ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags stundie awards , stundie nominations

Old 13th December 2007, 10:15 AM   #121
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by defaultdotxbe View Post
oh its better with the hypothetical stuff unsnipped
I know, apparently there's some rule or other though...

Originally Posted by defaultdotxbe View Post
its akin to saying NASA has warp drive and phasers because if some hollywood writer can imagine it surely the brilliant engineers at NASA could too
What appealed to me was the suggestion that it must be a good idea because an idiot though of it.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2007, 10:22 AM   #122
GStan
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
<snip> but when it comes down to it, that whole thread is bascially one big Stundie. <snip>
When I saw this, I couldn't help but wonder, do any truther threads exist that would NOT fit this description? Are there some pro-conspiracy threads that use heavy doses of things like facts, evidence, logic and critical thinking? J.A.Q.
GStan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2007, 10:22 AM   #123
GStan
Graduate Poster

duplicate deleted

Last edited by GStan; 13th December 2007 at 10:24 AM. Reason: dupe post
GStan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2007, 07:38 PM   #124
Halcyon Dayz
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Furi View Post
(How come the B word gets past the swear filter :P )

Must be a British filter.

The B word was only used in the US editions.
The publisher felt that the original was to gratuitous.

Last edited by Halcyon Dayz; 13th December 2007 at 07:39 PM.
Halcyon Dayz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2007, 08:33 PM   #125
AZCat
Graduate Poster

I can't believe no-one has nominated this one yet.

brasil, in response to yet another information-filled R.Mackey post, said the following

Originally Posted by brasil View Post
I want this question answered, and mathematical equations are irrelevant. I want to know in plain english how jet fuel can travel 1000 ft into a basement and instantly "explode."
Apparently mathematics plays no part in science, and all those nasty equations I learned to use pale in comparison to "plain english". I wish I'd known that back then...
AZCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2007, 08:39 PM   #126
tomwaits
Master Poster

Originally Posted by AZCat View Post
I can't believe no-one has nominated this one yet.

brasil, in response to yet another information-filled R.Mackey post, said the following

Apparently mathematics plays no part in science, and all those nasty equations I learned to use pale in comparison to "plain english". I wish I'd known that back then...
How about "BAM! SWOOOOSH! CRRAAAAAAASSHHH!"
tomwaits is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2007, 08:43 PM   #127
AZCat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by tomwaits View Post
How about "BAM! SWOOOOSH! CRRAAAAAAASSHHH!"
Hmmm; might work.

Either that, or we could build a model out of chicken wire and set it on fire. That seems to convince most truthers.
AZCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2007, 01:05 PM   #128
Belz...
Fiend God

Oh, hell.

Originally Posted by brasil View Post
I'm so tired of hearing the "debunking" camp in this debate always asking for "evidence,"
Yeah, he would.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2007, 02:19 PM   #129
stateofgrace

I would like to nominate a combination. To truly appreciate these statements from Brazil they can be found here.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...=100870&page=5

Quote:
Only 2,800 killed when it could have been what, 50,000? 60,000? They were still on their way to work. How convenient.
Quote:
How could they leave out that all-important detail of killing as many Americans as possible?!?!?
Quote:
How kind of these bloodthirsty Arab dogs to hit the buildings when hardly anyone had shown up, just in time to make it an all-day news event.

Quote:
Hardly any casualties compared to what it could have been.
Quote:
If I was a bloodthirsty Arab terrorist who really wanted to kill as many Americans as possible, I would've crashed the second plane into the Indian Point nuclear power station.

Quote:
Those Arabs showed amazing mercy and restraint on us.
Quote:
By the way, I know a lot about explosives.
Indeed brazil, and finally

Quote:
Stop trying to make me out as "dumb" by putting words into my mouth. You're not showing much intelligence by doing so.
stateofgrace is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2007, 02:29 PM   #130
Cuddles
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GStan View Post
When I saw this, I couldn't help but wonder, do any truther threads exist that would NOT fit this description? Are there some pro-conspiracy threads that use heavy doses of things like facts, evidence, logic and critical thinking? J.A.Q.
Any fool can fail to use evidence and logic, it takes a really special person to aspire to a Stundie.
Cuddles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2007, 02:31 PM   #131
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

Any fool can fail to use evidence and logic, it takes a really special person to aspire to a Stundie.
Or,

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of stundie-worthiness"
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2007, 03:09 PM   #132
defaultdotxbe
Drunken Shikigami

plus they keep raiding the bar on us, stundie himself would have a tough run against some of these recent quotes
Old 14th December 2007, 05:34 PM   #133
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Here's a beautiful bit of self-unawareness:

Originally Posted by Miragememories View Post
Quite understandable stateofgrace.

I appreciate your position.

How does one change their mind without losing face after staunchly supporting a single point of view for years?

It's quite alright, you are expected to maintain your opinion even if those responsible for 9/11 confess to their crimes.

MM

As our new member soylent pointed out:

Originally Posted by soylent View Post
Ironically, they did and you are.
Old 14th December 2007, 05:39 PM   #134
defaultdotxbe
Drunken Shikigami

i think i know who im voting for in the finals
Old 14th December 2007, 08:15 PM   #135
AZCat
Graduate Poster

At the suggestion of Slayhamlet I present to you, straight from the JREF forums, the contendah!

Originally Posted by thewholesoul View Post
It is not circular reasoning because it is not circular reasoning!!
Old 14th December 2007, 08:18 PM   #136
JamesB
Master Poster

I hereby nominate Richard Gage, AIA

Quote:
Gage: NIST, of course, is at fault, chiefly for stopping their entire $20 million 3 year investigation at the instant of aircraft impact into the building, uhh, before the structural behavior of the building, uhh, showed uhh, it's uhh collapse.
I said lots of things in NPH that I would not say today and that I did not repeat in NPHR, where I specifically corrected at least some of the errors I had made in that earlier book, written 5 years ago.
-David Ray Griffin-
JamesB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2007, 08:21 PM   #137
AZCat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
Wow, just - wow.
Old 14th December 2007, 08:26 PM   #138
Slayhamlet
Master Poster

Good God. I can't believe Richard Gage has any credibility with anyone anymore, even Truthers. When that man speaks he exhibits a spectacular level up stupidity.
Slayhamlet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2007, 08:36 PM   #139
eromitlab
Muse

I think I found this video a few months ago through reddit. It was posted at the end of July, but a forum search didn't show anything for a certain set of fairly unique keywords that would set it apart from the others. It's such a whopper, though, that it merits consideration. Apologies in advance if it's already been covered and I'm rehashing old tr00ther stupidity.

As posted by DStyle86 on Youtube, CAPSLOCK intact, posting a summary of a ten-minute video from pumpitout on Building 7 with the usual distortions and disinfo regarding that...

Quote:
IT DOES NOT MATTER WHETHER "TO PULL A BUILDING" MEANS TO PULL IT WITH STEEL CABLES DOWN OR TO KNOCK IT DOWN WITH EXPLOSIVES. THE POINT IS THAT IT IS A DEMOLITION-TERM WHICH POPULIST MECHANICS DENIED!
eromitlab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2007, 08:36 PM   #140
OldTigerCub
Striped Shapeshifting Reptoid

Quote:
Gage: NIST, of course, is at fault, chiefly for stopping their entire $20 million 3 year investigation at the instant of aircraft impact into the building, uhh, before the structural behavior of the building, uhh, showed uhh, it's uhh collapse.
Like Steve Martin said, "Some people have a way with words. Others...well...um...don't have way!"
Old 14th December 2007, 09:32 PM   #141
Mobyseven
Philosopher

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Or,

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of stundie-worthiness"
Stealing that line for my sig! Muchos gracias!
Mobyseven is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2007, 04:29 AM   #142
HENTAI DOUKYUSEI JP
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by 1337m4n View Post
Microsoft is in on it! OH SHI-
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
So after the illuminati have killed off the %80, who'll be around to clean out the septic tanks and pick up our garbage? The show Dirty Jobs will have to go off the air.

Steve S
I know a "mr" Rodriguez who is an expert with toilets.
HENTAI DOUKYUSEI JP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2007, 04:32 AM   #143
HENTAI DOUKYUSEI JP
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Mobyseven View Post
Stealing that line for my sig! Muchas gracias!
fixed it for u.
HENTAI DOUKYUSEI JP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2007, 04:55 AM   #144
qarnos
Cold-hearted skeptic

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I View Post
Not exactly a nomination, just another quote to prove that the above from Zlaya is in the right place [bolding mine]:

Do you think...? Could it be...?
Does that mean Zlaya is disqualified?
Old 15th December 2007, 07:25 AM   #145
blobru
Philosopher

Hashing over the no planes theorem at nineeleven_uk --

Originally Posted by Stephen
Originally Posted by telecasterisation
Quote:
You would ONLY see an aircraft if you were in a position do so.
Wrong!

Quote:
Quote:
You would ONLY see the explosion if you were on the blind side of the building/s, the aircraft obstructed by the building/s.
Wrong!

There would be a great many people in a position to see NO PLANES.

Well, I was 4000 miles away... that makes me an eye-witness!

"Never mind. I can't read." -- Hokulele to the Easter Bunny

Last edited by blobru; 15th December 2007 at 07:35 AM.
blobru is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2007, 08:00 AM   #146
Totovader
Game Warden

I have to nominate MirageMemories for his amazing stundie:

On persuading Twoofers:
Originally Posted by Miragememories View Post
The real problem is you can't walk into a church and expect to get very far preaching an opposing religion.

MM

From here

He did not seem the least bit reserved about comparing conspiracism to religion...

Totovader's 9/11 Conspiracy Challenge Still unanswered!
Totovader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2007, 10:27 AM   #147
Dr Adequate
Banned

And suddenly our very own pomeroo takes an unhealthy interest in John Loftus.

Originally Posted by pomeroo View Post
Nope, you're lying again. I don't tell lies ... I assumed that, as a lefty, you worshiped Bubba ... The rest of my comments were, of course, completely correct ... No, you're wrong, as usual ... No, you're lying. Really lying, that is--not the bogus accusations of lying my dull-witted and desperate opponents hurl when they've been soundly drubbed ... Why should anyone read discredited rubbish that panders to the loony-left? There's a reason why this drivel was ignored everywhere except the fever swamps of the net ... But you received a failing grade for your vacuous answer ... You have quite an obsession with impugning your opponent's honesty. Perhaps you should get more exercise.

Last edited by Dr Adequate; 15th December 2007 at 10:29 AM.
Dr Adequate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2007, 10:53 AM   #148
Wildy
Adelaidean

Here is one from Myspace (bottom of page).

Unity on providing evidence and question dodging:

Quote:
"proof" ?...LOLz...

Yeah -like your "proof"?

This isn't a court or a laboratory , dip[bleep].

Until even ONE of us can SEE,touch and analyze the evidence (which has been destroyed or buried) in the presence of professional investigators -not ONE of us is authoritative... if you haven't grasped that yet than what are you doing here other than propagandizing?

Grow the [bleep] up.
(stupid membership agreement)
Old 15th December 2007, 12:34 PM   #149
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Dr Adequate View Post
And suddenly our very own pomeroo takes an unhealthy interest in John Loftus.

Can we link to this thread the next time some CTist accuses of of all thinking the same?
Old 15th December 2007, 03:18 PM   #150
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™

December is certainly shaping up to be a stellar month for the Stundies.
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2007, 08:42 PM   #151
OldTigerCub

If you can't see it, it isn't there!

A commenter at 911blogger seems to believe that when the tops of the collapsing towers start to disintegrate and are obscurred by the dust clouds, they cease to exist:

Quote:
Point 1 of NIST on the gravitational energy allegedly being sufficient to cause collapse AGAIN DOES NOT take into account the core columns. Furthermore, the block of floors above the collapses clearly disintegrates in all available video evidence before it can have much impact on the lower floors.
Old 15th December 2007, 10:28 PM   #152
NickUK
Critical Thinker

Can I nominate a post from the LC group on Facebook? I can? Great!

Facebook Lady shows how easy it is to confuse different towers on different continents with different states of existence when you're following the truth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facebook Lady
I didn't say that the same thing should happen to a concrete wall as to a steel wall. In fact, I'd agree that there would be very different results. However, the Twin Towers were constructed largely of reinforced concrete. Like most buildings, steel was used to support the structure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petronas_Twin_Towers Under "History" it says what the buildings were made of, if you want to read it for yourself.
Originally Posted by Facebook Blokey 1
What does the Twin Towers have to do with the WTC? They were two completely different designs which used two completely typed of construction. The WTC was completely built as a steel building.
Originally Posted by Facebook Blokey 2
The Petronas Twin Towers in Malaysia are built from reinforced concrete. That is the subject of your wikipedia link.

The WTC Towers in New York City were built from steel.
Originally Posted by Facebook Lady
What part of "constructed largely of reinforced concrete" don't you understand? Obviously the twin towers were NOT "completely built as a steel building" if the primary material was concrete. Furthermore, the transportation of any material through the city would be a problem--100's of steel trucks vs. 100's of concrete trucks is still 100s of trucks.

Overall, my point is that 3 planes crashed into reinforced concrete builidngs on 9/11. What differences caused Flight 77 to disintegrate?
She does eventually admit her mistake though - does this disqualify it from Tha Stunds?

Link (requires Facebook login)

"that is a popular misconception or LIE...not saying you are lying, just saying that is not true..."
NickUK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2007, 11:26 PM   #153
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

Originally Posted by NickUK View Post

Facebook Lady shows how easy it is to confuse different towers on different continents with different states of existence when you're following the truth!
Holy hell. That's one of the worst ever. I predict this will win for December.

What's the Harm?........Stop Sylvia Browne........My 9/11 links
Gravy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2007, 11:37 PM   #154
OldTigerCub

Concrete...steel...what's the difference? Malaysia..New York...Tall buildings are all the same...
Forgive me but: again...I agree with Gravy...we may have a winner.
Old 16th December 2007, 12:31 AM   #155
NickUK
Critical Thinker

In that case I'll put some screencaps up later for none-facebookers! I know M7 can be a right stickler for the rules and I'd hate to blow my big chance!

EDIT: Screenie - edited for privacy

"that is a popular misconception or LIE...not saying you are lying, just saying that is not true..."

Last edited by NickUK; 16th December 2007 at 12:54 AM. Reason: added cap
NickUK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2007, 12:35 AM   #156
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Holy mother of God...

Quote:
She does eventually admit her mistake though - does this disqualify it from Tha Stunds?

Geez, I don't know... I mean, even her, "You're right, my mistake," shows more integrity than most truthers, but to be mistaken about such a thing in the first place? I don't know if that can be overcome by a simple admission of the mistake.

Wow...

Last edited by Cl1mh4224rd; 16th December 2007 at 12:37 AM.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2007, 02:51 AM   #157
eromitlab
Muse

Got another one

Got into a nice flamewar a few days ago with a particularly ignorant idiot/tr00ther/anti-Zionist bigot/conspiracy wacko/Ron Paul supporter on reddit named conspiracy_theorist. The topic at hand, a submitted link to a 48-minute Christopher Bollyn speech on Google Video, titled "All three companys in charge of airport security on 911 were Israeli owned." Here's a link to the comment thread in question. There are a few potential nominees in this exchange, included for context, but I've highlighted the two parts, from consecutive posts no less, that I'd like to nominate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eromitlab
...and?
Originally Posted by conspiracy_theorist
And why were Mossad agents all over NYC on 911 with vans filled with explosives?
Do you have any proof of this?
youtube "5 dancing Israelis", or read this:

http://911review.org/Wget/www.world-.../163_0_15_0_M/
I asked for proof, not nutjob conspiracy talking points on a CT website.
That is proof. You can't refute those facts. It was reported all over fox news also, you buffoon. Google 5 dancing israelis, you dissociated contard.
That is not proof. You can't just tell someone your facts can't be refuted. And then, of course, you resort to insults. Whassamatta, out of talking points?
You're obviously an ignorant Israeli zionist. You use the same b.s. tactics. I provide evidence, you say you want conclusive proof. Did you even youtube "5 dancing Israelis"? They admitted they had advanced knowledge of 911 and were filming it. Stop wasting my time, you stinking zionist.
eromitlab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2007, 03:07 AM   #158
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eromitlab View Post
Got into a nice flamewar a few days ago with a particularly ignorant idiot/tr00ther/anti-Zionist bigot/conspiracy wacko/Ron Paul supporter on reddit named conspiracy_theorist. The topic at hand, a submitted link to a 48-minute Christopher Bollyn speech on Google Video, titled "All three companys in charge of airport security on 911 were Israeli owned." Here's a link to the comment thread in question. There are a few potential nominees in this exchange, included for context, but I've highlighted the two parts, from consecutive posts no less, that I'd like to nominate.
I'm not sure how that page works but after I click "Continue Thread" a few time he seems to be "yelling" at himself.
Old 16th December 2007, 08:28 AM   #159
Mobyseven
Philosopher

In that case I'll put some screencaps up later for none-facebookers! I know M7 can be a right stickler for the rules and I'd hate to blow my big chance!
You're damn right. I rule this place with a big stick and a propensity to use it.

AND I FORBID YOU ALL TO READ THE SPOILER!

That is how you use the word 'propensity', right? Gaw, I'm just a cuddly teddy bear looking for acceptance deep down, doncha know?
Mobyseven is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2007, 02:02 PM   #160
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

who flew flight 77? this false answer would be a Pulitzer Prize, if true.

A new expert on 9/11, who seems to be in the p4t camp of expertise.
A simple question is answered quickly and daftly.

Who flew flight 77 into the Pentagon on 9/11?
Originally Posted by Zlaya View Post
Dick Chaney with a remote controller?

Last edited by beachnut; 16th December 2007 at 02:27 PM.
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories