IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Closed Thread
Old 11th November 2020, 01:05 PM   #2681
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
On October 30th, Dr. Anthony Fauci predicted that the country is heading into a new surge in Covid-19 cases and deaths would rise as well. He criticized governments that were unwilling to make tough choices. Since November 4th, the day after the elections, new cases in the U.S. have topped 100,000 every day.

At the time, (now former) president trump countered that we had instead "turned the corner" on the pandemic.
He couldn't even get the phrase right, he doesn't say "turned a/the corner"!
Old 11th November 2020, 02:07 PM   #2682
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

This is a nightmare. If ever there was an analogy of Nero fiddling while Rome burned this is it.

Possible outcomes:
1) Trump pulls off his coup while the country falls into deep deep trouble.
1.a) We lose a whole slew of maskless right-wingers.
2) Overflowing hospitals and the economy tanking more override the media's attention to Trump (because they are doing it again, promoting Trump feeding his gaslighting)
2.a) The public wakes up and demands the election end and be called for Biden.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th November 2020, 06:47 PM   #2683
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

From Worldometer:
Quote:
United States
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

New Cases:
New Deaths:
A quarter million dead by end of week. It's just a flu.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th November 2020, 07:34 PM   #2684
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

New cases in the U.S. reached 142,808 on Wednesday? Terrible news. Especially at a time the trump administration is all but ignoring the pandemic while whackjob plays fantasy games. But the numbers have been rising in New York City as well, enough that people are beginning to become concerned. Below is a quote from tonight's New York Times:
Quote:
At least 2 new coronavirus deaths and 1,207 new cases were reported in New York City on Nov. 10. Over the past week, there has been an average of 1,142 cases per day, an increase of 77 percent from the average two weeks earlier. Times link
Ironically, the borough that is beng hit the hardeest seems to be Staten Island. Ironic because it is the one part of the city where trump has a lot of supporters and got a majority of the borough's vote in both 2016 and 2020. Staten Island is both the whitest and the smallest of New York City's five boroughs. Less than a half-million people in a city of over eight million. The Bronx is the city's second least populated borough with 1.4 million residents. (Brooklyn is the most populated borough with over 2.5 million.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NY City New cases 11112020.jpg (38.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Staten Island 11112020.jpg (36.6 KB, 7 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th November 2020, 11:53 PM   #2685
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
COVID hospitalizations at all time high.

Yeah, we turned the corner right into a parked garbage truck mobile morgue.
FTFY
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th November 2020, 01:57 AM   #2686
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Texas becomes first state to top ONE MILLION Covid cases. But vote for Donald Trump. GO TEXAS!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th November 2020, 05:20 AM   #2687
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Here we go again, this time with the occupant of the White House paying zero attention. In fact, public health officials warn, the trump admin refuses to do any transition with the Biden staff, including programs and measures to deal with the Covid-19 pandemic, and that may have some serious consequences.

Couldn't come at a worse time. From the link:
Quote:
Seventeen states are at their current peaks for hospitalizations today. According to local news reports, hospitals are already on the brink of being overwhelmed in Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota, Texas, Utah, and Wisconsin, and officials in many other states warn that their health-care systems will be dangerously stressed if cases continue to rise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg US Hosp 11102020.jpg (64.3 KB, 12 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th November 2020, 08:41 AM   #2688
slyjoe
Master Poster

Jared and Ivanka moved their kids to a new school due to complaints from parents that the Kushners were not following COVID protocols.

https://news.yahoo.com/jared-kushner...141251223.html
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th November 2020, 09:12 AM   #2689
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Here we go again, this time with the occupant of the White House paying zero attention. In fact, public health officials warn, the trump admin refuses to do any transition with the Biden staff, including programs and measures to deal with the Covid-19 pandemic, and that may have some serious consequences.
It's not just the USA that's running into problems. Here in Manitoba we went from being one of the best performing provinces in Canada in terms of infection rates to one of the worst over the course of a month. As of today we're in a two week lockdown, which hopefully will get things under control again.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th November 2020, 11:48 AM   #2690
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Corey Lewandowski tests positive for Coronavirus.
Quote:
Corey Lewandowski, a senior adviser to President Donald Trump’s reelection campaign, tested positive for the coronavirus on Wednesday but is feeling well, according to a person familiar with the situation.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th November 2020, 11:52 AM   #2691
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Has there been a plan hashed out with how to use the vaccines that are due to be available soon?
Old 12th November 2020, 12:03 PM   #2692
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Has there been a plan hashed out with how to use the vaccines that are due to be available soon?

Everybody who's last name starts with "trum" gets it first. Then everyone else can **** off.
Old 12th November 2020, 12:06 PM   #2693
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I just read that there will be a "Million Maga March" on Saturday in Washington, with of course the obligatory left wing counterprotest. What could go wrong?

Even if there isn't violence and arson, I'm sure it will turn into the Million Virus March.

I thought the dancing in the streets last Saturday was kind of cool, but every time I saw it, I was thinking, "Go home you idiots." At least most of them were wearing masks. I'm guessing that the Million Magas won't be.
Old 12th November 2020, 12:07 PM   #2694
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Sort of.

Quote:
Q: Who gets it first?

A: We are committed to working collaboratively with governments to support the public health need, but believe that front line health care workers, essential workers, immunocompromised individuals, nursing homes, and public safety officials should be prioritized consistent with global public health guidelines.

Q: This is a global crisis, so is there a plan around which countries get it and how?

A: If our vaccine candidate is successful, we would allocate the available 2020 doses proportionally across the countries where we have fully executed supply agreements that include delivery of a portion of doses in 2020.
Old 12th November 2020, 12:26 PM   #2695
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I just read that there will be a "Million Maga March" on Saturday in Washington, with of course the obligatory left wing counterprotest. What could go wrong?

Even if there isn't violence and arson, I'm sure it will turn into the Million Virus March.

I thought the dancing in the streets last Saturday was kind of cool, but every time I saw it, I was thinking, "Go home you idiots." At least most of them were wearing masks. I'm guessing that the Million Magas won't be.

At least it's likely that only a few hundred people will actually show up, based on past million person marches.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th November 2020, 01:24 PM   #2696
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

A passenger aboard the first cruise ship to set sail in the Caribbean since the start of the pandemic has tested positive for Covid-19, a reporter traveling on the ship says. https://nbcnews.to/3pnB1HN
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th November 2020, 01:36 PM   #2697
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

It's complicated, particularly for the ones that have to be kept frozen at -90 degrees below.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/12/b...ronavirus.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th November 2020, 03:20 PM   #2698
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Santa's get first dibs! At least thats what Trump wanted.
Old 12th November 2020, 04:05 PM   #2699
xjx388
Philosopher

My current understanding is that Pfizer has contracted with a major medical supply distributor, McKesson. McKesson distributes to the States and the States are setting up distribution channels as we speak. Our clinic, as I said before, has the necessary freezers as requested by the State of Texas. We are on the list to be a site.

What I am not quite sure of at the moment is what distribution scheme the State will use and how we will be mandated to adminsiter the vaccines.

A little story along those lines. The wife (who is a PA) of one of the doctors who own our clinic (and thinks her word is final, ugh) wanted to be sure we were on the list so that she could ensure that the employees of the clinic, her family and her circle of friends could be among the first to get it. No, I'm not at all happy about her rationale because I find it extremely unethical. Had a big fight about it with her and the docs landed on my side, even her husband. The upshot of all of this, the reason I'm not too worried about it, is that it's the State who is going to make decisions about who gets the vaccine first and I'm damn sure not going to stand by and allow her to bypass the rules and indulge her sense of entitlement. I'm sure health care workers like her and us will be among the first to get it but I made it very clear that I will report any shots given outside of the protocols. That's my job as the official custodian of the vaccines on the State registration forms.
Old 12th November 2020, 05:41 PM   #2700
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
My current understanding is that Pfizer has contracted with a major medical supply distributor, McKesson. McKesson distributes to the States and the States are setting up distribution channels as we speak. Our clinic, as I said before, has the necessary freezers as requested by the State of Texas. We are on the list to be a site.

What I am not quite sure of at the moment is what distribution scheme the State will use and how we will be mandated to adminsiter the vaccines.

A little story along those lines. The wife (who is a PA) of one of the doctors who own our clinic (and thinks her word is final, ugh) wanted to be sure we were on the list so that she could ensure that the employees of the clinic, her family and her circle of friends could be among the first to get it. No, I'm not at all happy about her rationale because I find it extremely unethical. Had a big fight about it with her and the docs landed on my side, even her husband. The upshot of all of this, the reason I'm not too worried about it, is that it's the State who is going to make decisions about who gets the vaccine first and I'm damn sure not going to stand by and allow her to bypass the rules and indulge her sense of entitlement. I'm sure health care workers like her and us will be among the first to get it but I made it very clear that I will report any shots given outside of the protocols. That's my job as the official custodian of the vaccines on the State registration forms.
I'm glad you are doing that. The self entitled Karens will screw everything up.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th November 2020, 06:57 PM   #2701
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

From Worldometer:
Quote:
United States
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

New Cases:161,541
New Deaths: 1,190
Old 12th November 2020, 06:59 PM   #2702
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post

Your ethical fortitude is admirable.

I hope you are keeping a parallel record of conversations and concerns you have.

I hope you never have to show such a record to anyone.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 06:09 AM   #2703
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

From Worldometer:
Quote:
United States
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

New Cases:161,541
New Deaths: 1,190
We could go over 11 million cases today or tomorrow morning. Last Friday, just one week ago, we passed 10 million cases. This thing is really surging, as predicted by people who knew what they were talking about.

I still vividly recall, back in August, how quickly trump contradicted Fauci's warnings about a Fall surge by saying, "We may have some embers," but that would be about it.
Old 13th November 2020, 09:54 AM   #2704
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
This is a nightmare. If ever there was an analogy of Nero fiddling while Rome burned this is it.

Possible outcomes:
1) Trump pulls off his coup while the country falls into deep deep trouble.
1.a) We lose a whole slew of maskless right-wingers.
2) Overflowing hospitals and the economy tanking more override the media's attention to Trump (because they are doing it again, promoting Trump feeding his gaslighting)
2.a) The public wakes up and demands the election end and be called for Biden.
Can we vote? I vote for 1.a.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 11:32 AM   #2705
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

We could go over 11 million cases today or tomorrow morning. Last Friday, just one week ago, we passed 10 million cases. This thing is really surging, as predicted by people who knew what they were talking about.

I still vividly recall, back in August, how quickly trump contradicted Fauci's warnings about a Fall surge by saying, "We may have some embers," but that would be about it.
Over 932,000 new cases in seven days. We're really turning that corner now!
Old 13th November 2020, 11:52 AM   #2706
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

So, has there been any indication that, since we're still talking about the pandemic after Nov. 3rd, any of the MAGAbots are beginning to realize that it wasn't "all political" after all?
Old 13th November 2020, 12:12 PM   #2707
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Surprise::that QANON nutcase just elected to the House from..wait for it...Georgia says Masks are evil:

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5...are-oppressive

She is going to to take Steve King's place as the most notorious loon in congress, and the Dems will try to make her the new face of the GOP.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 13th November 2020 at 12:18 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 02:26 PM   #2708
Armitage72
Philosopher

Over 130 Secret Service officers infected or in quarantine after the campaign.

Quote:
More than 130 Secret Service officers who help protect the White House and the president when he travels have recently been ordered to isolate or quarantine because they tested positive for the coronavirus or had close contact with infected co-workers, according to three people familiar with agency staffing.

The spread of the coronavirus — which has sidelined roughly 10 percent of the agency’s core security team — is believed to be partly linked to a series of campaign rallies that President Trump held in the weeks before the Nov. 3 election, according to the people, who, like others interviewed for this report, spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the situation.

They're supposed to be expendable, right? That's what they're there for. They threw themselves between Trump and the virus.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 02:35 PM   #2709
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Surprise::that QANON nutcase just elected to the House from..wait for it...Georgia says Masks are evil:

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5...are-oppressive

She is going to to take Steve King's place as the most notorious loon in congress, and the Dems will try to make her the new face of the GOP.
She got Trump's endorsement and the GOP leadership has continued to accept him as their standard bearer, so making her the face of the modern Republican party is entirely just.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 04:58 PM   #2710
fromdownunder
Philosopher

It seems to me that the current spike probably comes from close encounters of the election day kind. The timing of the serious surge in numbers (as opposed to "normal" increases) started about a week after the election.

Norm

Last edited by fromdownunder; 13th November 2020 at 04:59 PM.
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 06:55 PM   #2711
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

From Worldometer:

United States
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

New Cases:
New Deaths:
Old 13th November 2020, 07:07 PM   #2712
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

From Worldometer:

United States
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

New Cases:
New Deaths:
Illinois leading the way. That'll teach them to vote against Trump!
Texas a pretty close second. That'll teach them to even think of voting against Trump!

ETA: That's new cases in the above. Texas is number one in deaths. We're number one!

Last edited by Trebuchet; 13th November 2020 at 07:08 PM.
Trebuchet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 07:25 PM   #2713
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
She got Trump's endorsement and the GOP leadership has continued to accept him as their standard bearer, so making her the face of the modern Republican party is entirely just.
She is moving right. into "the House's worst loon" space vacated by Steven King of Iowa.
GIven that she has already gotten into a feud with one of the ranking GOP hourse members I suspect she will attack the GOP leadership as being "RINOS" and too lar to the left.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 07:27 PM   #2714
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Look for Biden to use the US Military heavily in the distribution of the Covir virus vaccine. US Military is just about the only organization that has the capacity for the heavy logistical lifignt that is going to be required.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th November 2020, 07:38 PM   #2715
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Overall, New York State has suffered more Covid-19 fatalities than Texas, 33,955 to 19,946. But look at the charts below and see the difference in the outcomes in the two states. In New York the number of daily deaths began falling significantly in early May and we have succeeded in keeping the number down. This is dramatically illustrated by comparing yesterday's total, when 26 New Yorkers passed away, with the 957 people who died in New York on April 12th. In Texas the number of fatalities began rising in early July and have remained fairly constant ever since. On April 12th Texas recorded 23 fatalities and seven months later, on November 12th, 161 Texans died.

It didn't have to be this way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NY Deaths 11122020.jpg (38.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg TX Deaths 11122020.jpg (16.0 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by newyorkguy; 13th November 2020 at 08:55 PM.
Old 13th November 2020, 08:09 PM   #2716
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Look for Biden to use the US Military heavily in the distribution of the Covir virus vaccine. US Military is just about the only organization that has the capacity for the heavy logistical lifignt that is going to be required.
Especially if 20 million are supposed to receive it by year's end, according to the idiot in chief's claim.
Old 13th November 2020, 09:47 PM   #2717
slyjoe
Master Poster

That organization is already set up. It was on 60 minutes last Sunday (i think that's where I saw it). They are woefully unprepared.
Old 13th November 2020, 09:48 PM   #2718
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Does the Army have supercold freezers?
https://slate.com/technology/2020/11...ply-chain.html
Old 13th November 2020, 09:54 PM   #2719
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Especially if 20 million are supposed to receive it by year's end, according to the idiot in chief's claim.
If 20 million people are supposed to receive it by year's end, Biden won't have anything to do with it.
Old 13th November 2020, 09:59 PM   #2720
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
If 20 million people are supposed to receive it by year's end, Biden won't have anything to do with it.
I was responding to the second sentence; should have edited.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics