ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags jerry falwell jr , Liberty University

Old 24th August 2020, 04:10 PM   #41
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Have to put on my "Elmer Gantry" dvd tonight.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2020, 04:13 PM   #42
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Ask, and you shall receive.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Video won't play. "reload" on the end may be the problem. I shall try editing.

Originally Posted by Modified View Post
Something, something, God's forgiveness, something...
He's quick to point out that he's not a pastor....
Old 24th August 2020, 04:55 PM   #43
kedo1981
Master Poster

WOW! Think of all the times he "slut-shamed" some student that got pregnant, or called out a gay kid in front of their families and churches. And he's been having "cream-pie" for dessert, all along, I guess it's true, Christians aren't perfect just forgiven,(so ya may as well do a "dirty Sanchez" for ya die)
kedo1981 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2020, 05:23 PM   #44
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Okay, I've consulted the judges and we can now say we have a real sex scandal. They would have preferred cocaine be involved but being a reverend in charge of an evangelical university and watching some other guy bang his wife gets him over the finish line.

Give him and his wife points for weaving a most tangled web.
Old 24th August 2020, 05:29 PM   #45
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kedo1981 View Post
WOW! Think of all the times he "slut-shamed" some student that got pregnant, or called out a gay kid in front of their families and churches. And he's been having "cream-pie" for dessert, all along, I guess it's true, Christians aren't perfect just forgiven,(so ya may as well do a "dirty Sanchez" for ya die)
That's just it. I wouldn't care in the slightest if the three of them were engaged in this relationship as consenting adults. It's that he holds himself up as a pinnacle of Christian virtue and shames others.
Old 24th August 2020, 05:36 PM   #46
marting
Graduate Poster

Falwell is now saying he hasn't resigned. He may be toast, but he's still in the toaster.
Old 24th August 2020, 07:16 PM   #47
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Modified View Post
Something, something, God's forgiveness, something...
Yes, I'm sure his Trump god will forgive him.
Old 24th August 2020, 08:32 PM   #48
marting
Graduate Poster

Update:

Press release by Liberty University

Quote:
Lynchburg, VA—On the first day of classes of Liberty University’s fall term, Jerry Falwell, Jr., agreed to resign as its President and from its Board of Directors, but following media reports about the resignation, withdrew it.

The Executive Committee’s Board of Trustees asked Falwell to go on indefinite leave of absence on August 7, to which he agreed. Since that time, additional matters came to light that made it clear that it would not be in the best interest of the University for him to return from leave and serve as President. The Executive Committee met this morning and a conference call gathering of the full Board was planned for tomorrow.
https://www.liberty.edu/news/2020/08...verses-course/

Resignations from corporate entities have to be in writing so Falwell bugged out.
He will be gone tomorrow.
Old 24th August 2020, 08:35 PM   #49
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

This doesn't make Liberty University any more respected than before. Just because one turd fell out of the bowl does not mean it not still full of ****.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2020, 03:21 AM   #50
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Falwell is now taking a rest from public life to be with his family.

Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2020, 07:26 AM   #51
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Would it be creepy if he thought of the pool-boy as family?

ETA - this was all predicted in The Man With Two Brains
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis

Last edited by Filippo Lippi; 25th August 2020 at 07:28 AM.
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2020, 12:42 PM   #52
marting
Graduate Poster

WSJ reports Falwell caved and sent a letter of resignation last night:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/jerry-f...on-11598319341

Quote:
In a phone call to The Wall Street Journal, Mr. Falwell said he had just sent his resignation letter to the board of the Christian school in Virginia.
By the postal service or drop it off with the board's Chairman or Secretary? If by postal service it won't be effective when the board meets today unless it's received by then which is unlikely. It might even just be a claim so the board doesn't take formal action to remove him as they await the formal resignation.

He also made an interesting claim to the Journal:

Quote:
“The board put me on leave, took away my duties as prez, and that’s not permitted by my contract,” Mr. Falwell said Monday night.
Laws do not allow contracts to require a board to guarantee anyone a position such as CEO or President as a matter of public policy. Can't be done and any contract purporting to do so is void. I believe when Falwell was suspended, he continued to be paid. Contracts can require that.

Likely Falwell is simply confused.
Old 25th August 2020, 02:03 PM   #53
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post

That's awful. His family shouldn't have to go through that.
Old 25th August 2020, 02:28 PM   #54
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Values dissonance all over the place! If I were involved with that college I'd be a lot more pissed off about the money shenanigans than voyeurism. But fraud, embezzlement, and theft are all okay so long as nothing sexual is going on! And the sex...apparently he just watched? That's pretty tame stuff.
Old 25th August 2020, 03:39 PM   #55
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

That's awful. His family shouldn't have to go through that.
Haha! Nice.

Cruel & unusual punishment?
Old 25th August 2020, 03:48 PM   #56
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'm anxiously awaiting the "University" trying to figure out how half their assests wound up in Falwell's name. Starting with the house they supposedly sold to his son.
Old 25th August 2020, 03:52 PM   #57
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by marting View Post
WSJ reports Falwell caved and sent a letter of resignation last night:
That means there are texts out there indicating he did more than watch.
Old 25th August 2020, 04:22 PM   #58
carlitos
"más divertido"

Jerry Falwell Jr Leaves Liberty University

Conspiracy theory for your consideration:

When Falwell Jr endorsed philandering, pussy-grabbing, thrice-married vulgarian Donald J Trump, there were still two religious evangelicals in the race. Cruz and Rubio. Given that the Falwell’s cabana boy was in a hostel in South Beach, and Trump and his minions are Florida men, is it possible that they blackmailed Falwell with a threat of exposure of his swinging lifestyle back then?
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2020, 04:45 PM   #59
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Conspiracy theory for your consideration:

When Falwell Jr endorsed philandering, pussy-grabbing, thrice-married vulgarian Donald J Trump, there were still two religious evangelicals in the race. Cruz and Rubio. Given that the Falwell’s cabana boy was in a hostel in South Beach, and Trump and his minions are Florida men, is it possible that they blackmailed Falwell with a threat of exposure of his swinging lifestyle back then?
Chances are that Falwell's predilections were well-known among his associates and probably the whole "Liberty University" organisation, and perhaps by his local community in general. It may well transpire that they, too, are indulging similar saucy escapades, so his are probably not a one-off. Most TV evangelists get caught up in money, sex and drugs scandals, usually all at once.

Blackmail requires the threat of publicity to be effective. In this case, if most people around them knew, the threat is probably not very effective.

I think Trump only wants the evangelical vote so he can win elections. He really doesn't give a flying about them at any other time.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2020, 06:34 PM   #60
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
This doesn't make Liberty University any more respected than before. Just because one turd fell out of the bowl does not mean it not still full of ****.
Yeah, remember that the reason Liberty needs him to resign is because it makes them very hard to impose their oppressive rules on students' personal lives when the President is a kink-fiend.
Old 26th August 2020, 03:45 AM   #61
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Falwell is now taking a rest from public life to be with watch his family.

FTFY
Old 26th August 2020, 04:07 AM   #62
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
FTFY

https://twitter.com/ChrisRRegan/stat...711382528?s=20

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
FTFY
Yes, but I was paraphrasing to not copy, and to be more accurate.

I mean, the wife looked on... and girlfriends and boyfriends and poly partnerships are all fine in families.

Jerry may be more progressive than you lot!
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2020, 06:53 AM   #63
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

...and do you Jerry, take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife, to have and let the pool boy hold...
Old 26th August 2020, 06:58 AM   #64
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Pretty shameful behavior by Falwell. Obviously failing to live up to the Christian standards he allegedly professes. Not even a good kinkster either, he tried to save his reputation by throwing his wife under the bus by claiming she had an "affair" that he forgave. Trying to paint your consensual cucking as a shameful affair is pretty ****** behavior, if you ask me.

It guess it's a bit funny to know this dude likes to watch his wife get rammed by the pool boy, but the real moral failure is Falwell's total cowardice and hypocrisy.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 26th August 2020 at 07:00 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2020, 07:15 AM   #65
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

That's really it here. How many kids killed themselves because he told them what they were was shameful and evil? How many families were torn apart because parents couldn't accept that their kid was LGBTQ? That's why I'm enjoying is downfall so much. If he'd kept his mouth shut on the topic, I really wouldn't care.
Old 27th August 2020, 07:16 PM   #66
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

...and do you Jerry, take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife, to have and let the pool boy hold...
Reminds me of this old commercial.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GCHacc1fVbo
Old 28th August 2020, 06:11 AM   #67
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Athyrio View Post
Reminds me of this old commercial.

[url]
Thanks for that.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2020, 08:47 AM   #68
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

It runs in the family?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l-sex-him.html

Yes, I know it's the Daily Fail.
Old 28th August 2020, 10:42 AM   #69
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

That's really it here. How many kids killed themselves because he told them what they were was shameful and evil? How many families were torn apart because parents couldn't accept that their kid was LGBTQ? That's why I'm enjoying is downfall so much. If he'd kept his mouth shut on the topic, I really wouldn't care.
Yeah, I've had it up to here -- wherever you imagine my hand is -- with homophobic religion. The dirty secret in Utah is the rate of LGBTQ+ suicide attempts. Suicide is the leading cause of death for Utah teenagers. Demographically we don't have enough data yet to see if sexuality correlates, but the LGBTQ+ outreach people I've heard speak noted a sharp rise in suicide ideation among the youth they serve. It coincided with a shift in Mormon church policy that added penalties for associating with same-sex attraction in any way (such as having same-sex parents). Only now are the numbers starting to come down.

Hence I have very little patience with or sympathy for these hypocrites. If they're going to get rich and famous by preaching a morality they neither agree with nor can achieve, then I say they should be exposed and publicly shamed. It's harmful to others and not something a civilized society should tolerate.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2020, 12:19 PM   #70
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Pretty shameful behavior by Falwell. Obviously failing to live up to the Christian standards he allegedly professes. Not even a good kinkster either, he tried to save his reputation by throwing his wife under the bus by claiming she had an "affair" that he forgave. Trying to paint your consensual cucking as a shameful affair is pretty ****** behavior, if you ask me.

It guess it's a bit funny to know this dude likes to watch his wife get rammed by the pool boy, but the real moral failure is Falwell's total cowardice and hypocrisy.
Is cucking actually against any tenets of the version of Christianity the Falwells presumably espouse (no pun intended)? Technically she's broken one of the Ten Commandments, but if he just watched then he didn't do any adultery. He may have coveted the other guy's ass, though, but that's difficult to prove.
Old 28th August 2020, 01:09 PM   #71
carlitos
"más divertido"

Chauncey Hardener - I like to watch.

Probably partying on a yacht and buying your poolboy a gay hostel are against some tenets of theirs.
Old 29th August 2020, 11:43 AM   #72
marting
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Is cucking actually against any tenets of the version of Christianity the Falwells presumably espouse (no pun intended)? Technically she's broken one of the Ten Commandments, but if he just watched then he didn't do any adultery. He may have coveted the other guy's ass, though, but that's difficult to prove.
Perhaps he was doing God's work by trying to convert the pool boy to the pleasures of heterosexual sex.

Old 3rd September 2020, 09:53 PM   #73
Tassman
Graduate Poster

The pool boy suggested Falwell was doing more than just watching. He said: "Without going into detail, Falwell was ENJOYING himself".
Old 3rd September 2020, 10:00 PM   #74
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
The pool boy suggested Falwell was doing more than just watching. He said: "Without going into detail, Falwell was ENJOYING himself".
Auto-fellatio? Talk about flexibility!
Old 3rd September 2020, 10:33 PM   #75
Tassman
Graduate Poster

Auto-fellatio? Talk about flexibility!
Well with god on your side anything is possible. But I think the pool-boy was suggesting something more in the nature of a five-finger exercise.
Old 3rd September 2020, 10:40 PM   #76
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
Well with god on your side anything is possible. But I think the pool-boy was suggesting something more in the nature of a five-finger exercise.
Piano lessons??
Old 3rd September 2020, 10:52 PM   #77
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I hope that, in support for Falwell, Students at Liberty University hold a publicly broadcast orgy.
It's what Jerry would want.
Old 3rd September 2020, 11:35 PM   #78
Tassman
Graduate Poster

Piano lessons??
Organ lessons.
Old 4th September 2020, 11:28 AM   #79
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Not according to Jesus..

Matthew 5:28 Anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
Old 4th September 2020, 12:20 PM   #80
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Not according to Jesus..

Matthew 5:28 Anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
And Jimmy Carter!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy