ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 22nd October 2017, 04:10 PM   #41
JohnG
Pedantic Bore

Originally Posted by Tony Szamboti View Post
I am doing a study of people who use the terms toofer, troofer, or twoofer relative to those who question the events of 911.

If you do use those terms it would be interesting if you could just post your age, education level, and place of residence.

Small world! I'm doing a study of people who passive-aggressively pretend to do fatuous studies on pointless subjects in a desperate bid for attention. Alas, I can't participate in your study because I've never used the terms "toofer", "troofer", or "twoofer". In fact I've often criticized others here for using such infantile epithets. When it comes to attaching a label to those who question the events of 911, I much prefer the term "Wrongy McCrazypants".

Now onto my questions for you! Please post the following about yourself:
1. Your place of residence (be specific)
2. Where do you hide your spare key (be very specific)
3. If you own a dog, is he mean and how much does he weigh (ballpark estimate)
4. If you don't own a dog, are there any cats I should be worried about (ballpark)
5. Your favorite ballpark (hockey rink)

Thanks in advance!

Warmest,
JohnG
Old 22nd October 2017, 04:56 PM   #42
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Georgio View Post
But looking at your avatar, surely you work at the Overlook Hotel? And you've always been there...
I beg to differ. You are the caretaker of the Overlook Hotel. You've always been the caretaker. I know, because I've always been here.

Last edited by John Jones; 22nd October 2017 at 04:59 PM.
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2017, 01:20 AM   #43
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Actually, I have a couple of interesting questions to ask about this "study".

First:

I am doing a study of people who use the terms toofer, troofer, or twoofer relative to those who question the events of 911.
The term "twoofer," as far as I'm aware, is a neologism formed as a portmanteau of "truther," a term by which those who believe 9/11 was orchestrated by some kind of US or Israeli government conspiracy have themselves chosen to self-identify, and "woo," a pejorative term for unevidenced beliefs. Clearly the terms "troofer" and "toofer" cannot have the same etymology, and the latter I suspect to be a malamanteau. The latter two, however, I have yet to encounter in any discussion of 9/11, and due to their linguistic incompetence I suspect nobody has actually used them. Does the 9/11 conspiracist community have such a need to feel itself victimized that it needs to invent additional insults so it can pretend to have been subjected to them?

Second:

If you do use those terms it would be interesting if you could just post your age, education level, and place of residence.
Since the person conducting this "study" is known to be of the opinion, if not the strongly committed belief, that all those who disagree with him are paid agents of a criminal conspiracy who are deliberately attempting to obscure the truth, what possible value would self-reported information be coming from such a group of people? What form of verification is proposed, and would this take the OP's usual approach of (1) declaring any evidence contrary to his preferred theory to be fake, and (2) declaring neutral evidence to contain information visible only to him and indiscernible by anyone else?

In short, how does Tony plan to adjust whatever responses he receives in order to conclude that everyone disagreeing with him is a teenaged high school dropout with an IQ below 85, having already determined that to be the result?

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2017, 02:09 AM   #44
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
How much funding will Tony need to complete this study, and when can we expect to see the results?
Old 23rd October 2017, 04:16 AM   #45
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
How much funding will Tony need to complete this study, and when can we expect to see the results?
Good point. There may be another project that's failing to meet any of its objectives that could maybe re-direct some or all of its funds to achieve the rather more modest aims of this one.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2017, 04:36 AM   #46
Crazy Chainsaw
Illuminator

First you have to know the History of the Terms, and what they represent.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2017, 05:07 AM   #47
Whip
Muse

seems like a call out thread by someone whose fee fees are hurt.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2017, 05:13 AM   #48
Crazy Chainsaw
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Actually, I have a couple of interesting questions to ask about this "study".

First:

The term "twoofer," as far as I'm aware, is a neologism formed as a portmanteau of "truther," a term by which those who believe 9/11 was orchestrated by some kind of US or Israeli government conspiracy have themselves chosen to self-identify, and "woo," a pejorative term for unevidenced beliefs. Clearly the terms "troofer" and "toofer" cannot have the same etymology, and the latter I suspect to be a malamanteau. The latter two, however, I have yet to encounter in any discussion of 9/11, and due to their linguistic incompetence I suspect nobody has actually used them. Does the 9/11 conspiracist community have such a need to feel itself victimized that it needs to invent additional insults so it can pretend to have been subjected to them?

Second:

Since the person conducting this "study" is known to be of the opinion, if not the strongly committed belief, that all those who disagree with him are paid agents of a criminal conspiracy who are deliberately attempting to obscure the truth, what possible value would self-reported information be coming from such a group of people? What form of verification is proposed, and would this take the OP's usual approach of (1) declaring any evidence contrary to his preferred theory to be fake, and (2) declaring neutral evidence to contain information visible only to him and indiscernible by anyone else?

In short, how does Tony plan to adjust whatever responses he receives in order to conclude that everyone disagreeing with him is a teenaged high school dropout with an IQ below 85, having already determined that to be the result?

Dave
Actually Troofer is a hit and run troll with no real knowledge or relevant content, basicly a replaced now by bots.
Twoofer the woo comes from Woof a sound made by a Lying dog, it was developed to tell the difference between a Truther, or Truth Seeker, someone actually asking Intellectually true Questions, and someone making up deliberate lies, like Steven E. Jones, Richard Gage, and Johnathan Cole.
Tony Also forgot the first generation word Thoofer, basicly a hooved animal Lying from quick bacon comes from.
It basicly represents a fat Lying pig Using 9/11/2001, to make a profit of of the 9/11/2001_Terrorist Attacks, AKA Alex Jones.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2017, 05:37 AM   #49
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

As others have said, exactly the same is true of things like 'sheeple' and 'shill' from the other side. Useless, cheerleading crap.

Well, it's use is not "exactly" the same.

"Twoofer" and its variations was a response to the self-applied "Truther" label that Truthers themselves came up with. There are various etymologies of the terms as seen above, but the impetus for their creation was a general loathing to apply the word "truth" in any form to a group of people who were so obviously not interested in actual truth.

In contrast to this, terms such as "sheeple" and "shill" were created by the CTists, and deliberately applied to those who questioned their beliefs, solely for the purpose of discrediting their critics. Although some of us later adopted these terms as a sarcastic reference to ourselves*, we were not the ones who invented these terms, and demanded that they be applied to us, in any form.

So if someone is going to conduct a study of who is more likely to use childish epithets, it is humbly suggested that they include a history of the terms, and how they ended up being applied to the people in question.

That is, if they're really interested in the truth, and are not just being a partisan hack.

*Not unlike the Trump supporters who decided to co-opt Hillary's "Deplorables" label, just not quite so deplorable
Old 23rd October 2017, 05:42 AM   #50
Crazy Chainsaw
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
We already know the results 9/11 truth victoms of own Stupidity.
Old 23rd October 2017, 06:51 AM   #51
heymatto70
Scholar

I'm 30, getting an EdD and totally live at 1060 W Addison St in Chicago, IL.
heymatto70 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2017, 10:37 AM   #52
Georgio
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
I beg to differ. You are the caretaker of the Overlook Hotel. You've always been the caretaker. I know, because I've always been here.
It's a great avatar by the way. I'm not sure why, but more than any other scene in the film that one always really gives me the creeps.
Old 23rd October 2017, 10:45 AM   #53
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by heymatto70 View Post
Be careful the Illinois Nazis don't find you there!

I used to listen to rock radio on "twofer Tuesday," and I have a Master's Degree.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2017, 11:42 AM   #54
NoahFence
Suspended

I use 'gullible fool' quite a bit. Can I be in your twoofer study?
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2017, 11:45 AM   #55
NoahFence
Suspended

What, T-dawg? No follow up post?

C'mon man.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2017, 12:17 PM   #56
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

It's a great avatar by the way. I'm not sure why, but more than any other scene in the film that one always really gives me the creeps.
I know what you mean. Really creepy.
Old 23rd October 2017, 12:20 PM   #57
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
I use 'gullible fool' quite a bit. Can I be in your twoofer study?
I'm partial to 'pathologically credulous' myself.
Old 23rd October 2017, 01:33 PM   #58
smartcooky
Philosopher

Hah! Thats funny.

Do you have the darker, sweeter mustard on your breakfast hotdogs, or the yellower, hotter one?
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2017, 09:12 PM   #59
Jimmy9
Scholar

Ok, let me be the first to admit Ive used those terms many, many times.
I even called them toofers (one tooth). Yes, I am that childish.
Anyways, Im old, uneducated and live at my pops house.
Anymore questions?

Until they become conscious, they will never rebel.
Jimmy9 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 12:59 AM   #60
BadBoy
Graduate Poster

Never used those words. I think probably "Idiot" and "*******". I have probably applied the Dunning Kruger label to conspiracy theorists before now.

52, MSc in Computer Science, Western Australia.
Old 24th October 2017, 01:04 AM   #61
BadBoy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Jimmy9 View Post
Ok, let me be the first to admit Ive used those terms many, many times.
I even called them toofers (one tooth). Yes, I am that childish.
Anyways, Im old, uneducated and live at my pops house.
Anymore questions?
Ahaaaaaa, ahaaa, hmm. Tony definitely weeded you out with his very clever questions.
Old 24th October 2017, 01:32 AM   #62
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

I myself enjoy a two-fer-one special especially at our local discount junk shop franchise; called amusingly enough, the reject shop. ( Its real I promise.) But they are sadly going out of business.

Anyway, aside from that I never use the term. As for your other questions, the answers are none of your goddamn business. Put that in your survey and smoke it.
Hungry81 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 02:02 AM   #63
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Hah! Thats funny.

Do you have the darker, sweeter mustard on your breakfast hotdogs, or the yellower, hotter one?
Darker, sweeter on the breakfast sausages. Take your pick wrt vienna sausages.

Last edited by John Jones; 24th October 2017 at 02:04 AM.
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 02:05 AM   #64
Dave Rogers

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
As for your other questions, the answers are none of your goddamn business. Put that in your survey and smoke it.
While I too am reluctant to disclose personal details, I can reveal for the purposes of the survey that I am currently drinking a large cappuccino.

Dave

Old 24th October 2017, 02:10 AM   #65
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe it's too archaic, but I'm still hot for Lil Abner and the Dogpatch bunch.
Old 24th October 2017, 08:18 AM   #66
grandmastershek
Graduate Poster

Funny how it's phrased given that truthers use terms like: shill, agent, gatekeeper, debunktard, etc.

39, NJ, MSEd
Old 24th October 2017, 08:40 AM   #67
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Must be lonely this week.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 09:00 AM   #68
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

I thought this didn't apply to me until a search revealed that once, four years ago, I used the term "troofer".

Early '50s, BSc Eng(electronics & electrical), UK.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 09:23 AM   #69
heymatto70
Scholar

Actually, as a confessed hater of all things related to the cubs, I'm ecstatic about that.
heymatto70 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 09:25 AM   #70
NoahFence
Suspended

Why hasn't our chew toy come back?
Old 24th October 2017, 09:30 AM   #71
Dave Rogers

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
I thought this didn't apply to me until a search revealed that once, four years ago, I used the term "troofer".
Same here, I've just discovered; I've used the term "twoofer" once in a pejorative sense, once in a deliberately ironic, comedic and parodic post, and a couple of times in discussion of the usage of the term. So I'll happily pass on all the personal information that I'm happy for Tony to have, which is that I've finished that large cappuccino now.

Dave

Old 24th October 2017, 09:48 AM   #72
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Searching for user "Oystein" and keyword "Twoof", I have 117 hits in this subforum! About 10 of those in 20176 alone.
I used "Twoofer" only 51 times.

So, here is my data:
Qualifications: BA in fact-finding from Google college, MS in fact-checking from U of Wikipedia, and years of post-graduate work in using brain.
Old 24th October 2017, 09:51 AM   #73
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Hmm. I probably have, although I can't recall.

43, AAS in CST, BS in IT, 17 years military (medic, combat engineer, and computer analyst)

Last edited by Hellbound; 24th October 2017 at 09:52 AM.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 10:47 AM   #74
CORed
Philosopher

I'm not sure if I fit the criteria of your "study" as I generally prefer the terms "conspiritard" or "*********** idiot" to those that you cited, but.
I'm software developer with BS in Biology and I live in Central City, CO.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 11:24 AM   #75
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Why hasn't our chew toy come back?
Does the term "drive-by" mean nothing to you?
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 12:32 PM   #76
pgimeno
Illuminator

I played the search game, to be sure, as my memory isn't that good.

Zero results for "toofer" (now I've just increased my count).

One result for "troofer". It appeared in a quote, not my words.

Two results for "twoofer". Both were to speak about the word itself, and in one of them the word was in a quote.
Old 24th October 2017, 01:17 PM   #77
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
56/University Degree/U.S.A...

...but I don't qualify. I have a lisp and say, "Thwoother."
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 03:25 PM   #78
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

I'm going on my memory alone. Frankly, I couldn't care less if I said these words or not...........

Tony can be proud, this is the most attention the "truth" movement has had in years......

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41

Last edited by DGM; 24th October 2017 at 03:32 PM.
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 04:23 PM   #79
Georgio
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
About 10 of those in 20176 alone.
I knew you were from the future! Have we got hoverboards yet? And if not, why not?!
Old 24th October 2017, 08:53 PM   #80
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Master's (MLS), Teacher (certified in and taught four science courses, TV/media production/media specialist. Hid some of my classes to avoid having to teach those subjects, Florida, 72, Call them troofers/truthers and ******** depending on the first which processes through my brain in reference to the fools and tools!!!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories