IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , joe biden

Closed Thread
Old 10th November 2020, 01:07 PM   #641
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

What's going on here?

White House tells federal agencies to proceed with plans for Trump’s February budget in latest sign...
“They’re pretending nothing happened,” one administration official involved in the federal budget process said.
washingtonpost.com
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 01:12 PM   #642
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
What's going on here?

White House tells federal agencies to proceed with plans for Trump’s February budget in latest sign...
“They’re pretending nothing happened,” one administration official involved in the federal budget process said.
washingtonpost.com
The is getting crazier and crazier.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 01:13 PM   #643
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Sorbo is still drunk.

Kevin Sorbo
@ksorbs
I’ve decided that since Joe Biden can be president-elect, I too shall identify as president-elect
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 01:13 PM   #644
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
After spending lots of time on social media that's the most sophisticated defense of Trump's behavior I've heard so far. Trump's not as bad as you think he is because Congress and the courts or his advisors will stop his excesses.
I mentioned this movie a lot but there's a scene in the Cold War docu-drama 13 Days about the Cuban Missile Crisis.

President Kennedy: Dean, how does this all play out?
Dean Acheson: Your first step Sir, will be to demand that the Soviet withdraw the missiles within 12 to 24 hours. They will refuse. When they do you will order the strikes, followed by the invasion [of Cuba]. They will resist and be overrun. They will retaliate against another target somewhere else in the world, most likely Berlin. We will honor our treaty commitments and resist them there, defeating them per our plans.
President Kennedy: Those plans call for the use of nuclear weapons.
Dean Acheson: *Says nothing.*
President Kennedy: What's the next step?
Dean Acheson: Hopefully cooler heads will prevail before the next step.

*Later in private, President Kennedy talks to his brother Bobby and Special Assistant to the President Ken O'Donnell*

Ken O'Donnell: Yah know call me Irish but I don't believe in cooler heads prevailing.

I feel like that's how the Right is treating Trump, with this vague idea that if he gets to bad some vague, undefined force will just "handle it."

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 10th November 2020 at 01:17 PM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 01:23 PM   #645
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Think of this as the grieving process stages:

Denial ... Anger ... Bargaining ... Depression ... Acceptance.

He's in denial: he couldn't have lost; the SCOTUS will make him king. He has anger mixing in. Bargaining might consist of 'if other people had done better'. Usually it's the grieving person who obsesses about 'if only I had'.

I suspect then he'll never move past depression into acceptance. Or maybe moving out of the WH will be a modified version of acceptance.
That will be it. It's like after one has sat an important exam: some people instantly forget about it, others obsess over what marks they might have tallied up by going over each of the questions one by one. They give themselves the benefit of a doubt, scoring themselves the maximum points and smugly noting how everybody is saying how hard that exam was, whilst you thought it easy.

Trump is calculating. He thought if he plays up his spell of Covid19 with fancy press conferences and showing people how tough he is to overcome it, and what's more he went out and met the crowds, that's a few thousand votes in his favour. There were those rallies when he was sure his Dad dancing would endear the crowds. Yes, in his mind, he had it all sewn up.

But then the exam results day came through. A big fat FAIL. The bloody bastards! Added it all up wrong! He just knows he ACED it!!! He's going to appeal. He's going to get it re-marked. He's got the Proud Boys standing back and on stand by. He's got Guiliani, he's got Barr, he's got Eric and Don Jnr. He's got Fox News. He wuz robbed.

Next comes the anger.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 01:27 PM   #646
rdaneel
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I feel like that's how the Right is treating Trump, with this vague idea that if he gets to bad some vague, undefined force will just "handle it."
It's not hard to believe in them thinking some "Invisible Hand" is going to solve everything.
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 01:32 PM   #647
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Sorbo is still drunk.

Kevin Sorbo
@ksorbs
I’ve decided that since Joe Biden can be president-elect, I too shall identify as president-elect
Actually, you identify as a washed-up never-was currently relegated to "starring" in David A. R. White christian propaganda movies.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 01:35 PM   #648
eerok
Quixoticist

"We're gonna find somebody accountable for something" Lindsey Graham
He will if he looks in the mirror. Just kidding. None of the GOP consider themselves accountable for any of their BS.
Old 10th November 2020, 01:35 PM   #649
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Actually, you identify as a washed-up never-was currently relegated to "starring" in David A. R. White christian propaganda movies.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 01:38 PM   #650
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
That will be it. It's like after one has sat an important exam: some people instantly forget about it, others obsess over what marks they might have tallied up by going over each of the questions one by one. They give themselves the benefit of a doubt, scoring themselves the maximum points and smugly noting how everybody is saying how hard that exam was, whilst you thought it easy.

Trump is calculating. He thought if he plays up his spell of Covid19 with fancy press conferences and showing people how tough he is to overcome it, and what's more he went out and met the crowds, that's a few thousand votes in his favour. There were those rallies when he was sure his Dad dancing would endear the crowds. Yes, in his mind, he had it all sewn up.

But then the exam results day came through. A big fat FAIL. The bloody bastards! Added it all up wrong! He just knows he ACED it!!! He's going to appeal. He's going to get it re-marked. He's got the Proud Boys standing back and on stand by. He's got Guiliani, he's got Barr, he's got Eric and Don Jnr. He's got Fox News. He wuz robbed.

Next comes the anger.

I expect he's already gotten to the anger part.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 01:44 PM   #651
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Naa, Pompeo is all in on Trump.
Pompeo wants to be 47 (or 48 should Pence become queen for a day). He's making a calculation WRT the deplorables' value to him in a couple years.
Old 10th November 2020, 01:46 PM   #652
rdaneel
Illuminator

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
That's his secret, he's always angry.

TRUMP SMA *wheeeeeze* *cough* *cough*
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 01:49 PM   #653
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

"You ain't seen nothin' yet
B-b-b-baby, you just ain't seen n-n-nothin' yet
Here's something that you're never gonna forget
B-b-b-baby, you just ain't seen n-n-nothin' yet
" - Bachman Turner Overdrive

Get the pop corn in.

Mary Trump says her Uncle Donald is a cruel vindictive man and I believe her. He will punish the American people as an act of revenge, simply because he can.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 02:33 PM   #654
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Well, somebody once said (sorry, I fail to remember who):

People want to be loved.
If they can't be loved, they want to be respected.
If they can't be respected, they want to be feared.
If they can't be feared, they want to be despised.

I think Trump fits into this nicely.

Hans
Old 10th November 2020, 02:33 PM   #655
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Quote:
Pompeo sounds like a hostage telling the press how well he's being treated by his torturers.
This is dangerous stuff and I'm not sure he believes what he's saying.The man will be out of a job in two and a half months. He should have kept his damn mouth shut. If he has future political aspirations, which I think he does, this will come back to bite him in the ass.
Maybe, maybe not.

His association with the Trump administration would have destroyed any chance of being seen as a 'moderate' republican. So if he does have future plans, he probably thinks he had to go the whole Trump.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 02:40 PM   #656
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/fabfashionista8/...617022470?s=20

Quote:
#Biden leads by :

#Pennsylvania 47,078 98%

#Arizona 14,733 98%

#Nevada 36,274 97%

#Georgia 12,651 >99%

4:30 PM EST
Still more to come.

Old 10th November 2020, 02:47 PM   #657
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

With the exception of Oregon where the only way to vote is by mail. There is no in-person voting at all.
Huh. So Oregon is one big voting fraud, eh?
Old 10th November 2020, 02:59 PM   #658
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
The current, fundamental argument by the Trump-lovers is that every state's voting system is corrupt. That's the only way they can possibly justify the idea that tens of thousands of votes across what ended up being the swing states were falsified by Democrats (while Republican poll watchers looked on of course - probably RINOs) in order to win the presidential election. It's either a vast, nationwide conspiracy or Trump and his pissant followers are entirely full of ****.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 03:00 PM   #659
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Er, how? That's a gain of about 360,000 votes for Biden. How many votes are still outstanding?

I'm not saying you're wrong. I don't know how many votes are uncounted and where, but 300k sounds high to me.
New York City alone has more than 700,000 absentee ballots. They started counting them today.

https://twitter.com/BOENYC/status/13...578214912?s=19

California estimates it still has some 2,000,000 ballots to count.

https://electionresults.sos.ca.gov/u...ballots-status

Last edited by Firestone; 10th November 2020 at 03:05 PM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 03:01 PM   #660
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Pompeo sounds like a hostage telling the press how well he's being treated by his torturers.
------------------------------------------------------
This is dangerous stuff and I'm not sure he believes what he's saying. The man will be out of a job in two and a half months. He should have kept his damn mouth shut. If he has future political aspirations, which I think he does, this will come back to bite him in the ass.

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Maybe, maybe not.

His association with the Trump administration would have destroyed any chance of being seen as a 'moderate' republican. So if he does have future plans, he probably thinks he had to go the whole Trump.
You misquoted. "This is dangerous stuff and I'm not sure he believes what he's saying," is what Capt. Swoop said, not me.

The Dems will use that quote against him and ridicule him for it as Trump will not have a transition into a second term. Besides, he's already gone the whole Trump. He didn't have to hand Dems a great line to use against him. I highly doubt Trump would be elected if he ran again considering that he got his ass whooped this time.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 03:06 PM   #661
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I fully admit I'm concerned that Trump and the GOP have begun a coup de etat.

That said, the press conference President Elect Joe Biden just held makes me feel so much more at ease. Nice to see a steady hand on the tiller.

https://youtu.be/qTBO43ND-2o
Old 10th November 2020, 03:08 PM   #662
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
Apparently. We've been voting exclusively by mail since 1998 with virtually no incidents of fraud.

Quote:
Oregon has mailed out millions of ballots over the past three decades, with about a dozen cases of actual fraud. Most problems were unintentional errors involving signing the wrong mailing envelope or assuming that a voter could sign the mailing envelope for a family member.
Old 10th November 2020, 03:08 PM   #663
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
New York City alone has more than 700,000 absentee ballots. They started counting them today.

https://twitter.com/BOENYC/status/13...578214912?s=19

California estimates it still has some 2,000,000 ballots to count.

https://electionresults.sos.ca.gov/u...ballots-status
Had no idea that some states had so many votes left. Thanks.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 03:14 PM   #664
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Well, we aren't one of them.

I told the guy my name, he looked it up, gave me a form to sign, and sent me down the line to get a ballot.

I tried to show him my voter registration card, but he wasn't interested.
Yep, same here. They looked up my name and had me sign a tablet with a stylus. I joked, after signing, "Hey, that's better than my usual pen signature". They laughed, handed me my ballot and shoved me in a booth, no IDs.

Last edited by The Man; 10th November 2020 at 04:21 PM. Reason: typo
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 03:22 PM   #665
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Unsure how many grokked that, but kudos.
Or Kuatos, as the case may be.
Old 10th November 2020, 03:33 PM   #666
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post

That said, the press conference President Elect Joe Biden just held makes me feel so much more at ease. Nice to see a steady hand on the tiller.

And, I suspect that Biden's team is putting nothing past the current "Administration," and is ready for the worst. If it comes to it, I think Trump would be physically removed from the White House by 1:00 pm or so on Jan. 20, if not before noon, via the Secret Service or other similar law enforcement. I don't think the military will support the coup, either.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 03:35 PM   #667
Armitage72
Philosopher

What's going on here?

washingtonpost.com

Someone on another forum said that it's normal for an outgoing President to put together a budget, which is then modified by the incoming President. President Obama created one before he left office.
I don't know if that's what this is referring to though.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 03:37 PM   #668
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla;13289984[B
]I fully admit I'm concerned that Trump and the GOP have begun a coup de etat.[/b]

THen prepare yourself: buy a good rifle and learn how to use it.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 03:39 PM   #669
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Reports that the reason the SOP is supporting Trump is not so kmuch they expect him to win, but they want him to fire up voters in Georgia in the senate run offs.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 03:44 PM   #670
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Someone on another forum said that it's normal for an outgoing President to put together a budget, which is then modified by the incoming President. President Obama created one before he left office.
I don't know if that's what this is referring to though.
Yes it is. Budgets drawn up by the President at any time isn't worth the paper they are printed on. Congress writes the budget. But since it must be signed by POTUS or passed with a 2/3rds majority so wheeling and dealing is still required.
Old 10th November 2020, 03:48 PM   #671
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post

An ex-FBI executive now commenting on MSNBC says we are now in what amounts to a hostage situation, with Trump barricaded in the White House, and Biden has adopted the same calm, reassuring tone used by hostage negotiators: "Everything's OK, I understand how you feel, let's work this out," etc. At the same time they're positioning the SWAT team.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 03:50 PM   #672
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

We're watching Trump continue to be irrational, with the collusion and support of the leaders of the GOP. And at great cost to the welfare and future of the country.
I guess that's a difference - I don't see there being any cost other than the space you give it in your head. All of Trump's bitching and posturing will, at best, introduce some delay. It's a distraction and a waste of time. But it has no material impact on the welfare of the country, nor does it have any affect on the future of the country. It's mostly annoying and embarrassing.
Old 10th November 2020, 04:00 PM   #673
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Officials worry that Trump, facing a billion dollars in loans coming due, might negotiate with his knowledge of the nation's deepest secrets.
Quote:
Not only does Trump have a history of disclosures, he checks the boxes of a classic counterintelligence risk: He is deeply in debt and angry at the U.S. government, particularly what he describes as the “deep state” conspiracy that he believes tried to stop him from winning the White House in 2016 and what he falsely claims is an illegal effort to rob him of reelection.

“Anyone who is disgruntled, dissatisfied or aggrieved is a risk of disclosing classified information, whether as a current or former officeholder. Trump certainly fits that profile,” said David Priess, a former CIA officer and author of “The President’s Book of Secrets,” a history of the top-secret intelligence briefings that presidents and their staff receive while in office.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...fc0_story.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 04:08 PM   #674
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Pompeo wants to be 47 (or 48 should Pence become queen for a day). He's making a calculation WRT the deplorables' value to him in a couple years.
Yep, that's it.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 04:19 PM   #675
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Ballot Corruption will be exposed tonight at 9:00pmE on @SeanHannity on @FoxNews!
Old 10th November 2020, 04:21 PM   #676
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

BREAKING: Postal worker admits fabricating allegations of ballot tampering, officials say

Postal worker admits fabricating allegations of ballot tampering, officials say
A Pennsylvania postal worker whose claims have been cited by top Republicans as potential evidence of widespread voting irregularities recanted to U.S. Postal Service investigators.
washingtonpost.com
Old 10th November 2020, 04:25 PM   #677
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The Republican Party are going all in! Either they stage an all out coup or they disgrace themselves for generations to come.
This is madness.
Old 10th November 2020, 04:27 PM   #678
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I guess that's a difference - I don't see there being any cost other than the space you give it in your head. All of Trump's bitching and posturing will, at best, introduce some delay. It's a distraction and a waste of time. But it has no material impact on the welfare of the country, nor does it have any affect on the future of the country. It's mostly annoying and embarrassing.
As I recall that was the scenario layout sometime ago. Delay certification until after the deadline, then the legislatures get to choose electors favorable to Trump.
Old 10th November 2020, 04:32 PM   #679
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

BREAKING: Postal worker admits fabricating allegations of ballot tampering, officials say

Postal worker admits fabricating allegations of ballot tampering, officials say
A Pennsylvania postal worker whose claims have been cited by top Republicans as potential evidence of widespread voting irregularities recanted to U.S. Postal Service investigators.
washingtonpost.com

From the Washington Post Article:
Quote:
Richard Hopkins’ claim that a postmaster in Erie, Pa., instructed postal workers to backdate ballots mailed after Election Day was cited by Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) in a letter to the Department of Justice calling for a federal investigation. Attorney General William P. Barr subsequently authorized federal prosecutors to open probes into credible allegations of voting irregularities and fraud, a reversal of long-standing Justice Department policy.

But on Monday, Hopkins, 32, told investigators from the U.S. Postal Service’s Office of Inspector General that the allegations were not true, and he signed an affidavit recanting his claims, according to the sources who spoke on condition of anonymity to describe an ongoing investigation. Democrats on the House oversight committee tweeted late Tuesday that the “whistleblower completely RECANTED.”

Hopkins did not respond to messages seeking comment.

The reversal comes as Trump has refused to concede to President-Elect Joe Biden (D), citing unproven allegations about widespread voter fraud in an attempt to swing the results in his favor. Republicans held up Hopkins’ claims as among the most credible because he signed an affidavit swearing that he overheard a supervisor instructing colleagues to backdate ballots mailed after Nov. 3.

The Trump campaign provided that affidavit to Graham, who in turn asked the Department of Justice and Federal Bureau of Investigation to launch an investigation.

The Trump campaign also cited reports of the allegation in a federal lawsuit filed Monday against Pennsylvania election officials that seeks to prevent them from certifying the states’ election results.

The Trump campaign, the Department of Justice and Graham did not immediately respond to requests for comment Tuesday.

The Erie postmaster, Rob Weisenbach, called the allegations “100% false” in a Facebook post and said they were made “by an employee that was recently disciplined multiple times.”

“The Erie Post Office did not back date any ballots,” Weisenbach wrote.

The Postal Service Inspector General’s Office informed members of Congress in a briefing on Tuesday that Hopkins had recanted his allegations, according to a Congressional aide. The investigators first interviewed Hopkins on Friday, the aide said.

Hopkins’ allegations, without his name, were first aired last week by Project Veritas, an organization that uses deceptive tactics to expose what it says is bias and corruption in the mainstream media. Hopkins agreed to attach his name to the allegations late last week. He was instantly celebrated by Trump supporters.
Old 10th November 2020, 04:32 PM   #680
eerok
Quixoticist

The Republican Party are going all in! Either they stage an all out coup or they disgrace themselves for generations to come.
This is madness.
Disgrace, madness. Just another day for the GOP.

There's no doubt that they all know that Trump can't win, so they're also faithless, dishonest, sleazy, unprincipled, self-serving... but most of all cowardly, because they know Trump can lash out at them.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics