ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags aliens , UFO incidents , ufos

Old 6th January 2018, 06:35 AM   #361
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
So what does the link to the article about the Tuskegee Airman have to do with you and what does it have to do with UFO's?
Perhaps he's implying a cover up. Both have (had) that in common. Skyeagle has said our government is slowly preparing us for a big ufo reveal.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2018, 06:41 AM   #362
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Some very interesting passages in there, for a man who used to believe that the Roswell incident was a crashed UFO, and has now come to his senses and realised it was not. Furthermore, Jeffrey backs his assessment with EVIDENCE, something that is conspicuously absent in skyeagle409's posts

Jeffrey even talks about skyeagle409....

Skyeagle/Aubrey has seen Kent Jeffrey's stuff. I posted it explicitly for him 20+ years ago. He's probably even corresponded with Jeffrey. He has been at this for at least 20 years, probably much longer. At least he doesn't quote liar Glenn Dennis or non-extant Naomi Self any longer.

Every time we'd drill down on the specifics of Jeffrey's thoughts on Roswell, Skyeagle409 would respond with something about RAF Bentwaters (Rendlesham Forest) Kirtland, Teheran or Belgium or some other incident.

If we would then talked about RAF Bentwaters, he'd switch back to Roswell. Getting him to focus was like nailing jelly to a wall.
Old 6th January 2018, 06:56 AM   #363
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post
Speaking of movies, the movie, "Earth vs. the Flying Saucers," was an idea based on the 1952 UFO incidents over Washington D.C.

The 1952 UFO incident over Washington D.C. was a Hollywood publicity stunt for the 1951 move The Day The Earth Stood Still.

See? Anyone can play that game.
Old 6th January 2018, 02:39 PM   #364
Wolrab
Illuminator

This isn't our first Gay Rodeo.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2018, 03:42 PM   #365
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Every time we'd drill down on the specifics of Jeffrey's thoughts on Roswell, Skyeagle409 would respond with something about RAF Bentwaters (Rendlesham Forest) Kirtland, Teheran or Belgium or some other incident.

If we would then talked about RAF Bentwaters, he'd switch back to Roswell. Getting him to focus was like nailing jelly to a wall.
"Remember that the goal of conspiracy rhetoric is to bog down the discussion, not to make progress toward a solution"
- Jay "Utah" Windley
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2018, 09:51 PM   #366
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post
Speaking of movies, the movie, "Earth vs. the Flying Saucers," was an idea based on the 1952 UFO incidents over Washington D.C.
Here is Ray Harryhausen's 1949 test footage for his alien UFO film War of the Worlds. As George Pal made War of the Worlds in 1953, Ray Harryhausen made "Earth VS the Flying Saucers" instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa2OCI_M4zo
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2018, 03:14 AM   #367
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Here is Ray Harryhausen's 1949 test footage for his alien UFO film War of the Worlds. As George Pal made War of the Worlds in 1953, Ray Harryhausen made "Earth VS the Flying Saucers" instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa2OCI_M4zo
That left a mark.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2018, 06:01 PM   #368
Axxman300
Illuminator

Every US Government UFO Investigation Ever:

Forms a group to investigate made up of scientists and military people.

Investigates a variety of sightings.

Comes to the conclusion that UFO's are either mis-identified flying objects, atmospheric phenomenon, people with issues, and a handful of events where no conclusion can be reached.

Issues statement that UFO's do not represent a threat to National Security, which is a polite way of saying that there ain't no such thing.

Every UFO researcher:

"That handful of events where there was no conclusion? Evidence that UFO's are real and they're covering it all up."
Old 7th January 2018, 06:58 PM   #369
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
Every UFO researcher:

"That handful of events where there was no conclusion? Evidence that UFO's are real Flying Saucers flown/controlled by aliens and they're covering it all up."
Most UFO's are "real", even if they are not identified, but the default for the ones that remain unidentified is NOT that they are Flying Saucers flown/controlled by aliens.

As I have related previously on this forum, I have had a "UFO experience". Fortunately, something happened that allowed the group of people who saw it with me to identify what it was, but that "something" could easily have not happened... then we would have never identified the object.... that does not mean I would have defaulted to "gotta be aliens".
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2018, 08:44 PM   #370
Axxman300
Illuminator

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Most UFO's are "real", even if they are not identified, but the default for the ones that remain unidentified is NOT that they are Flying Saucers flown/controlled by aliens.

As I have related previously on this forum, I have had a "UFO experience". Fortunately, something happened that allowed the group of people who saw it with me to identify what it was, but that "something" could easily have not happened... then we would have never identified the object.... that does not mean I would have defaulted to "gotta be aliens".
I agree.

I've seen two UFO's in my 53 years. One made me scratch my head while the other one was so unreal I wouldn't have believed it was real had there not been another witness. Today I don't believe these were extraterrestrial in origin, but they led me into the UFO culture (for lack of a better phrase). Soon I had massed a small library of UFO books, and by the mid-90's I attended monthly UFO discussion meetings in my small town. I attended these meeting for most of four years, and I learned a lot about people during that time.

I was looking for answers to what I had seen in the night sky, and at these meetings there were one or two others who wanted to same thing, but the rest of them just wanted to confirm their world view.

This thread mirrors what I saw at these meetings. I would ask technical questions, and I would receive UFO dogma as the answers (Roswell, MJ-12, Area-51, Betty & Barney Hill, etc). Around this time the internet became a thing, and I would log onto the National UFO Reporting Center since it delt/deals with raw reporting data. This helped me put the whole thing into perspective in a way that didn't get from the UFO meetings. People see things in the sky that they cannot identify, and they tend to see the same kinds of things at the same times of the day.

For me just getting the straight reporting help demystify the phenomenon in many ways. Nobody was throwing a forty year-old UFO legend in my face to support their argument, and I was able to put this stuff behind me.

Maybe someday there will be a UFOlogist who can focus on a single topic at one time until there is an answer to that topic.
Old 8th January 2018, 12:43 AM   #371
Bubba
Master Poster

I attended a 'pre-arranged' ufo sighting (Oahu, 1980) hosted by Wayne Aho, an old timer who'd been in the ufo world since the 50s. He announced it on radio a few days prior.

The 'sighting' amounted to a huge (200+ feet diamater?) circle of white lights in or above low clouds. The lights ramped up slowly as if on a dimmer switch. No sound, other than palm fronds in the wind and surf at beach nearby. After about a half hour the circle slowly moved east, out of sight.

Later I heard he did the same thing around Pacific NW. He was all about The Space Brothers coming to save humanity from itself. I think someone had him on a leash, forced to serve as a barker for their stunts. Years ago he'd been prosecuted for fraud. He was involved with another guy (the mastermind), taking investors $ for constructing a free energy powered spacecraft, with help no doubt from The Brothers.

About 50 people showed up. As we drove up to the old airfield at dusk looking for the entrance, the headlights and interior lights on my old T-Bird blinked off for 5 seconds or so, then back on. A few moments later it happened again. That never happened before, nor since.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 12:56 AM   #372
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
I attended a 'pre-arranged' ufo sighting (Oahu, 1980) hosted by Wayne Aho, an old timer who'd been in the ufo world since the 50s. He announced it on radio a few days prior. The 'sighting' amounted to a huge (200+ feet diamater?) circle of white lights in or above low clouds. The lights ramped up slowly as if on a dimmer switch. No sound, other than palm fronds in the wind and surf at beach nearby. After about a half hour the circle slowly moved east, out of sight.
.....and no one took a photo.

Oddly his own biography never mentioned him taking other people to see the UFO. Did you take a photo?

Aho said a telepathic summons led him into the desert where a saucer appeared and a voice ordered him to go forth and create his own yearly convention in his home state of Washington. Following the instructions of the Space Brothers, Aho's yearly convention held near the entrance to Mount Rainier National Park, in the so-called Spacecraft Protective Landing Area for Advancement of Science and Humanities (SPLAASH), created in honor of Kenneth Arnold, tended to emphasize New Age theories of various kinds rather than being strictly a meeting-place for flying saucer fans.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Sulo_Aho
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 02:52 AM   #373
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

I attended a 'pre-arranged' ufo sighting (Oahu, 1980) hosted by Wayne Aho, an old timer who'd been in the ufo world since the 50s. He announced it on radio a few days prior.

The 'sighting' amounted to a huge (200+ feet diamater?) circle of white lights in or above low clouds. The lights ramped up slowly as if on a dimmer switch. No sound, other than palm fronds in the wind and surf at beach nearby. After about a half hour the circle slowly moved east, out of sight.

Later I heard he did the same thing around Pacific NW. He was all about The Space Brothers coming to save humanity from itself. I think someone had him on a leash, forced to serve as a barker for their stunts. Years ago he'd been prosecuted for fraud. He was involved with another guy (the mastermind), taking investors $ for constructing a free energy powered spacecraft, with help no doubt from The Brothers.

About 50 people showed up. As we drove up to the old airfield at dusk looking for the entrance, the headlights and interior lights on my old T-Bird blinked off for 5 seconds or so, then back on. A few moments later it happened again. That never happened before, nor since.
That's amazing!
Old 8th January 2018, 07:41 AM   #374
carlitos
"más divertido"

Unbelievable!
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 08:40 AM   #375
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

I had an old Volkswagen. The fuel pump would cut-off after about an hour, then it would cut back on after a while. Years later, I had a new Mercedes. The fuel pump would cut off after an hour, and start again after about an hour. Both were German autos. Both used German fuel pumps.

True story!
Old 8th January 2018, 10:25 AM   #376
Bubba
Master Poster

Luckily the faulty lights in my T-Bird was a once only glitch. Probably I accidentally bumped the switch a couple times while looking for the Space Brothers Meet and Greet Landing Site.

Over the years we'd review/re-tell the event, and it never changed. Simply, it was Aho on radio, clouds, circle of lights, only wind and waves were heard. My guess is it was either a 'light show' or some project taxpayers dont know they are funding, or both. After some talks with Aho, my gut was that he was no longer inspired, miserable, and on a leash, perhaps doing someone else's bidding.

Last edited by Bubba; 8th January 2018 at 10:27 AM.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 10:35 AM   #377
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Of what use are lights on a starship?

Bill Donohue
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 10:51 AM   #378
Bubba
Master Poster

Good point

Who said it was a starship?
Old 8th January 2018, 11:03 AM   #379
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Good point

Who said it was a starship?
It was a general question.

Bill Donohue
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 12:36 PM   #380
Axxman300
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
At the speed of light your headlights become tail lights, and if you go faster than the speed of light you headlights order pizza and time it so it's waiting for you when you get back.

Not sure if this is scientifically correct, but it is the version I accept.
Old 8th January 2018, 01:05 PM   #381
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
At the speed of light your headlights become tail lights, and if you go faster than the speed of light you headlights order pizza and time it so it's waiting for you when you get back.

Not sure if this is scientifically correct, but it is the version I accept.
I just assumed it's because space is dark. Really, really dark. You may think it's dark when the streetlight is out in front of the chemist's, but that's peanuts compared to space.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 07:14 PM   #382
Axxman300
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
I just assumed it's because space is dark. Really, really dark. You may think it's dark when the streetlight is out in front of the chemist's, but that's peanuts compared to space.
I think a starship would have running lights for the same reason ships and airplanes have them - to let other craft know where they are.

I don't pretend to understand light speed, but I doubt lights of any kind would be of use.
Old 8th January 2018, 07:58 PM   #383
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

If Aubrey knows as much about UFO's as he claims to, I want to know what he thinks about the Ernie Douglas incident in 1967.

BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 09:01 PM   #384
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
If Aubrey knows as much about UFO's as he claims to, I want to know what he thinks about the Ernie Douglas incident in 1967.
They sure swept that one under the rug in a hurry.
Old 8th January 2018, 09:55 PM   #385
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

I think a starship would have running lights for the same reason ships and airplanes have them - to let other craft know where they are.
You think there's that much intergalactic traffic? Wouldn't you imagine the technology which enabled interstellar travel would probably be light years (sorry) ahead of anti-collision systems like running/navigation /landing lights?

Bill Donohue
Old 9th January 2018, 01:20 AM   #386
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

You think there's that much intergalactic traffic? Wouldn't you imagine the technology which enabled interstellar travel would probably be light years (sorry) ahead of anti-collision systems like running/navigation /landing lights?

Oh the tech is super-advanced, its just that the devices which make it all work glow in a manner which, to our primitive eyes, resemble light bulbs.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2018, 01:46 AM   #387
Axxman300
Illuminator

There are no starships, but if there were they'd need land or dock somewhere.

As far as traffic goes I'm sure they'd have alternative warning systems to lights, but as the US Navy found out last year, running lights and a guy looking out the window is as good as radar and GPS.
Old 9th January 2018, 01:51 AM   #388
Cosmic Yak
Master Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
You'd think so, but then I'm left wondering why, if they are trying to keep their visits secret, they would hover over built-up areas and military bases with their lights blazing?
Old 9th January 2018, 08:25 AM   #389
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
You'd think so, but then I'm left wondering why, if they are trying to keep their visits secret, they would hover over built-up areas and military bases with their lights blazing?
They like to taunt the wild life.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2018, 08:53 AM   #390
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

They sure swept that one under the rug in a hurry.
The Air Force allegedly suppressed the photos Douglas took of the UFO.

Old 9th January 2018, 09:28 AM   #391
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

There are no starships, but if there were they'd need land or dock somewhere.

As far as traffic goes I'm sure they'd have alternative warning systems to lights, but as the US Navy found out last year, running lights and a guy looking out the window is as good as radar and GPS.
I immediately dismiss all ufo sightings that reference lights, especially those that describe red and green lights.

Bill Donohue
Old 9th January 2018, 12:56 PM   #392
Steve001
Graduate Poster

An opinion piece.

Quote:
UFO Legacy: What Impact Will Revelation of Secret Government Program Have?

Believers in aliens visiting Earths friendly skies via Unidentified Flying Objects (UFOs) couldn't ask for more: A secretive government group backed by federal black money, a talkative former U.S. military intelligence official, fighter-jet video of odd objects doing out-of-this-world maneuvers and a space mogul purportedly housing leftovers of unidentified aerial craft.
https://www.space.com/39325-us-gover...am-legacy.html

Last edited by Steve001; 9th January 2018 at 01:00 PM.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2018, 04:26 PM   #393
Axxman300
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
That's the kind of simple question that drove me to look for answers in the raw reporting data.

The bottom line for me is that the earth's atmosphere does crazy things with light. For example depending on the clarity of the nighttime air I can see the lights from radio towers 35 miles away, other nights I cannot see the lighted smoke stacks of the Moss Landing power plant three miles away.

I'm someone who spends a lot of time looking at the sky (I'm an airplane buff, and bird watcher) and I can see how someone seeing something for the first time would freak out.

The fun thing is there are large craft in the night sky that are unlit:

https://www.cbp.gov/frontline/frontl...mber-aerostats

12 years ago the DEA had a cousin of one of these in my area, accept it was a dark color, and I have no idea what it was looking at, but I did know it was in the night sky.

Someone seeing a dark shape against the night sky would have a crazy story to tell.
Old 9th January 2018, 04:53 PM   #394
Aqua
Student

The phenomena are almost always intended for people to observe, but very few are aware of this, which again, is by design.

Last edited by Aqua; 9th January 2018 at 05:01 PM.
Aqua is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2018, 05:47 PM   #395
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
The phenomena are almost always intended for people to observe, but very few are aware of this, which again, is by design.
Oh my, do tell us about it and how you gained this knowledge? Which shadowy group is doing this for what nefarious reason?

Last edited by Hans; 9th January 2018 at 05:49 PM.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2018, 06:37 PM   #396
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the Proposed Studies on the Implications of Peaceful Space Activities for Human Affairs, often referred to as "the Brookings Report"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brookings_Report

UfOlogists used to cite this report all the time as evidence of a conspiracy of silence. Not so much these days.

Last edited by John Jones; 9th January 2018 at 06:39 PM.
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2018, 06:41 PM   #397
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
Where do you get your information, comic books?
Old 9th January 2018, 07:29 PM   #398
jadebox
Graduate Poster

The space shuttle's orbiter didn't have any lights on it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spac...ational_lights
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2018, 08:39 PM   #399
Aqua
Student

Yes, straight from comic books.
Aqua is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2018, 07:21 AM   #400
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Hey! They aren't comic books, they're "illustrated speculative documentaries".
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal