IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , joe biden

Closed Thread
Old 10th November 2020, 11:41 AM   #561
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Does kind of piss all over the whole "No spamming" and "No hijacking" rules (which would also fall under the "LOL just ignore it if you don't like it" excuse) but apparently this is different for no reason...

At this point it is obvious he does it just because some people don't like it.
I couldn't disagree more. Many people, I'd say the majority, have expressed their support for his work in sludging through the cesspool of Trump's tweets and posting the more relevant ones here, including me. What's obvious is that you don't like it.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 11:41 AM   #562
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I think the comment meant Trump resigns making Pence 46.
46 Pence none the richer.
Old 10th November 2020, 11:42 AM   #563
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I couldn't disagree more. Many people, I'd say the majority, have expressed their support for his work in sludging through the cesspool of Trump's tweets and posting the more relevant ones here, including me. What's obvious is that you don't like it.
Oh I'm sorry I forgot things stopped being spamming and hijack because some people are too lazy to open Twitter in another tab. How careless of me.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 11:44 AM   #564
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Yes, I always love this portion of the discussion. Such a beautiful atmosphere, being gas-lit.
Gaslight is the best light! The finest light! So naturally warm! Everything bathed in a red-orange glow.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 11:44 AM   #565
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I'm with Stacy on this Joe. While I hate to see Swoop's posts, I understand he's just bringing the relevant tweets so I don't have to look at his feed.
Old 10th November 2020, 11:46 AM   #566
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I'm with Stacy on this Joe. While I hate to see Swoop's posts, I understand he's just bringing the relevant tweets so I don't have to look at his feed.
Well that's the beauty of it. If you don't like me complaining about you can just not read those posts.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 11:47 AM   #567
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

He could at least start a "Trump's Tweet" thread. But again I think him doing IN the threads is the point.
Old 10th November 2020, 11:48 AM   #568
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Well that's the beauty of it. If you don't like me complaining about you can just not read those posts.
I frequently don't
Old 10th November 2020, 11:50 AM   #569
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
It's not mind-reading. Trump stated outright that he would not accept any outcome where he was not the winner. He is claiming election fraud with no evidence, and trying to get the courts to interfere in the vote counting. This is a straight up attempt to steal the election.

And we shouldn't be surprised, because he has used similar tactics in his private business dealings. He is an inveterate liar and fraudster who has (mostly) gotten away with it so far. IOW, he has form. We don't need to read his mind to know what he is doing.
Yep, including a slew of SLAPP lawsuits.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 11:52 AM   #570
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

We're stuck in a loop.

The Republican cheat/break/stack/circumvent the system and when called it on go "Well that's the system, can't get mad at the system" and this means that they have successfully demonized either trying to fix the system or trying to force them to use the system honestly because they'll just play the "Well that's just a bias against us" card.
Old 10th November 2020, 11:53 AM   #571
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Oh I'm sorry I forgot things stopped being spamming and hijack because some people are too lazy to open Twitter in another tab. How careless of me.
It's not careless of you: you're just plain wrong. If it were hijacking and spamming the mods would have put a stop to it. Since Capt. Swoop has been providing this service for a long time and the mods have allowed it, they obviously do not think it breaks any rules. You can now respond with your customary snark when someone disagrees with you. I've expressed my opinion and getting into a pissing match with you isn't on my "to do" list today.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 11:54 AM   #572
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

If it were hijacking and spamming the mods would have put a stop to it.
That's an oddly familiar argument in this thread.

"Well it can't be wrong because if it were wrong the system would have stopped it."
Old 10th November 2020, 11:55 AM   #573
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Do you have a source for the highlighted? Prefereably one with context? My recollection (which could very well be faulty) is that he said he wouldn't accept it without making sure it was legitimate.
He said it multiple times, sometimes using weasel words, something he said it outright.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 11:55 AM   #574
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

You don't see the irony in your post Joe?
Old 10th November 2020, 11:56 AM   #575
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The whole "You showed me where Trump asked for a hamburger with cheese, but I asked you to show me where he asked for a cheeseburger" has been a favored gaslighting technique with the Trumpers for a while.
Old 10th November 2020, 11:57 AM   #576
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Nit - presidents are numbere66d by who they are, not by term. E.g., if Trump had won, he wouldn't be 46, he would still be 45.
What I was saying is that if Trump walks out, Pence becomes President until January 20, so Pence would be 46, and Biden 47.

Or....wait....Trump refuses to leave office, and is threatening to launch the nukes. He finds out he needs the Secretary of Defense to do that with him, but the new SecDef hasn't found his way around the White House, and gets lost. Mike Pence realizes what's going on, and has pangs of conscience. He goes to the White House guards, borrows one of their weapons, walks in and shoots the President dead in the Oval Office. Pence is now number 46. He calls Nancy Pelosi, tells her what has happened, and promises to resign if she pardons him for the murder of the President. She agrees, and throws in a Medal of Freedom in appreciation. Pelosi is President 47. Finally, January 20 rolls around, and Biden is 48.

Far fetched? Maybe.

But on the whole idea of Trump resigns before January 20, I certainly don't expect it, but it wouldn't be out of character for him. If the odds were long enough, like 20 to 1, I might take that bet.
Old 10th November 2020, 11:57 AM   #577
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

You don't see the irony in your post Joe?
No.

And to be clear I know what irony you think I'm supposed to see.

But I noticed that people who's answer to everything is "Just ignore it" can never seem to ignore people all that well. Ignoring people is always what they want other people to do.
Old 10th November 2020, 11:59 AM   #578
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Great, now I want Trump to concede and a cheeseburger. I don't have any hamburger meat in the house! Or buns. Or cheese. I really need to plan my grocery ordering better.
Old 10th November 2020, 11:59 AM   #579
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Sorry, I'm not being very clear This is all on me.

I'm trying (and failing) to say that in states where mail-in voting has been uncommon, it is reasonable to think that there would be a notable difference in party favorite between mail-in votes and in-person votes (like we saw in PA). But that in states where mail-in has been common and is well established, we wouldn't expect to see as big a difference. I wasn't saying that the overall outcome would be the same in terms of Red/Blue as in the past.
And where do you fit the pandemic variable into your formula?
Old 10th November 2020, 11:59 AM   #580
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
“There will be a smooth transition to a second Trump administration.”

Pompeo today.
This is unforgiveable.
Old 10th November 2020, 12:00 PM   #581
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
What I was saying is that if Trump walks out, Pence becomes President until January 20, so Pence would be 46, and Biden 47.

Or....wait....Trump refuses to leave office, and is threatening to launch the nukes. He finds out he needs the Secretary of Defense to do that with him, but the new SecDef hasn't found his way around the White House, and gets lost. Mike Pence realizes what's going on, and has pangs of conscience. He goes to the White House guards, borrows one of their weapons, walks in and shoots the President dead in the Oval Office. Pence is now number 46. He calls Nancy Pelosi, tells her what has happened, and promises to resign if she pardons him for the murder of the President. She agrees, and throws in a Medal of Freedom in appreciation. Pelosi is President 47. Finally, January 20 rolls around, and Biden is 48.

Far fetched? Maybe.

But on the whole idea of Trump resigns before January 20, I certainly don't expect it, but it wouldn't be out of character for him. If the odds were long enough, like 20 to 1, I might take that bet.
Does Grover Cleveland count as one president or two, in the numbering?
Old 10th November 2020, 12:01 PM   #582
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I don't know what you mean. Can you elaborate?
The two Senate seata in Georgia that go into a runoff: Democrats will move heaven and hell to win them.
Republicans will, too, but the last thing they need is a Trump who feels like Republicans have stabbed him in the back: they have to keep Trump happy, so he will campaign for the R-candidates.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 12:01 PM   #583
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Don't forget that Trump encouraged his supporters to NOT mail in ballots.
And that variable ^
Old 10th November 2020, 12:01 PM   #584
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

He's 22 and 24
Old 10th November 2020, 12:01 PM   #585
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Great, now I want Trump to concede and a cheeseburger. I don't have any hamburger meat in the house! Or buns. Or cheese. I really need to plan my grocery ordering better.
I'll have mine with swiss
Old 10th November 2020, 12:01 PM   #586
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Two. He was 22 and 24.
Old 10th November 2020, 12:04 PM   #587
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

That's all. Nothing more. The skew toward blue for Mail votes would reasonably be observable in states where mail-in has previously been uncommon, less so in areas where it was already common.
Nope. Trump was discouraging Republican voters from voting by mail and said many, many times this is how you do voting fraud, preparing ground for throwing these mail votes away.

So we can expect that blue skew in mail votes will appear everywhere, regardless of how long was customary to use mail votes in particular state.

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post

Movie with this kind of scenario should exist.
Old 10th November 2020, 12:04 PM   #588
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The two Senate seata in Georgia that go into a runoff: Democrats will move heaven and hell to win them.
Republicans will, too, but the last thing they need is a Trump who feels like Republicans have stabbed him in the back: they have to keep Trump happy, so he will campaign for the R-candidates.
I think McConnell might have that very runoff in mind given his statement today about POTUS' every right.
Old 10th November 2020, 12:04 PM   #589
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
He's 22 and 24
Sounds a bit like Time Lord regeneration numbering. "For timey-wimey reasons, President 22 was also 24." Most likely because 23's actor asked for too much money.
Old 10th November 2020, 12:06 PM   #590
Elagabalus
Philosopher

We're stuck in a loop.

The Republican cheat/break/stack/circumvent the system and when called it on go "Well that's the system, can't get mad at the system" and this means that they have successfully demonized either trying to fix the system or trying to force them to use the system honestly because they'll just play the "Well that's just a bias against us" card.

I say we go low on this one and just flip the board over (before the other side does it) and take a dump on it and enjoy the conservative cry-tears of "I can't believe you just did that! You're such a hypocrite! You've become us! That means we won!" And then we say "but you didn't win. Conservative tears are the best tears." Of course, right now I'm currently wearing a speedo and prepared to get muddy so I would say that.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 12:06 PM   #591
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

No.

And to be clear I know what irony you think I'm supposed to see.

But I noticed that people who's answer to everything is "Just ignore it" can never seem to ignore people all that well. Ignoring people is always what they want other people to do.
I really don't care about Swoop's posts or your snarks. I've never blocked a poster. You're entitled to your position whether I like it or not. I usually hate reading Swoop's posts but I do see their value.
Old 10th November 2020, 12:07 PM   #592
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
Nope. Trump was discouraging Republican voters from voting by mail and said many, many times this is how you do voting fraud, preparing ground for throwing these mail votes away.

So we can expect that blue skew in mail votes will appear everywhere, regardless of how long was customary to use mail votes in particular state.
Movie with this kind of scenario should exist.
With the exception of Oregon where the only way to vote is by mail. There is no in-person voting at all.
Old 10th November 2020, 12:08 PM   #593
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

This is unforgiveable.
It's not like he expects to keep his job if Trump is out. Barr and Pompeo both have minion credentials and both are serious Christian fundies.
Old 10th November 2020, 12:09 PM   #594
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
I say we go low on this one and just flip the board over (before the other side does it) and take a dump on it and enjoy the conservative cry-tears of "I can't believe you just did that! You're such a hypocrite! You've become us! That means we won!" And then we say "but you didn't win. Conservative tears are the best tears." Of course, right now I'm currently wearing a speedo and prepared to get muddy so I would say that.
The problem with choosing to "go low" isn't just one how far one is willing to go morally.

Provided one has "actually accomplishes something" listed among one of our morals I find the whole "Should we go low?" moral conundrum fairly humdrum if we're being honest. The Moral High Ground has never been a place on the battlefield I'm overly obsessed with holding.

My issue is more practical and prosaic. The Left just isn't as good at the old mud slinging routine as the Right is. It's not a question of whether or not stooping to their level makes us "as bad as them." It's a question as to whether or not the fight would actually be any easier for us if we do.

I'm less than convinced it would.
Old 10th November 2020, 12:10 PM   #595
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Good question.

22 and 24.

I now see Joe beat me to it.

Last edited by acbytesla; 10th November 2020 at 12:11 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 12:11 PM   #596
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I really don't care about Swoop's posts or your snarks. I've never blocked a poster. You're entitled to your position whether I like it or not. I usually hate reading Swoop's posts but I do see their value.
You're missing my point by a good country mile.

I'm expected to "just ignore" Swoop's endless spamming all the time across multiple threads you can ignore the one time in 6 months I've complained about it.

Yet you aren't. Funny that.
Old 10th November 2020, 12:12 PM   #597
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Pompeo sounds like a hostage telling the press how well he's being treated by his torturers.
This is dangerous stuff and I'm not sure he believes what he's saying.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 12:13 PM   #598
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

The problem with choosing to "go low" isn't just one how far one is willing to go morally.

Provided one has "actually accomplishes something" listed among one of our morals I find the whole "Should we go low?" moral conundrum fairly humdrum if we're being honest. The Moral High Ground has never been a place on the battlefield I'm overly obsessed with holding.
Tut, tut! As a brilliant orator, moral authority, and thinker once urged us to, I think we should "be best".
Old 10th November 2020, 12:14 PM   #599
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

With the exception of Oregon where the only way to vote is by mail. There is no in-person voting at all.
Are you sure Oregon doesn't have a mechanism where you can vote in person. Like you can here in Washington State? Which really is basically walking into County and being handed a provisional ballot.
Old 10th November 2020, 12:15 PM   #600
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Tut, tut! As a brilliant orator, moral authority, and thinker once urged us to, I think we should "be best".
"Try to please everyone and you're going to wind up the most popular man in the cemetery." - Bronn.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics