IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , joe biden

Closed Thread
Old 11th November 2020, 10:33 AM   #841
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Tweets flagged by Twitter:
This claim about election fraud is disputed

Trump Tweets

The Fake Pollsters at @ABC/@washingtonpost produced a possibly illegal suppression Poll just before the Election showing me down 17 points in Wisconsin when, in fact, on Election Day, the race was even - & we are now preparing to win the state. Many such “deplorable” instances!

A guy named Al Schmidt, a Philadelphia Commissioner and so-called Republican (RINO), is being used big time by the Fake News Media to explain how honest things were with respect to the Election in Philadelphia. He refuses to look at a mountain of corruption & dishonesty. We win!
That lousy Al Schmidt. smh.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th November 2020, 10:37 AM   #842
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Isn't it just an automatic recount based on the narrow victory margin for Biden?

Dave
But that doesn't need to be a HAND recount
Old 11th November 2020, 10:38 AM   #843
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Trump wins Alaska. From AP:

Quote:
President Donald Trump has won the state of Alaska.

The Republican nominee was awarded the state’s three electoral votes, pushing his Electoral College tally to 217.

His Democratic opponent, Joe Biden, was declared the winner of the presidential election on Nov. 7 after flipping Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin. Trump won those states in 2016.

Biden has 290 electoral votes.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th November 2020, 10:41 AM   #844
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
From Politico:

My main point is a full hand recount is less accurate than a machine recount.
I agree.

A hand recount means a lot more people involved, and a lot more locations (even if it means more tables in a gym). Then you have to combine all those counts.

It would be more efficient and less diffuse to run a stack of 100 000 through a machine in a couple of hours than to have them split out into 20 stacks of 5 000
Old 11th November 2020, 10:43 AM   #845
Paul2
Philosopher

For those (like me) who are paranoid about Trump stealing the election, here is some comfort that has some substance behind it, scroll to 2:55 when Jake Tapper mentions that he's been talking with Republicans:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1326295478175211521

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th November 2020, 10:43 AM   #846
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
It's already the way, and has been for a while. The (probably needless) investigation would put to rest some of the concerns, and potentially strengthen our election system, because it does have loopholes. Even if the impact of those loopholes is small, they do exist, and thus will always be a source of conflict.

The tactics are different by party, but most of the strategies are the same. For the Republicans right now, it's voter fraud (which they've used before as well). In 2016, it was the Democrats crying that Russians hacked the voter booths. The Obama Birthers got replaced by the Pee Tapers. This isn't new. But Trump sure does make it blatant.
Oh? Name a single prominent Democrat who gave any time to the pee tape allegations.

Investigating Russian influence and Trump's willingness to accept it is not even close to Birtherism.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th November 2020, 10:45 AM   #847
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Georgia secretary of state announces hand recount of presidential race

Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger announced Wednesday his state will conduct a manual hand recount of all ballots cast in the presidential race in the state, as he faces growing pressure from fellow Georgia Republicans over unsubstantiated accusations of voting irregularities and mismanagement of the state's elections.

"This will help build confidence. It will be an audit, a recount and a recanvass all at once," Raffensperger said at a press conference. "It will be a heavy lift."

He said the presidential contest will undergo a risk-limiting audit, which requires a full by-hand recount in each of Georgia's 159 counties.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/georgia...idential-race/
If it's 'an audit', it is likely to be based on random samples rather than all six million or so.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th November 2020, 10:47 AM   #848
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

And I'm sure that if Trump had won the EC vote, all of the democrats in the country would have just gone quietly without protests of any sort, right?

Different actors, same play.

But that's okay, I'm well aware of your deep partisanship.
There may well have been large protests had Trump won. I don't believe Democratic leadership would claim the election was utterly fraudulent. That's a big difference that you can't pretend not to notice.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th November 2020, 10:48 AM   #849
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
We have Rudy Gulliani on ISF?!
I am sure we have had worse.

Old 11th November 2020, 10:48 AM   #850
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
That lousy Al Schmidt. smh.
There was a twitter thread about this guy.

You talk about REAL republican, this is the guy. Working hard to fight the democratic machine in Philadelphia, eventually got himself elected.

If this is not what the Republicans want working for them, then that is their problem.
Old 11th November 2020, 10:49 AM   #851
wareyin
Philosopher

The tactics are different by party, but most of the strategies are the same. For the Republicans right now, it's voter fraud (which they've used before as well). In 2016, it was the Democrats crying that Russians hacked the voter booths. The Obama Birthers got replaced by the Pee Tapers. This isn't new. But Trump sure does make it blatant.
No. In 2016 Democrats were complaining about Russian interference, especially with regard to social media campaigns, wikileaks, and the like. And those complaints were found to be valid by the Republican led Senate panel that investigated
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th November 2020, 10:50 AM   #852
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
If it's 'an audit', it is likely to be based on random samples rather than all six million or so.
He's going beyond that.

ETA: See my post 841.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th November 2020, 10:53 AM   #853
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Latest vote total

Biden: 77,279,336
Trump: 72,198,523

Margin: 5,080,813

https://cookpolitical.com/2020-natio...r-vote-tracker
Old 11th November 2020, 10:53 AM   #854
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Georgia hand recount is a poor approach. These things should be based on evidence. And assuming a hand recount is better than a machine recount is incorrect.

ETA: I seem to remember someone having a signature to the effect "A man with a single watch knows what time it is, while a man with two watches is never sure."
To be fair, a man with one watch is confident about the time, while a man with two watches is not. Not quite the same thing.
Old 11th November 2020, 10:53 AM   #855
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Oh? Name a single prominent Democrat who gave any time to the pee tape allegations.

Investigating Russian influence and Trump's willingness to accept it is not even close to Birtherism.
Yeah, and the Russian interference in the 2016 elections is well documented for all who haven't decided not to look.
Old 11th November 2020, 10:54 AM   #856
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
No. In 2016 Democrats were complaining about Russian interference, especially with regard to social media campaigns, wikileaks, and the like. And those complaints were found to be valid by the Republican led Senate panel that investigated
To be fair, I did hear a lot of people crying about Russians hacking voter booths. However, no elected officials that I am aware of ever said that. It was just yammering on social media and the like.
Old 11th November 2020, 10:55 AM   #857
slyjoe
Master Poster

To be fair, a man with one watch is confident about the time, while a man with two watches is not. Not quite the same thing.
Thanks - you are correct. I was going off the top of my head.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th November 2020, 10:58 AM   #858
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I do think that Emily's Cat seems to be quite careful in parsing claims about Trump but quite footloose when describing the actions of Democrats. It does not result in a fair comparison and weakens her claim that both sides are driven by partisanship to similar degree.
Old 11th November 2020, 11:01 AM   #859
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
In every case, it will come down to the Supreme Court, and Roberts and Gorsuch in particular, I think. If state legislatures try to install their hand-picked electors, the Dems will file suit and it will go to SCOTUS. Any Trump lawsuit will wind up at SCOTUS.
While my stomach knots over the election clearly are not over as I thought they would be, which states are these that you think the legislators are interested in installing unfaithful electors?

Because I've only heard from one (can't remember which one) and they insisted they are not about to overturn the vote in their states.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th November 2020, 11:02 AM   #860
Paul2
Philosopher

This is a great, slick, "economical burn" by Joe Biden. He's not actually saying explicitly what everyone knows he's talking about, and then lets you know that with that knowing laugh! That laugh just warms my heart.

https://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/s...nistrue.com%2F

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th November 2020, 11:03 AM   #861
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
While my stomach knots over the election clearly are not over as I thought they would be, which states are these that you think the legislators are interested in installing unfaithful electors?

Because I've only heard from one (can't remember which one) and they insisted they are not about to overturn the vote in their states.
I think that was PA, which is obviously crucial.

Things can change. We need to hear the overweight female vocalizing.

That it has to happen in multiple states greatly reduces its chances.

You never know.

Old 11th November 2020, 11:07 AM   #862
eerok
Quixoticist

For those (like me) who are paranoid about Trump stealing the election, here is some comfort that has some substance behind it, scroll to 2:55 when Jake Tapper mentions that he's been talking with Republicans:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1326295478175211521
IMO America is divided, but far from broken. I don't think most Republicans would support actual shenanigans at this point, because the consequences would be dire. As has been suggested, they're playing a game hoping for an advantage in Georgia, and to protect themselves from Trump's deplorables.

That being said, I'm tempted to take a break from this whole election debacle, but I'm still not sure I can look away.
Old 11th November 2020, 11:08 AM   #863
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks - you are correct. I was going off the top of my head.
I think you got the saying correct. I just think that the saying is mistaken.
Old 11th November 2020, 11:09 AM   #864
wareyin
Philosopher

I do think that Emily's Cat seems to be quite careful in parsing claims about Trump but quite footloose when describing the actions of Democrats. It does not result in a fair comparison and weakens her claim that both sides are driven by partisanship to similar degree.
In the current political climate, to see both sides as the same it basically requires people to always interpret Republicans in the best light possible while also interpreting Democrats in the worst light possible.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th November 2020, 11:10 AM   #865
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Replacing the heads of all those military departments with minions is very disturbing.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th November 2020, 11:12 AM   #866
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Sadly, at this stage I'm not 100% convinced that the election will be certified for Joe Biden. Could GOP Senators refuse to certify the election because there are outstanding lawsuits and ensuring that the electoral process is robust for the future is far more important than certifying a single President, in dubious circumstances, today ?
Didn't you predict Trump would win the election?

Now what, are you predicting a banana republic coup here?
Old 11th November 2020, 11:14 AM   #867
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

And I'm sure that if Trump had won the EC vote, all of the democrats in the country would have just gone quietly without protests of any sort, right?

Different actors, same play.

But that's okay, I'm well aware of your deep partisanship.
We don't need alt history. We need only look back to 2016. With smaller margins, Clinton conceded defeat right away. No law suits. No denial of privileges for transfer of power. No Dem senators refusing to refer to Trump as President Elect.

Yet again, you're operating in counter-factual mode, riding a phony baloney centrist high horse.
Old 11th November 2020, 11:19 AM   #868
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Last I heard he refused to comment.

ETA: So now he posted a video saying he did not recant. If WAPO has any evidence showing otherwise, I don't know.

ETA: From the WAPO article:

If they have the signed affidavit, that should be easy enough to present.
As a general comment... "according to officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity" and similar vagaries tend to make me less than certain of what I'm reading.
Old 11th November 2020, 11:25 AM   #869
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I think The Don's pessimism is a nice balance to the hopes and dreams most of us have.

He was wrong about the election, and I bet he is happy about that. Well, as happy as he could get before realizing that this wasn't over and there was still some room to be pessimistic.

But, I was also wrong about the election. I thought the win would be more decisive and that the Senate would follow suit. And yes, there is still a chance in GA for the senate to follow, so I will continue to be hopeful.

We are all going to be wrong, one way or another. And in the end I will still appreciate the foggy wind that comes in from Don Manor, even if it mars my false hopes of a sunny day.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th November 2020, 11:30 AM   #870
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I thought it likely that he would win the election and he closed the margin on the polls even more than I'd feared.

I think it's more likely that having "lost" the election, he remains President. The means used will likely be legal, faithless electors, legal challenges and so on.

It's not a coup, it's using legal levers of power to achieve their objectives, something the GOP have been doing for years since they realised that winning elections fair and square is very hard.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th November 2020, 11:45 AM   #871
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
I don't think most Republicans would support actual shenanigans at this point, because the consequences would be dire.
Dire consequences have not stopped them in the past, unless you mean dire consequences to their political career, but then it's not clear that any dire consequences would happen to Repubs, especially those in states or districts that went for Trump.

As has been suggested, they're playing a game hoping for an advantage in Georgia, and to protect themselves from Trump's deplorables.
This is not mutually exclusive with supporting shenanigans.
That being said, I'm tempted to take a break from this whole election debacle, but I'm still not sure I can look away.
I know what'cha mean.

Old 11th November 2020, 11:49 AM   #872
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

I think that was PA, which is obviously crucial.

Things can change. We need to hear the overweight female vocalizing.

That it has to happen in multiple states greatly reduces its chances.

You never know.
Here is what is happening in PA. (Link is to Yahoo News story).

Quote:
Republicans in the Pennsylvania state legislature on Tuesday said they would take “extraordinary measures” to find out whether the election in their state was fair, despite having no evidence of any wrongdoing.

State Rep. Dawn Keefer, a Republican from York County, announced that Republicans in the state legislature would move to conduct an audit of the election, and that the state should not certify the election results, or select electors to the Electoral College, until it is completed.

“The General Assembly needs to take extraordinary measures to answer these extraordinary questions,” Keefer said while speaking in front of a group of a dozen or so House Republicans.

But Keefer admitted that she and the Pennsylvania GOP do not have anything more than questions. There is no evidence of anything resembling coordinated cheating in the election.

“We've just gotten a lot of allegations,” Keefer said, referring to what she said was a flurry of calls and e-mails from voters “who are concerned and outraged by the circumstances surrounding this election.”
They have nothing but allegations and "concerned citizens" who have no other reason for thinking that their state's popular vote is in question except what Trump and the GOP has fed them. But, based on that, they want to take "extraordinary measures" to override the electoral system they themselves (the legislature's GOP majority) set up.

Now, it's not likely that this will actually come to anything- as the article explains, it's the state's governor who "appoints electors, in accordance with the state’s popular vote returns." And that governor is a Democrat. But it's the mindset here that is concerning- the way this body of government seems so willing to just set aside a popular vote (that, as of now, has Biden up by a little under 50,000, with votes yet to count), for no other reason than that they don't like the results. And this is from the party that ostensibly wants the voter to have confidence in the integrity of their electoral process...while they're exploring avenues that will let them just set aside what those voters in that process have said.

I haven't been too concerned about Trump and his GOP enablers actually being able to bully their way to a win- and I'm still not overly concerned. But there's a scenario still in play here that's not an impossible one. If they somehow succeed in their "extraordinary measures" in PA, then, via recount, erase Biden's current 14,000 vote lead in GA, then all they need is AZ (where Biden's lead has shrunk to just under 13,000) and hanky-pank NV somehow to overcome or erase Biden's 36,000 vote lead there. Bam- by my math, with AK called today, that gives Trump 270 EC votes.

All very unlikely; but then, it's not that long ago when I would have thought that one of America's two major political parties even considering this sort of ******* was unlikely.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th November 2020, 11:59 AM   #873
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Even engineers and educators and other professionals apparently able to apply critical thinking skills in other areas can allow their critical thinking skills to be overpowered by their emotional and psychological needs.
Understood. But I think that lends support to my case that labeling them as “morons” is simplistic.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th November 2020, 12:04 PM   #874
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
We don't need alt history. We need only look back to 2016. With smaller margins, Clinton conceded defeat right away. No law suits. No denial of privileges for transfer of power. No Dem senators refusing to refer to Trump as President Elect.

Yet again, you're operating in counter-factual mode, riding a phony baloney centrist high horse.
Along those same lines...EC asked (a few pages ago) for a direct quote of Trump saying that he would only accept the election's result if he won.* I have to ask- why do we need him saying he would only accept the result if he won when he's here now refusing to accept the results because he didn't?

*And, as a matter of fact, he did say just just that in 2016 (link is to contemporaneous NPR article).

Quote:
"Ladies and gentleman I want to make a major announcement today," Trump said, continuing, "I would like to promise and pledge to all of my voters and supporters, and to all of the people of the United States, that I will totally accept the results of this great and historic presidential election ..."

But there was more. Trump then finished that sentence with, "if I win," seemingly admitting a strange logic: that a system rigged against him would be totally acceptable if that rigging ultimately worked out in his favor.
I suppose that could have been a stab at humor from a man not notable for any visible sense of humor; but I'll just quote one of our posters here (Mumbles, I think)- "when someone tells you who they are, believe them." Again, I see no reason to think that someone who has said he will only accept a win, and then refuses to accept a loss, is entitled to any presumption that he's not exactly who he says he is by both word and action.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th November 2020, 12:06 PM   #875
Emily's Cat

There may well have been large protests had Trump won. I don't believe Democratic leadership would claim the election was utterly fraudulent. That's a big difference that you can't pretend not to notice.
I'm not so certain. They may not have claimed it to be fraudulent, but I give it good odds that they would be challenging the votes in pretty much the same way in any state that was close. It's a difference in tactic, not in strategy.
Old 11th November 2020, 12:08 PM   #876
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
There's also the matter of the Leadership PAC that Trump announced he's creating. "Support me or you won't get any of the money I'll be raising."
As if the money would be going anywhere other than into his own pocket.
I think you are right on here.
Old 11th November 2020, 12:11 PM   #877
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It's already the way, and has been for a while. The (probably needless) investigation would put to rest some of the concerns, and potentially strengthen our election system, because it does have loopholes. Even if the impact of those loopholes is small, they do exist, and thus will always be a source of conflict.

That's quite the false equivalence you've built there.
Old 11th November 2020, 12:12 PM   #878
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

I'm not so certain. They may not have claimed it to be fraudulent, but I give it good odds that they would be challenging the votes in pretty much the same way in any state that was close. It's a difference in tactic, not in strategy.
Your lame bothsidesism continues to be unimpressive and unconvincing.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th November 2020, 12:12 PM   #879
Emily's Cat

They made a large enough claim about it to prompt an investigation of it.
Old 11th November 2020, 12:13 PM   #880
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Georgia secretary of state announces hand recount of presidential race

Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger announced Wednesday his state will conduct a manual hand recount of all ballots cast in the presidential race in the state, as he faces growing pressure from fellow Georgia Republicans over unsubstantiated accusations of voting irregularities and mismanagement of the state's elections.

"This will help build confidence. It will be an audit, a recount and a recanvass all at once," Raffensperger said at a press conference. "It will be a heavy lift."

He said the presidential contest will undergo a risk-limiting audit, which requires a full by-hand recount in each of Georgia's 159 counties.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/georgia...idential-race/
Apparently when this is done, Trump will have the option of ordering another count, if he chooses a stalling tactic.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics