ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags fires , France incidents , notre dame , Paris incidents

Old 17th April 2019, 03:37 PM   #321
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
The dinosaurs were killed off by a teateor.
I thought it was maybe an aureola borealis.
Old 17th April 2019, 03:54 PM   #322
8enotto
Muse

Rebuilding a rural community church anywhere is a small quantity of funds. I have seen some here that are little more than a converted four car garage.

Those the ceremony and community are the treasure and the building a bit more than a place to do it.

This building is a national treasure that cannot be replaced by a big pole barn on the site. Rome may staff it but France owns it. Art and architectural elements one place in the world and not likely ti be copied accurately as the masters and methods are gone.

Well worth a restore just for being a part of history.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 04:42 PM   #323
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I can’t see Donald Trump sending money to refugees in the EU when he is branding himself an anti-immigrant US president. No, send money for a big old church instead. One that he might like to visit.
Actually I had all those billionaires coughing up millions in mind. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 17th April 2019 at 04:43 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 04:44 PM   #324
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
Rebuilding a rural community church anywhere is a small quantity of funds. I have seen some here that are little more than a converted four car garage.

Those the ceremony and community are the treasure and the building a bit more than a place to do it.

This building is a national treasure that cannot be replaced by a big pole barn on the site. Rome may staff it but France owns it. Art and architectural elements one place in the world and not likely ti be copied accurately as the masters and methods are gone.

Well worth a restore just for being a part of history.
This.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 05:17 PM   #325
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

You know it had to happen:

MULTIPLE PEOPLE CLAIM THEY CAN ‘SEE JESUS’ IN THE NOTRE DAME FLAMES
(not my caps)

There are two different sightings, one in the smoke and one in the flames. I can see 4 different possibilities so it's not hard to imagine anything.
Old 17th April 2019, 05:55 PM   #326
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Sorry to divert from how many bodies should dance on the head of a monument or whether the Catholic Church deserves its rep for protecting pedophiles (it does).

But I thought this might interest a few of the more technically minded.

Notre Dame fire: How drones and a robot called Colossus helped limit the damage.

Includes some good video of the robot.
Old 17th April 2019, 06:29 PM   #327
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

(not my caps)

There are two different sightings, one in the smoke and one in the flames. I can see 4 different possibilities so it's not hard to imagine anything.
Well of course they did. Some probably saw Satan, or Muhammad, or Vishnu or something.
Originally Posted by quadraginta;12667934
[URL="https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/notre-dame-fire-how-drones-and-a-robot-helped-to-prevent-worse-damage/"
Notre Dame fire: How drones and a robot called Colossus helped limit the damage.[/url]

Please let us disable your ad-blocker. No.
Old 17th April 2019, 06:33 PM   #328
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

(not my caps)

Are police searching for him for questioning? Sounds like it might be arson.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 06:37 PM   #329
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Well of course they did. Some probably saw Satan, or Muhammad, or Vishnu or something.

Please let us disable your ad-blocker. No.

I expect there are other sources if you don't like that one.

Probably not too hard to find.

The video clip really is worth a peek. It's right inside the cathedral while the fire's still burning.

ETA: Here's the same clip on YT. It's from Le Parisien.

Last edited by quadraginta; 17th April 2019 at 06:46 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 08:52 AM   #330
Steve
Illuminator

(not my caps)

Good ol' medieval Jesus. Pops up in the most unlikely places.

Jesus shows at a church fire. Satan shows at the WTC fires. They each obviously have their priorities sorted.
Old 18th April 2019, 10:18 AM   #331
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Sorry to divert from how many bodies should dance on the head of a monument or whether the Catholic Church deserves its rep for protecting pedophiles (it does).

But I thought this might interest a few of the more technically minded.

Notre Dame fire: How drones and a robot called Colossus helped limit the damage.

Damn, when I saw "Colossus" I though the X Men helped out....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 11:01 AM   #332
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

(not my caps)

But nobody knows what Jesus really looked like so it might not have been him.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 11:29 AM   #333
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Ever since he gained all that weight Jesus has pretended to be Buddha.

It's okay, though, he's planning to get in shape with Cross Fit.
Old 18th April 2019, 11:37 AM   #334
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Peekaboo! Jesus here, sorry about the fire.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 11:38 AM   #335
Steve
Illuminator

Sure they do. there were lots of paintings of him inside that very church. Each and every one showing a non-Jewish long-haired western European in long flowing robes just like everyone wore in Roman occupied Palestine. Anything that bears a vague resemblance to that is, by default, a Christian Jesus. Pareidolia = proof.
Old 18th April 2019, 12:44 PM   #336
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
By that token Kim Kardashian’s bum is worth more than Notre Dame.
That's a bit over the top - Kim Kardashian’s bum has yet to make presidents stop election campaigns, billionaires to pledge hundreds of millions, or entire national populations join in prayer, etc.

But you could say that celebrities are "worth" more than plain people - in the sense that I alluded to. Lady Diana comes to mind.
Old 18th April 2019, 12:58 PM   #337
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

He looks like his paintings, d'uh.
Old 18th April 2019, 01:17 PM   #338
Steve
Illuminator

He looks like his paintings, d'uh.
Hey! That's what I said. I just used a lot more words to make myself appear smart.

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Sure they do. there were lots of paintings of him inside that very church. Each and every one showing a non-Jewish long-haired western European in long flowing robes just like everyone wore in Roman occupied Palestine. Anything that bears a vague resemblance to that is, by default, a Christian Jesus. Pareidolia = proof.
Old 18th April 2019, 01:42 PM   #339
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Daily Mail reports that investigators initially are saying that it was started by an electrical short circuit.
Old 18th April 2019, 03:28 PM   #340
Bob001
Philosopher

Apart from its age and unique history in the center of Paris, how does Notre Dame compare to other cathedrals across Europe and the UK in size, structure, etc.? I don't want to say "If you've seen one Gothic cathedral, you've seen 'em all," but they do share many design elements.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 03:38 PM   #341
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Apart from its age and unique history in the center of Paris, how does Notre Dame compare to other cathedrals across Europe and the UK in size, structure, etc.? I don't want to say "If you've seen one Gothic cathedral, you've seen 'em all," but they do share many design elements.
Chartres is better. Objectively. Great flying buttresses!

Salisbury has a higher spire, I believe. It is also very attractive for Russian tourists.

Aside from that, they are all alike.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 03:42 PM   #342
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
That's a bit over the top - Kim Kardashian’s bum has yet to make presidents stop election campaigns, billionaires to pledge hundreds of millions, or entire national populations join in prayer, etc.

But you could say that celebrities are "worth" more than plain people - in the sense that I alluded to. Lady Diana comes to mind.
If you are accusing me of exaggeration, that is the grossest slander in all of humanity!

Anyway, my point is obviously that what I believe should be of value is not necessarily going to be borne out by how many headlines it makes - which is often driven by novelty or marketing or ability to provide constant coverage (kid down a well; OJ on the freeway), or what rich people spend their money on (Banksy’s shredded picture; a Basquiat original etc...)

Saudi Arabia spends more money on arms than the people they bomb, so does that mean the weapons are worth more than the people of Yemen?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 03:50 PM   #343
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Hey! That's what I said. I just used a lot more words to make myself appear smart.
I answer as I go. I didn't see your very clever post until after I posted mine.
Old 18th April 2019, 03:54 PM   #344
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Ten Cathedrals to see before you die... because of their architecture.
Quote:
Notre Dame de Paris is widely considered one of the finest examples of French Gothic architecture in France and in Europe, and the naturalism of its sculptures and stained glass are in contrast with earlier Romanesque architecture. The first period of construction from 1163 into the 1240s coincided with the musical experiments of the Notre Dame school.

Notre Dame de Paris was among the first buildings in the world to use the flying buttress (arched exterior supports).
Old 18th April 2019, 04:38 PM   #345
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Ten Cathedrals to see before you die... because of their architecture.
Winchester but not Durham?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 05:50 PM   #346
Steve
Illuminator

I answer as I go. I didn't see your very clever post until after I posted mine.
Not a problem. I have done the same.
Old 18th April 2019, 06:15 PM   #347
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
There were different lists. I just wanted one that mentioned what was memorable about Notre Dame.

I didn't think St Pat's belonged on the list either. It was like they felt the need to include one from the US. They should have looked around South America.
Old 18th April 2019, 07:46 PM   #348
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Associated Press via Yahoo News
Paris police investigators think an electrical short-circuit most likely caused the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral, a police official said Thursday, as France paid a daylong tribute to the firefighters who saved the world-renowned landmark.

A judicial police official told The Associated Press that investigators made an initial assessment of the cathedral Wednesday but don't have a green light to search Notre Dame's charred interior because of ongoing safety hazards.

The cathedral's fragile walls were being shored up with wooden planks, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to speak by name about an ongoing investigation.

Investigators so far believe the fire was accidental, and are questioning both cathedral staff and workers who were carrying out renovations. Some 40 people had been questioned by Thursday, according to the Paris prosecutor's office.

The police official would not comment on an unsourced report in Le Parisian newspaper that investigators are looking at whether the fire could have been linked to a computer glitch or the temporary elevators used in the renovation work, among other things. The prosecutor's office said only that "all leads must be explored."...
https://www.yahoo.com/news/france-ho...065303944.html
Old 18th April 2019, 08:16 PM   #349
Bob001
Philosopher

The Washington National Cathedral is repairing earthquake damage with Legos -- in a manner of speaking.
https://cathedral.org/LEGO
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2019, 09:33 AM   #350
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Canterbury is my favorite.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 19th April 2019, 09:34 AM   #351
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The Washington National Cathedral is repairing earthquake damage with Legos -- in a manner of speaking.
https://cathedral.org/LEGO
National Cathediral, though it was built to resemble a classic Gothic cathedrial as much as possible, was built using modern construction methods..not really comparable to Notre Dame.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 19th April 2019, 11:29 AM   #352
TX50
Graduate Poster

An American replied in French: Veuillez nous excuser pour notre crétin orange

Translation: Please excuse us for our orange moron
Isn't google translate wonderful?
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2019, 11:33 AM   #353
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

So it's a short circuit;one of the most common causes of fires, if not the most common.
But that will not stop the conspiracy kooks.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 19th April 2019, 03:24 PM   #354
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Canterbury is my favorite.
I like Canterbury.

Norwich is my favourite. the view as you approach from the river is fantastic.
Old 19th April 2019, 03:47 PM   #355
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
National Cathediral, though it was built to resemble a classic Gothic cathedrial as much as possible, was built using modern construction methods..not really comparable to Notre Dame.
You literally just compared the National Cathedral to Notre Dame.

Also, I'm pretty sure "cathedral" isn't spelled with an "i" in either of the two places you're experimenting with.

With which you are experimenting.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM   #356
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Westminster Cathedral has the added value of looking like a Mosque to easily-outraged knuckle-dragging UKIP supporters.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events