ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th February 2018, 03:55 AM   #41
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
You've never seen the "God Is My Co-Pilot" stickers? God being in the passenger seat could explain the lower rates.
The problem is when they let him drive while they take a break.

I think that particular sticker is more an American thing than a British one.

In other news

Jesus built my car
It's a love affair
Mainly Jesus and my hot rod
Old 15th February 2018, 04:11 AM   #42
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Well, we know for a fact that the reason for fewer religious people dying in traffic accidents can't be divine intervention, because the Bible says God is powerless against cars:

Quote:
"And the LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron." - Judges 1:19
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 05:35 AM   #43
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

When the life insurance companies are convinced there is something to this - when they start offering religious people cheaper life insurance premiums because, all other things being equal, they are less likely to die in accidents than non believers - let me know. Until then I will remain sceptical.
Old 15th February 2018, 07:38 AM   #44
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Swordfishtrombone View Post
Just Baptists and Adventists? That's bizarre - the overwhelmingly dominant denomination in Denmark, as in all over Scandinavia, is Lutheran. I'm pretty sure Baptists and Adventists make up a tiny minority of the religious people in Denmark.

Of course, the majority that are Lutheran on the books aren't very religious at all - I suspect that people who identify as belonging to one of the more minor denominations, will tend to be more religious. But there really aren't that many of them in Denmark. Just checked the wikipedia entry on Denmark, and 75.9% of the population are members of the Church of Denmark, that is Lutheran. (The vast majority of whom don't regularly attend church services, and only 19% consider religion important to their lives.)

Danmark, Religion (Danish Wikipedia)
Religion in Denmark (Wikipedia)

There aren't more than a couple of thousand Baptists in Denmark. I grew up at Skotlands Plads (2300 S), next to the Baptist Købnerkirken where a lot of children from my block used to go for Sunday school, not because we or our parents were Baptists, but because we enjoyed their songs and tales from the Bible.
Danish journalist Øjvind Kyrø is a Baptist, but he's also responsible for two of the best skeptical TV programmes Forført (Seduced, about Sai Baba), and Fornemmelse for snyd (A Sense of Fraud, a mini series that tested different kinds of paranormal claims):

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 15th February 2018 at 07:41 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2018, 09:00 PM   #45
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
Unfortunately, the article is behind a paywall, and it is in Danish, so for most readers here, it is irrelevant anyway: Hvorfor dør religiøse mennesker sjældent i trafikken? Passer Gud på dem?
The title translates as "Why do religious people rarely die in road accidents? Does God protect them?". ..
For the same reason Why drunken drivers are more likely to survive a crash.

Driving while impaired.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2018, 07:35 AM   #46
Parsman
Muse

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
You've never seen the "God Is My Co-Pilot" stickers? God being in the passenger seat could explain the lower rates.
The driver lives but the passenger dies because the air bags fail to deploy. God really IS dead!

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2018, 02:53 AM   #47
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster

Maybe religious people tend to drive at 50% of the speed limit and cause frustration and accidents around them but aren't involved in the accidents themselves, or aren't driving fast enough to be seriously injured if they are in an accident?
Old 18th February 2018, 03:45 AM   #48
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by alexi_drago View Post
Maybe religious people tend to drive at 50% of the speed limit and cause frustration and accidents around them but aren't involved in the accidents themselves, or aren't driving fast enough to be seriously injured if they are in an accident?
I wasn't going to be quite so blunt, but that's not 100% away from what I was alluding to earlier. My entirely subjective experience is also that they're more likely to be erratic with right of way, whether it's pulling out in front of other cars when they don't have right of way or stopping suddenly at inappropriate times to cede right of way. For balance I'd also point out that the driver with whom I feel safest (and I've been in his car in very adverse conditions) is very religious (Evangelical Christian). It seems really to be down to age and the demographics of religion rather than the religious belief itself, but when I see a religious symbol I become extra cautious (same if they have a 'driving hat').

The big exception is Sikh religious symbols, if I see one of these on a car, or sometimes vans, they are most often young men and driven in a 'confident' manner. I particularly remember a particularly badly driven van on the A40/M40, but other than that they haven't struck me as being particularly better or worse than average.

Oh, and anyone with a load of stuff hanging from the rear view mirror or a rear window full of stuffed animals gets a really wide berth...
Old 19th February 2018, 09:53 PM   #49
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Yard signs seem to have been gaining in popularity around here.

This one in particular;

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...355a800023.jpg
You've seen the signs alarm companies put up on the grass of houses they service? That one is from the lawn-care guy.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2018, 10:12 PM   #50
mgidm86
Illuminator

If one considers a person screaming "Jesus F'n Christ!" out loud just before a collision then that would skew the numbers in religion's favor a tad. Happened to me just a few weeks ago, except I said "Gawdamn Muth..." BOOM!!! I'm not religious.
Old 20th February 2018, 10:14 PM   #51
mgidm86
Illuminator

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
You've seen the signs alarm companies put up on the grass of houses they service? That one is from the lawn-care guy.
Or for him. Thank you "Hey-soos"!
Old 3rd March 2018, 01:27 PM   #52
Thor 2
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Really, often see the fish on the back of cars. Probably a couple of times a week.

From my observation there seems to be fewer of them on cars these days than a few years ago in OZ.

Some years ago I borrowed one of my god bothering brother's cars for a week when visiting. It had one of those fishy things on the back, and a number of times I was passed by cars full of waving folk with smiling faces - how embarrassing.

Back to the subject matter, I imagine the Amish don't have too many traffic deaths.

Last edited by Thor 2; 3rd March 2018 at 01:30 PM.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2018, 01:47 PM   #53
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Back to the subject matter, I imagine the Amish don't have too many traffic deaths.
True.
But they probably lead the nation in "half built barn walls falling on them".

(eta: A runaway carriage is quite dangerous, there've been plenty of Amish etc. deaths from such... though I have no idea of the frequency. Mixing horse and modern tourist auto traffic can be dodgy.)

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2018, 03:13 PM   #54
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
True.
But they probably lead the nation in "half built barn walls falling on them".

Under Amish Health and Safety Laws they stand so the wall falls around them and they're left standing in the window frame.
Old 3rd March 2018, 03:18 PM   #55
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Under Amish Health and Safety Laws they stand so the wall falls around them and they're left standing in the window frame.
Yes, I've seen early last century documentaries on that.

Quite amazing, though I usually found them amusing.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2018, 07:09 AM   #56
dann
Philosopher

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal