ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 21st February 2018, 09:49 PM   #81
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

People buy this stuff? Does anybody bother growing up anymore?

Or are all these time-traveler-story posts sort of like an RPG, and the people "going along" with them are just playing?
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2018, 12:10 AM   #82
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

The "lie detector" seems to be a bad blood pressure cuff (or a gym sock wound tight) and reminded me of the long-ago story of the police in some berg in Pennsylvania hooking a guy up to a "lie detector". It consisted of an aluminum colander with some wires tied to it and run behind a photocopy machine. They put the colander on the suspect's head and had pre-placed a sheet of paper on the copying pane of the photocopy machine. If he answered, like his name, correctly, they wouldn't hit the button, but when they asked him if he stole the case of cigarettes, they then pressed "Copy" and out of the chute came a letter sized piece of paper with "He's Lying" scribbled across it.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2018, 12:26 AM   #83
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
People buy this stuff? Does anybody bother growing up anymore?

Or are all these time-traveler-story posts sort of like an RPG, and the people "going along" with them are just playing?
I'm just hypothesizing. Time travel as something that people do isn't actually possible in real life.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2018, 08:43 AM   #84
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Bowls on ice.
I don't really know about the intricacies of bowls, but curling is extremely tactical (often dubbed "chess on ice"), and it's unquestionably superior to bowls because in bowls you don't get people shouting "HARD! HAAAAAARRRRD!" at people who are furiously sweeping in front of the stone, while wearing one slippy shoe and one sticky shoe.

*or, in the case of the Russian who just had to give her medal back because her husband/teammate was caught doping: "SVEEP! SVEEEEP!"
Old 22nd February 2018, 08:45 AM   #85
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I do assume it's humans using machinery with some feasible technical constraints. Magical alien technology isn't as fun.
The only things required to neutralise your concerns are a) that the time travellers can arrive on the ship once passengers have boarded, and b) that they can use it to leave the ship again before they die.
Old 22nd February 2018, 08:50 AM   #86
Pope130
Master Poster

I suspect the Titanic sank due to the excess weight of all the time machines of future historians who came back to find out why the Titanic sank.
Pope130 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 04:05 AM   #87
EHocking
Philosopher

Bowls on ice.
I believe the drug of choice is meldonium, rather than crystal.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 03:32 PM   #88
Pacal
Muse

This fantasy is amusing. If this guy is really from 2030 and he is apparently an adult than he must be alive right now some place else in which case there are two of them and a simple DNA test would help make his story convincing.

Of course the promoters of this gibberish won't do this.
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2018, 11:38 AM   #89
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Bowls on ice.
Competitive janitoring on ice.
Old 24th February 2018, 11:54 AM   #90
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Not sure how we got this derail, but...

Ever see janitorial staff take a ride on a spinning floor waxer?
There's your "ice dancing" component.

Need a beefed up Roomba though... the damned industrial machines tend to get tangled in their own power cords.

Sent from my A463BG using Tapatalk

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2018, 02:52 PM   #91
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Played by people with names like "Pancake" and "Steak".
Old 24th February 2018, 02:54 PM   #92
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Not sure how we got this derail, but...

Ever see janitorial staff take a ride on a spinning floor waxer?
There's your "ice dancing" component.

Need a beefed up Roomba though... the damned industrial machines tend to get tangled in their own power cords.

Sent from my A463BG using Tapatalk
Two-stroke engine!
Old 27th February 2018, 04:36 PM   #93
BillC
Bazooka Joe

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
There is a short fantasy story in which a greedy miser in the 1800s catches the devil in a trap with the idea of making a deal. The trapped devil fusses and fumes but the miser refuses to release him, "No, not for all the tea in China!" But the devil then holds up a finger and asks, "Wouldn't you? Wouldn't you release me for all the tea in China?" The deal is made and the devil delivers:

Immediately and on top of the miser's head.
There is no 'T' in China.
BillC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2018, 04:43 PM   #94
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
This fantasy is amusing. If this guy is really from 2030 and he is apparently an adult than he must be alive right now some place else in which case there are two of them and a simple DNA test would help make his story convincing.

Of course the promoters of this gibberish won't do this.
I actually read a fair amount from that thread and the guy repeatedly said he wasn't out to prove anything when asked to present some sort of evidence from one or two quasi-skeptics. The incredulous rest said they weren't trying to have him prove it, they believed his word that he was a time traveler.

So anytime a person would ask about presenting DNA, as your example, he'd blow it off. He was living at home with his parents, supposedly because he missed them, but I think he's living at home with his parents because he's a very low-functioning schizophrenic or similar and his fantasies and delusions of being from the future stem from that.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2018, 12:18 PM   #95
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
...He was living at home with his parents, supposedly because he missed them, but I think he's living at home with his parents because he's a very low-functioning schizophrenic or similar and his fantasies and delusions of being from the future stem from that.
This is way more the truth than his being a time traveler. He can't prove in even the slightest of ways he's from the future (just doesn't want to?), yet we can easily prove he's brain damaged. I wonder what's more likely?
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2018, 05:36 PM   #96
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
This is way more the truth than his being a time traveler. He can't prove in even the slightest of ways he's from the future (just doesn't want to?), yet we can easily prove he's brain damaged. I wonder what's more likely?
I know, right? I actually feel a little sorry for the guy, to be honest, though he might not even be aware of his low-functioning status. Still, it's probably a fairly rough life.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal