ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags College Democrats , jerry falwell jr , Liberty University

Old 22nd May 2009, 02:50 PM   #1
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Liberty University shuts down Young Democrats club

Liberty University, started by Jerry Falwell, has recently shut the door on the College Democrats after six months of existence on its campus. The story:

Quote:
Kaine calls on LU to reconsider Democratic club ban
By Ray Reed
Lynchburg News & Advance
Published: May 21, 2009

Updated 4:15 p.m.:

Liberty University president Jerry Falwell Jr. made his first public comments today about the university’s suspension of the campus Democratic party club.

“That club still has the right to exist,“ Falwell said, although it cannot use the university’s name in its activities.

“They still can meet on campus,“ in certain rooms, he said. “There is absolutely no animosity at all toward any of these kids.

“They are good, Christian kids who sit with me at ball games. I just hope they find a pro-life family organization to affiliate with so they can be endorsed by Liberty again.“

More politicians, including Gov. Timothy M. Kaine, have joined gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe in commenting about Liberty University’s revocation of the campus Democratic Party club.
Earlier:

Liberty University has revoked its recognition of the campus Democratic Party club, saying “we are unable to lend support to a club whose parent organization stands against the moral principles held by” the university.

“It kind of happened out of nowhere,” said Brian Diaz, president of LU’s student Democratic Party organization, which LU formally recognized in October.

Diaz said he was notified of the school’s decision May 15 in an e-mail from Mark Hine, vice president of student affairs.

According to the e-mail, the club must stop using the university’s name, holding meetings on campus, or advertising events. Violators could incur one or more reprimands under the school’s Liberty Way conduct code, and anyone who accumulates 30 reprimands is subject to expulsion.

Hine said late Thursday that the university could not sanction an official club that supported Democratic candidates.

“We are in no way attempting to stifle free speech.”

Hine said the university had recently completed a policy that would govern clubs and organizations on campus.

“We looked at each club and organization to determine where it stood and unfortunately this one kind of got in the sights of policy, if you will,” he said.

Hine’s e-mail mentioned that he had expressed a concern to Diaz about the national Democratic Party’s platform during a meeting earlier in the semester.
Hine’s e-mail said, “The candidates this club supports uphold the platform and implement it. The candidates supported are directly contrary to the mission of Liberty University.”

The goals of the Democratic Party and LU “run in opposite directions,” the e-mail said.

LU has had a College Republicans club for several years.

Claire Ayendi, who was chairman of the Republican club last year and graduated this spring, said she didn’t regard the university’s disbanding of the Democratic group as a political act.

“I think it’s more like a moral issue,” Ayendi said. “Letting a club like that exist goes against what the school is founded on,” she said.
In a written statement sent to The News & Advance Thursday night, Hine said, “Among other things, Liberty University stands for the sanctity of human life. The loss of human life through abortion is a great tragedy and we cannot remain silent when the political policies or politicians themselves promote the destruction of innocent human life.

“While those who are members of the LU Democratic Club are well intentioned and honorable, the platform and policies of the national Democratic Party and the candidates supported by that party, and thus the student organization itself, are inconsistent with the mission of the University.”
Full article: Lynchburg News & Advance

The email's text:

Quote:
Sent: Friday, May 15, 2009 1:37 PM
Subject: LU College Democrats

I must inform you that the College democrats' club is no longer going to be recognized as a Liberty University club. We are unable to lend support to a club whose parent organization stands against the moral principles held by Liberty University. I expressed these concerns when we met, earlier in the spring semester.
No student club or organization shall be approved, recognized or permitted to meet on campus, advertise, distribute or post materials, or use University facilities if the statements, positions, doctrines, policies, constitutions, bylaws, platforms, activities or events of such club or organization, its parent, affiliate, chapter or similarly named group (even if the similarly named group is not the actual parent, affiliate or chapter) are inconsistent or in conflict with the distinctly Christian mission of the University, the Liberty Way, the Honor Code, or the policies and procedures promulgated by the University.
Source

Can someone tell me why this "university" is called liberty?

Also see this thread on Libery University's accreditation and required creation science graduation class.
Questioninggeller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2009, 03:57 PM   #2
tomwaits
Master Poster

You should be glad. Why would a democrat want to go to a fundamentalist school started by Jerry Falwell?
tomwaits is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2009, 05:51 PM   #3
Robster, FCD
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by tomwaits View Post
You should be glad. Why would a democrat want to go to a fundamentalist school started by Jerry Falwell?
Because thats where mom and dad would pay for? Or once they got there they figured out what bull LU was?

If Allopathy is modern medicine, I would say Homoeopathy is post-modern medicine. -- "Dr." Nancy Malik
Robster, FCD is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2009, 07:47 PM   #4
Ferguson
Muse

Frankly, I'm surprised they ever allowed a democratic party student group in the first place.
Ferguson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2009, 08:08 PM   #5
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Questioninggeller View Post
Can someone tell me why this "university" is called liberty?

Another case of a good word, gone bad. Think Patriot Act. Or the Peace Keeper (MX) missle.

I like this bit.

Quote:
... Mark Hine, vice president of student affairs.
“We looked at each club and organization to determine where it stood and unfortunately this one kind of got in the sights of policy, if you will,” he said.

Mr. Hine excels in, um, spokesmanship.
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2009, 08:40 PM   #6
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Hey, the smaller the corner these nut jobs paint themselves into, the better off the rest of us are. It's when these guys attract the mainstream we need to worry.

That and the fact they graduate nurses from Liberty despite teaching evolution theory is wrong. If you want to add your email to mine, email the NLNAC that accredits nursing schools and tell them what you think about freedom from science in nursing accreditation standards.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 22nd May 2009 at 08:45 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2009, 10:23 PM   #7
Dan O.
Banned

Liberty University Inc. has been registered as a 501(c)3 tax exempt organization. As such, it is prohibited from engaging in activity that supports or opposes political candidates or groups.

This clear statement by the university shows that they never have been non-partisan and back taxes should be immediately collected.
Dan O. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:00 PM   #8
GreyICE

Idiots are stupid, news at 11.
GreyICE is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2009, 02:31 AM   #9
Nogbad
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Dan O. View Post
Liberty University Inc. has been registered as a 501(c)3 tax exempt organization. As such, it is prohibited from engaging in activity that supports or opposes political candidates or groups.

This clear statement by the university shows that they never have been non-partisan and back taxes should be immediately collected.
That seems fair.

Effectively they are saying you can't be a Democrat and a Christian.

Quite why these kids would want to be there at all baffles me though. Falwell is way out there in the fringe spectrum.

There are a lot of good Universities in the US but this one I have never heard of before - and with a bit of luck never will again
Old 23rd May 2009, 08:22 AM   #10
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Was this the school that Franken tried to infiltrate?

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2009, 08:52 AM   #11
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Yes.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2009, 09:12 AM   #12
shadron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ferguson View Post
Frankly, I'm surprised they ever allowed a democratic party student group in the first place.
I would guess that it was because they believed that:

1) The Youth for Democrats Club wouldn't endorse the Democratic Party; or
2) The Democratic Party wouldn't endorse Pro-Choice; or
3) They believed that the Club would drop the endorsement when they realized that Morals were on the line; or
4) They waited for a miracle.

Mainly, I think it was mostly that the Democrats won the election, and debate on campus was getting extremely dicey and physical, and it was cheaper than renting out two more cops.

If I were in the Republican Youth Club, I'd be thinking over my membership hard at this point. It doesn't sound, from the piece, that that is happening.
shadron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2009, 09:14 AM   #13
Bob Klase
Master Poster

Liberty University Inc. has been registered as a 501(c)3 tax exempt organization.

I didn't know that. I thought they were a private organization and not tax exempt. But even ignoring that, the claim:

Quote:
“We are in no way attempting to stifle free speech.”

is ridiculous. Particularly coming from the same people who want to "teach the controversy" in everybody else's schools.
Bob Klase is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2009, 09:17 AM   #14
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I think that was Bob Jones University.
Questioninggeller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2009, 10:50 AM   #15
Achán hiNidráne
Illuminator

Originally Posted by shadron View Post
If I were in the Republican Youth Club, I'd be thinking over my membership hard at this point. It doesn't sound, from the piece, that that is happening.
Ah, but that's the trouble, if YOU were the Republican Youth Club... Back in my days at UW-Milwaukee, I was a member of the College Republicans, and I and tell you if this were to happen to the Campus Democrats of UWM, we'd have been partying over this "victory" to the break of dawn.

Remember, partisanship can be a religion in itself, when it's mixed with actually faith... WHOA NELLY!
"As the Corpse Lord knows, men today are ill-trained--ignoble: naught but wet anuses dribbling childish terrors and superstitions! Thus is knowledge--history, science, the world of the ancients--lost, never to be regained!" --M.A.R. Barker, "The Man of Gold"
Achán hiNidráne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2009, 08:46 AM   #16
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Here's an update from the chair of the club:

Quote:
A Statement from Brian Diaz over his resignation with LU Dem Club
Liberty University News
Jun 19, 2009
Although I have put in a tremendous amount of work this past year, I believe that based on the dismissal of Maria Childress as our club sponsor, as well as an email from the administration to me stating that, “You are distorting the truth, and you know it. You have no credibility with me” forces me to resign as club President and look for other educational opportunities by the means of transferring to a new institution.
I hope that I can transfer to an institution this coming fall that will continue to help me develop my education, bipartisanship, and leadership skills. I will be applying to a number of schools including Virginia Commonwealth University, Randolph College, and a number of other universities across the Commonwealth.
Full statement: Liberty University News
Old 20th June 2009, 09:16 AM   #17
ravdin
Illuminator

I'm glad Mr. Diaz will leave Liberty and I wish him success in his academic career at a proper university.

Liberty U. should pay taxes just like any other business. As a fully private institution, I wouldn't object to LU allowing any groups on campus that Jerry Falwell Jr. sees fit. I can only hope that the rest of the student body will follow in Diaz's footsteps.

Believe what you're told. There would be chaos if everyone thought for themselves. -Top Dog slogan
ravdin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2009, 09:17 AM   #18
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Liberty University is just a partisan institution for Falwell Christian Republicans? Who knew?

What tremendous ass hats.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2009, 10:06 AM   #19
The_Animus
Illuminator

Has anyone e-mailed or called the university or IRS and asked about this? I would be most interested to know the response. I'd consider doing it myself, but as I don't actually know that this is true, and don't have the supporting evidence to back it up I wouldn't feel comfortable making the claim.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events