ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Kyle Rittenhouse , murder cases

Old 18th November 2020, 11:03 AM   #361
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Lin Wood, one of Rittenhouse's attorneys, seems to be trying to insert himself in the Great Election Fight of 2020. He has filed a lawsuit against the state of Georgia.

If I were facing a lifetime behind bars, I'm not sure I would want some clout-chasing lawyer on my multiple felony case. Wood strikes me as just another grifter trying to insert himself as a hero into whatever right wing grievance story that is hot at the moment.

https://twitter.com/alanfeuer/status...20234066878465
Old 19th November 2020, 11:18 AM   #362
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

It seems he used his stimulus money to finance the straw purchase of the gun.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1749495.html
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2020, 12:27 PM   #363
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
It seems he used his stimulus money to finance the straw purchase of the gun.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1749495.html
I'm very curious about the exact details of when this rifle was bought from the original FFL. Did Rittenhouse's buddy buy it for the sole purpose of giving it to Kyle, or was this a rifle that he bought for his own personal use that he later decided to sell.

Gets a bit trickier as it seems Rittenhouse only occasionally had possession of the rifle, and it was stored at the friend's house. I have no idea whether they would qualify as a straw purchase or not.

ETA: This dude has lawyers and he's giving jailhouse interviews to the Washington Post about his pending multiple felony case. Wonder if his lawyers are incompetent or Rittenhouse is just an unmanageable client. If he had any sense he'd keep his mouth shut until the trial is over.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 19th November 2020 at 12:29 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2020, 01:37 PM   #364
webfusion
Philosopher

"The night of the shooting, Mr Rittenhouse took his weapon from his home across the border in Illinois and brought it to the protest." -- from The Independent article linked.

That is not what happened according to the information provided by Illinois authorities.
webfusion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2020, 02:34 PM   #365
webfusion
Philosopher

Posting bail, Rittenhouse allowed to leave jail.

He might just vanish, a la Abbie Hoffman (aka Barry Freed).
webfusion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2020, 08:02 AM   #366
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

And so the reactionary circus begins. Every right wing ghoul that wants to prove their credibility is going to make a point of hanging out with this murderer while his trial is pending. Given it's a serious case and there are serious delays because of covid, Rittenhouse may be free on bail for some time.
Old 21st November 2020, 08:06 AM   #367
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Rittenhouse's bail was paid for by ... wait for it ... the My Pillow Guy!
Old 21st November 2020, 09:01 AM   #368
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Rittenhouse's bail was paid for by ... wait for it ... the My Pillow Guy!
And Ricky Schroeder from Silver Spoons.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2020, 05:27 PM   #369
webfusion
Philosopher

Ricky Schroder (sp.) is a "right wing ghoul" ? Who knew!
Old 22nd November 2020, 06:00 PM   #370
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty as the cornerstone of American law?

Say all you want about guilt or innocence - being let out on bail is not a declaration of either. It is also a protected right under the US Constitution.

All these truly ignorant armchair lawyers make me want to laugh - but then I realize that they and their obnoxious uninformed hateful invective is what is causing most of the problem in the US society today.

The amount of vitriol and hatred and the lack of respect for the fundamental rights of people on this so-called sceptics board is truly astonishing.

Rights for only those I deem worthy of having rights!
What a circus!

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2020, 06:20 PM   #371
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty as the cornerstone of American law?
Once it becomes political, objectivity goes out the window.
Old 22nd November 2020, 06:48 PM   #372
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Say all you want about guilt or innocence - being let out on bail is not a declaration of either. It is also a protected right under the US Constitution.
Everyone has a right to apply for bail, but they do not have an absolute right to have it granted. Bail can be denied for people who are regarded as too dangerous to be allowed out in public, or for those who present a significant flight risk. It can also be revoked at any time.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 22nd November 2020 at 06:56 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2020, 06:49 PM   #373
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by webfusion View Post
Ricky Schroder (sp.) is a "right wing ghoul" ? Who knew!
I was going to say that I'll never watch "The Champ" again and then remembered that it stars Jon Voight. Some of the crazy must have rubbed off on Ricky. Poor lad.

Jon Voight rails against ‘evil’ Democrats and calls Joe Biden ‘Satan’ in ‘disturbing’ new video
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2020, 07:50 PM   #374
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
I was going to say that I'll never watch "The Champ" again and then remembered that it stars Jon Voight. Some of the crazy must have rubbed off on Ricky. Poor lad.

Jon Voight rails against ‘evil’ Democrats and calls Joe Biden ‘Satan’ in ‘disturbing’ new video
... the “greatest fight since the Civil War”.

Looks like he took his role as Ben Gates' father too seriously!

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 22nd November 2020 at 07:52 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 10:10 AM   #375
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Sure. If we change this persons ethnicity and his political orientation his chances of making bail / amount of bail will wildly vary, and usually for the worse.

So, yes, objectivity does go out the window here, but to the advantage of this specific person.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 11:04 AM   #376
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Everyone has a right to apply for bail, but they do not have an absolute right to have it granted. Bail can be denied for people who are regarded as too dangerous to be allowed out in public, or for those who present a significant flight risk. It can also be revoked at any time.
Who said anything different? I sure didn't.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt

Last edited by rockinkt; 23rd November 2020 at 11:08 AM.
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 11:07 AM   #377
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Which is why most of the comments on this thread do not belong on a sceptic's board.

Old 23rd November 2020, 11:10 AM   #378
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Why does this concept only apply to Rittenhouse and not the people he murdered?

I mean I know why, but I want to hear what excuse you make up that you honestly think we'll buy.
Old 23rd November 2020, 11:20 AM   #379
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Who said anything different? I sure didn't.
Really?

Say all you want about guilt or innocence - being let out on bail is not a declaration of either. It is also a protected right under the US Constitution!

Last edited by smartcooky; 23rd November 2020 at 11:22 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors