IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , joe biden

Closed Thread
Old 10th November 2020, 12:15 PM   #601
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
You're missing my point by a good country mile.

I'm expected to "just ignore" Swoop's endless spamming all the time across multiple threads you can ignore the one time in 6 months I've complained about it.

Yet you aren't. Funny that.
I don't see it as spam.
Old 10th November 2020, 12:16 PM   #602
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I really don't care about Swoop's posts or your snarks. I've never blocked a poster. You're entitled to your position whether I like it or not. I usually hate reading Swoop's posts but I do see their value.
It's been almost four years. We can put up with it for a few more weeks. (I don't know when Captain Swoop started posting them.) We only have a couple months to go. Twitter is then likely to ban The (former) PDJT, and he won't even be relevant any more.

I have a Twitter account myself but like staying updated here on his more egregious Tweets. Which unfortunately, happens to be most of them. (I think the request to put them in quotes has been ignored enough times to make it useless to complain about again at this late date. Never mind, I'm used to it now.)

Last edited by alfaniner; 10th November 2020 at 12:17 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 12:17 PM   #603
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Pompeo sounds like a hostage telling the press how well he's being treated by his torturers.
This is dangerous stuff and I'm not sure he believes what he's saying.
Naa, Pompeo is all in on Trump.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 12:17 PM   #604
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Are you sure Oregon doesn't have a mechanism where you can vote in person. Like you can here in Washington State? Which really is basically walking into County and being handed a provisional ballot.
Nope. Unless you have a disability that requires assistance from a voting rep.

https://sos.oregon.gov/voting/Pages/disabilities.aspx
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 12:18 PM   #605
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Pompeo sounds like a hostage telling the press how well he's being treated by his torturers.
Nah, we've been told multiple times this administration isn't fascistic --or should I say authoritarian super-nationalistic -- and Trump doesn't act like a dictator --or should I say authoritarian super-nationalist?
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 12:20 PM   #606
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The two Senate seata in Georgia that go into a runoff: Democrats will move heaven and hell to win them.
Republicans will, too, but the last thing they need is a Trump who feels like Republicans have stabbed him in the back: they have to keep Trump happy, so he will campaign for the R-candidates.
I'm not sure I agree with your assumptions here. It seems like you're assuming that the Rs in GA somehow need Trump's direct support in order to win those seats? If that's the case, I don't think that necessarily holds. There are a lot of states in the US this election that went to Biden, but who seated a lot of Republicans. To me, that indicates that a lot of people in general still view Republicans as favorable to Democrats, but view Trump specifically as a bad egg that needs to go. My inference could be wrong, but if that's the case, I'm not sure that Trump's emotional state really has any material effect on those run-offs in GA. I think you're giving him too much credit.
Old 10th November 2020, 12:21 PM   #607
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Does kind of piss all over the whole "No spamming" and "No hijacking" rules (which would also fall under the "LOL just ignore it if you don't like it" excuse) but apparently this is different for no reason...

At this point it is obvious he does it just because some people don't like it.

It could be equally obvious that he does it because some people do like it.

He has been asked to continue and thanked for doing it several times. By an assortment of people.

Thanks, again, CS. Keep up the good work.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 12:22 PM   #608
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I'm not sure I agree with your assumptions here. It seems like you're assuming that the Rs in GA somehow need Trump's direct support in order to win those seats? If that's the case, I don't think that necessarily holds. There are a lot of states in the US this election that went to Biden, but who seated a lot of Republicans. To me, that indicates that a lot of people in general still view Republicans as favorable to Democrats, but view Trump specifically as a bad egg that needs to go. My inference could be wrong, but if that's the case, I'm not sure that Trump's emotional state really has any material effect on those run-offs in GA. I think you're giving him too much credit.
Depends on why that happened, was it people actually cross over voting or just leaving down ballot races blank?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 12:22 PM   #609
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It's not like he expects to keep his job if Trump is out. Barr and Pompeo both have minion credentials and both are serious Christian fundies.
Of course not. But for him to say such a thing seriously undermines the credibility of US elections and supports Trump's insane claims. He's the Secretary of State for God's sake and he's standing up there saying to the world that our presidential election was a complete fraud. That is unforgiveable.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 12:23 PM   #610
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I can grok people voting in the major election and not voting in the mid-term, but at times it almost sounds like we're supposed to believe people go into a voting booth and vote one some elections on that ballot but not others which doesn't make any kind of sense.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 12:25 PM   #611
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
True, assuming all the legal challenges fail (likely at this point) Trump is out of office regardless... The big question is, How does Biden subsequently take power? Will there be the normal transition period (where incoming officials meet with outgoing officials, exchange information, etc.) Or will the Trump administration sit on its hands until January, and just... leave (causing as much damage on their way out as possible)

Too late for that. He's already ordered his pets to block the Biden transition team's efforts for a smooth hand-over.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 12:26 PM   #612
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Are you sure Oregon doesn't have a mechanism where you can vote in person. Like you can here in Washington State? Which really is basically walking into County and being handed a provisional ballot.
Yes, there is no in-person voting at all in OR.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 12:26 PM   #613
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I can grok people voting in the major election and not voting in the mid-term, but at times it almost sounds like we're supposed to believe people go into a voting booth and vote one some elections on that ballot but not others which doesn't make any kind of sense.
Well, I admit I skip filling out the ovals that are all "do you want to retain JUDGE SOMEONE NEVERHEARDOF in office as FIFTH DEPUTY CIRCUIT RECORDER ASSISTANT JUDGE?"
Old 10th November 2020, 12:27 PM   #614
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

There were a few items on this year's ballot that I abstained from. For example, I don't care who is on the school board, so I didn't vote. Similarly, there were some local judicial positions where I had no real information so I didn't vote on those. I imagine there are a lot of people who care about the president and their congresscritters, but don't care who their sheriff is.
Old 10th November 2020, 12:28 PM   #615
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
It'll be 5,000,000+ before it's all over....
Er, how? That's a gain of about 360,000 votes for Biden. How many votes are still outstanding?

I'm not saying you're wrong. I don't know how many votes are uncounted and where, but 300k sounds high to me.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 12:28 PM   #616
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Yet it happens. The principle is that they don't have an informed opinion and so are standing aside from voting in those races.

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/201...informed-voter
Old 10th November 2020, 12:28 PM   #617
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Well, I admit I skip filling out the ovals that are all "do you want to retain JUDGE SOMEONE NEVERHEARDOF in office as FIFTH DEPUTY CIRCUIT RECORDER ASSISTANT JUDGE?"
I had 6 "Soil and Water Conservation Managers" on my ballot, I sympathize.

But stuff like voting for President but then just not voting, not voting for a different party but straight up not voting, for like Senator or Representative. That can't be a statistically meaningful occurrence.
Old 10th November 2020, 12:28 PM   #618
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Disbelief View Post
Pfizer also did not use US funding, they got it from Germany.

Mebbe so, but they did get a $1.95 billion purchase order from the U.S. government for whenever they had a vaccine ready, which I'm sure went a long way toward buffering any concerns about investing in the research.

Old 10th November 2020, 12:29 PM   #619
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
I don't think the Four Seasons thing was a mistake. I think it was a miserable underling lashing out at terrible bosses.
LOL do you mean "malicious compliance"?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 12:30 PM   #620
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I doubt anyone is worried about whether or not the investment will be worth the cost for a vaccine for a global pandemic.
Old 10th November 2020, 12:31 PM   #621
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I had 6 "Soil and Water Conservation Managers" on my ballot, I sympathize.
Ballot measure: It is proposed to change the official title 'Soil and Water Conservation Manager' to 'Dirt & Drip Master'. Completely fill in oval to the left for 'Yes' or 'No'.
Old 10th November 2020, 12:31 PM   #622
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The man will be out of a job in two and a half months. He should have kept his damn mouth shut. If he has future political aspirations, which I think he does, this will come back to bite him in the ass.
Old 10th November 2020, 12:32 PM   #623
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I've done it. There are contests where I feel I don't feel I am familiar enough with the candidates and/or the issues so I simply pass on it.
Old 10th November 2020, 12:34 PM   #624
dirtywick
Illuminator

On my ballot most of the bottom was people running unopposed. I could see a lot of people skipping those also.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 12:37 PM   #625
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Again I'm not talking about not voting for "3rd Assistant Roadkill Scraper" or some ballot measure or whatever.

I'm talking about the big ones; President, Senator, House Rep, Governor, maybe state legislatures. Surely if you've dragged your hinder to the voting booth you're vaguely familiar with them.
Old 10th November 2020, 12:38 PM   #626
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I don't "carry his water". I just run out of patience for the inane overreactions that leave any vestige of reason behind.

I do the same thing on nearly any subject... but the topic selection here is quite one-sided, so there's not much opportunity to see me doing things like telling my niece that no, Biden isn't a rapist - he's weirdly huggy with young girls and seems to like kissing people's heads and smelling their hair, which is creepy, but he's not a rapist.

I was really hoping that when Trump lost, common sense (and decency) would reassert themselves. Sure, I know, he's still hollering into the wind... but I'm disappointed that the rest of you(g) otherwise intelligent folks haven't let it go and moved on to being rational again.

We're watching Trump continue to be irrational, with the collusion and support of the leaders of the GOP. And at great cost to the welfare and future of the country.

It doesn't have anything to do with us. Aside from concern that the nightmare isn't over yet.

That's not irrational, that's just recognising the reality of the situation.

Old 10th November 2020, 12:39 PM   #627
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

"We're gonna find somebody accountable for something" Lindsey Graham
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 12:41 PM   #628
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Trump and the GOP are attempting a coup but the courts aren't going along with it, so far. They're rattling sabers, but those sabers are of the plastic toy kind.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 12:42 PM   #629
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Trump and the GOP are attempting a coup but the courts aren't going along with it, so far. They're rattling sabers, but those sabers are of the plastic toy kind.
Still doing a lot more damage to the trust in the electoral process then I'm comfortable "getting over" for a while.
Old 10th November 2020, 12:44 PM   #630
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I'd prefer it if links were provided. Sometimes I'd like to get more context. I know, it's twitter, so a lot of times there isn't any more context. But sometimes there is.

"Context"? For a Trump twit in a Trump account?

You know what you ought to do? You ought to go and submerge yourself in the sewage of those accounts for a few days. After you do, come back and tell us about how much "context" you found.

I expect you'll find yourself filled with gratitude that CS is willing to take a bullet for us all, and try to pick out the pieces that are relevant to our discussions.

Kind of like looking for the pieces of corn in a river full of turds.

Old 10th November 2020, 12:45 PM   #631
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Still doing a lot more damage to the trust in the electoral process then I'm comfortable "getting over" for a while.
Too right. They are damaging US democracy on a quest that should it succeed, would destroy US democracy. It's something that the Biden administration should pursue charges for.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 12:46 PM   #632
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Oh I'm sorry I forgot things stopped being spamming and hijack because some people are too lazy to open Twitter in another tab. How careless of me.

Laziness has nothing to do with it. It's more about having the stomach to spend much time there.

Old 10th November 2020, 12:47 PM   #633
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Too right. They are damaging US democracy on a quest that should it succeed, would destroy US democracy. It's something that the Biden administration should pursue charges for.
That's why I'm eating zero crow if the GOP or SCOTUS does smack Trump down hard at some final step and the Trumpers start doing some big "See a check & balance stopped him you were worried about nothing" dance.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 10th November 2020 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10th November 2020, 12:48 PM   #634
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I'm willing to bet the person responsible is never held accountable.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 12:52 PM   #635
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder what Putin has on these guys.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 12:53 PM   #636
Venom
Illuminator

That's why I'm eating zero crow if the GOP or SCOTUS does smack Trump down hard at the some final step and the Trumpers start doing some big "See a check & balance stopped him you were worried about notice" dance.
After spending lots of time on social media that's the most sophisticated defense of Trump's behavior I've heard so far. Trump's not as bad as you think he is because Congress and the courts or his advisors will stop his excesses.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 12:54 PM   #637
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Lindsey Graham couldn't find his own ass, he sure as heck can't find accountability persons.
Old 10th November 2020, 12:57 PM   #638
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
LOL do you mean "malicious compliance"?
Funny article from The Independent.

I saw Donald Trumpís presidency come crashing down at Four Seasons Total Landscaping
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 01:03 PM   #639
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Delete

Last edited by phiwum; 10th November 2020 at 01:05 PM.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 01:03 PM   #640
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I wonder what Putin has on these guys.
I think it's common knowledge what Trump has on Lindsey Graham.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics