ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th April 2019, 12:50 AM   #1
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Climate protestors threaten London mass transit disruption

After several days of blocking roads in central London, resulting in around 300 arrests, Extinction Rebellion are threating to disrupt the London Underground, including using the tactic of gluing themselves to Tube trains.

Quote:
London Evening Standard: Extinction Rebellion activists set to cause Tube chaos for millions of commuters

Extinction Rebellion climate protesters have confirmed plans to cause Tube chaos for millions of commuters on the London Underground.

The Extinction Rebellion group, which has been blocking roads and bridges in the capital this week, confirmed it would “non-violently disrupt Tube services to highlight the emergency of ecological collapse” on Wednesday morning.

Transport for London warned bus users to expect disruption in central London during the morning rush.

It tweeted: "Central London / Extinction Rebellion - Bus routes which usually serve central London are, again, diverted / curtailed due to on-going protest which are blocking several roads."

In a statement the Extinction Rebellion said: "Participants will peacefully break the law in order to stop the Tube and then will wait to be arrested.

"We sincerely apologise to all those who may suffer as a consequence of this disruption. In any other circumstances we would never dream of disrupting the Tube but this is an emergency.

"We request that workers do not intervene in the protests to ensure that they go as smoothly and safely as possible for all involved."
Whatever one thinks about the protestors' declared aims, it seems that disrupting a mass transit system that actually reduces the numbers of vehicles on the road is dumb with a capital "D." I would also predict that after what appears to have been days of fairly violence-free protest, that will certainly change if they start screwing with the commutes of hundreds of thousands of people, and it won't be the police or Tube staff attacking protestors.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 17th April 2019 at 12:53 AM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 12:59 AM   #2
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
After several days of blocking roads in central London, resulting in around 300 arrests, Extinction Rebellion are threating to disrupt the London Underground, including using the tactic of gluing themselves to Tube trains.

Whatever one thinks about the protestors' declared aims, it seems that disrupting a mass transit system that actually reduces the numbers of vehicles on the road is dumb with a capital "D." I would also predict that after what appears to have been days of fairly violence-free protest, that will certainly change if they start screwing with the commutes of hundreds of thousands of people, and it won't be the police or Tube staff attacking protestors.
I also don't think this kind of protest helps their cause very much. People are more likely to hate them for it.
Old 17th April 2019, 01:13 AM   #3
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Wont wake Gen X or Boomers from their slumber march to the end of their lifetimes. Its the aim though.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 17th April 2019 at 01:30 AM.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 01:21 AM   #4
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Yes. A stupid protest.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 05:42 AM   #5
autumn1971
Master Poster

Gluing themselves to trains?

Run ‘em.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 05:49 AM   #6
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Gluing themselves to trains?

Run em.
A problem easily solved, given that some of the tunnels are a very tight fit.

As it is, it seems that the best they have come up with is a couple of protestors climbing on the roof of a Docklands Light Railway train at the elevated Canary Wharf station. Hope they brought warm clothing, as it's very windy there.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 06:12 AM   #7
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Wont wake Gen X or Boomers from their slumber march to the end of their lifetimes. Its the aim though.
The aim is off. Feet will be casualties.
Old 17th April 2019, 01:50 PM   #8
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Just getting silly now...

BBC News: Extinction Rebellion London activists chained to Jeremy Corbyn's home

"Climate change activists glued themselves to a train and others chained themselves to Jeremy Corbyn's home in a third day of protests.

Extinction Rebellion protesters have been blocking traffic at Marble Arch, Waterloo Bridge, Parliament Square and Oxford Circus since Monday.

Earlier, three activists were glued to a Docklands Light Railway (DLR) train at Canary Wharf, causing minor delays.

Four people also glued themselves together at the Labour leader's home."
Old 17th April 2019, 02:39 PM   #9
angrysoba
Philosophile

Huh? How have these people come up with the idea of disrupting public transport? Would they prefer that people not use the tube and drive instead? I wonder how some of them got to their protests.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 02:49 PM   #10
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I also don't think this kind of protest helps their cause very much. People are more likely to hate them for it.
Yeah.nothing makes a person want to listen to your point of view then causing him a lot of inconvience and problems. Great way to reach people.
One of the problems with the Left is they think it is eternally 1968, and the kind of tactics they used then will work now.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 02:53 PM   #11
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Huh? How have these people come up with the idea of disrupting public transport? Would they prefer that people not use the tube and drive instead? I wonder how some of them got to their protests.
I repeat it sort of an inability to move beyond the 1960's.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 02:55 PM   #12
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Yeah, Pissing people off is a wonderful way to win them over to your side.
Sorry, but this whole excusing bad and stupid behavior because "it's trying to wake people up" is pretty silly.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 17th April 2019, 03:00 PM   #13
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The goal is to disrupt people's lives so that they'll pay attention to your concerns. A lot of people use public transport in London, so disrupting that gets your concerns a lot of attention. This is not necessarily a bad or contradictory strategy, even if the goal is ultimately "more public transport".

I tend to question the value of the strategy of disrupting a lot of people so they pay attention to you, but historically that seems to be the go-to strategy for people looking for big changes, so I'm probably in the wrong on this.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 03:22 PM   #14
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The goal is to disrupt people's lives so that they'll pay attention to your concerns. A lot of people use public transport in London, so disrupting that gets your concerns a lot of attention. This is not necessarily a bad or contradictory strategy, even if the goal is ultimately "more public transport".

I tend to question the value of the strategy of disrupting a lot of people so they pay attention to you, but historically that seems to be the go-to strategy for people looking for big changes, so I'm probably in the wrong on this.
I get it, but if the response is, Tubes out; id better drive or take a taxi...we might need more roads... then it is a backfiring strategy. Not to mention the fact it bolsters the view that climate protestors are an annoying bunch of moonbats.

Its similar to those supermodel nude protests. Were gonna walk around naked until you stop buying fur! Fur sales go through the roof!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 03:01 AM   #15
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Especially given that a lot of those arrested are not even London residents....
Old 18th April 2019, 03:15 AM   #16
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I heard that the Met police stopped them disrupting the underground by switching off WiFi in the underground apparently preventing them organising themselves.

I have to say the cynic in me thought "No it meant they couldn't live broadcast,update their Instagram page or not know what their friends are thinking and doing for 5 minutes which meant they panicked. "
Old 20th April 2019, 08:26 AM   #17
pharphis
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I heard that the Met police stopped them disrupting the underground by switching off WiFi in the underground apparently preventing them organising themselves.

I have to say the cynic in me thought "No it meant they couldn't live broadcast,update their Instagram page or not know what their friends are thinking and doing for 5 minutes which meant they panicked. "
also what else are you supposed to do while glued to something?
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events