ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags big cats , cougars , cryptozoology

Reply
Old 20th August 2011, 01:29 PM   #281
mikeyx
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,568
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
The Connecticut cougar was also confirmed in Lake George, New York by tracks, hair and DNA.

Wild cougar passed through Lake George



This is the kind of confirmatory evidence that is available when real cougars are present. We have nothing like this for any other cougars in the East.
Yet................. It happened and not an escaped pet to match Drew's bs.....

You tanked another thread with honest commentary on things and want to believe you are the interweb police or something. This is why you are on ignore. This is why your agenda is useless, as much as your opinion.

Parcher = troll
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2011, 05:52 PM   #282
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 20,294
Originally Posted by mikeyx View Post
Yet................. It happened and not an escaped pet to match Drew's bs.....

You tanked another thread with honest commentary on things and want to believe you are the interweb police or something. This is why you are on ignore. This is why your agenda is useless, as much as your opinion.

Parcher = troll
Attacking the poster is bad form, and against the rules, and it appears desperate on your part.
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2011, 09:28 PM   #283
mikeyx
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,568
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Attacking the poster is bad form, and against the rules, and it appears desperate on your part.
Nope. The fact that Parcher seems to have the need to attack others rather than his usual know it all routine is a new low. Deal with it. I have nothing to be desperate about.
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2011, 08:47 AM   #284
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 20,622
Case Report from New York State on the wandering cougar.

Quote:
The hair sample consists of 15 fine hairs in an unlabelled zip-loc style sandwich bag. The hairs range in length from 9 to 15mm and are tan with dark (black) tips; they appear to be underfur, no guard hairs are present. They have a dark thick medulla with some vacuoles present and brownish yellow ungranulated pigment. The track photos consist of 36 photographs of tracks in the snow, some with a yardstick for scale. The foot print measures approximately 4 1/4 inches long by 3 1/2 inches wide; a trilobed heel pad is clearly evident in some footprints. Based on the yardstick in some of the photos the stride is estimated at ~30 inches...

Five hairs were sent to Dr. Melanie Culver at the University of Arizona School of Natural Resources on February 9, 2011 for DNA analysis to determine species and subspecies if possible; results are still pending as of the date of this report. Four hairs were sent to Kristine Pilgrim at the US Forest Service Rocky Mountain Research Station on July 28, 2011 for DNA analysis to determine species and to determine if it was the same mountain lion that was killed in Milford Connecticut on June 11, 2011...

Quote:
It is interesting to note that this one lone mountain lion passing through New York was detected and confirmed through track photographs and DNA (and also detected and confirmed several times in other states) which is good evidence that if a population of mountain lions lived in the northeastern US they would likely be detected.
This cougar is powerful evidence that the bolded statement is meaningful.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2011, 09:02 AM   #285
The Shrike
Illuminator
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,615
Originally Posted by mikeyx View Post
Nope. The fact that Parcher seems to have the need to attack others rather than his usual know it all routine is a new low. Deal with it. I have nothing to be desperate about.
Dude, seriously you're looking like a complete loon with these posts. How can you call parcher the troll when his recent post actually brought new information to the thread and yours just, well, called him a troll? By definition, you are the one trolling and it's blatantly obvious to anyone reading the thread.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2011, 09:04 AM   #286
The Shrike
Illuminator
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,615
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
This cougar is powerful evidence that the bolded statement is meaningful.
Agreed. So this is now the fourth independent confirmation of this one individual, right? The animal was confirmed in MI, WI, NY, and CT?
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2011, 11:53 AM   #287
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 20,294
If it was an 800 pound bipedal cougar, it would have gone undetected.
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2011, 04:37 AM   #288
mikeyx
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,568
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Dude, seriously you're looking like a complete loon with these posts. How can you call parcher the troll when his recent post actually brought new information to the thread and yours just, well, called him a troll? By definition, you are the one trolling and it's blatantly obvious to anyone reading the thread.
YOU are brazenly choosing to ignore the part where he draws upon politics that are largely old news, none of his business from another forum, trolling is trolling and cherry picking your points is not helpful.
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2011, 11:21 AM   #289
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 20,622
Originally Posted by mikeyx View Post
YOU are brazenly choosing to ignore the part where he draws upon politics that are largely old news, none of his business from another forum, trolling is trolling and cherry picking your points is not helpful.

__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2011, 11:23 AM   #290
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 20,622

When the public cries mountain lion, these guys respond (Connecticut)



Quote:
...But since June, when the state's first recorded mountain lion appeared -- and then was struck dead by a car on a Milford highway -- the officers have busily tracked that species, too. Though they've found nearly every reported sighting lacking in evidence, or corresponding instead to bobcats or deer, the officers aren't writing off the prospect of confronting another mountain lion. "We're not saying no, we're just saying, 'Show us proof,' " said Capt. Raul Camejo, who oversees the 20 EnCon officers covering western Connecticut.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:08 PM   #291
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,333
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
More of this please.
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2011, 10:00 AM   #292
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 20,622
Loren Coleman nurtures Eastern Cougar conspiracy theorists...

Retro-Explaining: Dead Connecticut Cougar Said To Have Been In New York…As Well As Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota And South Dakota!

Originally Posted by Coleman on Cryptomundo
Why do I get the creepy feeling that this one dead cougar in Connecticut is now being used by U.S. wildlife officials to explain several recent confirmed puma sightings in the Midwest and East – sort of like how a confessed serial killer is used to "clear the books" on unsolved murder cases?
Yeah, we've got a bunch of cougars bopping around in the East and those government bastards are trying to make it look like it was only this one.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2011, 03:18 AM   #293
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,333
I cant wait to read this, what are the comments saying?
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2011, 10:02 PM   #294
dropzone
Master Poster
 
dropzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,014
There was a time when I read the chronicles of "White" folk held by "Indians" 300 years ago. What it described was a world filled with people covering 30 miles a day. It happened. Probably the only animal that might leave us in the dust is the wolf.
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2011, 10:08 PM   #295
dropzone
Master Poster
 
dropzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,014
Parcher, accept that there is no significant genetic difference between the Eastern Cougar and the Western Cougar and leave this alone. Animals screw, especially if they are closely related.
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2011, 06:03 AM   #296
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,333
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Parcher, accept that there is no significant genetic difference between the Eastern Cougar and the Western Cougar and leave this alone. Animals screw, especially if they are closely related.
I think he accepts this. His point is: that there is no breeding population of COUGARS in the east. Correct me if I'm wrong on that WP.

(Other than the Florida population of course)
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2011, 07:05 AM   #297
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 20,622
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Parcher, accept that there is no significant genetic difference between the Eastern Cougar and the Western Cougar and leave this alone. Animals screw, especially if they are closely related.

Attack of the Non Sequiturs From Left Field.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2011, 05:36 AM   #298
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,333
This guy says it perfectly;

Quote:
Hynes wrote that the matter provides good insight on the status of cougars in the region.
"It is interesting to note that this one lone mountain lion passing through New York was detected and confirmed through track photographs and DNA (and also detected and confirmed several times in other states), which is good evidence that if a population of mountain lions lived in the northeastern U.S. they would likely be detected,"
Read more: http://poststar.com/news/blotter/dec...#ixzz1WhhNkWXO
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2011, 06:44 AM   #299
mikeyx
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,568
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Attack of the Non Sequiturs From Left Field.
how typically dismissive
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2011, 02:56 PM   #300
leonAzul
Illuminator
 
leonAzul's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: noWhereLand
Posts: 4,289
Originally Posted by mikeyx View Post
how typically dismissive
mikeyx, please accept that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is using the word "extinct" in this context to describe a category of breeding population, not a taxonomic species nor clade, in order to most effectively allocate conservation resources.

In the sense that your comments fail to grasp the significance of context, they do indeed represent a non sequitur.
__________________
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits."
- Satchel Paige

"No man should have to clean up after another man's dog."
- Gerald Ford
leonAzul is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2011, 04:32 PM   #301
mikeyx
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,568
Originally Posted by leonAzul View Post
mikeyx, please accept that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is using the word "extinct" in this context to describe a category of breeding population, not a taxonomic species nor clade, in order to most effectively allocate conservation resources.

In the sense that your comments fail to grasp the significance of context, they do indeed represent a non sequitur.
no, you guys accept that Parcher and others are dickering over semantics. This is but one of many injustices going on here.
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2011, 07:19 PM   #302
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,333
MikeyX Parcher has clearly stated the position he subscribes to. It is a position from logic and common sense. Your position is that of anecdotal testimony and emotional outrage. It is clear you cannot comprehend the simple, straightforward arguments being presented.
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2011, 04:34 AM   #303
mikeyx
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,568
Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
MikeyX Parcher has clearly stated the position he subscribes to. It is a position from logic and common sense. Your position is that of anecdotal testimony and emotional outrage. It is clear you cannot comprehend the simple, straightforward arguments being presented.
nope, just that your egos wont let you stop beating a semantical horse to death.
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2011, 05:11 AM   #304
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,333
It's not semantical.

You believe there are cougars breeding in the East, Parcher does not. How is it semantical?
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2011, 08:35 AM   #305
mikeyx
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,568
Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
It's not semantical.

You believe there are cougars breeding in the East, Parcher does not. How is it semantical?
No, I beleive they are here and the body proves it. You haven't proven the impossibility, you just presume to state my beliefs for me, which should be worth an infraction, and neither you or Parcher addressed sufficiently the subspecies vs. extinction argument. YOU were the one who said Eastern and Western were genetically indistinguishable.
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2011, 09:00 AM   #306
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 20,294
The body proves that one traveled here. It's not the same.

It's like having a bird fly to where it isn't supposed to be found and then claiming that bird is normally found there.
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2011, 09:21 AM   #307
The Shrike
Illuminator
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,615
If one would like to recognize an "eastern" (non-Peninsular Florida) subspecies of cougar as distinct from the "western" form, so be it. The available evidence suggests that all native cougars in the eastern U.S. north of peninsular Florida were hunted to extinction in the early 20th Century.

In recent decades, anecdotal accounts of cougars in the region say, east of the Great Plains and north of Florida have been almost universally erroneous. For the very small number of cases in which the sightings could be confirmed as a real animal, the source has been released South/Central American stock or dispersers from the western U.S. Even the cougars that have been confirmed in the eastern U.S. have not been confirmed to be part of the "eastern" subspecies.

Thus, the declaration of the "eastern" cougar's extinction is fully supported by the available data. Although it is always a tricky business to decide when the lack of new evidence for a species leads one to conclude the species is extinct, there is nothing to suggest that the "eastern" subspecies persists anywhere.

This declaration, however, does NOT mean that there are no cougars in the eastern U.S. We are seeing, especially over the last 5 years or so, cougars showing up and being confirmed in the East. Thusfar, there is no evidence of a breeding population, only wandering individuals dispersing far outside their normal range. Could there be one outside, I don't know, Charlotte, NC today? Sure, but there's no evidence for one there, and where cougars go they leave evidence.

One can take the information on long-range dispersal in cougars and presume that there is a small number of "cougars in the East." William Parcher's contention is that such a presumption is presumptuous - where cougars go they leave evidence. Unless we have that evidence, we should presume that cougars are NOT there. I tend to agree with him, but am willing to allow that there may be a couple of cougars in the East who might have sneaked in under the radar - their inevitable confirmation awaits.

I don't see what's so difficult about this?
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2011, 09:44 AM   #308
mikeyx
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,568
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
The body proves that one traveled here. It's not the same.

It's like having a bird fly to where it isn't supposed to be found and then claiming that bird is normally found there.
That doesnt address one poster's stated another's belief's without accuracy.

Edited to say; Don't tell me what I believe...... and the breeding thing is mute if the South AMerican progenitor accounts for the populations east and west. It's not extinct, it's just rare in the east. The rest is backpedaling over semantics.

Last edited by mikeyx; 9th September 2011 at 09:46 AM.
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2011, 11:49 AM   #309
The Shrike
Illuminator
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,615
There's no such thing as a breeding population of cougars in the eastern U.S. anymore, outside of Peninsular Florida. There hasn't been for decades. That could change in the future, but as of today, there's simply no evidence that this is happening.

(And the word is "moot", btw.)
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2011, 01:05 PM   #310
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 20,294
Originally Posted by mikeyx View Post
That doesnt address one poster's stated another's belief's without accuracy.

Edited to say; Don't tell me what I believe...... and the breeding thing is mute if the South AMerican progenitor accounts for the populations east and west. It's not extinct, it's just rare in the east. The rest is backpedaling over semantics.
Cougars are extinct in the eastern US, with the exception of the Florida version.

There now, I didn't say "Eastern Cougar".
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2011, 05:22 PM   #311
mikeyx
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,568
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Cougars are extinct in the eastern US, with the exception of the Florida version.

There now, I didn't say "Eastern Cougar".
Bull puckey, body found, they drop by if nothing else, and even if a western they are genetically the same many of you said so, done.

parcher, wrong.
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2011, 08:05 PM   #312
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 20,294
Originally Posted by mikeyx View Post
Bull puckey, body found, they drop by if nothing else, and even if a western they are genetically the same many of you said so, done.

parcher, wrong.
I leave NC to drop by my relatives in PA too. If a SEPTA bus takes me out, it doesn't mean that I lived in Philly.
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2011, 06:21 AM   #313
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,333
There is no population of cougars in the east. (other than FL)

There was a cougar in the East, it is dead.
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2011, 01:14 PM   #314
mikeyx
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,568
Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
There is no population of cougars in the east. (other than FL)

There was a cougar in the East, it is dead.
over simplification and dismissive.
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2011, 07:39 AM   #315
Old man
Muse
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 838
Originally Posted by mikeyx View Post
over simplification and dismissive.
But concise and absolutely true.
Old man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2011, 02:17 PM   #316
mikeyx
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,568
Originally Posted by Old man View Post
But concise and absolutely true.
Nope just more proof that Parcher brand skepticism

a) cant see past the tip of his own nose
b) this whole began as a veiled shot at footers, his favorite pastime.

This forum says education, not insults.
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2011, 04:57 AM   #317
Old man
Muse
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 838
Originally Posted by mikeyx View Post
Nope just more proof that Parcher brand skepticism

a) cant see past the tip of his own nose
b) this whole began as a veiled shot at footers, his favorite pastime.

This forum says education, not insults.
Yes, it does, and that's what people are trying to do.

Unfortunately, you can't tell the difference between the two.
Old man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2011, 06:43 AM   #318
The Shrike
Illuminator
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,615
Originally Posted by mikeyx View Post
b) this whole began as a veiled shot at footers, his favorite pastime.
There's no need to veil shots against 'footers. They should be called out for their irrational beliefs just like any other group facing scrutiny in this forum.

Out-of-range cougars are very much relevant to discussions of bigfoot, because when you really examine the data, you find that the vast majority of reported sightings are based on misidentifications and other non-cougar explanations. The story of the CT cougar is especially relevant because it illustrates that when a real cougar does occur someplace unexpected, it leaves undeniable physical evidence behind, and in this case this happened multiple times along the animal's dispersal route.

Think about that. Just one, individual cougar was trackable as it dispersed away from its normal range. Now consider the centuries over which not a single piece of any of the entire populations of bigfoots that should have lived and died has ever been recovered and confirmed.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2011, 06:49 AM   #319
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,333
Originally Posted by mikeyx View Post
Nope just more proof that Parcher brand skepticism

a) cant see past the tip of his own nose
b) this whole began as a veiled shot at footers, his favorite pastime.

This forum says education, not insults.
MikeyX, you are obsessed with how Parcher portrays footers, and ignoring the simple facts. When there is a cougar in the heavily populated, heavily driven eastern and Northeastern states, the situation gets resolved quickly. You can't deny that. Either they will find evidence of the existing cougar, or the cougar will end up dead in short order.

Do you think that there is a population of cougars evading human discovery? If this is so, then it is a distinct parallel between BIGFOOTERS, and YOURSELF.
Sorry for the following TEXTBURG
Both bigfooters, and yourself, would have to accept that a population of top predators, each being the largest of their respective order or family, on the continent, the Cougar of the Felidae family, and the Bigfoot of the Primate order, is intentionally avoiding discovery by humans, in one of the most explored, and utilized areaa of the world. The two beasts are not only avoiding discovery, but are not yielding any confirmatory evidence of their existence. The comparison is valid and true. You would rather try to label Parcher's comparison as invalid because of the nature of the comparison itself, than try to defend against Parcher's valid comparison with facts.

You are saying something like this: "PARCHER, your argument has no merit, because you are making fun of Bigfooters in the same breath as you are declaring no cougar population exists in the Eastern United States, therefore you are wrong, and I don't have to provide evidence of a breeding population."

I forget what this tactic is called, but I do think it is a known argument fallacy.
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic

Last edited by Drewbot; 12th September 2011 at 06:53 AM.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2011, 10:21 AM   #320
mikeyx
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,568
Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
MikeyX, you are obsessed with how Parcher portrays footers, and ignoring the simple facts. When there is a cougar in the heavily populated, heavily driven eastern and Northeastern states, the situation gets resolved quickly. You can't deny that. Either they will find evidence of the existing cougar, or the cougar will end up dead in short order.

Do you think that there is a population of cougars evading human discovery? If this is so, then it is a distinct parallel between BIGFOOTERS, and YOURSELF.
Sorry for the following TEXTBURG
Both bigfooters, and yourself, would have to accept that a population of top predators, each being the largest of their respective order or family, on the continent, the Cougar of the Felidae family, and the Bigfoot of the Primate order, is intentionally avoiding discovery by humans, in one of the most explored, and utilized areaa of the world. The two beasts are not only avoiding discovery, but are not yielding any confirmatory evidence of their existence. The comparison is valid and true. You would rather try to label Parcher's comparison as invalid because of the nature of the comparison itself, than try to defend against Parcher's valid comparison with facts.

You are saying something like this: "PARCHER, your argument has no merit, because you are making fun of Bigfooters in the same breath as you are declaring no cougar population exists in the Eastern United States, therefore you are wrong, and I don't have to provide evidence of a breeding population."

I forget what this tactic is called, but I do think it is a known argument fallacy.
No I am making the point that parcher couldn't make his point about cougars without getting in a dig at footers. You can stop trying to be my psychotherapist anytime btw.
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:07 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.