IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 27th February 2020, 10:25 PM   #81
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
In December 2018 the Dow hit 22445. This was a drop of from 25538 in November 2018 (so a drop of ~3000 points).

Currently, stock prices sit at 25752, so they still have a ways to go to reach that level. But, they've already dropped ~3000 points this week... if next week follows the same patter, they could easily match that level.
With -250 already built in for tomorrow's opening - and I'd say it will be more than that - it won't be long before 20,000 is a memory, never mind 22,000.
Old 28th February 2020, 12:39 AM   #82
Samson
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Few dead cats in the futures market.

Silly people, they'll get crushed.
I think tonite for a bounce that will fail and go lower than a limbo chick into the weekend close.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 01:15 AM   #83
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
My Carnival Cruise Line stock has really dropped a lot this week. Fortunately I didn't have a lot of it.
Funeral companies are doing well.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 01:41 AM   #84
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
I think tonite for a bounce that will fail and go lower than a limbo chick into the weekend close.
Nope, it's like the turtles, mate - down all the way.

Futures are -120, so a few dead cats trying to put in an appearance, but I think there's too much selling pressure.

Even gold's down another $5, and oil isn't even getting out of bed.

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Funeral companies are doing well.
They will do great, but very few of them are listed companies.
Old 28th February 2020, 02:22 AM   #85
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

45 minutes later and futs are now down 440.

More blood on the floor tomorrow.

How low will it be when cases are in the millions?

Coming soon to a planet near you.
Old 28th February 2020, 02:40 AM   #86
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

20 minutes later, they're down 635.

This brings back memories of '87, when the floor just kept dropping. Every time you think a low's been reached, it drops another 500.

Uuuuugly stuff.

(Unless you're in TVIX, which just cruised to $120.)
Old 28th February 2020, 02:58 AM   #87
a_unique_person

What's with this black swan thing anyway. They are very common.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 03:06 AM   #88
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

This brings back memories of '87, when the floor just kept dropping. Every time you think a low's been reached, it drops another 500.

Uuuuugly stuff.

Good call on TVIX and in particular a good call on the exit approach which has meant that anyone who followed your advice is guaranteed profit.

Assuming that the 15%+ drop in the markets is reflected in the mutual funds we hold - and it likely is - then Mrs Don and I are looking at a paper loss of around £200k - £250k over the last week. It would have been a ballsy call to buy enough TVIX to fully hedge that loss.

Then again, that loss is just a paper loss against the highest MTM. Our average purchase price over the last 30 years is considerably lower than that. The hope and expectation is that, as we're continuing to invest in the market, this correction offers good value. Then again if this isn't merely a correction but is instead the start of a revaluation which will result in prices ending up at 10% or less of their value a week ago then that's an entirely different matter and our retirement plans are in pieces.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 03:28 AM   #89
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Good call on TVIX and in particular a good call on the exit approach which has meant that anyone who followed your advice is guaranteed profit.
It shows that TA works as long as TA is short for The Atheist.
Old 28th February 2020, 04:37 AM   #90
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

45 minutes later and futs are now down 440.

More blood on the floor tomorrow.

How low will it be when cases are in the millions?

Coming soon to a planet near you.
It's difficult to read tone online, so I'll ask: do you intend to sound gleeful at the prospect of both economic and viral disaster?
Old 28th February 2020, 05:19 AM   #91
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Uuuuugly stuff.

Good analogy.

And people who held their shares made a lot of money by 1988.

I don't know that that will happen this year. Stocks, at least some of them, were pverpriced, so they might not come back to last week's level for years. However, I predict that they will go way down, perhaps even as far as The Atheist is predicting, and then they will come way back up, at least close to where they are now.

Should you buy or sell today? I can't answer that. What I'm pretty sure of is that Amazon will be making a lot of money five years from now, whether or not they make a lot of money five months from now.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 06:16 AM   #92
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
It's difficult to read tone online, so I'll ask: do you intend to sound gleeful at the prospect of both economic and viral TRUMP disaster?
FTFY
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 07:40 AM   #93
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

And the Dow is already off about 500 today. Good thing I've got everything in the Under Shemp's Mattress Fund!
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 09:49 AM   #94
marting
Graduate Poster

And then the not-so-clueless from
https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-gl...213d28824.html

"This will eventually end badly. I have never in my career seen anything as crazy as what’s going on right now," Scott Minerd, global CIO of Guggenheim Investments, writes in a note. "The cognitive dissonance in the credit market is stunning."

From Feb 13 when markets were flying high but blind as a bat.

https://www.guggenheiminvestments.co...global-economy
Old 28th February 2020, 09:56 AM   #95
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Then again, that loss is just a paper loss against the highest MTM. Our average purchase price over the last 30 years is considerably lower than that. The hope and expectation is that, as we're continuing to invest in the market, this correction offers good value. Then again if this isn't merely a correction but is instead the start of a revaluation which will result in prices ending up at 10% or less of their value a week ago then that's an entirely different matter and our retirement plans are in pieces.
I'd certainly be holding off until the market finds the bottom - I think it has a long way to go yet.

I'm sticking by my statement that this will be the greatest economic shock since 1929.

What does surprise me is the commodity crash. Gold's off $50 today and I can't find anything in the black. Even Bitcoin has dropped like a stone.

It's difficult to read tone online, so I'll ask: do you intend to sound gleeful at the prospect of both economic and viral disaster?
No.
Old 28th February 2020, 10:16 AM   #96
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Dow down 700 and still going...
Old 28th February 2020, 10:27 AM   #97
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Mondays can be very black. What is the allowable freefall limit before the market gets shut down?
Old 28th February 2020, 11:13 AM   #98
marting
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Mondays can be very black. What is the allowable freefall limit before the market gets shut down?

Various short term percentages from 7% to 20% of the SP500. 20% shuts down for the rest of the day. That would be about 5000 Dow. Currently.

Click bait media has been harping on the "Largest Dow drop in History" but that's in point terms. What counts are percentages.
Old 28th February 2020, 12:58 PM   #99
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

God must love me. I was actually cashing some things out to pay for upcoming dental work, and sold my Disney stock last week when it was at 140. Today it's at 118.
I had similar good luck, but my wife gets credit.

We sold some property at the end of last year and have way more cash than usual in our savings account. I wanted to put it in the market, but we will likely be spending most of it on other real estate over the next three years, so she wanted to keep it as cash.

So, as the rest of our portfolio is likely crashing (I don't dare look) that chunk is safe and sound earning almost no interest.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 01:28 PM   #100
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I had similar good luck, but my wife gets credit.

We sold some property at the end of last year and have way more cash than usual in our savings account. I wanted to put it in the market, but we will likely be spending most of it on other real estate over the next three years, so she wanted to keep it as cash.

So, as the rest of our portfolio is likely crashing (I don't dare look) that chunk is safe and sound earning almost no interest.
Don't forget Brains Gremlin investment advice in "Gremlins 2":

"I am telling all my clients to invest in Canned Foods and Shotguns".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 01:37 PM   #101
marting
Graduate Poster

My expectation is that most non-cash assets will drop a lot as social distancing cuts in. Exceptions are cash equivs like govt bonds. Corporate bonds are another matter. I expect interest rates on them to push upward. Especially those where corporations have higher ratios of debt to accounts receivables. Shortages will appear. At first this will be mitigated by the strong drop in demand. Many months from now shortages will start to dominate and impact prices and that will put pressure on govt bonds. The debt overhang can't be paid after the economic downturn. Various things can be done. Bail-ins, a tax on cash. They will have to go where the money is and "is" becomes a "was." There will be general debt "restructuring." The Great Recession" of 2009 suggests 5 years on we may call the coming period "The Great Restructuring." And life will go on.
Old 28th February 2020, 02:02 PM   #102
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

And don't expect the markets to turn any time soon - the bleeding market's only just closed and futures are down another 500 already.

In the space of a week, the market has passed through "correction" and is about a day away from bear status.
Old 28th February 2020, 02:28 PM   #103
marting
Graduate Poster

And don't expect the markets to turn any time soon - the bleeding market's only just closed and futures are down another 500 already.
Not just the stock market. I expect home prices to plummet. Especially in Calif. where I live. The state strongly depends on tax income from cap gains (taxed at a high rate and, like other state and property taxes, not deductible federally beyond 10k). And we ramp spending like drunken sailors during boom times. State revenues are going to shrink. A lot and make federal revenue drops look pale. It's going to be ugly.
Old 28th February 2020, 02:40 PM   #104
Meridian
Thinker

Any theories as to why TVIX has fallen back from $120 to just below $100 at/just after close of trading?
Meridian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 02:47 PM   #105
Tippit
Illuminator

Originally Posted by marting View Post
And then the not-so-clueless from
https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-gl...213d28824.html

"This will eventually end badly. I have never in my career seen anything as crazy as what’s going on right now," Scott Minerd, global CIO of Guggenheim Investments, writes in a note. "The cognitive dissonance in the credit market is stunning."

From Feb 13 when markets were flying high but blind as a bat.

https://www.guggenheiminvestments.co...global-economy
For a little more context, Minerd made a bullish call on silver. I've been heavily invested in silver as well as silver shares for a long time, so that was good news to me. But for the last few days, I've been absolutely getting slaughtered. I think there are two reasons for this, one, silver has many industrial applications, and if the global economy is going to fall off of a cliff, it's going to curb that portion of demand for silver. Two, it is the most highly manipulated asset in the world. Here is why:

Ted Butler: The Genius Of JP Morgan, The Profit-Generating Machine

Bear Stearns Déjà vu?

So far Minerd has been dead right about the market, and dead wrong on silver. I'm not sure whether he is aware of the manipulation, or whether he thinks it is going to end sometime soon, but I'm hoping he will be right about that as well.

In case you were wondering why seven of some of the largest banks in the world would manipulate gold and silver, the answer is that they want to condition investors away from investing in any physical, independent store of value as a safe haven, so that they invest in the multi-trillion dollar US Government bond market instead. So far, it's working and they've been highly successful. I'm trying to imagine what the catalyst would be for that to change.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again.”
- Josiah Stamp
Tippit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 02:52 PM   #106
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Not just the stock market. I expect home prices to plummet. Especially in Calif. where I live. The state strongly depends on tax income from cap gains (taxed at a high rate and, like other state and property taxes, not deductible federally beyond 10k). And we ramp spending like drunken sailors during boom times. State revenues are going to shrink. A lot and make federal revenue drops look pale. It's going to be ugly.
Well, that's one way to solve the California housing crisis....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 02:54 PM   #107
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tippit View Post
For a little more context, Minerd made a bullish call on silver. I've been heavily invested in silver as well as silver shares for a long time, so that was good news to me. But for the last few days, I've been absolutely getting slaughtered. I think there are two reasons for this, one, silver has many industrial applications, and if the global economy is going to fall off of a cliff, it's going to curb that portion of demand for silver. Two, it is the most highly manipulated asset in the world. Here is why:

Ted Butler: The Genius Of JP Morgan, The Profit-Generating Machine

Bear Stearns Déjà vu?

So far Minerd has been dead right about the market, and dead wrong on silver. I'm not sure whether he is aware of the manipulation, or whether he thinks it is going to end sometime soon, but I'm hoping he will be right about that as well.

In case you were wondering why seven of some of the largest banks in the world would manipulate gold and silver, the answer is that they want to condition investors away from investing in any physical, independent store of value as a safe haven, so that they invest in the multi-trillion dollar US Government bond market instead. So far, it's working and they've been highly successful. I'm trying to imagine what the catalyst would be for that to change.
I think is it moving ,for some people, away from just maintain their wealth, and more to sheer survival. Sell your stocks, store up on Canned goods, MRE's and firearms.
Or, if you want to invest in stocks, invest in companies making the above items.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 28th February 2020, 02:57 PM   #108
Tippit
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
Any theories as to why TVIX has fallen back from $120 to just below $100 at/just after close of trading?
TIVX is leveraged, and investors might be anticipating a short term top in volatility. There are other leveraged options to capitalize on a bear market, for instance any of the 3x leveraged bear ETFs, like SPXS, the S&P 500 3x leveraged bear fund. You can google for lists of these types of funds, but beware, the risks are commensurate with the rewards.

If you think the market is going straight down, you will probably make more money with the 3x inverse leveraged funds than you will with a VIX fund. If you think there will be a snapback rally OR more downside, the VIX fund might still be appropriate. If you think the market is going to churn at these levels for a while, you probably want to consider selling TIVX. Do your homework.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again.”
- Josiah Stamp

Last edited by Tippit; 28th February 2020 at 03:00 PM.
Tippit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 03:06 PM   #109
a_unique_person

I'm going all in on Bitcoin.
Old 28th February 2020, 03:06 PM   #110
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

At the White House this morning, the WAPO reports the main topic was not controlling the virus but how to prop up the markets. A new Tax Cut was the favorite...…

God, don't they realise that a Good program in place to handle the Corona Virus is the best way to stop the stock market panic?
Usual methods are not going to work this time. Pure fear has taken over.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 28th February 2020, 03:33 PM   #111
marting
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
At the White House this morning, the WAPO reports the main topic was not controlling the virus but how to prop up the markets. A new Tax Cut was the favorite...…
Are you surprised? I'm not.
Old 28th February 2020, 03:45 PM   #112
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Not just the stock market. I expect home prices to plummet. Especially in Calif. where I live.
Yep. I've been having a laugh at our real estate people who've been picking 10% increases this year.

Good luck on that. Maybe 10% decrease.

Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
A bit of upward pressure on futures, added to very thin volume.

Probably a few sensible profit-takers, too.

Already back to $105.

Trading on shut markets is a good way to lose your shirt any time. They can move a mile in an instant because there aren't enough players to soak up the volatility.
Old 28th February 2020, 03:53 PM   #113
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Washington Post now has breaking news of a second mystery origin infected in California. They are saying it looks like it's in the wild now. That may cause a very black Monday.
Old 28th February 2020, 04:19 PM   #114
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

God, with the news of the Santa Clara outbreak, Monday is probably going to be a real bloodbath on Wall Street.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 28th February 2020, 04:20 PM   #115
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Are you surprised? I'm not.
Nope, not surprised at all,just reporting the expected.
That showing he has viable plan to fight the virus would be the single best thing he could do to calm the markets down seems beyond his reach.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 28th February 2020, 09:56 PM   #116
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Nope, not surprised at all,just reporting the expected.
That showing he has viable plan to fight the virus would be the single best thing he could do to calm the markets down seems beyond his reach.
Good point.

On the other hand, without a medicine or vaccine, a viable plan would seem to be to have lots and lots of people stay home. That means they don't make stuff at work. And they don't get paid so they can't buy stuff, at stores that are closed because those people didn't go to work, which probably wouldn't be good for the market.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 11:27 PM   #117
marting
Graduate Poster

Good point.

On the other hand, without a medicine or vaccine, a viable plan would seem to be to have lots and lots of people stay home. That means they don't make stuff at work. And they don't get paid so they can't buy stuff, at stores that are closed because those people didn't go to work, which probably wouldn't be good for the market.
Yeah. That's the real potential problem. And supply chain failures that will start hitting in March. Best outcome is if the thing is caught early enough when it pops up that social distancing (school/work/group shutdowns) are kept relatively local. It will depend a lot on how well surveillance works, what sort of lag occurs between infection and testing, and convincing everyone with any symptoms to stay away from others. One can hope. We have a lot earlier warning than China had.
Old 29th February 2020, 01:07 AM   #118
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Good point.

The tricky part is, when they're too sick to work they won't be making anything anyway, and if the spread isn't slowed, the health systems will implode and kill even more people.

Bit of a devil's alternative, and well past the intellectual abilities of a very large toddler.
Old 29th February 2020, 03:30 AM   #119
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
This seems like betting on people panicking, not on the actual risk itself.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th February 2020, 04:06 AM   #120
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
This seems like betting on people panicking, not on the actual risk itself.
Which, in the age of monetization of media attention and Russian disinformation campaign, is kind of a safe bet to make.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance