IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , joe biden , Kamala Harris

Old 9th November 2020, 08:45 PM   #121
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Let's face it, Biden should be very easy to make fun of. When Reagan was president, he was constantly mocked for his apparent senility. I think it won't be hard to do the same for Biden. That said, I expect that such jokes will be met with a disapproving, "That's ageist!" by the majority of the media.
Eventually they'll get around to it. They always do. Obama was boring as hell to pick on. Biden has a stutter that I'm sure will help them. But no President wrote their monologues for them like Trump. The man said and tweeted lie after lie after lie as well as batcrap lunacy almost every hour. He was comedy and media gold. Biden is not likely to do that.
Old 9th November 2020, 08:47 PM   #122
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Okay, one thing that Trump and his followers believe about much of the media and celebrity world is that they were all against him during his presidency...
They were. And?

...Let's face it, they pretty much were suck-ups to Obama for about eight years, and I think that that behaviour is largely what led to the Trump backlash...

Really? The late comedy shows had so much influence on the populace that they caused Trump?

Let's face it, Biden should be very easy to make fun of. When Reagan was president, he was constantly mocked for his apparent senility. I think it won't be hard to do the same for Biden. That said, I expect that such jokes will be met with a disapproving, "That's ageist!" by the majority of the media.

Uh-huh. And I'm looking forward to a more balanced, thoughtful view from Rush Limbaugh et al. on AM radio.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 08:49 PM   #123
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Eventually they'll get around to it. They always do. Obama was boring as hell to pick on. Biden has a stutter that I'm sure will help them. But no President wrote their monologues for them like Trump. The man said and tweeted lie after lie after lie as well as batcrap lunacy almost every hour. He was comedy and media gold. Biden is not likely to do that.
Colbert even said that Trump is constantly entertaining.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 08:57 PM   #124
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post

Uh-huh. And I'm looking forward to a more balanced, thoughtful view from Rush Limbaugh et al. on AM radio.
Don't worry. He won't be that critical of Biden.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 09:20 PM   #125
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Colbert even said that Trump is constantly entertaining.
And terrifying.
Old 9th November 2020, 09:59 PM   #126
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
I've seen some poke fun at Biden, though obviously not as much as Trump. The trouble is, Trump won't leave and allow us to not miss him.
SNL has Jim Carey playing Biden. It's been fun already.
Old 9th November 2020, 10:28 PM   #127
dirtywick
Master Poster

I think you're wrong about this. SNL will make fun of Biden, but people won't so butthurt when it happens to Biden as they do Trump.
dirtywick is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 11:31 PM   #128
Venom
Illuminator

Okay, one thing that Trump and his followers believe about much of the media and celebrity world is that they were all against him during his presidency.

They were, and with good reason. The guy was an *******. However, now that Trump has gone, I hope all the late night talking heads and CNN and MSNBC etc... are not going to be cheerleaders for Joe Biden and Kamala Harris. It is really cringeworthy to see suck-ups.

Let's face it, they pretty much were suck-ups to Obama for about eight years, and I think that that behaviour is largely what led to the Trump backlash.

The news and the late night "comedians" need to be more savage to all politicians, not display obvious biases.
Most of them aren't that funny anyway. And I agree their soft approach to politicians they like is cringeworthy. Stephen Colbert in particular has really fallen off since he took over in The Late Show.

Few amateurs like j-l cauvin, who is truly funny and tries a bit harder to do an impression rather than just wacky caricatures like SNL has for the last decade at least

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 11:34 PM   #129
dirtywick
Master Poster

that dude is pretty funny
dirtywick is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 11:55 PM   #130
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The Opening Arguments Podcast has identified a way for Biden to nominate his Cabinet even if McConnell refuses to confirm or even debate them.

https://openargs.com/category/podcast/

It's based on the Vacancy Act that Trump used to much, but badly. Done right, it should allow Joe to get his people into the Government Agencies until 2022 when there should be a Democrat Senate.
Old 10th November 2020, 12:34 AM   #131
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Most of them aren't that funny anyway. And I agree their soft approach to politicians they like is cringeworthy. Stephen Colbert in particular has really fallen off since he took over in The Late Show.

Few amateurs like j-l cauvin, who is truly funny and tries a bit harder to do an impression rather than just wacky caricatures like SNL has for the last decade at least

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
The problem is, too many places like SNL simply don't do parody very well. J-L (who I wouldn't call an amateur really, but that's a side issue) more or less gets Dolt 45 right, as far as both voice, as well as word picks, arrogance, and the like. Jordan Peele did a pretty spot-on Barack Obama (with Key as Luther adding most of the comedy), while most shows just doing awful parodies here as well.

I can see SNL either soft-pedaling Biden, or going right to his stutter, and then soft-pedaling after the blowback - mostly likely the former, just because that's who they are now.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 12:55 AM   #132
Venom
Illuminator

They better get somebody good for Biden. I don't know about SNL, but at least he should make it to the White House Correspondent's Dinner. I generally hate super caricatured impressions. They're juvenile and make it less funny, not more.

I find myself holding back laughter when I hear Biden speak. The "sleepy" thing gets into my head and he invariable makes a minor slip up and says something by accident. I kind of feel bad but there's some material there to work with.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 04:50 AM   #133
Elagabalus
Philosopher

From back in April. 3 way with OAN.

I AGREE

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...1#post13069261
Old 10th November 2020, 05:20 AM   #134
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Rick Birght, CDC whistleblowerr, is part of the Biden Covid Task Force.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/09/p...ght/index.html
Old 10th November 2020, 08:04 PM   #135
Venom
Illuminator

I hope somebody puts pressure on Biden to get some big things out of the way immediately, if only to jumpstart the PR. The COVID-19 advisory board was a good start.

How about:

1. End U.S. support for the war in Yemen
2. Biden public option
3. Education reform
4. Criminal justice

He needs a strong start to get the ball rolling.
Old 10th November 2020, 08:09 PM   #136
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Hannity tonight.

BIDEN’S FAR-LEFT AGENDA: Rejoining the Paris Agreement and the World Health Organization? Find out what’s on the table in a Biden-Harris administration on “Hannity” TONIGHT at 9 PM ET.

So in Hannity land 'far-left' Is talking to the world?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 08:13 PM   #137
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

They better get somebody good for Biden. I don't know about SNL, but at least he should make it to the White House Correspondent's Dinner. I generally hate super caricatured impressions. They're juvenile and make it less funny, not more.

I find myself holding back laughter when I hear Biden speak. The "sleepy" thing gets into my head and he invariable makes a minor slip up and says something by accident. I kind of feel bad but there's some material there to work with.
I heard him today and he was great. But he did stutter a couple of times and pause searching for the words. Nothing unreasonable...but eventually it will be fodder.
Old 11th November 2020, 01:47 AM   #138
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I heard him today and he was great. But he did stutter a couple of times and pause searching for the words. Nothing unreasonable...but eventually it will be fodder.
Biden's not a great speaker like Obama, there's no denying that. But we don't need a great speaker. I like that he's steadily calm and civil and not resorting to the nastiness and divisiveness that we've had from Trump the last 5 years. I'm so sick of it and so is the majority of the country. If you* want rude, stupid, and loud, watch Rush Limbaugh.

ETA: *general "you"
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2020, 08:22 AM   #139
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

I hope somebody puts pressure on Biden to get some big things out of the way immediately, if only to jumpstart the PR. The COVID-19 advisory board was a good start.

How about:

1. End U.S. support for the war in Yemen
2. Biden public option
3. Education reform
4. Criminal justice

He needs a strong start to get the ball rolling.
He has published what he plans to do immediately upon inauguration so far.

•Honoring the Paris climate agreement
•Reversing what's left of the Muslim travel ban (it got stopped for some countries but others are still left on it somehow)
•Following & enforcing DACA
•Following & enforcing about a hundred health & environmental rules

And although it's not in this list, he's also talked about honoring the Iran deal.

Not a bad start; needs more; no word on whether any more will be added
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2020, 11:02 AM   #140
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
I think you're wrong about this. SNL will make fun of Biden, but people won't so butthurt when it happens to Biden as they do Trump.
I'm pretty sure that Biden is well grounded enough to understand that having comedians make fun of you comes with the territory when your the president. I do think, however, that some of the more SJW/snowflake/woke types in the media and on social media will be clutching pearls every time it happens.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2020, 11:05 AM   #141
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
He has published what he plans to do immediately upon inauguration so far.

•Honoring the Paris climate agreement
•Reversing what's left of the Muslim travel ban (it got stopped for some countries but others are still left on it somehow)
•Following & enforcing DACA
•Following & enforcing about a hundred health & environmental rules

And although it's not in this list, he's also talked about honoring the Iran deal.

Not a bad start; needs more; no word on whether any more will be added
I think honoring the Iran deal is going to take some negotiation. The question is whether, at this point, Iran has any interest in honoring their part of it. I could hardly blame them if they don't. That may well be something that Trump has broken beyond repair.

Last edited by CORed; 12th November 2020 at 11:10 AM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2020, 11:12 AM   #142
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I think honoring the Iran deal is going to take some negotiation. The question is whether, at this point, Iran has any interest in honoring their part of it. I could hardly blame them if they don't. That may well be something that Trump has broken beyond repair.
I am quite sure they will be for it if sanctions are lifted. These murder them, quite literally.
Old 12th November 2020, 11:30 AM   #143
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by CORed View Post

So far, President Rouhani has said "Now, an opportunity has come up for the next U.S. administration to compensate for past mistakes and return to the path of complying with international agreements through respect of international norms.”
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2020, 11:51 PM   #144
Bubba
Illuminator

How Joe Biden Will Turn the Clock Back and Fan the Flames of Conflict in the Middle East

The Middle Eastern favorite of the Obama-Biden administration was Iran, even though it is one of the top terrorist states in the world. The Obama policy was to appease Iran by removing sanctions, sending billions of dollars, and making an agreement with Iran (The Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action—JCPOA) to hold off making nuclear weapons for a few years (10-15: until 2025-2030), after which it would be fine. Israel, identified by Iran as the country it wanted to wipe off the map, provoked the anger of Obama by objecting to the pandering to Iran, and the Israeli Prime Minister became persona non grata to the Obama administration. The Obama administration also wanted Israel to handle the Hamas and Hezbollah terrorist movements, both funded by Iran, with kid gloves, and tended to see proportionality not as defined in military law (civilian losses proportional to military objectives), but as equal numbers killed on both sides.

https://pjmedia.com/columns/philip-c...-east-n1136130
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2020, 11:55 PM   #145
dirtywick
Master Poster

oh now that's an objective take on it
Old 13th November 2020, 09:20 AM   #146
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
How Joe Biden Will Turn the Clock Back and Fan the Flames of Conflict in the Middle East

The Middle Eastern favorite of the Obama-Biden administration was Iran,
Define "favorite". That Iran was a country that required attention?
Quote:
even though it is one of the top terrorist states in the world.
And after 4 years of Stubby McBonespurs, Iran is.... still one of the top terrorist states in the world. But at least now the U.S. has lost any sort of leverage they had dealing with its nuclear program, and actually improved support for the Iranian government (both inside Iran and outside). So, yay Trump?
Quote:
The Obama policy was to appease Iran by removing sanctions
It is called negotiations and diplomacy. Something that seems to be beyond the understanding of Trump and the MAGAchuds.
Quote:
sending billions of dollars
You mean the billions of dollars that were actually Iran's to begin with?
Quote:
and making an agreement with Iran (The Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action—JCPOA) to hold off making nuclear weapons for a few years (10-15: until 2025-2030)
And how is that worse than Iran actually starting to make nuclear weapons immediately?

Iran has declared that it will no longer abide by any of the restrictions imposed by the 2015 nuclear deal. In a statement, it said it would no longer observe limitations on its capacity for enrichment, the level of enrichment, the stock of enriched material, or research and development.
Quote:
Israel, identified by Iran as the country it wanted to wipe off the map, provoked the anger of Obama by objecting to the pandering to Iran, and the Israeli Prime Minister became persona non grata to the Obama administration.
Last time I checked, both Israel and the U.S. were independent countries, free to pursue their own policies and ideals.
Quote:
Overall, we rate PJ Media to be Questionable based on extreme right-wing bias, promotion of propaganda and conspiracies as well as numerous failed fact checks.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot

Last edited by Segnosaur; 13th November 2020 at 09:25 AM.
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 11:44 AM   #147
Bubba
Illuminator

This is fantastic !

Under Biden we can look forward to more of:

My next door neighbor's daughter was ahead of the pack in a liberal northeast city. She exposed him for quietly supporting Trump. He lost half of his business, and is now losing his home.

His Antifa niece has designed a discreet reflective sticker they are putting on mailboxes and front doors of Trump supporters, for nighttime identification purposes.

My crazy friend blames new ideas college kids learned since the late 70s, and that they are now everywhere, practicing what was preached.

Progressively looking forward, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, asked:

"Is anyone archiving these Trump sycophants for when they try to downplay or deny their complicity in the future?"

Michael Simon, a former staff member in Barack Obama’s administration, replied that, indeed, someone is doing the “archiving.” Linking to something he called the “Trump Accountability Project,” Sinon assured Ocasio-Cortez and others:

"Yes, we are."

The Trump Accountability Project (@trumpaccproject)

Quote:
Every Administration staffer, campaign staffer, bundler, lawyer who represented them — everyone. https://t.co/PHx8v8GxOp.

In the same vein, former Democratic National Committee Press Secretary Hari Sevugan stated that “employers considering [Trump White House staffers] should know there are consequences for hiring anyone who helped Trump attack American values.”

Emily Abrams, a Democrat operative, chimed in with this:

We’re launching the Trump Accountability Project to make sure anyone who took a paycheck to help Trump undermine America is held responsible for what they did.

Join us and help spread the word.https://t.co/wtVxGIlYOK

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archiv...-leninists.php

Last edited by Bubba; 13th November 2020 at 11:50 AM.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 11:53 AM   #148
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Supporting fascists has consequences.

At least they don't need police protection because Trump supporters threaten to kill them.

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 13th November 2020 at 11:54 AM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 11:58 AM   #149
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Supporting fascists has consequences.
I don't understand why you are assuming anything written by Bubba is even remotely true.
Old 13th November 2020, 12:07 PM   #150
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
I don't understand why you are assuming anything written by Bubba is even remotely true.
I assume that almost anything written by Bubba is completely made up, either by him or his source.

Doesn't change the fact that Trump supporters are snowflakes who can dish out but not take abuse.
Old 13th November 2020, 12:13 PM   #151
sackett
Philosopher

Soon we'll see beggars squatting on the sidewalk holding crudely lettered signs, "Worked for Trump."

And us librul progressive commie persecutors will glide past them in our free government handout limos and we'll LAFF ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK!

Becuz that's just how we are.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 12:14 PM   #152
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I assume that almost anything written by Bubba is completely made up, either by him or his source.

Doesn't change the fact that Trump supporters are snowflakes who can dish out but not take abuse.
Looks like Bubba hates freedom of speech.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 12:42 PM   #153
Armitage72
Illuminator

What I found amusing was "new ideas college kids learned since the late 70s". People who were college students in the late 70s are almost ready to start collecting Social Security. That doesn't seem very "new". It reminds me of my father complaining about "new bands these days", like KISS and the Grateful Dead.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 12:53 PM   #154
Bubba
Illuminator

Their twitter comments, and elsewhere confirm their planning for a what sounds like peaceful pogrom (different than the peaceful riots).

Will you be turning in friends, neighbors or relatives who supported Trump?

BTW, Expect way more peaceful antifa arson, violence and rioting if Trump beats the odds in congress and wins.

Last edited by Bubba; 13th November 2020 at 01:15 PM.
Old 13th November 2020, 01:35 PM   #155
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

BTW, Expect way more peaceful antifa arson, violence and rioting if Trump beats the odds in congress and wins.
Yes, if Trump becomes POTUS for second term, there will be riots and violence. People won't roll over and let this country become outright rightwing authoritarian state that you want so much without fight.
Old 13th November 2020, 01:36 PM   #156
Bubba
Illuminator

A package deal, the Biden presidency

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
What I found amusing was "new ideas college kids learned since the late 70s". People who were college students in the late 70s are almost ready to start collecting Social Security. That doesn't seem very "new". It reminds me of my father complaining about "new bands these days", like KISS and the Grateful Dead.

Sounds like you do not know that marxist ideas began appearing in colleges in the late 70s, and have been multiplying to this day.

Today, on those campuses where free speech is most under attack, professors and students plainly state that they are marxists.

Most people are still unware of any of this.

Another example is BLM founder Patrisse Cullors stating "We are Marxists", in this 36 second video

Did Armitage 72's sources inform him that Patrisse Cullors said "We are Marxists"??

Last edited by Bubba; 13th November 2020 at 01:37 PM.
Old 13th November 2020, 01:43 PM   #157
Bubba
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
Yes, if Trump becomes POTUS for second term, there will be riots and violence. People won't roll over and let this country become outright rightwing authoritarian state that you want so much without fight.

The marxists inside the trojan horse named Biden are totalitarians.

The "peaceful" rioters and arsonists Biden hardly disavowed will erupt with a vengeance if they lose their dream of controlling you and I via an outright left-wing authoritarian state

Last edited by Bubba; 13th November 2020 at 01:44 PM.
Old 13th November 2020, 01:44 PM   #158
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Well someone hit the butthurt and crazy patch of black ice and turned into the skid I see.
Old 13th November 2020, 01:57 PM   #159
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Sounds like you do not know that marxist ideas began appearing in colleges in the late 70s, and have been multiplying to this day.
I think he was more confused by the word "new" when applied to marxist ideas from the 70s.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 03:06 PM   #160
sackett
Philosopher

Some individuals, faced with unpalatable realities,
Construct pseudo-universes in which they
Have room to fantasize,
Incoherently but satisfyingly, and
Zealously, on topics which, if they could be
Objective, would reveal the infantalism of their desires.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics