ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th April 2019, 05:33 PM   #41
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
It claimed her life.
This.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 05:44 PM   #42
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
It claimed her life.
Not to split hairs, but it didn't do it on it's own, it was her tool of choice the take her own life.
Old 17th April 2019, 06:32 PM   #43
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Not to split hairs, but it didn't do it on it's own, it was her tool of choice the take her own life.
Right. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Guns just make it so much easier.
Old 17th April 2019, 06:33 PM   #44
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
As is all-too-frequently the case.

And no-one say that it doesn't count because it was a suicide. Of course it ******* counts.
Old 17th April 2019, 06:37 PM   #45
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Right. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Guns just make it so much easier.
More suicides are completed with a gun than any other method. Restricting access to guns has a demonstrable clear effect on suicide rates. It's suicide prevention 101. Give someone time to reconsider, and they often will. Not always, but often. Access to a gun allows someone to act on the impulse in a moment.
Old 17th April 2019, 06:41 PM   #46
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

More suicides are completed with a gun than any other method. Restricting access to guns has a demonstrable clear effect on suicide rates. It's suicide prevention 101. Give someone time to reconsider, and they often will. Not always, but often. Access to a gun allows someone to act on the impulse in a moment.
I saw a statistic years ago saying that teen girls attempt suicide one or two orders of magnitude more often than teen boys. But "successful" suicides by teen boys outnumber those by girls by a similar margin. The girls scratch their wrists, or take a handful of aspirin. The boys get hold of a gun.

Citation Needed, of course.

I feel very sorry for the family of this young woman.
Old 17th April 2019, 07:09 PM   #47
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

"successful" suicides
"Completed" is best practice language.
Old 17th April 2019, 08:06 PM   #48
Venom
Master Poster

I saw a statistic years ago saying that teen girls attempt suicide one or two orders of magnitude more often than teen boys. But "successful" suicides by teen boys outnumber those by girls by a similar margin. The girls scratch their wrists, or take a handful of aspirin. The boys get hold of a gun.

It appears men have more "heart" when it comes to killing in general, but especially rampage violence, where the perpetrator just snaps and tries to take down a bunch of others with him.

I think it was something like less than 0.008% of rampage killers are women. But they share about 10% of total homicides in the U.S.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 08:42 PM   #49
pharphis
Graduate Poster

I don't want to derail but is this actually demonstrated? ie if guns are unavailable are suicide rates lower? International comparisons, or?

It certainly feels intuitively true but I don't know.

and even when they don't get a gun (ie where it is much harder to get a gun) boys and men still kill themselves more "successfully" or "completely" or whatever.

Last edited by pharphis; 17th April 2019 at 08:43 PM.
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 08:44 PM   #50
crescent
Master Poster

That's pretty much the argument for waiting periods. That could have saved this girl's life.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 09:11 PM   #51
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by pharphis View Post
I don't want to derail but is this actually demonstrated? ie if guns are unavailable are suicide rates lower? International comparisons, or?

It certainly feels intuitively true but I don't know.
I have been told so by mental health experts working in the field of suicide prevention, but I'm afraid I do not have a citation to back it up. They're probably in journals I don't have access to. But I trust the source, using a skeptic's definition of a trustworthy source (I hope my meaning is clear here).

And I should clarify that restricting access to guns drops the rate of suicide completion - not attempts.
Old 17th April 2019, 11:06 PM   #52
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

While I am no fan of the US seemingly free for all gun laws, background checks wouldn't have helped in this case, and by the sounds of it she just would have used another method even without access.

Seems she was more worried about doing it some where near Columbine.

Weird tribute or something, or a feeling of connection to the ones that died.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 11:19 PM   #53
pharphis
Graduate Poster

I have been told so by mental health experts working in the field of suicide prevention, but I'm afraid I do not have a citation to back it up. They're probably in journals I don't have access to. But I trust the source, using a skeptic's definition of a trustworthy source (I hope my meaning is clear here).

And I should clarify that restricting access to guns drops the rate of suicide completion - not attempts.
ok thanks for clarifying
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 11:40 PM   #54
This is The End

It claimed her life.

Give me a ****** break with that ****. There is no reason to spew that baseless propaganda babble in this thread.
Old 17th April 2019, 11:43 PM   #55
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
Give me a ****** break with that ****. There is no reason to spew that baseless propaganda babble in this thread.
Ah. I see we have a live one.
Old 17th April 2019, 11:47 PM   #56
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

"Completed" is best practice language.
It is more just making it sound nicer for the more "sensitive" isn't it?
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 11:49 PM   #57
This is The End

Originally Posted by pharphis View Post
ok thanks for clarifying

It's been debunked here several times over the years.

The only relationship conclusively proven is that countries that have guns have more gun suicides. Which is a big DURRRRRRR!!

A link between countries with guns having a statistically significant higher rate of suicides overall has never been proven. Most studies only show a very slight increase. But it would be one that would also show up if a country banned any popular method of suicide. Not just guns. You would see the down tick if you banned sleeping pills. Or rope.

Firearm are good at killing things. That is obvious. Any talk of preventing a significant number of suicides by banning guns is just ******* being spewed by people with an anti-gun agenda.
Old 17th April 2019, 11:52 PM   #58
This is The End

Ah. I see we have a live one.

You are free to make a thread about gun-control and have your propaganda debunked in it.

"People don't kill people, it's the guns that do it" is worse than that "heartbeat at 2 weeks" ******* that the creator cultists spew.
Old 18th April 2019, 12:07 AM   #59
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
It is more just making it sound nicer for the more "sensitive" isn't it?
Well, that's a terrible way of expressing it, but essentially, yes.

People who experience suicidal ideation experience an increase in suicidal thoughts for a lot of reasons - the language that people use and the way people describe suicide are big ones. As I mentioned, current best practice is to refer to "completed" suicide, - although there certainly is robust discussion in the suicide prevention community over this. It's generally not controversial to say that you shouldn't refer to a "successful" suicide because success is a goal to be sought, and that can increase the occurrence of suicidal thoughts. It's also considered bad form these days to say someone "committed suicide", because again that carries an implication of commitment to a goal. Instead, say that they "took their own life".

You shouldn't describe the method someone used to take their own life, as again this greatly increases suicidal ideation in susceptible readers or listeners. A person I know who is a multiple suicide attempt survivor had a VERY bad time when Robin Williams died, because the manner of his death was described in detail in several outlets. This is the real meaning of the word "trigger" and why I get snarky when it is misused. They experienced a massive increase in suicidal thinking and it took all of their mental health management strategies, including medication, to recover from that episode.

Anyway, I'm being long-winded. The point is, where suicide prevention is the goal, language matters. It matters a lot. Any person who works with suicidal people will be able to tell you that.
Old 18th April 2019, 12:08 AM   #60
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
You are free to make a thread about gun-control and have your propaganda debunked in it.

"People don't kill people, it's the guns that do it" is worse than that "heartbeat at 2 weeks" ******* that the creator cultists spew.
Obviously I disagree strongly, but as it turns out in this thread I'd much rather talk about suicide prevention, so there's really no need for vitriol.
Old 18th April 2019, 12:14 AM   #61
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Well, that's a terrible way of expressing it, but essentially, yes.

People who experience suicidal ideation experience an increase in suicidal thoughts for a lot of reasons - the language that people use and the way people describe suicide are big ones. As I mentioned, current best practice is to refer to "completed" suicide, - although there certainly is robust discussion in the suicide prevention community over this. It's generally not controversial to say that you shouldn't refer to a "successful" suicide because success is a goal to be sought, and that can increase the occurrence of suicidal thoughts. It's also considered bad form these days to say someone "committed suicide", because again that carries an implication of commitment to a goal. Instead, say that they "took their own life".

You shouldn't describe the method someone used to take their own life, as again this greatly increases suicidal ideation in susceptible readers or listeners. A person I know who is a multiple suicide attempt survivor had a VERY bad time when Robin Williams died, because the manner of his death was described in detail in several outlets. This is the real meaning of the word "trigger" and why I get snarky when it is misused. They experienced a massive increase in suicidal thinking and it took all of their mental health management strategies, including medication, to recover from that episode.

Anyway, I'm being long-winded. The point is, where suicide prevention is the goal, language matters. It matters a lot. Any person who works with suicidal people will be able to tell you that.
Yeah. Figured that was the reason.

Over here the vast majority of media have an agreed code where they don't even say suicide, let alone method.

But is always the same

"Died suddenly"

And then they chuck a heap of help line contacts under every story that refers to the person.

Old 18th April 2019, 12:41 AM   #62
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Yeah. Figured that was the reason.

Over here the vast majority of media have an agreed code where they don't even say suicide, let alone method.

But is always the same

"Died suddenly"

And then they chuck a heap of help line contacts under every story that refers to the person.
Yep. Good work, those media.
Old 19th April 2019, 05:20 AM   #63
Drewbot
Philosopher

And here I thought the #1 cause of suicide was mental illness.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM   #64
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
And here I thought the #1 cause of suicide was mental illness.
You're mixing up cause and method. Don't do that.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events