" vaccine for all people and circumstances.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 02:54 PM   #2972
Capsid
Graduate Poster
 
Capsid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,743
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
I dunno. Longer lasting immunity, more effective in some specific risk groups, whatever. People smarter than I am are contending that the first vaccine may not necessarily be the "best" vaccine for all people and circumstances.

Have you got a link to that? Context would help.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Capsid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 02:58 PM   #2973
Dr.Sid
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Olomouc, Czech Republic
Posts: 3,211
Different vaccines will have different prices, if nothing else. But RNA vaccine vs. adenovirus vaccine will differ in almost everything.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 03:01 PM   #2974
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ngunnawal Country
Posts: 70,919
Some pretty good information here about South Australia's 6-day "circuit breaker" lockdown:

South Australia's Covid lockdown explained: why six days and isn't 36 cases low?
__________________
Semantic ambiguity is how vampires get you.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 03:17 PM   #2975
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur
 
Skeptical Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Just past ' Resume Speed ' .
Posts: 16,994
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
No Iím not. Iím talking about Trump dismissing the fact that 250,000 in the US have died from the virus. A denial you are echoing.
Show me the echo..

You are either confusing me with someone else or you are lying.
__________________
" The main problem I have with the idea of heaven, is the thought of
spending eternity with most of the people who claim to be going there. "
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 04:12 PM   #2976
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 28,563
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Some pretty good information here about South Australia's 6-day "circuit breaker" lockdown:

South Australia's Covid lockdown explained: why six days and isn't 36 cases low?
Looks like they've taken a leaf straight out of NZ's playbook.

Smart move!
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 04:49 PM   #2977
Modified
Philosopher
 
Modified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,927
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Good question, but I'm going to presume not unless evidence to the contrary turns up.

You'll just be doubly susceptible to the Gates/Soros mind control.
I'll get the vaccine 100 times, just so Bill Gates and the Illuminati will wonder why 100 people are living in a 3/2 suburban house.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 05:19 PM   #2978
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit
 
Blue Mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Waging war on woo-woo in Winnipeg
Posts: 6,518
Originally Posted by No Other View Post
What you are proposing is to establish restrictions on an assumption that people have this disease unless they offer proof of NOT having it or if they are wearing a face mask... then they are good. Even though the wearing of a face mask has not proven to be 100% or even in the high double digit percentage effective. In short, you demand that people conform to something that never had a baseline established with the lead argument for doing that "something" is because it is better than nothing? Does that sum up your position?
Perfect is the enemy of good. In the absence of a vaccine, face masks and social distancing are currently the two best weapons in our arsenal against this pandemic.
__________________
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 05:19 PM   #2979
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 12,947
Originally Posted by Capsid View Post
Have you got a link to that? Context would help.

Pure speculation.There are questions about how long immunity will last, whether it will reduce transmission, etc. But the experts I'm seeing are saying "get the first vaccine you can."
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...976-0/fulltext [from before the announcement of the two vaccines]
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 05:27 PM   #2980
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,756
Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Why are you, The Atheist, Ginger and Ramjets implying that this is my point?
At no point did I say any such thing.

My point is that people trying to downplay the threat started the meme that cases were being over-counted. It's bull.

It is frequently implied that one) young healthy people don't die from this. Yes they do and mortality is not the only thing this virus causes. There is a serious risk of long term morbidity.

And two) it is frequently implied that for political reasons people dying of any number of things are being falsely counted as COVID deaths. That is false.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 05:35 PM   #2981
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,756
Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Somewhat like the responses I am getting..

What are your thoughts on co-morbidity and covid 19, and the possible need for more self restriction by those most vulnerable?
The problem with that is again, twofold.

1)That's a hell of a lot of people.

2)Other people in those households then infect the at-risk person. Isolating all those people with co-morbidities is not the least bit practical.

People imagine this is a solution, then they don't have to sacrifice anything. It's not feasible!

There's another aspect, if you do this impractical thing, you're also going to overflow all the hospitals.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 05:37 PM   #2982
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit
 
Blue Mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Waging war on woo-woo in Winnipeg
Posts: 6,518
Originally Posted by No Other View Post
Your suggestion(s) should be aimed at you and others who are scared of Covid-19. You act as if a healthy person is a menace. I don't have Covid-19, therefore I don't need to have the restrictions. I don't care what you think as long as it does not infringe on my rights as I am not imposing sanctions on you.
Do you know nothing about this disease? One of its most insidious characteristics is that apparently healthy people can be infectious and spreading it for over a week before falling ill. In the midst of a pandemic it's safer to assume a person out in public is infectious unless proven otherwise.

Pretty much everything you've posted so far indicates you simply don't care about your fellow human being; it's all about you and your rights. News flash: human are social animals. We're not lone independent creatures like cougars and crickets; we're much more akin to wolves and ants. We gather together in tribes, villages, and cities. We love socialising at parties and in bars. What you do can affect others around you.

"Your right to swing your arms ends where my nose begins." By extension, your "right" no to wear a mask ends where other people's health and lives are involved. If you're unwilling to acknowledge that, then the big bad government will force you by various measures to do so.
__________________
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.

Last edited by Blue Mountain; 18th November 2020 at 05:39 PM.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 05:38 PM   #2983
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,756
Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Yes.

But you see, most people will only get mild symptoms and recover, so they can justify asserting that 'draconian' measures taken to prevent infection cause more harm than good. Or can they?

Covid 19 coronavirus: Why South Australia locked down - New terrifying virus strain revealedThe shorter the incubation period, the more rapidly it can spread and the faster it can mutate. Shorter incubation also means it can mutate to an even more deadly form and still prosper.

We have been lucky so far. But the more this virus spreads and the more people become infected, the more mutations can occur. This virus is adapting faster than our inadequate response.

"First it came for the old, the weak, the comorbiditied, and I did not speak out -

Because I was young and healthy..."
You have something wrong here. The faster a virus incubates, the fewer people get infected. The infected person has less time to expose anyone.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 05:40 PM   #2984
mike81
Muse
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 663
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The problem with that is again, twofold.

1)That's a hell of a lot of people.

2)Other people in those households then infect the at-risk person. Isolating all those people with co-morbidities is not the least bit practical.

People imagine this is a solution, then they don't have to sacrifice anything. It's not feasible!

There's another aspect, if you do this impractical thing, you're also going to overflow all the hospitals.

Young healthy people die from the flu and those things about infecting someone else that could die can happen with the flu also.

Hospitals get overflowed at other times too. Anyone who's had to go to the hospital on a regular basis knows this. Just because you can find some that cannot handle it does not mean the whole country is in danger. Remember all those ventilators we supposedly needed? We used a small fraction of them.

Last edited by mike81; 18th November 2020 at 05:46 PM.
mike81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 05:47 PM   #2985
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,756
Originally Posted by No Other View Post
Great attempt at misdirection... You posted a Federal Law that allows the government to quarantine, prevent or isolate people ENTERING the USA. I have always agreed with that position. The CFR clearly states this is only for entry into the USA; it is up to the local states to determine what to do within the State's borders... again, I have stated this over and over.

By the way, Trump enacted this very same CFR and prevented Wuhan travelers from entering the USA in the very early stages of Covid-19 and it was Biden and the Democrats that said Trump was Xenophobic. If you are looking for blame...
Selective attention.

You ignored the fact every state has public health laws that allow people to be quarantined as well.

Quote:
States have police power functions to protect the health, safety, and welfare of persons within their borders. To control the spread of disease within their borders, states have laws to enforce the use of isolation and quarantine.

These laws can vary from state to state and can be specific or broad. In some states, local health authorities implement state law. In most states, breaking a quarantine order is a criminal misdemeanor.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 18th November 2020 at 05:49 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 05:49 PM   #2986
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher
 
Delphic Oracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 5,407
It was xenophobic because restrictions were not placed on other countries even when we knew those locations had high probability of bringing cases. Also allowing U.S. citizens to return, because apparently the virus couldn't cross nationality?

Actually, just one more example of feigned stupidity, I suspect.

This entire "science" thread is hopelessly drowning in political views at this point.

I'm hoping folks will stop indulging the hourly fringe resets at some point.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 18th November 2020 at 05:51 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 06:00 PM   #2987
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 47,183
As regards getting a "better" vaccine, the goal of a vaccine like this is to facilitate elimination of the virus from the population. How long any boosters will be needed for depends on how efficiently that is achieved. After that it's just travel vaccination.

I would think in practice, in a population where active elimination is being pursued, the vaccines will be much of a muchness.
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 06:12 PM   #2988
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,592
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
You have something wrong here. The faster a virus incubates, the fewer people get infected. The infected person has less time to expose anyone.
South Australian medicos are rather jumping the gun with panic about a new super strain. The same was said about the Victorian outbreak with nothing confirming that either.
No genomic testing has been done, and since patient zero was a traveller from the UK, this is probably just the “common” strain responsible for 90% of infections.

Unfortunately because of this belief in a short incubation period, SA is only enforcing 6 day lockdown, e.g., 2 x 3 day incubation, rather than the usual 14 days, (2 x 5 to 6 day incubation).

I hope they are right, otherwise their “hard lockdown” will be for nought.
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald

Last edited by EHocking; 18th November 2020 at 06:16 PM.
EHocking is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 06:31 PM   #2989
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,756
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Question: Assume that you get the first FDA-approved vaccine available to you. If another vaccine is released later that may be better for some reason, is there any medical reason why you can't get the second one?
Not usually, given you are talking about after there is sufficient supply.


There are some unique situations with a small number of pathogens. Too long to get into here.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 06:45 PM   #2990
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,756
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
This has been doing the rounds for a couple of days: Covid antibodies found in blood taken in September 2019.

I believe the idea that Covid was gestating unseen in the population since September last year is nonsense, and the Science response suggests that false positives may be the issue.

The thought occurred to me that maybe there's a very similar coronavirus which has produced the false positives. This might also explain why some people seem to have the ability to be infected and have no symptoms while others die.
Theoretically, it's not all that unusual for a pathogen to sputter and fail to ignite the fire for a while before it breaks out into an epidemic or pandemic. There are many examples.

HIV smoldered for years in Africa before it broke out into a pandemic. It moved when a road was built that truckers frequented. Frequenting prostitutes combined with travel moved it out of the small area. A connection between the population and Haiti then moved it further.

And SARS 1 smoldered in Guangdong China for a couple months before it spread outside of the area into Hong Kong.

I will not be surprised to find a population connection between Wuhan and Italy.

Or it could be false positive tests.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 18th November 2020 at 06:46 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 06:49 PM   #2991
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,756
Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
I did not suggest taking the people out of the mix, I clearly ( in my mind ) suggested taking the numbers out of the mix. The point being, if you address the comorbidities by treatment and prevention, you affect the outcome, and the reduce the number of deaths.

Apparently, I wasn't clear, but accusing me of advocating death panels and involuntary euthanasia, is ingenuous at best.
Because no one was doing that before COVID?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 06:55 PM   #2992
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,756
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I wouldn't say that it has never happened, but I would deny that it happens routinely, as is being suggested. I'm sure someone will be able to cherry-pick an example or two, but to suggest that it is widespread is disingenuous.
Technically as I mentioned earlier, a Medicare bill is not based on anything on the death certificate.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 06:59 PM   #2993
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,756
Originally Posted by mike81 View Post
Young healthy people die from the flu and those things about infecting someone else that could die can happen with the flu also.

Hospitals get overflowed at other times too. Anyone who's had to go to the hospital on a regular basis knows this. Just because you can find some that cannot handle it does not mean the whole country is in danger. Remember all those ventilators we supposedly needed? We used a small fraction of them.
Are you seriously still arguing COVID is no worse than flu?

Dude, that argument is so last summer.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 07:05 PM   #2994
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ngunnawal Country
Posts: 70,919
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Technically as I mentioned earlier, a Medicare bill is not based on anything on the death certificate.
Sure, but the other part of the claim - that there is widespread and deliberate over-reporting of deaths blamed on covid - is false.
__________________
Semantic ambiguity is how vampires get you.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 07:26 PM   #2995
mike81
Muse
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 663
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Are you seriously still arguing COVID is no worse than flu?

Dude, that argument is so last summer.
Are you still denying that hospitals get paid more for Covid-19 patients because of the CARES Act?
mike81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 07:29 PM   #2996
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 12,947
Originally Posted by mike81 View Post
Young healthy people die from the flu and those things about infecting someone else that could die can happen with the flu also.

Hospitals get overflowed at other times too. Anyone who's had to go to the hospital on a regular basis knows this. Just because you can find some that cannot handle it does not mean the whole country is in danger. Remember all those ventilators we supposedly needed? We used a small fraction of them.

Let's try it again:

1/ Covid is as much as five times or more deadlier than the flu. And death isn't the only bad outcome. Long-term consequences of covid can be much more severe for a large percentage of patients. Stop comparing covid to flu.

2/ Just because a hospital emergency room is crowded when you show up doesn't mean that the entire hospital is beyond capacity, and even if one hospital is filled doesn't mean the entire system is. But medical professionals across the U.S. are saying that they are being overwhelmed by covid in ways they've never experienced before. Are they lying? Do you know more as an occasional visitor than the people who work there? When have freezer trucks been used to store dead bodies before covid? Support your claims.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ap/6081153002/
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...hs/6267612002/
https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/10/us/el...ues/index.html
https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/11/us/el...rge/index.html

Last edited by Bob001; 18th November 2020 at 07:31 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 07:54 PM   #2997
Louden Wilde
Thinker
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: NYC
Posts: 180
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Let's try it again:

1/ Covid is as much as five times or more deadlier than the flu. And death isn't the only bad outcome. Long-term consequences of covid can be much more severe for a large percentage of patients. Stop comparing covid to flu.

2/ Just because a hospital emergency room is crowded when you show up doesn't mean that the entire hospital is beyond capacity, and even if one hospital is filled doesn't mean the entire system is. But medical professionals across the U.S. are saying that they are being overwhelmed by covid in ways they've never experienced before. Are they lying? Do you know more as an occasional visitor than the people who work there? When have freezer trucks been used to store dead bodies before covid? Support your claims.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ap/6081153002/
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...hs/6267612002/
https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/10/us/el...ues/index.html
https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/11/us/el...rge/index.html
This. I work at a large hospital in NYC and saw the morgue backed up, patients in the converted (huge) atrium, etc. That being said, I think the fundamental flaw in your argument here is that you're using logic and reason, which is group is notoriously refractory to. I don't think you're going to convince mike81 or the probably close to 70 million people in the US who think like him, unfortunately (part of why I am increasingly convinced the US should dissolve)
Louden Wilde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 09:52 PM   #2998
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Coast, US
Posts: 7,567
Originally Posted by No Other View Post
Your suggestion(s) should be aimed at you and others who are scared of Covid-19.
Full stop.

You keep invoking fear as if it were the only valid reason to take Covid-19 seriously. By doing that, you demonstrate that you are either unwilling or unable to deal with the issue with knowledge and intelligence.

Originally Posted by No Other View Post
You act as if a healthy person is a menace.
You act as if omniscience is commonplace, that infectious people necessarily know that they're infectious, and that infectious people who know that they're infectious will necessarily exercise personal responsibility in relation to that.

Originally Posted by No Other View Post
I don't have Covid-19, therefore I don't need to have the restrictions. I don't care what you think as long as it does not infringe on my rights as I am not imposing sanctions on you.
And that attitude is probably most of why things are as bad as they are, at this point. Even if you, personally, didn't make the problem worse, plenty of others who say much the same thing have. Which has then led to large amounts of preventable damage and death and continues to make things worse for everyone.

Originally Posted by No Other View Post
By the way, Trump enacted this very same CFR and prevented Wuhan travelers from entering the USA in the very early stages of Covid-19 and it was Biden and the Democrats that said Trump was Xenophobic. If you are looking for blame...
Take that to the US Politics and the Coronavirus thread. I will barely poke at it here, though, by saying that context matters - and the context in this case renders your attempted argument here ridiculous.
__________________
So sayeth the crazy little dragon.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 10:05 PM   #2999
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Coast, US
Posts: 7,567
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
How do you know that? The President and everyone around him is tested frequently -- every day, by some accounts
Was being tested. The circumstances surrounding when he displayed symptoms strongly suggested that Trump hadn't been getting tested so often - and that the White House in general was doing a pretty terrible job on that front. I further doubt that he's getting tested at this point.

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Let's try it again:

1/ Covid is as much as five times or more deadlier than the flu. And death isn't the only bad outcome. Long-term consequences of covid can be much more severe for a large percentage of patients. Stop comparing covid to flu
Quibble - There's nothing wrong with comparing covid-19 and influenza. Conflating them and treating them as equivalent/interchangeable is where the problem is. If I compare a cold with HIV, it can be an informative endeavor. If I were to try to treat them as if they were equivalent, that would be deeply problematic.
__________________
So sayeth the crazy little dragon.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th November 2020, 02:55 AM   #3000
Capsid
Graduate Poster
 
Capsid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,743
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Pure speculation.There are questions about how long immunity will last, whether it will reduce transmission, etc. But the experts I'm seeing are saying "get the first vaccine you can."
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...976-0/fulltext [from before the announcement of the two vaccines]
I can't think of an instance of a better vaccine from an immune response standpoint. There are alternative types. Perhaps polio is a good example. The inactivated vaccine protects the individual from disease but not onward transmission (although Sweden used the IPV alone and eradicated the virus) whereas the live virus vaccine does stop transmission. There may be parallels here for the COVID vaccine as discussed in the Lancet article you linked to. If the vaccine is licensed it has gone through rigorous testing and assessments.
Capsid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:04 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.