ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th April 2019, 07:17 PM   #761
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

*Sigh*

THAT HAVING BEEN SAID.

I just took a call from someone who was confused that her new emails weren't appearing in her Inbox.

I remoted to her computer and changed the sort order to show the newest emails at the top.

Old 17th April 2019, 12:08 AM   #762
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Right, but I think that to describe the situation as us having been "trained" is a bit unfair. To extend your metaphor to possibly beyond its breaking point, as pit crew I'm not expected to know how to drive the car. Some drivers might have that unreasonable expectation, but they still know enough about how to drive a car without the pit crew holding their hand the whole time. There are other drivers on the track, and in my experience they often seek help from those drivers first, before coming to the pit crew. Those who don't are an exception, rather than standard. And this knowledge that they have is enough to get the car around the track, but it may not be enough to know exactly when they need to stop for fuel.

And to end this metaphor on a perfect analogy, sometimes F1 cars crash.
Yeah, I think we have done it to death now.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 12:27 AM   #763
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

*Sigh*

THAT HAVING BEEN SAID.

I just took a call from someone who was confused that her new emails weren't appearing in her Inbox.

I remoted to her computer and changed the sort order to show the newest emails at the top.

https://i.imgur.com/XJ3Nw8n.gif
Here. Have one of these.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 12:38 AM   #764
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Here. Have one of these.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
While that is indeed a great ad, I am restricting myself to cheap-ass goon except on weekends. Incidentally, ass - also its flavour. If I'm going to drink every night at least I'm going to punish myself for doing it.
Old 19th April 2019, 03:12 PM   #765
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Almost. My point was that it was literally a four-click solution.
Far to many people, though, think the R-Click is some sort of mysterious and eldritch compact with the Elder Gods for all they use it or are willing to be taught to use it.

And back when I used to be on the service desk it was always a toss up about getting them to use it, first you had to explain where it was and that yes, you could click it. Then, inevitably, for the rest of the call whenever you asked them to click and no matter how many times you emphasised "Unless I say otherwise it's a normal, L-Click" they'd be asking if it was a Left or Right click...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2019, 09:28 PM   #766
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
Far to many people, though, think the R-Click is some sort of mysterious and eldritch compact with the Elder Gods for all they use it or are willing to be taught to use it.
I wonder if that means that the first computer they used was a Mac?
Old 20th April 2019, 06:54 AM   #767
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
It probably means that they learned — or were taught — the bare minimum about how to use a computer, including how to use a mouse, and thereafter have not bothered to learn more on their own.
Old 20th April 2019, 07:45 AM   #768
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post

And back when I used to be on the service desk it was always a toss up about getting them to use it, first you had to explain where it was and that yes, you could click it. Then, inevitably, for the rest of the call whenever you asked them to click and no matter how many times you emphasised "Unless I say otherwise it's a normal, L-Click" they'd be asking if it was a Left or Right click...
I mouse left-handed, and have the buttons reversed. It was always fun watching someone remote in to that.
Old 20th April 2019, 09:30 AM   #769
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I mouse left-handed, and have the buttons reversed. It was always fun watching someone remote in to that.
YEah - my work machine is setup oddly for most people. Disabled Caps Lock, menu at the side of the screen and I use a decent mouse with the acceleration cranked up.

Always fun watching others try to use it
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 01:37 PM   #770
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I'm a trackball user, always fun to see people struggling. Sadly I'm on my last Microsoft Explorer trackball and they don't make them any longer.
Old 20th April 2019, 03:16 PM   #771
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I'm a trackball user, always fun to see people struggling. Sadly I'm on my last Microsoft Explorer trackball and they don't make them any longer.
Have you looked at Logitech? They have a handful of options for trackballs and I've always found their mice comfortable.

Old 20th April 2019, 03:42 PM   #772
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I use logitech track-man and they work fine.

I also keep a mouse plugged into my work-station at work, because the track ball causes heads to implode.

Edited to add correct name and link:

This one

Last edited by novaphile; 20th April 2019 at 03:44 PM.
novaphile is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM   #773
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
I use logitech track-man and they work fine.

I also keep a mouse plugged into my work-station at work, because the track ball causes heads to implode.

Edited to add correct name and link:

This one
I have to use a mouse when I use someone else's computer, it's only fair and right they have to use a trackball if they want to use mine....

Over the years it's really helped people not to use my computers!
Old Yesterday, 08:48 AM   #774
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Mice and trackballs. Does anyone here use the trackpad?

I don't. I hate those.
Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM   #775
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I've got a (blissfully small) number of users who use those horrid old Logitech "ergonomic" trackballs and split keyboards.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM   #776
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The problem I had with the split keyboards is that they were based on the idea of writing standard English, not great for programming and the like that needs a lot of non standard touchtyping characters.
Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM   #777
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

But what do I know I miss the, pardon the vulgar term, Keyboard Clit pointing devices which is seems are almost universally despised.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM   #778
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
But what do I know I miss the, pardon the vulgar term, Keyboard Clit pointing devices which is seems are almost universally despised.
My new work-issued laptop has one. And it's been a lifesaver. The touchpads on these things are so sensitive that a mosquito fart in the next cubicle will scroll my mouse across three inches of screen.
Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM   #779
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Is that the little rubber eraser thing in the middle that IBM was so fond of?
Old Yesterday, 12:28 PM   #780
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yeah. It was ubiquitous on IBMs, common on Toshiba's and occasionally found here and there for a while, but it's been a long time since I saw one on a new machine.
Old Yesterday, 12:28 PM   #781
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Yep. I always called it "the nubbin".
Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM   #782
CORed
Philosopher

I had a laptop with one of those, and preferred it to the trackpad (I think that's what they're called. the rectangular thing below the keyboard that you moved your finger across to move the mouse cursor). that it also had. It took a little getting used to, but worked fine once I got used to it. I still preferred a mouse, assuming I had one with me and room to use it.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM   #783
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I just take my normal desktop mouse with me as I'm mostly either using my laptop at my desk in a docking station, or taking it to a meeting on site. Several people take special travelling mouses and for short walks, they seem to be an utter pain.

Mind you, I quite like the trackpad on my personal laptop at home - I don't know if it is the PC or Windows-10 but it works nicely - so much that I rarely use the touchscreen - although I do sometimes, and frequently enough that I try to use the non-existent touchscreen on my work laptop.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM   #784
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I'm ambimoustrous. I'm strongly right-handed but I get RSI in my right wrist so quite a few years ago now I trained myself to use a mouse with my left. But whenever I remote in to someone else's computer I have to switch sides. Except on those few occasions where they're a leftie too, which are awesome.
Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM   #785
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Yep. I always called it "the nubbin".
For me, it was always the G-spot.

'Cause it's right next to the G key.
Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM   #786
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post

I don't. I hate those.
I use the trackpad when I'm on my Mac at home (the Mac Mini or the Macbook). They're pretty good once you've got a few gestures down.
Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM   #787
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Yeah. It was ubiquitous on IBMs, common on Toshiba's and occasionally found here and there for a while, but it's been a long time since I saw one on a new machine.
Current Dell Latitudes have them.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM   #788
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'm ambimoustrous. I'm strongly right-handed but I get RSI in my right wrist so quite a few years ago now I trained myself to use a mouse with my left. But whenever I remote in to someone else's computer I have to switch sides. Except on those few occasions where they're a leftie too, which are awesome.
Yes, that's why I do it too. None of the doctors or ergonomic experts I saw ever suggested it. But since I switched, I've gone from over-use of naproxen sodium and a splint on my right hand every night, to barely noticing I ever had CTS. The main symptom now is a numb thumb while driving.
Old Yesterday, 07:23 PM   #789
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Current Dell Latitudes have them.
So they have. Just opened the lid on one of the newer models, 7490, we have around here and saw one. Pretty much always use it in a dock with KB and mouse so hadn’t noticed.
Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM   #790
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Yes, that's why I do it too. None of the doctors or ergonomic experts I saw ever suggested it. But since I switched, I've gone from over-use of naproxen sodium and a splint on my right hand every night, to barely noticing I ever had CTS. The main symptom now is a numb thumb while driving.
Have you tried one of these? I used one for several years and never had any pain. It was, by far, the best mouse I have ever used.
Old Today, 12:19 AM   #791
Wudang
BOFH

That's odd. It's actually one of the first things I suggest to people and it's quite obvious when explained. A standard keyboard with a numeric keypad on the right means that, with your index fingers resting on f and j* you have a greater reach across the right to use a mouse than you would on the left.
On the remote chance you find a copy in a used book store I can strongly recommend Linden's "Compute in Comfort". Instead of the usual rote recommendation he tries to teach you how to listen to your body telling you how it wants to move. Maybe ask your library?

*That's why f&j have little bumps on them for those who don't know. Touch typing.
Old Today, 07:22 AM   #792
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Must be difficult, having to do a job on a computer with different settings. What strategies did you develop, to make the process smoother? Did you just warn them as they were remoting in? Or did you find there were additional things you or they could do to make their job easier?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:38 AM   #793
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Must be difficult, having to do a job on a computer with different settings. What strategies did you develop, to make the process smoother? Did you just warn them as they were remoting in? Or did you find there were additional things you or they could do to make their job easier?
I DID warn them. It usually didn't penetrate until about the third time I told them. I was never very impressed with the computer support people at Boeing. I'd guess most of them were probably employed by third parties who got them off the street and trained them for a week before sending them in, because that's the way Boeing liked to do things.
Old Today, 08:44 AM   #794
Wudang
BOFH

The PC support staff at HSBC were similar and obviously followed scripts based on standard software for clerical staff. I supported and wrote specialized tools for IT ops and still was supposed to go through them. I had more authority on some of the bank's most critical servers than I did on my developer laptop. Some of the scripts obviously did not cover the existence of dual monitors which was amusing the first few times.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet