ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , assault incidents , Chicago incidents , Jussie Smollett

Reply
Old 31st January 2019, 11:14 PM   #401
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 6,584
Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
the arms of the swastika pointed to the left--a mistake no self-respecting neo-Nazi would make
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure there are plenty of stupid neo-Nazis around who wouldn't be able to spell Nazi correctly, let alone draw a swastika.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 11:38 PM   #402
MikeG
Now. Do it now.
 
MikeG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 24,804
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I'm surprised that you didn't include another which is similar to the bolded one...

The story is a lie and it isn't to cover up anything and he wasn't attacked by anyone anywhere and the injuries are self-inflicted and we just don't really know what the motive would be.
Tell me how you self-inflict a broken rib?
__________________
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 11:47 PM   #403
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator
 
sir drinks-a-lot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Cole Valley, CA
Posts: 3,673
Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Has anybody said Morton Downy Jr. yet? I don't know how comparable Mort is to this guy as far as celebrity status. But back in the day, he was one of most obnoxious and successful trash television talk show hosts. He claimed he was attacked in a bathroom at SFO by neo-Nazis who roughed him up and drew a swastika on his chest. Unfortunately the arms of the swastika pointed to the left--a mistake no self-respecting neo-Nazi would make but somebody drawing a swastika on his chest while looking in a mirror might.

So, yes it does happen.
Did they ever catch the guys?
__________________
I drink to the general joy o' th' whole table. --William Shakespeare
sir drinks-a-lot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 03:20 AM   #404
baron
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,627
Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
I wouldn't voluntarily give my phone to the police for any reason. I can totally understand why he would not want to give up his, even if he knows that there's nothing on the phone that the police could use against him for any reason. He's really in a tough position because it looks like he's not cooperating when he's merely doing what's prudent.

Phone or no phone, there are too many other holes in this story for me to believe that it's true. Not turning over his phone is not something that I consider evidence of anything.
He doesn't have to turn over his phone, only give the police permission to access his phone records. He won't do that. The reason why is either that the phone call whilst he was attacked didn't happen, or he made other phone calls in that time period that, once investigated, would show there was no attack.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 05:47 AM   #405
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!
 
Mike!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Posts: 31,444
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Tell me how you self-inflict a broken rib?
How do we even know if he really has the reported broken rib or not? When did he go to the hospital?
__________________
"Never judge a man until youíve walked a mile in his shoes...
Because then it won't really matter, youíll be a mile away and have his shoes."

Last edited by Mike!; 1st February 2019 at 05:48 AM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 06:00 AM   #406
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 21,384
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Tell me how you self-inflict a broken rib?
Fall down? Maybe on ice?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 06:10 AM   #407
baron
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,627
Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
How do we even know if he really has the reported broken rib or not? When did he go to the hospital?
He did a hell of a lot of walking for someone with a broken rib. I've not had one but my mate did, and he had trouble shuffling from one room to the next.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 06:11 AM   #408
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NJ USA. We Don't Like You Either
Posts: 7,525
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
He probably assumed it was evidence, had DNA on it and possibly fingerprints, and wanted the police to collect it from where it was left. Or, possibly, he was unaware that it was there. The fact that he left evidence in situ shouldn't be taken as meaning that it wasn't evidence, or that it was faked evidence, or that there is something otherwise fishy with his story.
Yes, that could be plausible. But it does sound a little odd, taken with the long delay before calling police and the rest. Forgive my cynicism, but if he was concerned about salvaging DNA evidence I don't think he would be taking a leisurely stroll after 2 in the morning in 5 degree F weather with said evidence flapping in the Chicago winds.

And I find it also hard to picture not noticing that someone tied a clothesline around your neck, either at the time or sometime in the next 45 minutes. Say, when you were taking off your heavy bleach-soaked and frozen winter coat. You would think that dangling rope around your neck would kind of stand out around then. Or when someone was tying it around your own neck.

Looking for the simplest explanation, I would say it sounds like he may have fallen and cracked his rib and cut his face, and either he or his manager came up with an opportunistic publicity stunt. We are not talking about Spy vs Spy level deception here. If they find these claimed attackers, or video of them, or anything along those lines, I would not assume they were actors or otherwise 'in on it'. But as-is, the whole story seems pretty shaky.
__________________
"Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anything at all" -Rosencrantz, on Hamlet
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 06:16 AM   #409
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!
 
Mike!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Posts: 31,444
Shaky? I've seen swiss cheese with less ventilation than this story.
__________________
"Never judge a man until youíve walked a mile in his shoes...
Because then it won't really matter, youíll be a mile away and have his shoes."
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 06:27 AM   #410
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,988
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Tell me how you self-inflict a broken rib?
I brought it up earlier.
The big US cities have these Bird and Lime scooters all over, you just scan your phone on the bar code and take off on them.

They are fast, and the handles of a scooter are perfect for someone hitting a bump and flying forward, lower rib hitting the handle bar.

They are a fleet of deliciously tempting trauma makers.

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/01/3...spital-visits/

Quote:
“I’ve seen pedestrians injured by scooters with broken hips, multiple bone fractures, broken ribs and joint injuries and soft tissue injuries like lacerations and deep abrasions,” said Ghurabi, estimating he sees several people injured by e-scooters each week
PS- They are even more tempting after a few drinks.
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic

Last edited by Drewbot; 1st February 2019 at 06:29 AM.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 06:35 AM   #411
MikeG
Now. Do it now.
 
MikeG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 24,804
Some of you are really struggling with "self-inflicted". Self inflicted does not mean "had an accident" or "did something stupid". The accusation was that this was a self-inflicted injury, and that means a deliberate act of self-harm. I ask again, how does one self-inflict a broken rib?
__________________
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 06:38 AM   #412
MikeG
Now. Do it now.
 
MikeG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 24,804
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
.......Looking for the simplest explanation, I would say it sounds like he may have fallen and cracked his rib and cut his face, and either he or his manager came up with an opportunistic publicity stunt..........
No, the simplest explanation, which for the life of me I can't see why you people resist like it's bubonic plague, is that the guy is telling the truth. Until you've evidence to the contrary (and how long is it now?...plenty of time to have come up with something), that should be your default/ holding position.

The rest of this stuff is just stuff you've just plucked out of the air.
__________________
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.

Last edited by MikeG; 1st February 2019 at 06:51 AM.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 06:43 AM   #413
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 40,353
Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
I brought it up earlier.
The big US cities have these Bird and Lime scooters all over, you just scan your phone on the bar code and take off on them.

They are fast, and the handles of a scooter are perfect for someone hitting a bump and flying forward, lower rib hitting the handle bar.

They are a fleet of deliciously tempting trauma makers.

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/01/3...spital-visits/



PS- They are even more tempting after a few drinks.
Maybe some of you pesky kids ought to get together with Scoobie to get your accusations straight. One poster has ascertained that all but sixty seconds of his time on the street is accounted for on CCTV clips. You've got him finding an e-scooter in those sixty seconds and crashing it and then walking away nonchalantly towards his friend's place with those potential injuries you cite.

I realize that it's a free for all, but the suppositions are just plain damned funny.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 06:47 AM   #414
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,988
This was in response to 'how do you self inflict a rib injury'

I have no knowledge of how many seconds are unaccounted for.
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 07:10 AM   #415
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 40,353
Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
This was in response to 'how do you self inflict a rib injury'

I have no knowledge of how many seconds are unaccounted for.
???? And not knowing if it was remotely possible you suggested (more than once) that he could've done it on a Lime (e-scooter). That's not dissimilar to thinking he could've done it scuba diving. There's nothing in the narrative to support that either of those could've taken place.

But hey, it's open season for speculation, so might as well spill anything out on the stoop and see how many attaboys the fanz will lick up.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 07:14 AM   #416
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NJ USA. We Don't Like You Either
Posts: 7,525
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
No, the simplest explanation, which for the life of me I can't see why you people resist like it's bubonic plague, is that the guy is telling the truth. Until you've evidence to the contrary (and how long is it now?...plenty of time to have come up with something), that should be your default/ holding position.

The rest of this stuff is just stuff you've just plucked out of the air.
Well...it sort of is my default, but a conditional one. The details need explanation to be plausible. Refusing to give your own phone records to assist police in their investigation? That is as suspicious as you get.

And I think the burden of proof would be on the claimant, no? Something happened to him, certainly (I find it silly to suggest he would have damaged himself). But I had never heard of this cat before this story (not a TV watcher). So under ye olde qui bono standard, he is benefiting with publicity and support for himself and causes. So I take the neutral regarding facts in evidence. The oddities are the reason I don't take it all at face value right out of the gate.
__________________
"Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anything at all" -Rosencrantz, on Hamlet
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 07:15 AM   #417
The Big Dog
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 29,742
we don't have e-scooter systems like Lime in Chicago
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 07:16 AM   #418
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 21,384
Do those scooters even work when they have been sitting outside in very cold temps?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 07:21 AM   #419
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 21,384
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Some of you are really struggling with "self-inflicted". Self inflicted does not mean "had an accident" or "did something stupid". The accusation was that this was a self-inflicted injury, and that means a deliberate act of self-harm. I ask again, how does one self-inflict a broken rib?
Self inflicted gunshot wound?

Those are often not deliberate, yet they are called that.

AFAIK, it just means you did it to yourself, in whatever way.

Anyway, how long until one of these two attackers starts talking?
Do you think they will both be able to just keep quiet? What about their friends who may have seen them preparing rope and bleach?

How long until the two people in the video stills tell us what they saw Smollett doing across the road that night?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 07:27 AM   #420
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,988
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
we don't have e-scooter systems like Lime in Chicago
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...502636421.html

Looks like there are some there.

Detroit is inundated with them
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic

Last edited by Drewbot; 1st February 2019 at 07:29 AM.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 07:30 AM   #421
Cavemonster
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,386
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
How many man hours should the CPD devote to the investigation of a "domestic terrorist attack" without attempting to verify that such an attack actually happened?

The victim is not the only one with an interest in what is going on here.
The argument I'm addressing is that if Smollett is telling the truth, then he would happily hand over his phone because it would help with his case. But his phone would add nothing to his case and all of the reasons even skeptical posters gave show us reasons handing over the phone could suck. Given all that, not turning in his phone doesn't look like particularly damming evidence he's lying.
__________________
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 07:36 AM   #422
Cavemonster
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,386
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post

AFAIK, it just means you did it to yourself, in whatever way.
In this context "self inflicted" refers to a proposed scenario where Smollett is both lying and not trying to cover up some other accident. I suppose a person could have an accident and then decide to opportunistically use their injuries to create a lie they have other motivations to make, but that's getting into the far fetched regions of an already unlikely speculative field.
__________________
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 07:45 AM   #423
baron
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,627
Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
The argument I'm addressing is that if Smollett is telling the truth, then he would happily hand over his phone because it would help with his case. But his phone would add nothing to his case and all of the reasons even skeptical posters gave show us reasons handing over the phone could suck. Given all that, not turning in his phone doesn't look like particularly damming evidence he's lying.
As I pointed out, I believe the phone is a red herring, the police don't care about the phone, they want his phone records.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 07:46 AM   #424
MikeG
Now. Do it now.
 
MikeG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 24,804
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
......How long until the two people in the video stills tell us what they saw Smollett doing across the road that night?
How long before all the witnesses to the scooter crash come forward? How long before the wrecked scooter is discovered? (Obviously no-one would have thought of putting tracking devices on these things, would they.)
__________________
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 07:51 AM   #425
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,988
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
How long before all the witnesses to the scooter crash come forward? How long before the wrecked scooter is discovered? (Obviously no-one would have thought of putting tracking devices on these things, would they.)
They have tracking devices. You can go on your app and see where the unused ones are, Walk to it, scan the bar code, it lights up, and you get on it.

I wonder if he doesn't want the scooter app to be analyzed by the police. So he won't give them his phone.
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 07:52 AM   #426
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,988
Originally Posted by baron View Post
As I pointed out, I believe the phone is a red herring, the police don't care about the phone, they want his phone records.
At least we know the phone didn't get smashed in the attack.
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 07:53 AM   #427
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 21,384
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
How long before all the witnesses to the scooter crash come forward? How long before the wrecked scooter is discovered? (Obviously no-one would have thought of putting tracking devices on these things, would they.)
Rest assured that the police will consider all sorts of scenarios.

Many of them ridiculous.

Especially if the simple avenues of investigation don't seem to fit.
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 08:00 AM   #428
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 21,384
Would these supposed scooters even be out there at that time? Assuming that they work after a very cold soak.

In reading up on them, it seems like they are typically collected up at night, inspected and charged up, and then put back out again early in the morning.
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 08:03 AM   #429
MikeG
Now. Do it now.
 
MikeG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 24,804
Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
....I wonder if he doesn't want the scooter app to be analyzed by the police. So he won't give them his phone.
So, we've got no reports yet of witnesses to a scooter crash. We've got no reports yet of a damaged or missing scooter. We've got no reports of him riding a scooter. The police aren't mentioning anything about scooters (indeed, they're saying he is the victim, not a suspect). The scooters are reportedly not available at night anyway. Yet the reason he hasn't handed over his phone records to the police (who could just ask the scooter company for the details anyway) is because he's hiding evidence of having a crash on an electric scooter. It's going to be very difficult to take anything you say seriously ever again.
__________________
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.

Last edited by MikeG; 1st February 2019 at 08:07 AM.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 08:10 AM   #430
baron
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,627
Here's my guess (and spare the outrage, it's a guess). He left Subway, went to walk home, met someone, went back to their place, there was a disagreement, a scuffle, he left and walked to his friend's place and, not wanting to admit what happened, made up a story about a lynching by two MAGA-shouting racist homophones. That would explain the lost 30 minutes, his lack of serious injuries and his reluctance to permit access to his phone records (the alleged phone call was never made). As for the clothes lines and the bleach, who knows, but they're more likely to be found indoors than out.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 08:16 AM   #431
Cavemonster
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,386
Originally Posted by baron View Post
As I pointed out, I believe the phone is a red herring, the police don't care about the phone, they want his phone records.
It isn't hard to imagine good reasons he wouldn't turn over records either. If he at some point called a phone sex line or a suicide hotline for instance. Records can easily be personal in a million ways.

And again, all the records would confirm would be the existence and time of the call that he already told them. If he is being honest then neither phone or records add anything to the case. So not turning either over is fully consistent with him being honest.

There certainly are some red flags, but I would count phone or records among them.
__________________
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 08:25 AM   #432
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger
 
AJM8125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 20,425
Originally Posted by baron View Post
Here's my guess (and spare the outrage, it's a guess). He left Subway, went to walk home, met someone, went back to their place, there was a disagreement, a scuffle, he left and walked to his friend's place and, not wanting to admit what happened, made up a story about a lynching by two MAGA-shouting racist homophones. That would explain the lost 30 minutes, his lack of serious injuries and his reluctance to permit access to his phone records (the alleged phone call was never made). As for the clothes lines and the bleach, who knows, but they're more likely to be found indoors than out.
Thatís basically where Iím at. Of course he was beaten. However, Iím afraid his account of how that came to be has pegged the BS meter.
__________________


The better you get, the harder you work.
AJM8125 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 08:30 AM   #433
MikeG
Now. Do it now.
 
MikeG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 24,804
Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
That’s basically where I’m at.........
That pile of speculation in your quote fails to account for the witness on the other end of the phone at the time of the attacks who heard the "MAGA" shouts. You're being selective.

Why would you think the police are saying that Smollett is the victim, and not the accused?
__________________
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 08:30 AM   #434
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,988
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
So, we've got no reports yet of witnesses to a scooter crash. We've got no reports yet of a damaged or missing scooter. We've got no reports of him riding a scooter. The police aren't mentioning anything about scooters (indeed, they're saying he is the victim, not a suspect). The scooters are reportedly not available at night anyway. Yet the reason he hasn't handed over his phone records to the police (who could just ask the scooter company for the details anyway) is because he's hiding evidence of having a crash on an electric scooter. It's going to be very difficult to take anything you say seriously ever again.
A single broken rib is more likely to be a result of a handlebar injury, than a fall or a kick.

What injury results in a single broken rib?
Oh you land on a handle bar.
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 08:33 AM   #435
MikeG
Now. Do it now.
 
MikeG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 24,804
Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
A single broken rib is more likely to be a result of a handlebar injury, than a fall or a kick.

What injury results in a single broken rib?
Oh you land on a handle bar.
Like I say.........it hard to take anything you say seriously when you're "investigating" a scenario which only exists in your own mind.
__________________
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 08:37 AM   #436
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NJ USA. We Don't Like You Either
Posts: 7,525
Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
A single broken rib is more likely to be a result of a handlebar injury, than a fall or a kick.

What injury results in a single broken rib?
Oh you land on a handle bar.
Dude, there are a bazillion ways to crack a rib. Since things with handlebars do not appear available at 2AM in Chicago, and a sane person wouldn't be riding one in 5degree weather anyway, i think we can safely drop that one.
__________________
"Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anything at all" -Rosencrantz, on Hamlet
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 08:37 AM   #437
The Big Dog
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 29,742
Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...502636421.html

Looks like there are some there.

Detroit is inundated with them
Not yet, next summer
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 08:41 AM   #438
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,988
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Not yet, next summer
OK maybe he borrowed someone's.
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 08:42 AM   #439
carlitos
"mŠs divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 19,893
Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...502636421.html

Looks like there are some there.

Detroit is inundated with them
That's too bad for Detroit. As for Chicago, it's not summer festival season, and North Water Street is not on the South Side. From the link that you posted.



Originally Posted by Drewbot's link that he evidently didn't read
Chicago is conducting a pilot e-scooter program on the South Side, allowing them to operate on the streets during certain summer festivals to evaluate where the new technology could go next.






Originally Posted by Drewbot more nonsense
They have tracking devices. You can go on your app and see where the unused ones are, Walk to it, scan the bar code, it lights up, and you get on it.

I wonder if he doesn't want the scooter app to be analyzed by the police. So he won't give them his phone.
There. Is. No. Scooter. App.



There are no dockless scooter rentals in downtown Chicago.



If you want to write fiction, go to a ******* literary forum.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 08:42 AM   #440
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 22,466
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Tell me how you self-inflict a broken rib?
My thought was from an intentional fall to the ground. He may not have wanted to break a rib and instead wanted to cause a bruise or even just to get a lot of salt and dirt on his clothes. This all would be to make it look like the attackers roughed you up and you even got knocked down. So maybe he threw himself down onto a curb or some other thing that could cause a bruise. So maybe he hit his ribcage so hard that it broke a rib. And maybe he really didn't intend to cause that degree of self-injury.

Anyway, I think the report is of a fractured rib and that can even be a tiny hairline fracture. That's not the same as a major break.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:17 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.