ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags jerry falwell jr , Liberty University

Old 7th August 2020, 10:42 PM   #1
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Jerry Falwell Jr Leaves Liberty University

Jerry Falwell agreed to take an indefinite leave of absence after posting a picture of himself with his wife's assistant both with their pants unzipped and midriffs exposed.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/07/us/je...ave/index.html

All I have to say is, that's it? These people have to get out more. As scandals go, this is really disappointing. He should have at least had sex with his meth dealer. As far as we know, the baby his wife's assistant is pregnant with isn't even his love child. So disappointing. One hopes Falwell will spend his time away from the university figuring out how to have a real sex scandal.
Old 8th August 2020, 01:55 AM   #2
Mojo
Mostly harmless

But would you vote for him for the President of the United States of America?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2020, 02:57 AM   #3
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Jerry Falwell agreed to take an indefinite leave of absence after posting a picture of himself with his wife's assistant both with their pants unzipped and midriffs exposed.

All I have to say is, that's it? These people have to get out more. As scandals go, this is really disappointing. He should have at least had sex with his meth dealer. As far as we know, the baby his wife's assistant is pregnant with isn't even his love child. So disappointing. One hopes Falwell will spend his time away from the university figuring out how to have a real sex scandal.
From reading the article I would say there is more than that picture - I actually find his account of the picture very believable and don't think it would have resulted in his sacking-by-another-name. At the end of the article there is this:

Quote:
...snipp

Rep. Mark Walker, a Republican from North Carolina and a member of a Liberty University advisory board, called Thursday on Falwell to resign, calling his ongoing behavior "appalling."

...snip...
I'd say it is either internal politics or he has been naughty and this was the straw that broke the camel*'s back.

*Please note the "Miniaturisation of camels to get you into heaven" research can always benefit from your donations.
Old 8th August 2020, 10:20 AM   #4
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
From reading the article I would say there is more than that picture - I actually find his account of the picture very believable and don't think it would have resulted in his sacking-by-another-name. At the end of the article there is this:

I'd say it is either internal politics or he has been naughty and this was the straw that broke the camel*'s back.

*Please note the "Miniaturisation of camels to get you into heaven" research can always benefit from your donations.
I'm not sure I would sack the guy but then I am not a FUNDAMENTALIST CHRISTIAN so my standards are lower.
Old 8th August 2020, 10:28 AM   #5
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

The linked article doesn't seem to include the picture so here it is with them pasted into the oval office.

Not to worry, though. When he first posted it he reassured viewers that the drink he's holding was just "black water". And I'm not making that up.
Old 8th August 2020, 10:51 AM   #6
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

No, no, no... It's supposed to be "a long-planned vacation."
Old 8th August 2020, 01:08 PM   #7
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
The linked article doesn't seem to include the picture so here it is with them pasted into the oval office.

Not to worry, though. When he first posted it he reassured viewers that the drink he's holding was just "black water". And I'm not making that up.
They show the pic in the video but I like your version of it better.

At first I thought it would be more of a dick-pic, that seems to be the news media's focus.

But it looks more like a 'cheating on his wife' scandal. I can't believe people post this kind of thing on their FB pages.
Old 8th August 2020, 01:33 PM   #8
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

At first I thought it would be more of a dick-pic, that seems to be the news media's focus.

But it looks more like a 'cheating on his wife' scandal. I can't believe people post this kind of thing on their FB pages.
Internet posting rule #4 -- don't post while drunk.
Old 8th August 2020, 02:16 PM   #9
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

No real indication he was cheating with her. It was a party on a yacht.

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Now, now, it was just black water.
Old 8th August 2020, 03:51 PM   #10
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Here is audio of Falwell calling into a morning show to defend himself. I think he made things significantly worse.

As a reminder, students at Liberty U are prohibited from consuming alcohol at any time.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2020, 03:59 PM   #11
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Why didn't he just say it was a coke? Or Pepsi...
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2020, 05:00 PM   #12
p0lka
Master Poster

Oh the fragility.

If his zip was not undone in the photo then he would still be worthy?
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2020, 05:19 PM   #13
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
Why didn't he just say it was a coke? Or Pepsi...
"Coke" may be part of his problem!
Old 8th August 2020, 05:34 PM   #14
marting
Graduate Poster

The flesh is weak.
Old 8th August 2020, 06:53 PM   #15
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by marting View Post
The flesh is weak.
So is the zipper
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2020, 08:22 PM   #16
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Jerry Falwell left Liberty University, you say?

Everyone should, frankly. Including, particularly, students.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2020, 08:35 PM   #17
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

I’m having fun trying to imagine an image of his daddy instead. Where’s Larry Flynt anyway?
Old 8th August 2020, 08:41 PM   #18
Ulf Nereng
Muse

At Liberty University one is not at liberty to do certain things, apparently.
Ulf Nereng is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2020, 02:12 AM   #19
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

No kidding. When the drinking starts, put the phone in airplane mode.
Old 9th August 2020, 07:21 AM   #20
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster

And from last September, a report of a previous episode of similar behavior:

Quote:
One day after POLITICO published a piece in which Jerry Falwell Jr. denied visiting a Miami Beach nightclub in July 2014 and alleged that any images showing such were “photo-shopped,” a new trove of photos showing Falwell at the club has been released.

Seth Browarnik, the owner of World Red Eye, a photography company that documents Miami’s bustling nightlife scene, says he was unaware how many photos he had of Falwell until Falwell alleged that his site’s images were manipulated—prompting Browarnik to explore his photo archive to prove otherwise.
https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...s-miami-228054

“Indefinite leave of absence” sounds to me like a chicken-**** hedge in hopes his followers have short memories.
Old 9th August 2020, 07:24 AM   #21
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by ferd burfle View Post

“Indefinite leave of absence” sounds to me like a chicken-**** hedge in hopes his followers have short memories.
I'm sorry but the first image on that page proves he was doing the Lord's work - look at all those saints and angels with halos!

Seriously - it does seem then that this was the straw that broke the camel's back.
Old 9th August 2020, 10:21 PM   #22
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ferd burfle View Post

His followers are unfortunately saddled with the weakness of believing in redemption.

Next, he's just in a Miami Nightclub. I go back to my original thesis. These people need to get out more. He was in Miami and went to a night club. It's not really my thing when I'm down there but who cares? It's not like the pictures show him having sex with his meth dealer. This guy sucks at scandals. He really needs to link up with Ted Haggard and see how it's done.

Last edited by Craig4; 9th August 2020 at 10:26 PM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2020, 10:36 PM   #23
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Hoisted on their own petard. Just that for everyone else, that's a petard on a toy sailboat.

Whatevs.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2020, 11:30 PM   #24
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Hoisted on their own petard. Just that for everyone else, that's a petard on a toy sailboat.

Whatevs.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Hoist with his on petard.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 11:43 PM   #25
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

He was in South Beach and he couldn't even score some blow?
Old 12th August 2020, 06:58 AM   #26
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

My response has been, wait a minute - is he suggesting that he was SOBER when that picture was taken?
Old 14th August 2020, 02:39 PM   #27
Pacal
Graduate Poster

I am disappointed. There was nothing about The Gay Pool Boy and the Gay Bed and Breakfast.
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2020, 03:30 PM   #28
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

I'm sorry but the first image on that page proves he was doing the Lord's work - look at all those saints and angels with halos!

Seriously - it does seem then that this was the straw that broke the camel's back.
I would suggest that camel's back was severely weakened by efforts to make it flexible enough to pass through the eye of a needle.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2020, 03:48 PM   #29
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Ulf Nereng View Post
At Liberty University one is not at liberty to do certain things, apparently.
Many, many things; kiss, hug for more than three seconds, dance, watch The King's Speech......
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2020, 04:43 PM   #30
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

What you need to realize is that he pretty much broke a number of the rules of the University, such as drinking, getting drunk, posting provocative images on social media, and it's not the first time.

The Fundy Christians that run the place, and some outside of it, basically said, time to go because if you can't uphold the standards you expect the students to, you can't be a leader in the University.

There doesn't need to be more, what he already did was really, really, bad (in the eyes of the University). If he was a student there, he would have been expelled for it.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 15th August 2020 at 04:44 PM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2020, 05:03 AM   #31
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
What you need to realize is that he pretty much broke a number of the rules of the University, such as drinking, getting drunk, posting provocative images on social media, and it's not the first time.

The Fundy Christians that run the place, and some outside of it, basically said, time to go because if you can't uphold the standards you expect the students to, you can't be a leader in the University.

There doesn't need to be more, what he already did was really, really, bad (in the eyes of the University). If he was a student there, he would have been expelled for it.
I go back to my original thesis, that's provocative? When I saw the picture, I threw-up a little in my mouth. Crude and kind of gross but if someone finds that provocative, they should move to Berlin where people into that sort of thing are accepted.
Old 19th August 2020, 05:16 AM   #32
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Even better, it appears to have been a Trailer Park Boys themed party.

https://www.saltwire.com/news/canada...-party-481301/

A running gag in the show is that Julian always has a rum and coke in his hand. There's even a scene of him emerging from a flipped over car with the drink intact.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 19th August 2020, 05:51 AM   #33
Modified
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Even better, it appears to have been a Trailer Park Boys themed party.

https://www.saltwire.com/news/canada...-party-481301/

A running gag in the show is that Julian always has a rum and coke in his hand. There's even a scene of him emerging from a flipped over car with the drink intact.

Note that Julian having his pants unbuttoned and shirt tied above flabby stomach was not a running gag in the show.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2020, 08:49 AM   #34
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Trailer Park Boys? I'm sure that is in heavy rotation at Liberty U.
Old 19th August 2020, 09:35 AM   #35
Modified
Philosopher

Trailer Park Boys? I'm sure that is in heavy rotation at Liberty U.

It's educational. They have to learn what not to do.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2020, 10:31 AM   #36
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

OMG! According to the "pool boy", Jerry liked to watch!
And maybe Michael Cohen used the affair to blackmail Falwell into endorsing Trump. Maybe.
Note that I have not yet thoroughly read either article, but I'll do so now.
Old 24th August 2020, 02:03 PM   #37
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Ask, and you shall receive.
I AGREE
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2020, 02:32 PM   #38
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Good riddance, you hypocritical little scumbag.

Yet another "christian" ousted for dishonouring his church.

Bonus points for channeling Chauncey Gardner's "I like to watch".
Old 24th August 2020, 03:41 PM   #39
Modified
Philosopher

OMG! According to the "pool boy", Jerry liked to watch!
And maybe Michael Cohen used the affair to blackmail Falwell into endorsing Trump. Maybe.
Note that I have not yet thoroughly read either article, but I'll do so now.

Something, something, God's forgiveness, something...
Old 24th August 2020, 03:55 PM   #40
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Ask, and you shall receive.
I AGREE
Okay, I've consulted the judges and we can now say we have a real sex scandal. They would have preferred cocaine be involved but being a reverend in charge of an evangelical university and watching some other guy bang his wife gets him over the finish line.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy