IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , election conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump supporters

Closed Thread
Old 20th November 2020, 11:51 AM   #561
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
It appears Trump knows he's out so he's burning it all down. He just had Mnuchin take actions to cause the next Great Depression.
Don't you think that's a little hyperbolic?
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th November 2020, 11:55 AM   #562
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Screwing the economy on the way out in a fit of petty vindictiveness is still bad enough, even if it's not actually "the new 20s".
Old 20th November 2020, 11:59 AM   #563
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
No. He actually had Mnuchin tell the Feds no more economic help for America.

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/mnuc...ry?id=74315800
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th November 2020, 12:07 PM   #564
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Biden should proclaim that his administration's fiscal policy will be based on MMT, and that Republicans are welcome to balance the budget when they are back in charges, since they are so great with money.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th November 2020, 12:31 PM   #565
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
No he’s not - he is outright saying he won, there is no “asking”.
I don't care if he says he is Lord and Master of All Creation. He asked the courts to see things his way. He asked his supporters to ask officials to change the vote.

Asking is not a coup. Its just weak posturing and whining.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th November 2020, 12:34 PM   #566
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I don't care if he says he is Lord and Master of All Creation. He asked the courts to see things his way. He asked his supporters to ask officials to change the vote.

Asking is not a coup. Its just weak posturing and whining.
Asking people to do illegal things, like throw out votes, is often considered a criminal conspiracy.

"But your honor, the hit man refused my offer to murder my business partner!"
Old 20th November 2020, 12:42 PM   #567
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
So what, it's not a coup until hindsight after it is successful?
No, it's not a coup attempt if it is nothing but foot stamping and wishful thinking.

Quote:
Major "Pay no attention to these armies massing at the border" vibes here.
Oh god you are so close...

There are no armies. There is a weak tea crybaby and a handful of cronies, doing nothing but asking for a coup, pretty please?

Quote:
A coup is a complicated, multi element task. Trump just can't mash the coup button and be done, he has to maneuver politically into the right position. It's not panic mongering to point out, in no uncertain terms, that Trump is taking actions that have no other real purpose but to effectuate a coup. It's an attempted coup. It may yet still fail, and it may fail without any violent criminal activity, but a coup attempt nonetheless.

in your example, if it were clear that you were exploring options to try to buy the domain and collaborating with the mods and admins to effectuate a takeover, I would call that a coup attempt, even if you hadn't yet pulled the trigger or if people caught wise and outmaneuvered you. Trump is taking clear action to move closer to this goal, it's not just empty pronunciations.
Ok, sticking with my oversimplified example: I 'explore' buying the domain. Icerat laughs and says no. I PM the Admins. They don't even respond, except maybe to joke with each other about the weirdo and is it time to ban him.

A coup attempt in your eyes. A sad joke in mine.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain

Last edited by Thermal; 20th November 2020 at 12:44 PM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th November 2020, 12:43 PM   #568
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yeah we truly are at...

"Sent to prison for a crime I didn't even commit. I mean really 'Attempted' murder what kind of crime is that? Do they give Nobel Prizes for 'Attempted' Chemistry!" - Sideshow Bob

... level here.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th November 2020, 12:45 PM   #569
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, I know, a coup need not have blood in the streets. But it would need something besides tweets and rejected filings and people laughing at weak attempts to coerce. Whining is not a coup. Stamping your feet is not a coup.
Sign of the times. There was no Twitter in Napoleon's, Hitler's or Stalin's days. However, had there been, one can imagine them tweeting stuff like 'ALLONS ENFANTS DE LA PATRIÉ!' or 'BLOOD SOIL AND HONOUR!' or 'THE WORKERS UNITED WILL NEVER BE DEFEATED!'

Whereas it often took days for a message or news to arrive from another country, now we get it instantly.

Trump tweeting, 'I WON THE ELECTION' is outrageous and disgraceful, knowing it to be untrue and even seditious.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th November 2020, 12:46 PM   #570
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
From https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2020/11/19/shirkey-chatfield-set-visit-white-house-amid-election-fight/3777657001/

Quote:
The top two leaders in the Republican-controlled Michigan Legislature are expected to visit the White House Friday, according to a source with knowledge of the plans.

The visits by Senate Majority Leader Mike Shirkey, R-Clarklake, and House Speaker Lee Chatfield, R-Levering, will come as a legal fight plays out in the battleground state with President Donald Trump attempting to challenge the results of the Nov. 3 election.
Yeah, that's great optics.

And now they are apparently mulling over whether they should meet with GOP representatives from Pennsylvania:
Quote:
At the White House, discussions were underway about extending an invite to Pennsylvania's Republican legislative leadership as well.
This is normal. In any case, there's no indication that there's any intent to do anything in such a hypothetical meeting beyond just asking.
Old 20th November 2020, 12:46 PM   #571
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Is that a coup attempt? I hear they're all the rage.

Old 20th November 2020, 12:50 PM   #572
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Sign of the times. There was no Twitter in Napoleon's, Hitler's or Stalin's days. However, had there been, one can imagine them tweeting stuff like 'ALLONS ENFANTS DE LA PATRIÉ!' or 'BLOOD SOIL AND HONOUR!' or 'THE WORKERS UNITED WILL NEVER BE DEFEATED!'

Whereas it often took days for a message or news to arrive from another country, now we get it instantly.

Trump tweeting, 'I WON THE ELECTION' is outrageous and disgraceful, knowing it to be untrue and even seditious.
I live in the USA. It is a nation of posers and people going for extended rides on the Imagination Train. The sky is usually falling.

I expect this **** on Twitter. On a skeptical forum, maybe a little disappointing.

Old 20th November 2020, 12:50 PM   #573
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

So what, it's not a coup until hindsight after it is successful?

Major "Pay no attention to these armies massing at the border" vibes here.

A coup is a complicated, multi element task. Trump just can't mash the coup button and be done, he has to maneuver politically into the right position. It's not panic mongering to point out, in no uncertain terms, that Trump is taking actions that have no other real purpose but to effectuate a coup. It's an attempted coup. It may yet still fail, and it may fail without any violent criminal activity, but a coup attempt nonetheless.

in your example, if it were clear that you were exploring options to try to buy the domain and collaborating with the mods and admins to effectuate a takeover, I would call that a coup attempt, even if you hadn't yet pulled the trigger or if people caught wise and outmaneuvered you. Trump is taking clear action to move closer to this goal, it's not just empty pronunciations.
That's not a coup, that is a buyout and a commonplace business transaction.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th November 2020, 12:56 PM   #574
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Meh. I'm just going to continue pointing out the selective interpretations, the blatant hypocrisy, and the willingness to just pretend that one side is all good and the other side is all bad.
1. That's not what you are doing. You're screeching that both sides are equally bad and that neither side can get a slap on the wrist without the other side getting an equal slap on the wrist.

You'll claim that's not what you are doing, but that's what you are doing.

And we will continue to point and laugh.

I get it, that the whole "Oh I'm just keeping one from getting too full of itself" is the whole persona that people like you adopt, but even that, which is stupid anyway, isn't what you are doing.

2. If that's what you are doing why the pissy routine and the denial that that is just what you are doing? Why were just arguing that Whataboutism isn't exactly what you are always doing?

You denied it, but then when called on it you admitted with a huff and an air of haughty derision. Not very honest of you.

3. Why? Just... why? Why (I expect none but would really like an answer here from somebody, anybody) do so many people look at a discussion that has a side that is arguing from a clear and obvious place of factual, logical superiority and feel this beckoning siren's call to run into it for said discussion for sole purpose of making sure that side doesn't "get too full of itself?"

Why? ******* why? What do you and others think this is such a vital service in discussion?

Again I have ask... you do understand that being right isn't an unfair advantage that you have handicap the discussion for?

Why is "Oh Lordie the people who aren't reality denying sociopaths might think too much of themselves, can't have that. I better swoop in and take them down a peg so they don't" such a goddamn core of your personal philosophy?

Why is taking the correct side down a peg so goddamn bloody important to you?

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 20th November 2020 at 01:00 PM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th November 2020, 12:57 PM   #575
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Certification for the state of Georgia should be happening in a couple of hours. Hopefully, that'll be the first domino to take down this clown show.
Old 20th November 2020, 12:58 PM   #576
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Asking people to do illegal things, like throw out votes, is often considered a criminal conspiracy.

"But your honor, the hit man refused my offer to murder my business partner!"
Agreed. And? Are you under some misconception that I am defending him? I'm calling him a a sad clown with dreams he can't make come true. LARP couping, if you like.

Old 20th November 2020, 12:59 PM   #577
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

No, it's not a coup attempt if it is nothing but foot stamping and wishful thinking.

Oh god you are so close...

There are no armies. There is a weak tea crybaby and a handful of cronies, doing nothing but asking for a coup, pretty please?

Ok, sticking with my oversimplified example: I 'explore' buying the domain. Icerat laughs and says no. I PM the Admins. They don't even respond, except maybe to joke with each other about the weirdo and is it time to ban him.

A coup attempt in your eyes. A sad joke in mine.
I think you and I disagree about how much traction Trump is getting with this. If I had to bet, I would probably say that Trump won't be successful in swaying enough of the right people over to his plot, but that's not to say he hasn't already swayed some.

It seems to me you are seriously downplaying how much success Trump has had in persuading powerful elements of our political system to at least take a "wait and see" approach, if not outright endorsement of his claims of fraud.
Old 20th November 2020, 01:02 PM   #578
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Agreed. And? Are you under some misconception that I am defending him? I'm calling him a a sad clown with dreams he can't make come true. LARP couping, if you like.
Distracting from the core argument about what he is doing wrong with semantics is defending him.

If Trump's drowning someone in a vat of sparkling wine and you're more worried about the fact someone called it champagne, then yes you are, absolutely, 100%, across the board defending Trump and his drowning of the person.

"LOL I'm not defending him, just making sure discussions about what he's doing wrong never stay on track" isn't a thing.
Old 20th November 2020, 01:05 PM   #579
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

In the absence of an actual Monarch, plenty Americans have the instinct to assume that if POTUS asks, it must be legal, and refusing would be illegal.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th November 2020, 01:08 PM   #580
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It's more of the mob lawyer thing, the whole...

"Why my client didn't actually shakedown the shop owner for protection money, he just walked into the shop with his two associates, mentioned how nice of a place it was and how much of a shame it would be if anything were to happen to it. Surely there is no law against that?"

... routine.

That's all the whole "Oh it's not technically a coup because he's just asking" routine really is, just that.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 20th November 2020 at 01:16 PM.
Old 20th November 2020, 01:11 PM   #581
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I think you and I disagree about how much traction Trump is getting with this. If I had to bet, I would probably say that Trump won't be successful in swaying enough of the right people over to his plot, but that's not to say he hasn't already swayed some.

It seems to me you are seriously downplaying how much success Trump has had in persuading powerful elements of our political system to at least take a "wait and see" approach, if not outright endorsement of his claims of fraud.
I hear that, but my impression is that power players and supporters will ride the coattails of this train wreck and get whatever they can out of it while an R is next to the President's name, and quickly bail. They have no real loyalty to him and will drop him like a bad habit at the first whiff of trouble. You think they are rabid and loyal, and I think they are sniveling and weak

Old 20th November 2020, 01:11 PM   #582
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
If more of the mob lawyer thing, the whole...

"Why my client didn't actually shakedown the shop owner for protection money, he just walked into the shop with his two associates, mentioned how nice of a place it was and how much of a shame it would be if anything were to happen to it. Surely there is no law against that?"

... routine.

That's the whole "Oh it's not technically a coup because he's just asking" routine really is, just that.
Indeed.

I think the coup deniers are really underestimating how much of our system is reliant on people doing what they are supposed to do. The end of our system is as simple as people just choosing not to follow these expectations.
Old 20th November 2020, 01:13 PM   #583
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

I hear that, but my impression is that power players and supporters will ride the coattails of this train wreck and get whatever they can out of it while an R is next to the President's name, and quickly bail. They have no real loyalty to him and will drop him like a bad habit at the first whiff of trouble. You think they are rabid and loyal, and I think they are sniveling and weak
I don't think they are loyal, but I think they understand that a perception of disloyalty means the end of any chance of ever having support from the vital Republican base. In many of these districts, being seen as insufficiently loyal to Trump means the end of a political career.

I'm sure there are plenty that would privately breathe a sigh of relief if Trump exits the scene, but they won't do anything that can be publicly seen as crossing him. When push comes to shove, the cowards path may very well be to fall in line behind Trump.

I think we see a lot of them waiting for a dam-burst moment, some precipitous moment where suddenly it's safe to betray Trump and accept the Biden win. But nobody wants to risk being the initiator and there have been several notable failures like the sudden fall from grace of Fox News and Tucker Carlson. It's entirely possible that such a moment never comes, and these people just keep going along with it until it's too late to matter.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 20th November 2020 at 01:21 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th November 2020, 01:16 PM   #584
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Sooner or later it has to come down to that--no matter how airtight the paper process is, at some point it's a person with free will doing so. What separation of powers does is make sure those opportunities are spread out and not unified. But it's not foolproof.

Process could use some work though, to ensure that such decisions are clearly counter to law at an earlier stage in the process--so that a naked power grab must be revealed before anyone planning a coup has a chance to do a lot of maneuvering of power under pretense of still being within the law.

Last edited by gnome; 20th November 2020 at 01:27 PM.
gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th November 2020, 01:19 PM   #585
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Usually, I would agree.

But Trump#s history suggests that, for whatever reason, he has managed to keep a few loyal henchmen all his life.
And many people have been willing to make deals with him despite his past performance.

I think the GOP will have to let Trump freeload on them for a good while longer, because not doing so would be worse for them.
Old 20th November 2020, 01:27 PM   #586
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Some people are claiming Trump is not capable of attempting a coup. He's painted as a clown. Let's compare and contrast him with Vidkun Quisling, who gives his name to the notorious puppet Nazi-German government in Norway during WWII, allowing German occupation and hundreds, if not thousands, of resistance fighters to be executed. As a politician, Quisling, like Trump was considered completely useless. He attempted a coup d'état by radio broadcast. (=Could be a parallel with Trump's and Pompeo's tweets.) As expected, Quisling failed miserably. He had split from the Farmers Party to form a Fascist one but the people weren't having it. Enter the Nazi's, who awarded Quisling a dream job of being the Prime Minister of Nazi-Germany's sock parliament. Yes, he was considered a twit and a buffoon but look at the irreparable damage he did to Norway, lasting generations (cf the Nazi babies).

Quote:
In 1933, Quisling left the Farmers' Party and founded the fascist party Nasjonal Samling (National Union). Although he achieved some popularity after his attacks on the political left, his party failed to win any seats in the Storting and by 1940 it was still little more than peripheral. On 9 April 1940, with the German invasion of Norway in progress, he attempted to seize power in the world's first radio-broadcast coup d'état, but failed after the Germans refused to support his government. From 1942 to 1945 he served as Prime Minister of Norway, heading the Norwegian state administration jointly with the German civilian administrator Josef Terboven. His pro-Nazi puppet government, known as the Quisling regime, was dominated by ministers from Nasjonal Samling.
Wiki

We might think Trump is bungling along. However, his letting the elderly and weak die of Covid19 as 'nobodies' isn't his being a buffoon but a very serious deliberate political act of negligent manslaughter. His appealing to the Proud Boys was a serious call to treason and lawlessness. He is a psychopath and monster and not a joke.

Old 20th November 2020, 01:28 PM   #587
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

I'm sure there are plenty that would privately breathe a sigh of relief if Trump exits the scene, but they won't do anything that can be publicly seen as crossing him. When push comes to shove, the cowards path may very well be to fall in line behind Trump.

I think we see a lot of them waiting for a dam-burst moment, some precipitous moment where suddenly it's safe to betray Trump and accept the Biden win. But nobody wants to risk being the initiator and there have been several notable failures like the sudden fall from grace of Fox News and Tucker Carlson. It's entirely possible that such a moment never comes, and these people just keep going along with it until it's too late to matter.
Yes. Exactly. It's this moment where every GOP politician suddenly realizes that every other GOP politician is going to defect that I have been waiting for. Trump is in an incredibly weak position & I doubt that he can bluff his way through this but he is trying. I think that this moment of mass defection will come but it is disconcerting and worrisome that it is taking so long.

Maybe the Georgia vote certification will serve as a trigger for this.
Old 20th November 2020, 01:39 PM   #588
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

I guess the real question is "Does he have McConnell?"

That's really who we're all waiting for, isn't it? He's the person that can play the Senate games that change the outcome while still appearing legal.

I don't think he does, but I'd feel a lot better if ol' Mitch would just make a solid public statement that Trump is running out of viable challenges, and that he has no objection to logging the electoral votes.

I think he likes making everyone nervous and may have some incentive to keep the "stolen" narrative active. I just hope it's not to justify another obstructionist move.

Someone help me analyze this possibility--no matter how unthinkable it would be, isnt it his job to tally the electoral votes officially? What if he simply refuses to do so, so that on whatever key date there is not an EV majority for Biden? Not whether that would ruin him politically--just simply can it literally be done if he wants to be that bull-headed?

Last edited by gnome; 20th November 2020 at 01:42 PM.
gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th November 2020, 01:48 PM   #589
dirtywick
Illuminator

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
I guess the real question is "Does he have McConnell?"

That's really who we're all waiting for, isn't it? He's the person that can play the Senate games that change the outcome while still appearing legal.

I don't think he does, but I'd feel a lot better if ol' Mitch would just make a solid public statement that Trump is running out of viable challenges, and that he has no objection to logging the electoral votes.

I think he likes making everyone nervous and may have some incentive to keep the "stolen" narrative active. I just hope it's not to justify another obstructionist move.

Someone help me analyze this possibility--no matter how unthinkable it would be, isnt it his job to tally the electoral votes officially? What if he simply refuses to do so, so that on whatever key date there is not an EV majority for Biden? Not whether that would ruin him politically--just simply can it literally be done if he wants to be that bull-headed?
The only people pushing the stolen election narrative are idiots. Mitch knows how to game the system, but he's also very smart and has two runoff elections in GA to worry about. If those go badly for R he won't be doing much of anything. I'm sure he's waiting for the legal challenges to play out while keeping the R base in GA motivated, and legal challenges are all but done with.
dirtywick is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th November 2020, 02:33 PM   #590
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
In the absence of an actual Monarch, plenty Americans have the instinct to assume that if POTUS asks, it must be legal, and refusing would be illegal.
Where are you getting this from? What statistically valid and representative survey are you using to back up this assertion?

I suspect (note I'm not asserting it as true but openly admitting my speculation) that all you're doing is assuming whatever it is that allows you to defend your previously accepted belief that we're in the midst of a coup.
Old 20th November 2020, 02:35 PM   #591
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
Famous actor or something.... Separate from that, however, he has a good point, which I have often made, which is that people often overthink Trump (though usually not as badly as Scott Adams).

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...296355328.html
Quote:
The core of it is that he knows he’s in deep, multi-dimensional legal jeopardy & this defines his every action. We’re seeing 1) a tactical delay of the transition to buy time for coverup & evidence suppression 2) above all, a desperate endgame... which is to create enough chaos & anxiety about peaceful transfer of power, & fear of irreparable damage to the system, that he can cut a Nixon-style deal in exchange for finally conceding.
I can agree with this. Makes perfect sense of the evidence.

I have wondered if the change in the head of the Homeland Security Department wasn't just a move to review anything confidential Krebs wouldn't share with Trump, much of what Trump believes is there may or may not actually be there.

And riling up the crowd to make Biden fear the reaction if he takes legal action against Trump is clearly within Incompetrump's competencies.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 20th November 2020 at 03:53 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th November 2020, 02:35 PM   #592
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
The only people pushing the stolen election narrative are idiots. Mitch knows how to game the system, but he's also very smart and has two runoff elections in GA to worry about. If those go badly for R he won't be doing much of anything. I'm sure he's waiting for the legal challenges to play out while keeping the R base in GA motivated, and legal challenges are all but done with.
I completely agree this is his most likely play. I'm just asking if technically he can. I don't intend to panic about it.

Old 20th November 2020, 02:36 PM   #593
Emily's Cat

Indeed.

I think the coup deniers are really underestimating how much of our system is reliant on people doing what they are supposed to do. The end of our system is as simple as people just choosing not to follow these expectations.
And the coup-mongerers are really overestimating how fickle people are, and how much many people actually believe in and value integrity.

The "end of our system" requires a LOT of people to blatantly disregard everything they believe in and become literal traitors with no thought at all.
Old 20th November 2020, 02:45 PM   #594
Emily's Cat

Why are you so goddamn happy that Trump only mostly screwed up the country instead of totally screwed it up so you can dance all around us for being worried as if the worry wasn't justified?

Why do we make you more angry then him? Why does our "over dramaticness" trigger you but his evil get a "meh?" And don't you goddamn dare sit there and try to claim that isn't what's going on.
For me, it's because BOTH SIDES of this stupid thing we call politics in the US have been leaning on raw emotion for many years. They preach interpretations of facts, inferences of meaning, and assumptions of motive. The news, BOTH SIDES OF IT, feeds you a set of mostly innocuous objective facts, but wraps them up in a narrative that leads you to an apophenic conclusion of OMG HE'S THE MOST EVILEST THING EVER in which your ability to critically think and to weigh evidence and recognize speculation has simply evaporated.

I'm an atheist, in all possible senses of the term. But for a great many people here on ISF, politics has become their religion. They are dogmatic about it. They proselytize their beliefs, and they decry a lack of agreement with their religion as heresy. And anyone who dares to point out the down sides and the risks of their crusade are demonized as infidels who support the great evil which only their true faith can combat.

ETA* This is the royal "you" at play here, although I am not excusing you from my tirade.
Old 20th November 2020, 02:45 PM   #595
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

99.99% of them will.

But these are already people who shot up a pizza parlor to save the child sex slaves in the basement it didn't even have and Pizzagate was nowhere near as mainstream as the election fraud / deep state conspiracy has gotten.

Spare me the "They are nothing to worry about" routine.
I'm pretty sure Trump is a loser is not synonymous with "nothing to worry about". In fact, I distinctly remember saying the things we should be worried about are people blowing up federal buildings.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 20th November 2020 at 02:46 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th November 2020, 02:46 PM   #596
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I read this one. I thought the author made interesting points. I don't know that I buy it, but it is an interesting argument that democracy tempered by reasonable folks nudging the nomination process along is stabler and better.

I think it's fair to say it's somewhat anti-democratic. It is not much like having state legislatures overturn the voters' will. I don't think this comparison is apt at all.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th November 2020, 02:48 PM   #597
Emily's Cat

It's been covered already what' Trump's likely intended path here is.
Let's translate this into objective skeptical terms.

"Some of us already used our imaginations to speculate about what we assume that Trump really means to do"

It gets dressed up with "it's been covered" as if there's actually some solid evidence involved. There's not, it's speculative. It gets dressed up with "likely" as if there's an objective means of gauging the probability. There's not, there's only fear of a possible path.
Old 20th November 2020, 02:54 PM   #598
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I read this one. I thought the author made interesting points. I don't know that I buy it, but it is an interesting argument that democracy tempered by reasonable folks nudging the nomination process along is stabler and better.

I think it's fair to say it's somewhat anti-democratic. It is not much like having state legislatures overturn the voters' will. I don't think this comparison is apt at all.
It was intended as a counter to The Great Z's framing that Republicans are aiming to reduce democracy so they can get their way. All of the linked articles (and the review) are from left-leaning sources and authors, all of them bemoaning the fact that the problem with the US (which led to Trump) is that we have too much democracy, and that we'd really be better off if we took away some of that democracy so that people who know better can make sure we don't get into trouble.

Some of them do have good points with respect to risks in a democratic system. But my point was that it's not the Republicans pushing the "too much democracy" narrative.
Old 20th November 2020, 02:55 PM   #599
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Again I'm done with being talked down to because people are more concerned with how "dramatic" I'm being verse how evil they are being.

If you're looking at the world as a whole and go "Yeah know what the problem is? People saying coup instead 'undefined possible takeover of the government via illegal means that doesn't technically count as a coup because it didn't come from the Coup Region in Southern France" you're part of the problem.

First, I didn't notice you were being dramatic until these last few posts.

Second, it's not the word "coup" that is the issue. So unless someone else is making the bolded argument, it certainly isn't mine.

So I'll wait to see if you are addressing someone else here.

In the meantime, the issue is, said refusal to leave office is Trump's con. The news media fell for it yet again starting months ago with asking Trump if he would concede if he lost. Why did they even ask given it wasn't credible. It still isn't.
Old 20th November 2020, 02:59 PM   #600
Garrison
Philosopher

So id Trump asks officials in various states to just ignore the popular on his say so that there's been massive fraud and they say no some people here seem to think that means everything's fine and that's not a problem because it didn't work?
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics