IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , joe biden

Closed Thread
Old 10th November 2020, 07:04 PM   #721
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I think the flaw in that reasoning is the large numbers of Americans that simply don’t believe those numbers are legitimate.

Just today I saw a petition calling for a recount or a new election outright.

And a pickup with “2020 Fraud Election” painted on the rear window.

And numerous Facebook posts calling the election fraudulent.

For those folks, no number, no matter how large, will be seen as legitimate.
That's the point in the messaging. You have to change the narrative. There are some who will buy what Trump is peddling. The point is to get the overwhelming majority to conclude it is a fait accompli. And the losers are just yelling at the Ref. You can't let the nutjobs own the message with a lie.
Old 10th November 2020, 07:04 PM   #722
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

I think the flaw in that reasoning is the large numbers of Americans that simply don’t believe those numbers are legitimate.
"Large numbers of Americans" don't believe evolution.

"Large numbers of Americans" are morons.
Old 10th November 2020, 07:05 PM   #723
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
And Bingo was his name-o.
Old 10th November 2020, 07:16 PM   #724
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Just today I saw a petition calling for a recount or a new election outright.

And a pickup with “2020 Fraud Election” painted on the rear window.

And numerous Facebook posts calling the election fraudulent.

For those folks, no number, no matter how large, will be seen as legitimate.

They don't want to believe them.
These are the same people who think the coronavirus is a hoax, doctors are reporting any hospital death as corona related so they can make money, masks don't save lives, Trump doesn't lie, Biden is a pedophile, there's a child sex ring in the basement of Comet Ping Pong Pizza run by HRC, and a myriad of other idiocies. The facts don't matter.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 07:18 PM   #725
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post

Truer words were never spoken.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 07:19 PM   #726
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
And that's all assuming that Trump actually genuinely wants to be a dictator. Which I think is a ridiculous assumption, based predominantly on tribal thinking and the eternal need to be outraged about everything.
I, for one, appreciate the measured tone you adopt in your posts.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 07:21 PM   #727
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
A source? Sure. here it is:-
I can recall him coming out with that on many occasions and I actively try to avoid seeing his face or hearing his voice.

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
It might be their goal.
I read that book once.

Did not turn out well.
Old 10th November 2020, 07:23 PM   #728
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post

They don't want to believe them.
These are the same people who think the coronavirus is a hoax, doctors are reporting any hospital death as corona related so they can make money, masks don't save lives, Trump doesn't lie, Biden is a pedophile, there's a child sex ring in the basement of Comet Ping Pong Pizza run by HRC, and a myriad of other idiocies. The facts don't matter.
They do matter. They just don't matter to some. We must drown out their nonsense. Not to convince the crazies. Think of them as TJMK. There was a time that the people thought Amanda Knox was guilty.

You battle lies with the truth. There is no other way.
Old 10th November 2020, 07:31 PM   #729
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post

Both are undoubtedly true.

But I keep coming back to the large number of “non-morons” who get caught up in this sort of thing. Who are engineers and educators and other professionals apparently able to apply critical thinking skills in other areas.

Were it only so simple as “We’re smart and they’re morons”. It’s not, which leaves me quite befuddled.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 07:32 PM   #730
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
This right here. It's a little disingenuous to say "oh, Trump's lost, he'll be gone in a couple of months, so what difference does it make?" It's the way he's losing, and the way the GOP largely is enabling that, that makes a difference. Trump isn't, AFAICT, doing anything he doesn't have a strict right to do. But Republicans over the last few years have made an absolute fetish of doing things they have a technical right to do without any consideration for whether those things are the right thing to do. Blocking Obama's SC pick in '16, ramming through their own this year (even when they had to directly contradict their stance from four years earlier to do so), and now demanding recounts that won't realistically make any difference and "investigations" that are really nothing more than specious and unfounded placeholders for riling their base and (probably) making money off the rubes...all these things make a compete hash of our democracy. How is any citizen ever going to be able to have confidence in the integrity of the process- which the GOP claims is their primary reason for wanting the recounts/investigations- when any future loser of an election has only to cite this one as precedent for throwing shade on that process for his case?
All of that is certainly true but still I'm really more pissed at Republicans for what they have *not* done over the past four years. GOP politicians have been absolutely spineless while Trump broke laws day after day. Then came the real chance to show their support for the USA in the form of the impeachment vote. I have no need to rehearse how that turned out.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 07:37 PM   #731
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
They do matter. They just don't matter to some. We must drown out their nonsense. Not to convince the crazies. Think of them as TJMK. There was a time that the people thought Amanda Knox was guilty.

You battle lies with the truth. There is no other way.
I meant the facts don't matter to the crazies with the pickups with “2020 Fraud Election” painted on the rear windows and Facebook posts calling the election fraudulent. Just as the crazies over on TJMK have never been, and never will be, convinced by the facts, the crazies who think Biden won because of voter fraud will never be convinced otherwise. Some are just too far gone into Crazy Land
Old 10th November 2020, 07:39 PM   #732
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

But I keep coming back to the large number of “non-morons” who get caught up in this sort of thing. Who are engineers and educators and other professionals apparently able to apply critical thinking skills in other areas.

Were it only so simple as “We’re smart and they’re morons”. It’s not, which leaves me quite befuddled.
You mean like every religious person ever including Sir Isaac Newton and Francis Collins?

Hell even nutjob James Woods reportedly has an IQ of 140.

Special pleading and cognitive dissonance isn't just a trait of morons.
Old 10th November 2020, 07:40 PM   #733
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Even engineers and educators and other professionals apparently able to apply critical thinking skills in other areas can allow their critical thinking skills to be overpowered by their emotional and psychological needs.
Old 10th November 2020, 07:41 PM   #734
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I meant the facts don't matter to the crazies with the pickups with “2020 Fraud Election” painted on the rear windows and Facebook posts calling the election fraudulent. Just as the crazies over on TJMK have never been, and never will be, convinced by the facts, the crazies who think Biden won because of voter fraud will never be convinced otherwise. Some are just too far gone into Crazy Land
Agreed. I was more adding to your post than disagreeing.
Old 10th November 2020, 07:43 PM   #735
dirtywick
Illuminator

We live in a world where there's vast networks of media that exist to not just tell you what you want to believe is true, but to convince you that it is.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 07:43 PM   #736
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Dan Patrick the Lieutenant Governor of Texas says he will pay up to $1 million reward to people that come forward and report voter fraud.

https://www.danpatrick.org/patrick-o...wers-tipsters/
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 07:45 PM   #737
dirtywick
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Dan Patrick the Lieutenant Governor of Texas says he will pay up to $1 million reward to people that come forward and report voter fraud.

Is that tax payer money? It's getting ridiculous if they are funding this BS with taxpayer money
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 07:50 PM   #738
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

You mean like every religious person ever including Sir Isaac Newton and Francis Collins?

Special pleading and cognitive dissonance isn't just a trait of morons.
Unless he's taken an accepted, standardized test, I disregard these 'reportedly' stories. Too many times I think these are just rumors started by an agent or reporter... or even the person him/herself. Hell, my late FIL tried to tell me he had an IQ of 160. He was more than a bit of a blowhard who tried to impress people with his money, etc. He was intelligent, but I found that hard to believe. When I pressed him on it, he admitted it was on online test.
Old 10th November 2020, 07:53 PM   #739
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Desperation, the Republican Party is on line two. Shall I ask them to hold?
Old 10th November 2020, 07:54 PM   #740
SezMe
post-pre-born

This could be a whole 'nother thread.
Yes, it could. But since you raised it here, I'll respond here. If the mods want to dish it off to a different thread, fine by me.

That's the thing that has bothered me most over the past four years - the sheer volume of unabashed mind-reading going on among self-styled skeptics. People assume they know the motivation and the state of Trump's mind, and then somehow become incapable of acknowledging that they're making assumptions and speculations, as well as becoming unable to consider any other possible motivation at all.
I disagree and I'll use the most obvious (to me) example to illustrate my view. Trump has incessantly called the press the "enemy of the people" (without the CAPS ) and labeled numerous reports as "fake news". This is exactly what someone with malicious intents would say in order to minimize the impact of their malicious actions.

Assume Trump does not have malicious intents. But based on his statements we cannot distinguish his non-malicious intents from those of someone who does, in fact, have malicious intents. Thus, I would argue that it is not "mind-reading" or "speculations" to attribute to him malicious intents, especially in light of the overall zeitgeist created by Trump, namely, that so many of his actions have, indeed, harmed the USA.

It's an invocation of the old saw about judging a man not by his words but by his deeds. If we do that, I assert that is not speculation or mind-reading to take as the default assumption that he does not behave with good intentions.
Old 10th November 2020, 07:57 PM   #741
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Unless he's taken an accepted, standardized test, I disregard these 'reportedly' stories. Too many times I think these are just rumors started by an agent or reporter... or even the person him/herself. Hell, my late FIL tried to tell me he had an IQ of 160. He was more than a bit of a blowhard who tried to impress people with his money, etc. He was intelligent, but I found that hard to believe. When I pressed him on it, he admitted it was on online test.
More than a reasonable response.

That said, he did attend MIT. So it's unlikely he's a moron. OTOH, he dropped out.

Last edited by acbytesla; 10th November 2020 at 08:06 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 07:59 PM   #742
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

"We're gonna find somebody accountable for something" Lindsey Graham
I'd like to see Project Veritas high on that list.
The Erie, Pa backdating affidavit has been recanted.

(sure I've been ninja'd... skipping whole blocks of posts that popped up while I slept)

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 08:00 PM   #743
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
We live in a world where there's vast networks of media that exist to not just tell you what you want to believe is true, but to convince you that it is.
I don't buy that. They exist to make money.
Old 10th November 2020, 08:01 PM   #744
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

They rounded the numbers.

Cook Political
Biden: 76,968,878.
Trump: 72,031,686
Margin: 4,937,192

https://cookpolitical.com/2020-natio...r-vote-tracker
Almost 5 million...
Over 5 million now.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 08:02 PM   #745
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
I'd like to see Project Veritas high on that list.
The Erie, Pa backdating affidavit has been recanted.

(sure I've been ninja'd... skipping whole blocks of posts that popped up while I slept)
But apparently the guy says he didn't recant. Frankly, I have no interest in watching his video, so I'm unclear if he's saying he never recanted in the first place, or he's saying he's recanting he recanting.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 08:05 PM   #746
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
Over 5 million now.
Thanks

Biden: 77,186,431
Trump 72,138,839

Margin: 5,047,592

https://cookpolitical.com/2020-natio...r-vote-tracker
Old 10th November 2020, 08:06 PM   #747
eerok
Quixoticist

Smart people tend not to report their IQs. Crazy and sad people of course lie their butts off.
Old 10th November 2020, 08:08 PM   #748
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Smart people tend not to report their IQs. Crazy and sad people of course lie their butts off.
I get that. There's a list of celebrities who reportedly have high IQs. You have to question where they came up their numbers.
Old 10th November 2020, 08:12 PM   #749
eerok
Quixoticist

I get that. There's a list of celebrities who reportedly have high IQs. You have to question where they came up their numbers.
One could imagine an Ego Quotient.
Old 10th November 2020, 08:22 PM   #750
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
But apparently the guy says he didn't recant. Frankly, I have no interest in watching his video, so I'm unclear if he's saying he never recanted in the first place, or he's saying he's recanting he recanting.
Last I heard he refused to comment.

ETA: So now he posted a video saying he did not recant. If WAPO has any evidence showing otherwise, I don't know.

ETA: From the WAPO article:

Quote:
But on Monday, Hopkins, 32, told investigators from the U.S. Postal Service’s Office of Inspector General that the allegations were not true, and he signed an affidavit recanting his claims, according to officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe an ongoing investigation. Democrats on the House Oversight Committee tweeted late Tuesday that the “whistleblower completely RECANTED.”
If they have the signed affidavit, that should be easy enough to present.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 10th November 2020 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10th November 2020, 08:24 PM   #751
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

One could imagine an Ego Quotient.
I'm convinced that the numbers are made up by whomever writes it and not necessarily the celebrities. I mean really, if you're a celebrity are you going to deal with the hassle of trying to stop people from saying you're smart?

I think they look at where you went to school and in some cases actual published academic papers and just throw out a number that seems like it would go with that. IE: Brian May of Queen.
Old 10th November 2020, 08:29 PM   #752
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Last I heard he refused to comment.
Same here. We'll see where it goes.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 08:31 PM   #753
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Great, now I want Trump to concede and a cheeseburger. I don't have any hamburger meat in the house! Or buns. Or cheese. I really need to plan my grocery ordering better.
It's your own fault, TM. If you'd just read all the posts a day before they are posted, you'd be better prepared.
Old 10th November 2020, 08:37 PM   #754
eerok
Quixoticist

I'm convinced that the numbers are made up by whomever writes it and not necessarily the celebrities. I mean really, if you're a celebrity are you going to deal with the hassle of trying to stop people from saying you're smart?

I think they look at where you went to school and in some cases actual published academic papers and just throw out a number that seems like it would go with that. IE: Brian May of Queen.
This reminds me of the (was it a Financial Post?) article that speculated Trump's IQ based on where he went to school. They didn't factor in how much money was involved in buying his SAT scores, exams, and all the rest. Also I understand he didn't actually go to Wharton.

My conclusion is that those who care so much about arbitrary and speculative standards that are applied to decide who is smart or not aren't too terribly smart themselves.
Old 10th November 2020, 08:45 PM   #755
SezMe
post-pre-born

What's going on here?

White House tells federal agencies to proceed with plans for Trump’s February budget in latest sign...
“They’re pretending nothing happened,” one administration official involved in the federal budget process said.
washingtonpost.com
I have trouble with that. What else are they supposed to do? Of course, the WH probably didn't need to emphasize the point by going public.
Old 10th November 2020, 08:57 PM   #756
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
And, I suspect that Biden's team is putting nothing past the current "Administration," and is ready for the worst. If it comes to it, I think Trump would be physically removed from the White House by 1:00 pm or so on Jan. 20, if not before noon, via the Secret Service or other similar law enforcement. I don't think the military will support the coup, either.
I'm telling you, Trump will in at Mar-a-Loser on Jan 20.
Old 10th November 2020, 08:58 PM   #757
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

This reminds me of the (was it a Financial Post?) article that speculated Trump's IQ based on where he went to school. They didn't factor in how much money was involved in buying his SAT scores, exams, and all the rest. Also I understand he didn't actually go to Wharton.

My conclusion is that those who care so much about arbitrary and speculative standards that are applied to decide who is smart or not aren't too terribly smart themselves.
I don't care about IQ numbers. People who are actually smart don't need to tell people how smart they are.

Also, there really are different kinds of smart. I've always been great at remembering trivia. But that pales compared to so many scientific and creative endeavors. I use to sell high end data communications equipment to engineers. Most of them were smarter than me.

I think it is a mistake to view all these delusional souls that have bought into Trump's rhetoric as dumb. Sure, many are. It's more that they are conditioned to not fully challenge certain personal positions.
Old 10th November 2020, 09:04 PM   #758
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
That's actually a pretty good point. The idea (or hope) that there probably won't be any real future effects from the well-poisoning of the electoral process the GOP is indulging in for political gain right now is kind of belied by the possibility (at least) that this **** show right now is an effect of the well-poisoning they've been indulging in for political gain for at least eight years. That future is now...
Exactly.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:07 PM   #759
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Not sure if this was posted already, but here's some notes on Twitter's likely action on Jan 20.
Trump's world leader Twitter exemption ends Jan 20.

The official POTUS and related accounts will automatically transfer to President Biden and staff. That's really gonna burn The FPDJT.

Quote:
President Donald Trump will lose Twitter privileges he enjoys as a world leader when President-Elect Joe Biden takes office on January 20th, 2021. Twitter confirmed that Trump’s @realDonaldTrump account will be subject to the same rules as any other user — including bans on inciting violence and posting false information about voting or the coronavirus pandemic.

Twitter applies special policies to world leaders and some other officials, leaving rule-breaking content online if there’s “a clear public interest value to keeping the tweet on the service.”

Last edited by alfaniner; 10th November 2020 at 09:08 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:21 PM   #760
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
I'm telling you, Trump will in at Mar-a-Loser on Jan 20.
Tweeting.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics