ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot

Reply
Old 12th August 2013, 06:00 PM   #1
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,648
Bigfoot - has anybody seen one? Part II.

Originally Posted by Vortigern99 View Post
This is because you have no background in, or understanding of, primate physiology. Subtle, millimetric differences in facial and somatic features can and do determine which species a given animal belongs to. All that's required is 1) knowledge and 2) close analysis of existing data.



There are exactly zero pictures of bigfoot, or of any animal purported to be bigfoot, that are as clear and evidential as the 1906 picture under discussion.

You haven't seen the photo, have you?



The standard of proof does not differ. You're mistaken.

You're also missing the larger point, which is that the Cross River gorilla was already known to exist. It was observed and studied by western science as early as 1904. It simply was not given its own subspecies until behavioral differences led some researchers to speculate, "Hmmm, I wonder if maybe this is a distinct subspecies?"

Equating the ascription of a new taxonomic classification to an animal already known and studied is not the same as "discovering" an entirely new, never-before-studied animal. I'm not sure which logical fallacy that is, but it's a huge one.
Was there a question in there somewhere I missed? Did you want me to respond to this part?: "This is because you have no background in, or understanding of, primate physiology."


I read thru your post of course. If you would like to talk more about the Cross River Gorillas, I'm fine with that but you'll probably need to start a new thread.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought your post was meant to be educational aside from a little snarky remark in the beginning.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2013, 06:32 PM   #2
RayG
Master Poster
 
RayG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Somewhere in Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,660
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
The walk is right on. That smooth gliding stroll is exactly the same.

The head shape is wrong for a female. (here in KY) The female I witnessed had a rounded head. The male's head (here in KY) looks like Patty's , gorilla-like with the sagittal crest.

The nose is wrong. A slitted nose like a gorilla is what I've seen, BUT,this was on a male.

The female face (nose) was obscured by hair and distance. I'm not sure of her nose description because I could not see it clearly.
For the love of Dog, why does no one ever have a camera with them when they observe these kinds of details?

RayG
__________________
Tell ya what. I'll hold my tongue as long as you stick to facts.
--------------------
Scrutatio Et Quaestio
RayG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2013, 06:39 PM   #3
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,783
That kind of detail on camera would blow away the PGF
OntarioSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2013, 07:15 PM   #4
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,648
Originally Posted by RayG View Post
For the love of Dog, why does no one ever have a camera with them when they observe these kinds of details?

RayG
I did on several occaisions Ray. And I was unable to capture anything conclusive. Only adding to blobsquatchery with my poor attempts.

I still try though. I have better equipment now, just need the hairy ones to cooperate with another close up encounter.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2013, 07:22 PM   #5
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 5,611
I find it hard to believe that you, nor any of your team, could manage a better photo, despite having several encounters.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2013, 07:27 PM   #6
The Shrike
Illuminator
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,732
One problem with the Cross River gorilla photo from 1906? It's an adult male chimpanzee, not a young male gorilla.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2013, 07:50 PM   #7
Chris L
Graduate Poster
 
Chris L's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,344
Originally Posted by OntarioSquatch View Post
That kind of detail on camera would blow away the PGF
And yet(i), there is no such detail on camera even after all these years. One guy (who just happened to be making a Big Foot movie at the time) supposedly caught one on film, but none of the great white hunters has managed anything close to that since. It's almost as if the dang things don't exist.
__________________
"The lie is different at every level."
Richard C. Hoagland
Chris L is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2013, 07:53 PM   #8
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster
 
HarryHenderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: All up in your business!
Posts: 1,837
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
...But there are always new creatures being discovered, new primates to this day. You don't like the Cross River Gorillas, ok how about the snub nosed monkey. Creepy looking little rascal but relatively new to science.

To sit back and say "We have already discovered everything that's out there" is kinda irresponsible. There's no way to know that.
The hilarity is you thinking you're trying to convince us of something. You're just trying to convince yourself. Why else come to this vast wasteland of Buzz Killington skeptics, known to have zero respect for your Bigfoot idol Bill Munns? And then make over 100 posts in less than a week's time defending him and Bigfoot? FTR I post less in an entire year. It's as if Bigfoot's cosmic license to exist depends solely on the amount of BIF™ (Bigfoot Intestinal Fortitude™) you can sustain in a hostile environment. That is, if you can endure the JREF hell and come out the other end perhaps scathed but still bleevin, then Bigfoot LIVES!

"If we can just get enough of us to say it, it's gotta be true."

Earlier you offered "...If you live nearby and wish to go out trekking let's go. I'm not for hire and I don't make deliveries. If you wanna solve the bigfoot mystery for yourself you'll need to put in the time and mileage trekking to do so. I have a great area available and you are welcome. Or you can sit by your computer and continue thinking someone should solve the mystery for you. I won't. But if you agree to put in say 18 months or so of effort there's a very good chance you'll solve it for yourself..."

Seriously? Are you just practicing your Amway pitch to a new audience? Apparently I'm unworthy of knowing the Bigfoot Truth™ unless I prove it by going through 18 months (not 6 or 12? Days?) of Bigfoot Monk rituals like driving in circles late at night yelling Bigfoot's name howl in vain whilst trying to capture actual Bigfoot farts with a fishing net and some Jim Beam? With a regular recitation of the Bigfooter's Pledge of Bigfoot Allegiance To Love This Bar thrown in for good measure? The question is, after 18 months of all that would I come back with a.) A whole body specimen, dead or alive, b.) Hair clippings? c.) A Real® Bigfoot Turd in a sealed glass jar? d.) Just another out of focus picture of a Real® Bigfoot turd in a sealed glass jar?

"The Letter D for $1,000 Alex."

Then you wrote, "...The easy way is to just deny everything and never make the effort to solve the mystery. If that's for you that's great. I'm of a different opinion."

Yes of course, how could I be so obtuse, it's me who's in denial.

So I'll ask again, do you have any ******* clue (or a regular clue too) how to genuinely shut us all up? That doesn't actually involve any of us and creepy late night Bigfoot Round-ups in rural Kentucky?
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2013, 08:05 PM   #9
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,645
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
One problem with the Cross River gorilla photo from 1906? It's an adult male chimpanzee, not a young male gorilla.
Concur.
As listed at the Smithsonian archive.
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
Prayer: "a sophisticated way of pleading with thunderstorms." T.Pratchett
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2013, 08:25 PM   #10
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,648
Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
The hilarity is you thinking you're trying to convince us of something. You're just trying to convince yourself. Why else come to this vast wasteland of Buzz Killington skeptics, known to have zero respect for your Bigfoot idol Bill Munns? And then make over 100 posts in less than a week's time defending him and Bigfoot? FTR I post less in an entire year. It's as if Bigfoot's cosmic license to exist depends solely on the amount of BIF™ (Bigfoot Intestinal Fortitude™) you can sustain in a hostile environment. That is, if you can endure the JREF hell and come out the other end perhaps scathed but still bleevin, then Bigfoot LIVES!

"If we can just get enough of us to say it, it's gotta be true."

Earlier you offered "...If you live nearby and wish to go out trekking let's go. I'm not for hire and I don't make deliveries. If you wanna solve the bigfoot mystery for yourself you'll need to put in the time and mileage trekking to do so. I have a great area available and you are welcome. Or you can sit by your computer and continue thinking someone should solve the mystery for you. I won't. But if you agree to put in say 18 months or so of effort there's a very good chance you'll solve it for yourself..."

Seriously? Are you just practicing your Amway pitch to a new audience? Apparently I'm unworthy of knowing the Bigfoot Truth™ unless I prove it by going through 18 months (not 6 or 12? Days?) of Bigfoot Monk rituals like driving in circles late at night yelling Bigfoot's name howl in vain whilst trying to capture actual Bigfoot farts with a fishing net and some Jim Beam? With a regular recitation of the Bigfooter's Pledge of Bigfoot Allegiance To Love This Bar thrown in for good measure? The question is, after 18 months of all that would I come back with a.) A whole body specimen, dead or alive, b.) Hair clippings? c.) A Real® Bigfoot Turd in a sealed glass jar? d.) Just another out of focus picture of a Real® Bigfoot turd in a sealed glass jar?

"The Letter D for $1,000 Alex."

Then you wrote, "...The easy way is to just deny everything and never make the effort to solve the mystery. If that's for you that's great. I'm of a different opinion."

Yes of course, how could I be so obtuse, it's me who's in denial.

So I'll ask again, do you have any ******* clue (or a regular clue too) how to genuinely shut us all up? That doesn't actually involve any of us and creepy late night Bigfoot Round-ups in rural Kentucky?
You want me to bring you a Bigfoot to your front door? LOL Even if I could why would I do that? What's my motivation? To better serve you?

As I already said, I don't deliver. You want answers to the mystery? Go get 'em is my advice. If not, the only person you have to blame is yourself.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2013, 08:27 PM   #11
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,648
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
One problem with the Cross River gorilla photo from 1906? It's an adult male chimpanzee, not a young male gorilla.
And we have a winner!
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2013, 08:40 PM   #12
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,264
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
One problem with the Cross River gorilla photo from 1906? It's an adult male chimpanzee, not a young male gorilla.
Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Concur.
As listed at the Smithsonian archive.
Good catch, Shrike. I should have looked closer. I was looking more at the stomach than the face.

Now going back to what Chris was saying...

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
I just think it's kinda funny how someone can view a black and white photo on Wiki supposedly taken in 1906 of a dead Cross River Gorilla and accept it as fact.

Yet those same folks will scoff at a similar photo if it was supposedly Bigfoot.

I understand the argument that the Gorilla has already been proven to exist, so a subspecies was always possible. But the standard of proof does seem to differ.


I will admit though, a body should be on file to document any new species discovery.
Again I would like to ask, if I look at a photo of a dead chimp, gorilla, orangutan, or any known extant animal, and I have no problem as accepting it as such, but I look at an alleged photo of a dead Bigfoot and my first thought is to think photoshop hoax or something along that line, what is unfair about that and what is not right about those differing standards?
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2013, 08:48 PM   #13
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,264
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
You want me to bring you a Bigfoot to your front door? LOL Even if I could why would I do that? What's my motivation? To better serve you?

As I already said, I don't deliver. You want answers to the mystery? Go get 'em is my advice. If not, the only person you have to blame is yourself.
If there are 12 foot Bigfoots living in Kentucky, they will be killed by humans. You're literally talking about what would be one of the largest land mammals in North America and there it is in Kentucky.
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2013, 08:52 PM   #14
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,264
Originally Posted by RayG View Post
For the love of Dog, why does no one ever have a camera with them when they observe these kinds of details?

RayG
http://www.bfrpky.com/PICS.html
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2013, 09:17 PM   #15
STRONG LIKE BEAR
Thinker
 
STRONG LIKE BEAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 160


HarryHenderson's post has cost me one glass of soda, 2/3rds of a cigarette, and both of my sides
STRONG LIKE BEAR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2013, 09:30 PM   #16
Chris L
Graduate Poster
 
Chris L's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,344
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
You want me to bring you a Bigfoot to your front door? LOL Even if I could why would I do that? What's my motivation? To better serve you?

As I already said, I don't deliver. You want answers to the mystery? Go get 'em is my advice. If not, the only person you have to blame is yourself.
Actually he wants you to provide evidence of your claims, otherwise their just bovine scat.
__________________
"The lie is different at every level."
Richard C. Hoagland
Chris L is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2013, 04:59 AM   #17
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 5,611
What a kop-out, Chris. You know fully well if Foot was real, & you could catch one, then you would. For the recognition and $$$
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2013, 05:02 AM   #18
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 5,611
It's hard to believe that any serious investigator would tell someone to "solve the mystery" for themselves. What nonsense...
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2013, 06:00 AM   #19
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 20,532
It's very hard to believe a person can see a slitted nose and other details, but can't get those details into a modern camera so that others can see them.

How can you be close enough to see details with your eyes, but too far away for a half decent camera to back up your observations?
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2013, 07:11 AM   #20
GT/CS
Illuminator
 
GT/CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Inland NW
Posts: 4,902
Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post

<snip>
So I'll ask again, do you have any ******* clue (or a regular clue too) how to genuinely shut us all up? That doesn't actually involve any of us and creepy late night Bigfoot Round-ups in rural Kentucky?
And I saw Deliverance, so I'm sure as hell not going to Kentucky to hang out for 18 months in the woods with a so-called bigfooter!
__________________
Normal in a weird way.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2013, 08:45 AM   #21
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 5,611
I'd always wondered what the 'KY,' in KY Jelly, stood for...
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2013, 02:48 PM   #22
River
Illuminator
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,962
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Kit, I'll check in and say this. It's impossible to have an intelligent conversation about an unknown primate with those who don't even know the difference between a chimp and a gorilla. (Exception noted for member "The Shrike")

Given, it may have been obvious to me because of my years spent interacting with chimps at the Alamogordo Primate Research. There's no need for me to blow my own horn so I usually don't especially to individuals who hide who they are. But it is still funny that someone would accept that black and white WIKI pic without question. Skeptic(s) at that. That makes something else obvious to me.

Now, let me ask you something. You stated at the BFF you found the Patty suit and were working on a documentary. Was this statement true or untrue? Have you found "the" suit? The evidence shown in the Munns presentation makes this unlikely IMO.

But I have an open mind and if you have found "the suit", it would be a revelation for the Bigfoot community and skeptics alike. So, instead of posting links to blobsquatches, to invite another nonproductive pile on, I'd think most here would rather see a photo of that suit. As is so often asked of me, can you provide evidence of that claim? Even a blobby photo of the suit would be something, not much as evidence, but something.

side note for another poster:
The movie "Deliverance" was set in the state of Georgia, not KY. I guess fear of HillBilly interaction could be a valid reason to NOT search the Southern backwoods though.

I live in north Ga. I've spent a good portion of my life in this area on and off. I've been to the locations where they filmed some of those scenes. (the chattooga river, and tallulah gorge) as well as I've hiked and mtn biked all over Cohutta wilderness area.


Plenty of wild hogs, deer, black bear, coyotes and other assorted fauna in the area. There are no bigfoots in Georgia. If you think there is an area with bigfoots, I'll be happy to find out what you're really experiencing there (just give me the location)

If it's on private land, you may be getting hoaxed or just imagining things. (or just plain telling stories) A blob in the bush does not equate a bigfoot. If you've spent any amount of time in the woods you would become familiar with what is there and the sounds/sign made by their activities. What evidence do you have of any bigfoots being present in the state?

Have you contacted any wildlife officials about it?
__________________
"I've seen more Bigfoot creatures than Mountain Lions and Wolves combined here in KY." ― ChrisBFRPKY

"I've observed 1 creature eating bark from a pine tree and enjoying like it was cotton candy." ― ChrisBFRPKY
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2013, 03:05 PM   #23
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,264
Why is Chris pretending he knew the Wikipedia Cross River gorilla page mistakenly showed a chimp?

Discussing the gorillas Chris says he thinks they haven't been filmed before 2009...

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Bigfooters like to use analogy animals like Cross River gorillas, etc. but none really work. But they don't bring to the table all the animals which have been imagined to exist but don't. Count the hits and ignore the misses.
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
The fact is these rascals were only filmed recently. '09 I think. Even though they were reported by locals. That's a great example of how primates can be elusive.
Night Walker links the photo that Vort already mentioned for Chris...

Originally Posted by Night Walker View Post
You have missed the point:

The Cross River gorillas have been known to science since 1904 when German taxonomist Paul Matschie described skulls collected from Cameroon as representing a new species, Gorilla diehli. As Vort pointed out, a clear photo of a dead one was taken in 1906 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_River_gorilla). Subsequent studies reclassified them as a subspecies of Gorilla gorilla (Rothschild 1904 & 1908) and later still subsumed them within subspecies Gorilla gorilla gorilla (Coolidge 1929).

It is the location of the Cross River gorilla’s habitat – on the border of Cameroon and Nigeria – that greatly affected its study. After WW2, Cameroon sought independence from its colonisers and became wracked with civil war from 1955 to 1971. Nigeria, too, suffered from a brutal civil war from 1966 to 1970 followed by a succession of corrupt military juntas until finally regaining democracy in 1999.

In 1998 new measurements and analyses of museum specimens soon led to the realisation that the skeletons of gorillas in the Cross River region may be sufficiently distinct enough to warrant their recognition as a subspecies and, with Nigeria opening itself up, this was subsequently and recently confirmed with an estimated population of only 300 individuals.

The recent successful efforts to document and re-classify the Cross River gorillas has nothing to do with it's "elusiveness" or local knowledge trumping science but rather with the broader context - it's habitat was in remote and dangerous no-go-zone.

There is no comparison between the context of Cross River Gorillas and that of Bigfoot in contemporary USA other than a negative one...
Chris responds to the linked photo to clarify he meant moving images as in video, no mentions of hey, that's a chimp...

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
For whatever reason, the Cross River Gorilla was not put on video until 2009, even though the locals reported sightings.

But there are always new creatures being discovered, new primates to this day. You don't like the Cross River Gorillas, ok how about the snub nosed monkey. Creepy looking little rascal but relatively new to science.

To sit back and say "We have already discovered everything that's out there" is kinda irresponsible. There's no way to know that.
Vort specifically asks Chris if he's seen the photo...

Originally Posted by Vortigern99 View Post
This is because you have no background in, or understanding of, primate physiology. Subtle, millimetric differences in facial and somatic features can and do determine which species a given animal belongs to. All that's required is 1) knowledge and 2) close analysis of existing data.



There are exactly zero pictures of bigfoot, or of any animal purported to be bigfoot, that are as clear and evidential as the 1906 picture under discussion.

You haven't seen the photo, have you?



The standard of proof does not differ. You're mistaken.

You're also missing the larger point, which is that the Cross River gorilla was already known to exist. It was observed and studied by western science as early as 1904. It simply was not given its own subspecies until behavioral differences led some researchers to speculate, "Hmmm, I wonder if maybe this is a distinct subspecies?"

Equating the ascription of a new taxonomic classification to an animal already known and studied is not the same as "discovering" an entirely new, never-before-studied animal. I'm not sure which logical fallacy that is, but it's a huge one.
Chris acknowledges the post, no it's a chimp gotcha moment, and suggests simply moving Cross River gorilla discussion to a new thread...

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Was there a question in there somewhere I missed? Did you want me to respond to this part?: "This is because you have no background in, or understanding of, primate physiology."


I read thru your post of course. If you would like to talk more about the Cross River Gorillas, I'm fine with that but you'll probably need to start a new thread.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought your post was meant to be educational aside from a little snarky remark in the beginning.
And only after Shrike points it out, jumps up to pretend he knew all along...

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
One problem with the Cross River gorilla photo from 1906? It's an adult male chimpanzee, not a young male gorilla.
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
And we have a winner!
This is the same person who in the presence of skeptics says his Bigfoot photos are not even evidence...

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
I completely agree on my failed attempts to capture video and still pics. There is nothing to qualify those as evidence and I would have never posted them here to be considered as such. Kitakaze is to thank for your blurry viewing pleasure. I did mention that he had forgotten the video and listed the link for that one though. It's not evidence either.
Yet on his own website for believers...

I can affirm that this individual in the pic and the rest of the group are some sort of unknown North American Primates that exactly match descriptions of the creatures known as Bigfoot/Sasquatch. Most Researchers are very afraid when presenting any evidence to the public, they will NOT say "IT'S BIGFOOT" for fear of being wrong or for fear of an honest misidentification. This is not the case with myself. I know what I have seen and captured on film and video and I know what I continue to observe in the KY backwoods, I have collected pictures and video of these creatures, behavior notes as well as what they're eating. - ChrisBFRPKY

http://www.bfrpky.com/PICS.html
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6

Last edited by kitakaze; 14th August 2013 at 03:07 PM.
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2013, 03:54 PM   #24
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 39,049
Originally Posted by River View Post
I live in north Ga. I've spent a good portion of my life in this area on and off. I've been to the locations where they filmed some of those scenes. (the chattooga river, and tallulah gorge) as well as I've hiked and mtn biked all over Cohutta wilderness area.


Plenty of wild hogs, deer, black bear, coyotes and other assorted fauna in the area. There are no bigfoots in Georgia. If you think there is an area with bigfoots, I'll be happy to find out what you're really experiencing there (just give me the location)

If it's on private land, you may be getting hoaxed or just imagining things. (or just plain telling stories) A blob in the bush does not equate a bigfoot. If you've spent any amount of time in the woods you would become familiar with what is there and the sounds/sign made by their activities. What evidence do you have of any bigfoots being present in the state?

Have you contacted any wildlife officials about it?
If you're going to stick to those unreasonably strict standards then you'll never see a bigfoot.

Pareidolia is a footers friend.

:
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2013, 01:03 AM   #25
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,648
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
I just think it's kinda funny how someone can view a black and white photo on Wiki supposedly taken in 1906 of a dead Cross River Gorilla and accept it as fact.

Yet those same folks will scoff at a similar photo if it was supposedly Bigfoot.

I understand the argument that the Gorilla has already been proven to exist, so a subspecies was always possible. But the standard of proof does seem to differ.

I will admit though, a body should be on file to document any new species discovery.
Sorry Kit, you'll have to try another angle. It's not my fault only 1 here took the hint. I don't consider "gotcha moments" as productive. You already know this about me from the BFF.

You also know I am soft spoken and a man of few words and I don't like engaging in conversation with those that are less than civil.

As far as my website. I'm not sure what my site has to do with the PGF? I have some pics and video there that I collected of what I saw on a few occaisions here in KY. None are defining proof of existence for Bigfoot for science. They're failed attempts to clearly capture what I saw on those occaisions. But I try. I think the video of the family group was a good effort considering the equipment I was working with, but still not scientific proof of existence of Bigfoot.


The complete description from that pic:

This pic is a crop from a larger pic below that I made about 30 minutes after the track pic at the bottom of the page. This crop is a much lower resolution than the 8.1 MP full pic below. The subject is exactly 120 feet from the camera. You'll notice the Sun is shining directly on the subject. For anyone that tries to say it's a trick of shadows and light, sorry, the Sun is shining directly on the creature so there's no possibility of shadows in direct Sun light.......It's the first week of March so leaf growth has not happened yet. The trees are mostly bare with the exception of a few pine trees, they have a few green needles of course. More details of the creature are visible in the high resolution full pic below.
Pic was made 03-06-2010 by me. Undisclosed location.
Measurements made on the tree the next day confirmed a height of over 9 feet of this "subject". This pic is being listed here as part of a release of information and is being made available to allow study of these creature's differing types of physical build. I can affirm that this individual in the pic and the rest of the group are some sort of unknown North American Primates that exactly match descriptions of the creatures known as Bigfoot/Sasquatch. Most Researchers are very afraid when presenting any evidence to the public, they will NOT say "IT'S BIGFOOT" for fear of being wrong or for fear of an honest misidentification. This is not the case with myself. I know what I have seen and captured on film and video and I know what I continue to observe in the KY backwoods, I have collected pictures and video of these creatures, behavior notes as well as what they're eating. For any reporters reading this, NO INTERVIEWS period. I don't do interviews, especially with closed minded reporters shirking grins or winking at the camera as they ask comical questions, I don't have time for nonsence. For all others, enjoy the pics being released.

Best, Chris Bennett
Research/Observation
Bigfoot Research Project of Kentucky.



Do I affirm what I have seen is Bigfoot? Absolutely. But that's not evidence. A body is evidence. Do I admit this description is from a blobby pic? I have many times.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2013, 01:28 AM   #26
STRONG LIKE BEAR
Thinker
 
STRONG LIKE BEAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 160
Chris how do you explain the existence of Bigfoot in modern Kentucky? Why do you think that is plausible? That picture of the "9 foot" "subject" .. there is nothing there. The problem isn't "the equipment" , the problem is that Bigfoot is not there..
STRONG LIKE BEAR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2013, 03:39 AM   #27
The Shrike
Illuminator
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,732
Exactly. You've got photos on your website that you claim to be bigfoots but you won't repeat those claims in the company of people who will question them. That's not cool. If you want to have a website on which you write stories about seeing bigfoots, go for it. But passing off photos of branches and shadows as photos of those bigfoots puts you in another category.

As for historical chimpanzee photos, I guess you are claiming that you had set a trap for us weak-minded meanie-heads at the JREF, but I don't think you had any idea that was a chimp until I pointed it out.

Color me skeptical that you've come here with a mind open to the slightest possibility that you could be wrong about Bigfoot.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2013, 04:31 AM   #28
dmaker
Graduate Poster
 
dmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,380
I guess Chris is saying that if we can't tell a chimp from a gorilla then we are also not qualified to tell a blob from a squatch in his scenery pics.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2013, 05:26 AM   #29
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,607
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
And we have a winner!
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2013, 07:48 AM   #30
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 20,532
Why is an elusive creature, an expert at stealth, just standing in direct sunlight in the woods?

Why can't we get a good picture of a giant biped standing in direct sunlight 40 meters away?
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2013, 07:52 AM   #31
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 20,532
Quote:
It's not my fault only 1 here took the hint.
So Shrike didn't know either? You had to give him a hint?

Quote:
You also know I am soft spoken and a man of few words
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2013, 08:09 AM   #32
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,607
This is to dispel the rumor that natives didn't hunt gorillas.

http://vimeo.com/64039673

Highly recommend.
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2013, 08:25 AM   #33
The Shrike
Illuminator
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,732
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
So Shrike didn't know either? You had to give him a hint?
If Chris was sending hints they were way too subtle for me. His statements show that he was trying to steer the conversation away from Cross River Gorillas. I just clicked on the link because I wanted to see the old photo. When I did, it was obvious to me that it was a chimp in the photo, despite the annotation on the photo.

I can assure all that Chris played no part in my correct identification of the unfortunate animal in that photo.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2013, 08:46 AM   #34
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 5,611
Chris, like myself, had no idea it was a Chimp, but I'm okay with not being a primate expert. Chris is as honest as his trade.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2013, 08:46 AM   #35
leisureclass
Scholar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 68
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Kit, I'll check in and say this. It's impossible to have an intelligent conversation about an unknown primate with those who don't even know the difference between a chimp and a gorilla. (Exception noted for member "The Shrike")

Given, it may have been obvious to me because of my years spent interacting with chimps at the Alamogordo Primate Research. There's no need for me to blow my own horn so I usually don't especially to individuals who hide who they are. But it is still funny that someone would accept that black and white WIKI pic without question. Skeptic(s) at that. That makes something else obvious to me.
I'm sorry, but when were you at Alamogordo? I ask because your bio page at http://www.bfrpky.com/Chris.html makes absolutely no mention of you working at any primate research facility.
leisureclass is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2013, 09:03 AM   #36
GT/CS
Illuminator
 
GT/CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Inland NW
Posts: 4,902
Catching Chris in another lie is nothing to be sorry about!
__________________
Normal in a weird way.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2013, 10:56 AM   #37
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 5,611
Chris and Northern Lights, I'm sensing a theme here. NL's excuse for contradicting himself is long overdue.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'

Last edited by Gilbert Syndrome; 15th August 2013 at 11:02 AM.
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2013, 02:14 PM   #38
Tontar
Thinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 197
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Well, a number of folks have claimed something similar but yet no bigfoot body, not a single one. Ever. This in a continent where every available animal resource was exploited to the fullest extent possible. Passenger pigeon gone, bison nearly so. Wolves, brown bear, deer (whitetail, mule, Sitka, etc.), beaver, all manner of fur bearers and migrating waterfowl. Millions of examples of native wildlife but not one single example anywhere of this primate you folks claim to see just about everywhere in North America. Do you think this is reasonable?
I found a dead wolverine not far from Mineral, WA, I think two years ago. I didn't realize at the time how rare they are supposed to be in this state until I looked them up days later. As far as I could tell, they weren't even supposed to be in that area at all. This article http://seattletimes.com/html/localne...returnxml.html suggests a count of only 25 animals in this state, yet I found a dead one. Amazing as that is, as unlikely as that is, it happens. A wolverine is not a big animal, certainly not one of the largest land animals in the country, and absolutely rare by any count.

So I see no way that there could be a viable breeding population of bigfoots anywhere in this country, that could have avoided detection all these centuries. If a person can find a dead animal not much bigger than a house cat or pet dog, that is supposed to number around 25 in the entire state, how come giant hairy beasts can never, ever, EVER be found and "sampled"?
Tontar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2013, 03:43 PM   #39
Jodie
Philosopher
 
Jodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,184
Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post

This is the same person who in the presence of skeptics says his Bigfoot photos are not even evidence...



Yet on his own website for believers...

I can affirm that this individual in the pic and the rest of the group are some sort of unknown North American Primates that exactly match descriptions of the creatures known as Bigfoot/Sasquatch. Most Researchers are very afraid when presenting any evidence to the public, they will NOT say "IT'S BIGFOOT" for fear of being wrong or for fear of an honest misidentification. This is not the case with myself. I know what I have seen and captured on film and video and I know what I continue to observe in the KY backwoods, I have collected pictures and video of these creatures, behavior notes as well as what they're eating. - ChrisBFRPKY

http://www.bfrpky.com/PICS.html
I think you misread what he said. They aren't evidence to anyone else but him because he saw what he photographed. Chris did say he thought his pics were bigfoot here a few posts back.
__________________
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2013, 03:58 PM   #40
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur
 
Skeptical Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Just past ' Resume Speed ' .
Posts: 15,275
Jodie,

What part of " I can affirm " is confusing you ?


Tontar:
Great observations !
__________________
" The main problem I have with the idea of heaven, is the thought of
spending eternity with most of the people who claim to be going there. "
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:48 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.